Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ariana, I'm planning an 18, 20 and 22 mile though not quite sure in what order. Prob 18 this week. The 22 is more for mental reasons as I just want to get over the 20. I think would be well worth your while doing another 20 just for your own head and on the day you'll be able to think that you have this done twice already. I dread every long run but just think - you only have two more to do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ariana, I'm planning an 18, 20 and 22 mile though not quite sure in what order. Prob 18 this week. The 22 is more for mental reasons as I just want to get over the 20. I think would be well worth your while doing another 20 just for your own head and on the day you'll be able to think that you have this done twice already. I dread every long run but just think - you only have two more to do!!!

I'll do the 20m on weekend of Oct 7th. You're dead right. I will be glad and psychologically knowing that once it's done it's the start of the taper will get me through it. It's so hard to believe we're at this stage already. Looking back at the early weeks i remember 10 & 12 miles being daunting, I did 10m yesterday and it felt like a normal distance.

ariana` wrote: »
    I'll do the 20m on weekend of Oct 7th. You're dead right. I will be glad and psychologically knowing that once it's done it's the start of the taper will get me through it. It's so hard to believe we're at this stage already. Looking back at the early weeks i remember 10 & 12 miles being daunting, I did 10m yesterday and it felt like a normal distance.

I know. I was talking about the next few weeks saying only 3 more LSRs and then 12 miles and 8 miles as if they are nothing. I did just over 10 miles too yesterday. What was interesting though was I treated it as a short run and just had a very light breakfast and didn't bring any gels with me and the last km was a real drag - and that was just over the 1.5hr mark too. Must take a few jellies with me or something the next time.

I think I'll prob do my 22 the weekend of the 7th too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossy74

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my hands on Gu energy gels (preferably chocolate outrage or chocolate peanut butter flavours - guess you can tell I like chocolate!) but finding them difficult to get. They're available on some online sites but outrageously expensive. Is there anywhere around Dublin selling them? I've tried 53 degrees north, run hub, run logic, runners need but they don't stock them (Runner need do but not the flavours I want). Can't stomach any other gels and with the marathon approaching becoming desperate!

Thanks for any suggestions. S.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I know. I was talking about the next few weeks saying only 3 more LSRs and then 12 miles and 8 miles as if they are nothing. I did just over 10 miles too yesterday. What was interesting though was I treated it as a short run and just had a very light breakfast and didn't bring any gels with me and the last km was a real drag - and that was just over the 1.5hr mark too. Must take a few jellies with me or something the next time.

I think I'll prob do my 22 the weekend of the 7th too.

If i wasn't sore i'd consider 22 as well but if last Saturday was anything to by that won't be the case :o What kind of build up had you done for Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi everyone

Hopeing to complete 1st marathon next month. Training gone to plan so far hoping to do 4h.15m or thereabouts. I'm away for the next 10 days warm country with very little proper facilities outdoors to run. However there is a threadmill here so I will use that. I'm just wondering should I just use the next 10 days as a rest time with a few small runs thrown in or should I stick slavishly to the plan I have been following which will means a lot of 8milers and a long 14 miler. Thanks in advance as I'm starting to panic a little.

If i wasn't sore i'd consider 22 as well but if last Saturday was anything to by that won't be the case :o What kind of build up had you done for Cork?

I actually went up to 36.5kms 3 weeks beforehand (22.7miles) and my plan had me going up to 38km's 2 weeks beforehand which was a lot and I couldn't do it due to injury anyway and only lasted till about 25kms that day and got on a bus! I had a personal trainer do up a plan for me which included a lot of strength work and a lot of individual stuff and then pretty much the normal LSRs. His point of the very long runs was purely mental to help my head on the day.

Hi everyone

Hopeing to complete 1st marathon next month. Training gone to plan so far hoping to do 4h.15m or thereabouts. I'm away for the next 10 days warm country with very little proper facilities outdoors to run. However there is a threadmill here so I will use that. I'm just wondering should I just use the next 10 days as a rest time with a few small runs thrown in or should I stick slavishly to the plan I have been following which will means a lot of 8milers and a long 14 miler. Thanks in advance as I'm starting to panic a little.

Personally I hate treadmills so I'd do lots of short runs and I think will stand to you when you get back then. Some of the experienced people may recommend otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

So I probably won't make the HM this Saturday, which is still irking me as I was looking forward to it cause I'd have loved to get a good indicator of what time I could do the full marathon in.

I plan on doing a decent run on Sunday to make up for this, so what could I do that'd be a good replacement? I was thinking a 15mile + long run with a good chunk of HMP and MP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

mossy74 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to get my hands on Gu energy gels (preferably chocolate outrage or chocolate peanut butter flavours - guess you can tell I like chocolate!) but finding them difficult to get. They're available on some online sites but outrageously expensive. Is there anywhere around Dublin selling them? I've tried 53 degrees north, run hub, run logic, runners need but they don't stock them (Runner need do but not the flavours I want). Can't stomach any other gels and with the marathon approaching becoming desperate!

Thanks for any suggestions. S.

Have a look at Wheelworx at Fonthill retail park.

http://www.wheelworx.ie/energy-food/GU-Energy-Gel-32g-Sachet?sort=pd.name&order=ASC

I like these and the Kenitica cola ones - both for different times in the marathon as the Gu is very.........guuuuueeeyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So I probably won't make the HM this Saturday, which is still irking me as I was looking forward to it cause I'd have loved to get a good indicator of what time I could do the full marathon in.

I plan on doing a decent run on Sunday to make up for this, so what could I do that'd be a good replacement? I was thinking a 15mile + long run with a good chunk of HMP and MP?

