Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

So the boys seem to be racing the half tomorrow, what have the girls planned??

I'm thinking of going out with the 2hr pacers and then seeing what happens, probably end up falling back a little bit I hope to get under 2.10.

is anyone interested in meeting up pre or post race??
    leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out with the 2:10 pacers as the first half is hilly and if I'm feeling ok I'll push on in the second half. Saying that if I feel I'm struggling at any stage I'm just going to ease off and treat it as a LSR as not going to risk injury. I'll be hanging around the 2:10 pacers at the start if you want to say hello. I'll tell you what I'm wearing later when I dig it out from the laundry basket :-)

I'm not doing it unfortunately. I'd have love to have met some of you. It sounds like there will be a few of us on the day who are going for in or around the same times, possibly joining the same pace groups. I'll be rooting for ye tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So the boys seem to be racing the half tomorrow, what have the girls planned??

I'm thinking of going out with the 2hr pacers and then seeing what happens, probably end up falling back a little bit I hope to get under 2.10.

is anyone interested in meeting up pre or post race??

Considering the car park closes at 8.30 and the race doesn't start until 9.30 there seems to be a window of opportunity there for a pre race meet up. Hard to arrange a place now but someone could post on here in the morning if they see somewhere suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Considering the car park closes at 8.30 and the race doesn't start until 9.30 there seems to be a window of opportunity there for a pre race meet up. Hard to arrange a place now but someone could post on here in the morning if they see somewhere suitable?

anyone familiar with the newbridge house grounds that can suggest a spot.?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I know newbridge house well ( great playground!). The house itself is a good landmark and is just across from the main car park. Saying that it's not in the direction of the start line and I'm not sure of the route they will use to get us to turvey avenue where the start is.

I know newbridge house well ( great playground!). The house itself is a good landmark and is just across from the main car park. Saying that it's not in the direction of the start line and I'm not sure of the route they will use to get us to turvey avenue where the start is.

I know the house alright. I did a parkrun there and it started outside it. Only worry would be that it would be the meeting place for thousands as the most identifiable landmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hmm, think I'm going to review my target. Went for two miles easy there and decided not to monitor the watch.

Felt like I was running at a tiny bit quicker than LSR pace. Actually ran it at MP average, even allowing for a km uphill into a gust.
    I know you can't learn much from such a short run but I
    think I'm gonna go with the 1:40 pacers and either finish strong or die.

Win or learn.

Lazare wrote: »
    Hmm, think I'm going to review my target. Went for two miles easy there and decided not to monitor the watch.

Felt like I was running at a tiny bit quicker than LSR pace. Actually ran it at MP average, even allowing for a km uphill into a gust.

Win or learn.

Well Holy God!!! Go on ya mad thing!! Haha. Love to attitude...........but I'll leave you to it! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Win or learn.

my thinking exactly at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Well Holy God!!! Go on ya mad thing!! Haha. Love to attitude...........but I'll leave you to it! ;-)

Haha, I'll probably be furitively reviewing things with an air of panic with Newbridge house still in sight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I'm going to go out with the 2:10 pacers as the first half is hilly and if I'm feeling ok I'll push on in the second half. Saying that if I feel I'm struggling at any stage I'm just going to ease off and treat it as a LSR as not going to risk injury. I'll be hanging around the 2:10 pacers at the start if you want to say hello. I'll tell you what I'm wearing later when I dig it out from the laundry basket :-)

Yeah let me know what you're wearing, I'll be in black shorts with a bit of neon pink & black vest. If it's raining I'll be wearing a cap too!

Do you know how far a walk it is to the start line from the carpark?

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm not doing it unfortunately. I'd have love to have met some of you. It sounds like there will be a few of us on the day who are going for in or around the same times, possibly joining the same pace groups. I'll be rooting for ye tomorrow ;)

Yeah there's a few of us that seem to have in or around the same aim, would be nice if we could do some of the marathon together or even meet at the start cause it can be a bit lonely waiting on your own!

Good idea, what time are you planning to be out there? I was think around 7.45 just to be on the safe side but maybe I'm being overly cautious!!

Good idea, what time are you planning to be out there? I was think around 7.45 just to be on the safe side but maybe I'm being overly cautious!!

I was thinking about 8.00/ 8.15 but I always cut things fine. Lol. Don't really want to be standing around for 90 mins. It's the one real downside of the location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I have a paranoia about being late for things, so end up too early and waiting around. Location of HM is irrelevant. I was still waiting around at Fingal and FD too. Would probably aim for being there well before 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Jesus and there's me planning to be there for about 9:00. Will probably try get dropped off for 8:30, I don't fancy waiting around that long for the race to start. Got there with about 15-20 mins left for the Fingal 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Win or learn.

That's brilliant! Reminds me of the time I was lining up at very back of the field at my local Parkrun, and my 4 year old girl who was watching from the side lines and shouts over with a very sincere look on her:

"Go Daddy... You really try your very best to win, Okay Daddy?"

Muffled laughter all around me... someone said "No pressure Daddy" :o:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Jesus and there's me planning to be there for about 9:00. Will probably try get dropped off for 8:30, I don't fancy waiting around that long for the race to start. Got there with about 15-20 mins left for the Fingal 10k.

I'd be having a literal panic attack if I was cutting it that fine!

If you're getting dropped off 9 is grand. For races in the Park I allow 10 mins to drive over, 10 mins to jog over to the start from where I park and a few minutes for bag drop. Never leave the house more than 30 mins before the start time. Tomorrow will have to be much different!!

