Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lazare wrote: »
    Thanks for asking. Everything going great on the bambino front, got them home yesterday, hectic day but it's great.

My training is going pretty well, got out for a 16 miler on Sat morn, and the boards session yesterday morning. Had to skip the gym on Mon as couldn't fit it in.

It's a pretty easy week in terms of volume from now until Sat which suits me perfectly but my main issue right now is my diet. I've been eating really poorly over the last few days, McDonald's, Pizza, Chinese and an Indian too. I normally eat really well but just couldn't find the time to cook. Between that and the stress levels up to 90 my gut is feeling it right now.

Hopefully good eating over the next few days will sort it.

Great to hear from you Lazare and delighted to hear all going well.

Could you try to bulk cook meals? Make enough for 2 or even 3 days at a time and freeze or eat the same for 2 consecutive days. Also try some quick dinners such as pasta/tinned tuna/salmon/frozen peas in a jar of sauce (jars aren't good for ya I know but they're not the worst thing in the world). Pasta & spinach with pesto is a favourite in my house and it's so quick.

Your OH will need to eat well now too especially if she's feeding but either way she will need her strength to get over major surgery and mind the little one.

Also I read somewhere before that of take aways thin based pizza is the healthiest option for runners ;)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Ariana delighted to hear that all is good with your leg :) did you get out for a run I hope you enjoyed it

I did thanks. Hip is a bit niggly but I think that is something I may have to live with for the next 6 weeks. It's bareable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    I did thanks. Hip is a bit niggly but I think that is something I may have to live with for the next 6 weeks. It's bareable :)

I have a similar issue with my left hip its weak glutes but it always feels better when I am running and it is a lot better since I went to physio but I do not think it will fully go till I strengthen my glutes and my core but yea I know exactly how you feel

I'm hoping to get out for a run this afternoon rain or no rain, I plan is to take it nice and easy and I will stop if calf starts again but it feels fine today not even tender to touch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I guess there is plenty of time for this during the taper but while the subject has been brought up...

I read a lot about "paying later on for going out too fast" but i'm not really sure what this means for someone like me who is really is plucking numbers from the sky when setting a target time.

At the moment i'll be targeting somewhere in the range 4:15-4:30 (6:00-6:20min/km). So is the recommendation to do the first 7 miles (with the drags at the slower pace and then if i'm feeling good gradually pick up towards the faster 6:00min/km pace? And if i want to go with a pacer? Would the advice be to go with the 4:30 pacer for 7 miles and then if feeling good pull away slightly and if not feeling good stick with the group?

Its still a good few weeks away - so dont be worrying too much.

I'd encourage going with the 4:20 pacers - my point was more so going harder than 4:20 pace at the start, especially uphill and when you get a great crowd like at Castleknock (I'm biased here), you could push on harder and do more damage as it seems 'easy' at this stage.

Once you maintain it with the pace group, then you should be ok.

Anyway - stay with the 4:20's and then pick it up ;)

drkpower wrote: »
    SNAP!; that has been exactly my concern all along; that all of these slow runs had 'trained the fast out of me'. Earlier in the training when i was doing 4 and 5 and 6 miles at PMP, i couldn't help but think that while it was perfectly manageable over that short distance, i couldn't see myself maintaining it for 26 miles. It made my heart sink.

Partly for that reason (and partly by accident!) i ended up doing a half marathon in training last week at faster than my HM pace (obviously much faster than PMP). While i was feeling great, during almost every stride of every mile after about mile 7, i kept thinking 'oh sh!t, this is going to bite me soon'; 'im going to collapse after 10 miles and so on and so on'; but the strange thing is, I didn't. Instead, to my complete surprise, I felt nearly as strong at mile 12 and 13 as i did at mile 1 and 2 , and I ended up with a 10 mile and HM PB (with no water, no gels, no jelly babies and really no intention of doing that at all!).

This didn't compute at all. Before marathon training, i used to feel pretty crappy at the end of 10ks and parkruns; able to finish with a bit of a kick, but definitely feeling like i really left everything out on the road. When i was reflecting on that, what Wubble and AMK and others have been saying for weeks finally clicked with me (not that i didn't believe them but, ya know....). All those slow miles, the gradual increase in mileage, the banking of miles of muscle memory, is all to build the endurance. Endurance endurance endurance. We can all run fast (not that PMP is really fast at all). But what we are training for is to sustain it. The pace will follow. Everyone else probably realised all of that before now, but for me it was a moment of clarity!