13.1 miles at HMP? :)

Meno's plan has 18 miles with 10@MP the week of the half if you're not racing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit#gid=906928231

Singer wrote: »
    13.1 miles at HMP? :)

Meno's plan has 18 miles with 10@MP the week of the half if you're not racing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit#gid=906928231

Heh, true, but I definitely wouldn't be able to keep HM pace on my own.

Will probably give that a go actually, cheers. I was actually following that plan up until 5 weeks ago when holiday and a niggle got in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Gonna race this mofo and Give it Socks. I think I'd leave a bit of my soul out there if I didnt.

Now for a strat. It's set up perfectly for a neg split.

Given the madness over the last couple of weeks between injury layoff and creating a new human I feel quite good, and ready.

Let's do this.

How long does the 'edit post' feature stay active for. :)

Lazare wrote: »
    Gonna race this mofo and Give it Socks. I think I'd leave a bit of my soul out there if I didnt.

Given the madness over the last couple of weeks between injury layoff and creating a new human I feel quite good, and ready.

Let's do this.

Pretty long, unless someone quotes it as evidence.

3rd mid week run done on 3 consecutive days and no recurring shin pain, yay :)

Welcome to the madness Clonmel! I would probably do a mix of 4-5m and 8-12m runs. With some MP thrown in every 4th run. But I'm far from an expert! Best of luck :)

3rd mid week run done on 3 consecutive days and no recurring shin pain, yay :)

Welcome to the madness Clonmel! I would probably do a mix of 4-5m and 8-12m runs. With some MP thrown in every 4th run. But I'm far from an expert! Best of luck :)

Yay - though I think you passed it onto me! I did something odd to my knee yesterday. Did 5 miles earlier and and the shin is just twingey and I ran well anyway. Will see how my LSR goes Saturday before getting onto my physio again. I'd say she's sick of the sight of me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Let's do this.

F*ck it Lazare, im right there with ya. Had thoughts about taking it kind of handy, but skyblue pushed me half the way and now seeing this post has pushed me the rest of the way. Lets get this one.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    F*ck it Lazare, im right there with ya. Had thoughts about taking it kind of handy, but skyblue pushed me half the way and now seeing this post has pushed me the rest of the way. Lets get this one.

Great stuff Damo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Let's do this.

I love the fightin' talk Lazare and Damo. It's great to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Now I have to see if you're thanking or hanging me at the finish! Remember though that if there is any sign of injury recurring to back down. @ Lazare, the forecast is predicting blustery/ storm force winds from the south. That would mean help up the hills and wind in the face on second half...maybe even splits?

• Advertisement

Let's do this.

So come on, gimme your target time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've done the miles in the plan this week, just not the way they were meant to be done, what's that saying, playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order.

Step back week so only a 6 and a 4 miler before the half on Saturday. I did 2.6 on Monday, because we were running late and had to head off. So then I did the 4 on Tuesday. The intention today was to do the 6, ran on the beach and the sand was very soft in places, so was slow going, then I got a phone call that meant I had to get home asap, and of course we were as far from the van as we could possibly be. So we did 3.3 miles. It was good training I think, belting down the beach, without really thinking about the pace. Everything was fine when I got home btw, and after the runs this week, I'm looking forward to park runs from November onwards.

I am almost looking forward to the half as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Now I have to see if you're thanking or hanging me at the finish! Remember though that if there is any sign of injury recurring to back down. @ Lazare, the forecast is predicting blustery/ storm force winds from the south. That would mean help up the hills and wind in the face on second half...maybe even splits?
    Youll be right there with me at the finish no doubt about it. Good to hear about the wind, imagine wind against us going uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

At this moment* in time my plan is to go out with the 1.40 pacer and assess as I go and pull back if needs be.

*this is 100% certain to change back and forth several times over the next 24hrs

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So come on, gimme your target time?

I really don't know, that's part of the reason why I want to race it, so I can have an idea of a target for the next one.

Looks to be in and around sub 1:50 but I'm not sure.

What target have you settled on?

I really don't know, that's part of the reason why I want to race it, so I can have an idea of a target for the next one.

Looks to be in and around sub 1:50 but I'm not sure.

What target have you settled on?
    As Sheep says it's a constantly moving target. Sub 1:50 I feel is needed to be confident about a 4hr full.

Best of luck to all of you doing the HM! I'll be rooting for y'all and looking forward to reading race reports :P

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

So the boys seem to be racing the half tomorrow, what have the girls planned??

I'm thinking of going out with the 2hr pacers and then seeing what happens, probably end up falling back a little bit I hope to get under 2.10.

is anyone interested in meeting up pre or post race??

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

So the boys seem to be racing the half tomorrow, what have the girls planned??

I'm thinking of going out with the 2hr pacers and then seeing what happens, probably end up falling back a little bit I hope to get under 2.10.

is anyone interested in meeting up pre or post race??

I'm going to go out with the 2:10 pacers as the first half is hilly and if I'm feeling ok I'll push on in the second half. Saying that if I feel I'm struggling at any stage I'm just going to ease off and treat it as a LSR as not going to risk injury. I'll be hanging around the 2:10 pacers at the start if you want to say hello. I'll tell you what I'm wearing later when I dig it out from the laundry basket :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The Best of luck to anyone racing tomorrow, Pretty blustery out here today and the same forecast for tomorrow.

To anyone relatively new to racing make sure you are geared up to keep warm and dry before the off with a top to discard at the start and a plastic bag/poncho, you don't want to be standing around in just running gear getting wet or cold.

It's going to be a tough day for sure , be mentally prepared for that and embrace the experience.

Looking forward to the race reports all ready.

ENJOY!

Advertisement