Yeah there's a few of us that seem to have in or around the same aim, would be nice if we could do some of the marathon together or even meet at the start cause it can be a bit lonely waiting on your own!

Yes i'd love that. I will let you all get through tomorrow first, we can chat again about the big day but i'd love to have others to meet beforehand. I don't really know Dublin at all, quite nervous of the whole logistics side of it to be honest. I will have a million questions when it gets closer :o

ariana` wrote: »
    Yes i'd love that. I will let you all get through tomorrow first, we can chat again about the big day but i'd love to have others to meet beforehand. I don't really know Dublin at all, quite nervous of the whole logistics side of it to be honest. I will have a million questions when it gets closer :o

No way we'll leave you hang on your own on D day Ariana. And I like a good post race party as well - I have a partner in crime on here as well who is likeminded so we'll be in good company ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck tomorrow Novices! Hope it all goes well for those of you doing the Dublin Half.

Yeah let me know what you're wearing, I'll be in black shorts with a bit of neon pink & black vest. If it's raining I'll be wearing a cap too!

Do you know how far a walk it is to the start line from the carpark?

Ha. Will probably be wearing something similar. Think it's about a 15 min walk but don't depend on this intel as I'm not sure what route they will direct us and will depend where you end up parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

If you're getting dropped off 9 is grand. For races in the Park I allow 10 mins to drive over, 10 mins to jog over to the start from where I park and a few minutes for bag drop. Never leave the house more than 30 mins before the start time. Tomorrow will have to be much different!!

Yeh I'm getting dropped off, but they're waiting around aswell so I don't know what they'll do for parking. Everyone's shocked when I'm telling them it's not in the park, I'd say it'll be chaos tomorrow.

Been a tough week this week, from college results to a family member passing away. Funeral is today but I'll be taking it handy and an early night tonight. Here's hoping tomorrows time will brighten it up a bit!

Yeh I'm getting dropped off, but they're waiting around aswell so I don't know what they'll do for parking. Everyone's shocked when I'm telling them it's not in the park, I'd say it'll be chaos tomorrow.

Been a tough week this week, from college results to a family member passing away. Funeral is today but I'll be taking it handy and an early night tonight. Here's hoping tomorrows time will brighten it up a bit!

Sorry for your loss.

As for the brightening up.....Saturday morning will begin dry in most areas but with mist and fog affecting some southern coasts and hills. Towards late morning a band of rain in the Atlantic will begin to affect western coastal fringes. This band of rain will extend gradually eastwards during the afternoon but it will make slow progress, with rain only becoming persistent across the western half of the country by evening. Elsewhere, it will remain dry with sunny spells. Highest temperatures of 16 to 19 degrees in strong to gale force southerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hi all you have all been busy chatting I had a few pages to read back on ;)

I am feeling a wee bit nervous about tomorrow already, I have been doing my exercises from physio and have some doms from it so I am hoping it is gone for tomorrow :) I have to go back to him on Monday keep me sorted I just feel like my weak glutes are throwing up niggles all over the place or its all in my head :eek:

With that in mind, I won't be racing tomorrow I actually have not thought about time yet but do not think I will be under 2 hours 10 prob more like 2 hrs 30 mins

Hubby and I will be there early tomorrow so keep us posted on meetup point

I have no clue yet what I am wearing top wise yet might be my pink vest top from our local boot camp club! I will update later :)

Damo I am so sorry for your loss, take care

Sorry to hear this. All the best to you and your family.

No way we'll leave you hang on your own on D day Ariana. And I like a good post race party as well - I have a partner in crime on here as well who is likeminded so we'll be in good company ;-)

Yay :D

Sorry for your loss.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi all you have all been busy chatting I had a few pages to read back on ;)

I am feeling a wee bit nervous about tomorrow already, I have been doing my exercises from physio and have some doms from it so I am hoping it is gone for tomorrow :) I have to go back to him on Monday keep me sorted I just feel like my weak glutes are throwing up niggles all over the place or its all in my head :eek:

With that in mind, I won't be racing tomorrow I actually have not thought about time yet but do not think I will be under 2 hours 10 prob more like 2 hrs 30 mins

Hubby and I will be there early tomorrow so keep us posted on meetup point

I have no clue yet what I am wearing top wise yet might be my pink vest top from our local boot camp club! I will update later :)

Damo I am so sorry for your loss, take care

Snap! I could have written this. I feel like my body is starting to crack under pressure :eek: It's about damage limitation now, i will most likely be running with some discomfort on d-day, as long as it's not actual pain/agony that i can't run with. And of course i've made all sorts of resolutions with myself to focus on s&c in November/December :rolleyes: I'm being really good with doing the stretches and things Physio gave me as well. And i did squats twice yesterday and once so far today (brushing my teeth :D)

This just popped up in my newsfeed on facebook and it may or may not be handy for anyone for DCM for pacing so you can finish in your goal time

I just did mine it gives you a map and points where you will be passing so family or friends can be there at the expected time you will pass

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/login

Baby75 wrote: »
    This just popped up in my newsfeed on facebook and it may or may not be handy for anyone for DCM for pacing so you can finish in your goal time

I just did mine it gives you a map and points where you will be passing so family or friends can be there at the expected time you will pass

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/login
    I saw this and couldnt decide on my marathon time - think I'm going to aim for 4:45 but not 100%. Whats your target?

• Advertisement

I saw this and couldnt decide on my marathon time - think I'm going to aim for 4:45 but not 100%. Whats your target?

I used the https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ and put in my 10-mile time and used the estimated time it gave me of 4hrs 40 mins

to honest if I came in after that time I would be ok with that :)

Advertisement