So, what my experience has told me is forget about the pace; that will come. just concentrate on banking the miles. If you can sustain 9.00 pace (or whatever) for 20 miles, there is no reason why you cant sustain 08.20 for 26.2 miles.

Delighted to hear that - super work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I have a similar issue with my left hip its weak glutes but it always feels better when I am running and it is a lot better since I went to physio but I do not think it will fully go till I strengthen my glutes and my core but yea I know exactly how you feel

that's my issue too. Physio said its my weak glutes that are causing the it band issue in my knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

D3PO wrote: »
    that's my issue too. Physio said its my weak glutes that are causing the it band issue in my knee.

My right knee was bothering me as well it was only starting when I went to physio but its fine now FX, my pelvis was being pulled up on my left side putting more pressure on the right leg so he worked that out OUCH LOL

Do you have exercises to do to help strengthen them

I'm hoping to get out for a run this afternoon rain or no rain, I plan is to take it nice and easy and I will stop if calf starts again but it feels fine today not even tender to touch

I hope it's ok today for you. I keep meaning to do more squats and things but the priority is on running at the mo. Its hard to juggle everything.

I hope it's ok today for you. I keep meaning to do more squats and things but the priority is on running at the mo. Its hard to juggle everything.

Some time saving tips I was given for leg strength:

While you brush your teeth in the morning and evening, do 10 squats each time - build it up over weeks to do single leg squats (while brushing your teeth). - 'cos you always brush your teeth, right.

While sitting at work - raise 1 leg straight out in front of you, count to 3. Put it down and alternate. repeat by 8-10.

While sitting - put your clenched fist between your knees (or a soft ball etc) and squeeze your knees together for 5 seconds. repeat by 10-15.

Also try to keep a golf ball by your desk and every now and then roll each foot on it - its great for looking after an often overlooked part of our running muscles.

I can picture you all now at work..................

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

back on the road last night and done about 6m and feel fine. really looking forward to Sat now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who the hell is this Mr Higgins with a 3:30 50k time?!

RasTa wrote: »
    Who the hell is this Mr Higgins with a 3:30 50k time?!

He's an animal - not a novice by any stretch of the imagination and I didn't know he was a Boardsie (maybe he's not??)

He's also a great musician........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's an animal - not a novice by any stretch of the imagination and I didn't know he was a Boardsie (maybe he's not??)

He's also a great musician........

Yeah hopefully he is. I wanted to ask him why he seemed to drop the kinavaras after 300+ km's

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

Question in relation to pacers on the day...what pacers will be in Wave 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

peterc14 wrote: »
    Question in relation to pacers on the day...what pacers will be in Wave 2?

3:40 and 3:50 according to the website.

My right knee was bothering me as well it was only starting when I went to physio but its fine now FX, my pelvis was being pulled up on my left side putting more pressure on the right leg so he worked that out OUCH LOL

Do you have exercises to do to help strengthen them

yep i will drop you a pm and can arrange to get them to you

Just a brief reminder to all the boardsies on here that training is training and should be treated as such. I see people out every evening I run jumping across roads without breaking stride and properly looking just so they can keep a certain training pace going.

I mention this as one of the lads in work who is (or at least was) doing DCM this year, he got wiped out of it by a car during one of his runs this week and ended up in hospital. If your training on the roads and you need to stop for traffic then please STOP.

Having to sit at the lights jogging on the spot for 30 seconds is not the end of the world. Yes I'm Captain obvious but sometimes things just need to be put into black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

+1 to this.

Where I live, there's a lot of roundabouts and other junctions, some of which are very busy, on or near my regular run routes. In addition, you've got the usual people coming in or out of their houses etc. It's one of the reasons why I never run with headphones. Small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Some wise words there D3PO, very easy to get caught up on times or milage.

I'm still hoping to get back out, been feeling pull on hamstring all week and can't afford to risk it. Wedding tomorrow so I'll get out on Sunday, few more days resting it I suppose.

I was at the 26km mark when I got injured, I was thinking of trying to get up to 32km or so and hope for the best on the day, would people say that's possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

• Advertisement

haha

Some time saving tips I was given for leg strength:

While you brush your teeth in the morning and evening, do 10 squats each time - build it up over weeks to do single leg squats (while brushing your teeth). - 'cos you always brush your teeth, right.

While sitting at work - raise 1 leg straight out in front of you, count to 3. Put it down and alternate. repeat by 8-10.

While sitting - put your clenched fist between your knees (or a soft ball etc) and squeeze your knees together for 5 seconds. repeat by 10-15.

Also try to keep a golf ball by your desk and every now and then roll each foot on it - its great for looking after an often overlooked part of our running muscles.

