Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

did 20 mile lsr yesterday- wasn't feeling great for the first few miles but felt better & better as time went on- (except for the last 2 miles which were tough)
    Even though the pace was sloooow I'm delighted that I didn't have to stop to take walk breaks.
    Feeling more confident about enjoying the day itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I love reading all the posts. Despite a lot of niggles there seems to be a real buzz of positivity in here after the weekend. How far we've all come :)

Those of you losing weight well done. I haven't even shifted half a bleedin' pound :( I guess that's what happens when you eat all around you after every run :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

ariana` wrote: »
    I love reading all the posts. Despite a lot of niggles there seems to be a real buzz of positivity in here after the weekend. How far we've all come :)

Those of you losing weight well done. I haven't even shifted half a bleedin' pound :( I guess that's what happens when you eat all around you after every run :rolleyes:

Was about to post something similar! Dreading the post training cycle period now when the appetite remains and I'm not running 35 miles a week ! :)

Was about to post something similar! Dreading the post training cycle period now when the appetite remains and I'm not running 35 miles a week ! :)
    Oh god I didn't even think of that! I better learn some self control.....ah well maybe tomorrow ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Still no tracker up for the HM? The one on the website is for 2016. Would it be usual to have it still to be posted this close?

• Advertisement

Also:
    SATURDAY ... Windy with rain although this may hold off for eastern counties until late in the day, strong southwest winds developing (50-80 km/hr), highs near 17 or 18 C.

Donabate and Lusk are in "eastern counties" so maybe we'll be okay????? Right ..... right ..... right??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

quickbeam wrote: »
    Still no tracker up for the HM? The one on the website is for 2016. Would it be usual to have it still to be posted this close?

Don't know why they haven't changed the link, but just change the year on that url http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2017#/tracker

There's also an app available for iphone and android which is very good.

Don't know why they haven't changed the link, but just change the year on that url http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2017#/tracker

There's also an app available for iphone and android which is very good.

Thanks. I did actually try that there at the weekend, but it didn't work. It's working now, just to make me look silly :):o

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Well, it's been a good while since I posted here. Last 4/5 weeks haven't been great for me, running-wise. I was on holidays for 2 weeks with little chance for running, and I had a bit of a niggle in my thigh which I've never had before, so I was extra careful with it. I did manage to get a 20 mile LSR in a couple of weeks ago though, so my confidence isn't totally gone.

I'm thankfully getting back to it properly now, and managed to get a 16 mile long run in before the match yesterday, with 2 sets of 4 mile @ 4:40 with 500m rest between. It was a bit of a makey-uppy run, but I'm happy with it. A couple of niggles that came on with the fast pace (but disappeared the minute I slowed down) that make me a bit worried, but some good stretching and strengthening before the race should make it ok.

I'm a tad unsure what to do now, since I've missed the progression of the last 5 weeks so the recommended sessions over the next few weeks are probably too much for me. I'm doing the HM this weekend, where I'll aim for under 1:30, and then from there I guess I'll see how I get on. My overall plan is to get as many marathon pace miles in, but how I go about that will need to be decided.

Hope it's all going well for the rest of you. Not long left now, it's mad to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Also:

Donabate and Lusk are in "eastern counties" so maybe we'll be okay????? Right ..... right ..... right??? :eek:

Yes let's hope it is east enough although I do not mind if the wind is at our backs pushing us uphill

although cant be as bad as this weather for the half marathon in Copenhagen I hope ;)
    https://runningmagazine.ca/2017-copenhagen-half-marathon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Thanks. I did actually try that there at the weekend, but it didn't work. It's working now, just to make me look silly :):o

Ah, they must have only made it live in the last couple of days then :)

Ahhh, Jeez! I'd not heard that one before. Definitely let's hope it's not that bad. It even makes last year's FD look good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Baby75 wrote: »
    Yes let's hope it is east enough although I do not mind if the wind is at our backs pushing us uphill

although cant be as bad as this weather for the half marathon in Copenhagen I hope ;)
    https://runningmagazine.ca/2017-copenhagen-half-marathon/

Don't be worrying about the hills, it's only 100m over 6 miles. It'd be mad to get freaked out over that, especially in the first half when the legs are fresh.....positive thinking folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I'm thankfully getting back to it properly now, and managed to get a 16 mile long run in before the match yesterday, with 2 sets of 4 mile @ 4:40 with 500m rest between. .

Wow that's some speedy running. fair play

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Don't be worrying about the hills, it's only 100m over 6 miles. It'd be mad to get freaked out over that, especially in the first half when the legs are fresh.....positive thinking folks!

that's good to hear. when I read/heard the first half was all uphill, I had just presumed it was much steeper than that

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    that's good to hear. when I read/heard the first half was all uphill, I had just presumed it was much steeper than that

So did I :D even when I watched the video on the route I assumed they were fairly decent sized

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

There are some significant drags and steep sections in the first 7 miles. Good practice for the first 10 miles of DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yep that's just about 1% its a drag not a hill. Shouldn't really impact your running at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Singer wrote: »
    There are some significant drags and steep sections in the first 7 miles. Good practice for the first 10 miles of DCM!

I don't really recall any hills in the first 10 miles of DCM unless the route is different to 2014. The hill coming up by UCD is the only one that sticks in my memory but that's way after 10 miles.