I can picture you all now at work..................

My kids had a good laugh at me this morning doing squats in the bathroom while brushing my teeth... Then they joined in and it turned into mayhem with them all falling over themselves and each other :pac: But i got 10 squats done :p

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    back on the road last night and done about 6m and feel fine. really looking forward to Sat now

Yay :)

Ok question for the experts or anyone else who'd like to weigh in, i welcome all opinions.

I'm not doing the HM this weekend.

I have essentially 2 LSRs remaining before the taper starts. The 1st will be done next Monday 25th and the last will be weekend of Oct 5/6th. I'm travelling in between and OH is away and i can't see a work-around.

I've done 4 LSRs which have brought me close to or above 3 hrs.

16m: 2:57
    16m: 2:53
    18.5m: 3:03
    20m: 3:23

So these are some of my options that i'm considering

1. 1 x 18m, 1 x 20m
    2. 2 x 18m
    3. 1 x 16, 1 x 18m
    OR
    4. At this stage would it be worth breaking an LSR into 2 runs? For example, next weekend I could do 6m on Sunday evening + 16m on Monday?

The 20m hurt a lot and to be honest i don't really want to do it again (in training ;)) unless someone tells me that it would really really really benefit me :o

Ariana, I'm sure some of the more experienced and knowledgeable runners will reply but for me, I've done one 20m so far and I really want to do another - at least for the mental aspect of having a couple of them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Either WW or maybe AMK did suggest that maybe doing 10m on consecutive days can be useful as you would be running on tired legs the second day. I'm doing a half on Saturday but in the unmodified HHN1 plan there is 18 miles this week. So my plan is to do 5 miles on Sunday if I can fit it in, am meeting friends for a walk that day but have only done 16 LSR so far and am concerned about going from 16 to 20 with nothing in between.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Ariana, I'm sure some of the more experienced and knowledgeable runners will reply but for me, I've done one 20m so far and I really want to do another - at least for the mental aspect of having a couple of them done.

Hmmmm ya good point. I guess i'm just nervous of the 20 miler after last weekend. I got a great buzz from it but i felt pretty beat up after it too.

I'm so tied with the 2 weekends. Next Monday won't really work for a 20 miler, i've a long day of travelling (flying transatlantic) on Tuesday and i don't really want to be as sore as i was last Sunday doing that. Also, if i do end up sore again there's no chance for Physio until more than a week later.

I wonder is Oct 7/8th very late in the day for doing 20m :confused:

muddypaws wrote: »
    Either WW or maybe AMK did suggest that maybe doing 10m on consecutive days can be useful as you would be running on tired legs the second day. I'm doing a half on Saturday but in the unmodified HHN1 plan there is 18 miles this week. So my plan is to do 5 miles on Sunday if I can fit it in, am meeting friends for a walk that day but have only done 16 LSR so far and am concerned about going from 16 to 20 with nothing in between.

This is what i was thinking of doing maybe 6m + 16m, a PM & AM run so there's really only 12 hours or so between them.

Best of luck with the HM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wonder is Oct 7/8th very late in the day for doing 20m :confused:

That's the weekend for the 20 miler in the HHN1 plan. I'm travelling that weekend so will be doing the 20 on Friday 6th

Ariana I ahve two LSRs left due roughly the same dates as yours (-2 days in each case)

I will be doing 1 x 18 this weekend and the other will be a 20 miler.

There is no right or wrong answer but if you struggled witht he 20 miler it will be good to do another both from a physical and mental standpoint.

You dont want to get to mile 20 of the marathon and mentally shut down. That happened to mein 2014 and it is a bad place to be !!

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    That's the weekend for the 20 miler in the HHN1 plan. I'm travelling that weekend so will be doing the 20 on Friday 6th

Really? Ok then well i guess it's not too late so. There's an 18m in the boards plan that weekend but i could do 20m, i've nothing else on that whole weekend and it's taper time after that.
    D3PO wrote: »
    Ariana I ahve two LSRs left due roughly the same dates as yours (-2 days in each case)

I will be doing 1 x 18 this weekend and the other will be a 20 miler.

There is no right or wrong answer but if you struggled witht he 20 miler it will be good to do another both from a physical and mental standpoint.

You dont want to get to mile 20 of the marathon and mentally shut down. That happened to mein 2014 and it is a bad place to be !!

Yes it's probably wise to do another 20m even fro the mental boost. Wohooo can't believe we're down to our last couple of LSRs. Don't know whether i'm more excited or relieved or nervous :D

Advertisement