D3PO wrote: »
    I don't really recall any hills in the first 10 miles of DCM unless the route is different to 2014. The hill coming up by UCD is the only one that sticks in my memory but that's way after 10 miles.

not sure of the route from 2014, but up manor st is a bit of a hill anyway

• Advertisement

I meant to add, my calf is feeling much better today :D no discomfort when walking and only slightly tender to touch compared to yesterday so I am happy with that, I am still going to rest it today and wait till it is 100% better and I am still booking an appointment with physio on payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I was talking to an elite runner (approx 2.35 marathon time) who reckons that the first half of dcm is tougher than the second half! You just feel the hills more in the second half due to the tired legs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Singer wrote: »

I drove up that way from Balbriggan on Sunday and there's a couple of decent drags from mile 9 to 12 on the old main Dublin/Belfast road from Ballough up to just before Turvey Avenue too, nothing like the incline in the first half , but on tired legs could be challenging enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Decent hill up Manor Street just good that it comes early and also just past the 10 mile mark coming out of Chapelizod there is a good incline.

Through the Park and into Castleknock is more of a long drag which isn't helped that you can see a good couple of km ahead of you.
    not sure of the route from 2014, but up manor st is a bit of a hill anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

D3PO wrote:

Miles 3 to 7 up through Stoneybatter and the Phoenix Park are all uphill. There's a sharp hill at the underpass on St Laurences road as well. 13 to 15 is a long drag as is 20 to the bottom of "heartbreak hill". Run the first 10 miles too hard and you'll know all about it at mile 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

thunderdog wrote: »
    I was talking to an elite runner (approx 2.35 marathon time) who reckons that the first half of dcm is tougher than the second half! You just feel the hills more in the second half due to the tired legs

The first half has the highest point (Castleknock) and the steepest hills (those godawful hills going up into Inchicore). The first 10 miles will happily eat away at your energy reserves, getting the pacing right (as in, knowing when to slow down!) for the first 10 miles is a big part of a successful Dublin marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thunderdog wrote: »
    Miles 3 to 7 up through Stoneybatter and the Phoenix Park are all uphill. There's a sharp hill at the underpass on St Laurences road as well. 13 to 15 is a long drag as is 20 to the bottom of "heartbreak hill". Run the first 10 miles too hard and you'll know all about it at mile 20.

Fully agree with this - going up chesterfield in the PP is about 2.5m to Castleknock Gate (typically the wind is also in your face) - throw in another couple of miles up to the right turn past MYO's and you reach mile 7 - which is the highest point on the course.

The crowd at Castleknock are fantastic and you can lose yourself in these couple of uphill miles on a wave of euphoria (ok.....maybe thats a bit much)....

You can leave your race here without even knowing it, until your legs get tired later in the race.

My advice is to take these few miles with this mindset.

There is a good downhill at Tower road right away, entering the park and another downhill at the Upper Glen Road - use this to recover - not to bank time. Maybe do a physical body check here and take a gel.

As the race draws near, there are a couple of great guides on the course that will be posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

My takeaway from the few experienced posters above is that we should familiarise ourselves with the course and know where to speed up and when to slow down. I haven't even looked at the route , I haven't the greatest knowledge of the course despite living in Dublin my whole life , my plan was to go at it blind and follow the pacers. I suppose we could write on our arms mile 1 - fast / mile 2 slow etc and try run to a pre determined plan, how much will running 10-20 seconds a mile too fast in the early miles really take out of you in the later miles? Considering that the paces we will be running will be way slower than paces we can run for 5 and 10k races?
    As an inexperienced runner I find it hard to imagine running 4.20per km when I should be running 4.40 per km doing me much damage if I only hold it for a few km ? Am I way off ?

Well done on the 20 miler ariana, it's certainly a milestone distance.
    Take care with the shin and I'd recommend no running until you see the physio. You want to give yourself every opportunity to recover.

Well i just had a physio appointment. No serious damage tg but lots of tightness in my right leg in particular - glutes, hamstring, quads, peroneals (these caused the shin pain). Lots of ouch moments but he gave both legs a good going over which they needed. No instructions not to run (he knew he'd be wasting his time :D). I'm back to him the week after next.

So i'm good to go. Looking forward to running this evening now as i haven't run since Saturday :)

• Advertisement

Fully agree with this - going up chesterfield in the PP is about 2.5m to Castleknock Gate (typically the wind is also in your face) - throw in another couple of miles up to the right turn past MYO's and you reach mile 7 - which is the highest point on the course.

The crowd at Castleknock are fantastic and you can lose yourself in these couple of uphill miles on a wave of euphoria (ok.....maybe thats a bit much)....

You can leave your race here without even knowing it, until your legs get tired later in the race.

My advice is to take these few miles with this mindset.

There is a good downhill at Tower road right away, entering the park and another downhill at the Upper Glen Road - use this to recover - not to bank time. Maybe do a physical body check here and take a gel.

As the race draws near, there are a couple of great guides on the course that will be posted.

I guess there is plenty of time for this during the taper but while the subject has been brought up...

I read a lot about "paying later on for going out too fast" but i'm not really sure what this means for someone like me who is really is plucking numbers from the sky when setting a target time.

At the moment i'll be targeting somewhere in the range 4:15-4:30 (6:00-6:20min/km). So is the recommendation to do the first 7 miles (with the drags at the slower pace and then if i'm feeling good gradually pick up towards the faster 6:00min/km pace? And if i want to go with a pacer? Would the advice be to go with the 4:30 pacer for 7 miles and then if feeling good pull away slightly and if not feeling good stick with the group?

Advertisement