Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Yeh I'm getting dropped off, but they're waiting around aswell so I don't know what they'll do for parking. Everyone's shocked when I'm telling them it's not in the park, I'd say it'll be chaos tomorrow.

Been a tough week this week, from college results to a family member passing away. Funeral is today but I'll be taking it handy and an early night tonight. Here's hoping tomorrows time will brighten it up a bit!

Sorry for your loss Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

whats peoples fueling strategy for tomorrow.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Snap! I could have written this. I feel like my body is starting to crack under pressure :eek: It's about damage limitation now, i will most likely be running with some discomfort on d-day, as long as it's not actual pain/agony that i can't run with. And of course i've made all sorts of resolutions with myself to focus on s&c in November/December :rolleyes: I'm being really good with doing the stretches and things Physio gave me as well. And i did squats twice yesterday and once so far today (brushing my teeth :D)

So glad I am not alone :) I feel the same that I will have discomfort on the day but I can keep going as long as it's not an injury :)

well done on getting them done, I keep forgetting to do the ones when brushing my teeth I have to stand on one foot to strengthen my ankles :D I will be stretching and foam rolling today!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sheep1978 wrote: »

Going to try get there for 830. So up at 730 for me, a nice porridge breakfast and some water , then out the door to drive up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looking for some thoughts - As part of my LSRs I've been hitting about 1hr:50m - 1hr:53m for half-marathons. So did 1hr:50m on a 15 miler 2 weeks back and 1hr:53m on an 18 miler last week, but wasn't pushing the pace. My planned marathon pace is 8min/mile, which would give a 1hr:45m half if I ran at that.

Would running with the 1hr:40m pacers seem reasonable? Can't help but feel I'd be under-doing it if I ran with the 1hr:50m pacers.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Looking for some thoughts - As part of my LSRs I've been hitting about 1hr:50m - 1hr:53m for half-marathons. So did 1hr:50m on a 15 miler 2 weeks back and 1hr:53m on an 18 miler last week, but wasn't pushing the pace. My planned marathon pace is 8min/mile, which would give a 1hr:45m half if I ran at that.

Would running with the 1hr:40m pacers seem reasonable? Can't help but feel I'd be under-doing it if I ran with the 1hr:50m pacers.

If your planning a 3.30 DCM I would have thought you'd need to be looking towards the 1.40 mark for tomorrow (at least) - though, as usual, some more experienced lads will advise better

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Going to try get there for 830. So up at 730 for me, a nice porridge breakfast and some water , then out the door to drive up.

I'll be planning on trying out what I'll also be doing on the morning of DCM.
    Mid -race tomorrow, I guess for those of us using gels etc,. we'd want to be getting them into us early enough, otherwise whats point.?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Baby75 wrote: »
    Snap! I could have written this. I feel like my body is starting to crack under pressure :eek: It's about damage limitation now, i will most likely be running with some discomfort on d-day, as long as it's not actual pain/agony that i can't run with. And of course i've made all sorts of resolutions with myself to focus on s&c in November/December :rolleyes: I'm being really good with doing the stretches and things Physio gave me as well. And i did squats twice yesterday and once so far today (brushing my teeth :D)

So glad I am not alone :) I feel the same that I will have discomfort on the day but I can keep going as long as it's not an injury :)

well done on getting them done, I keep forgetting to do the ones when brushing my teeth I have to stand on one foot to strengthen my ankles :D I will be stretching and foam rolling today!
    Im in the same boat too TBH but pretending otherwise so not talking to much about it. Weak left glute and hip which really needs a break from running to fully sort. It leads to (manaegeable) pain in my shin and knee after 10 miles and settles down with rest. Im doing regular physio appointments to keep it in check. This is why Im only doing 3 runs a week and leaving a day in between for recovery. Im expecting discomfort on the day but think it will be manageable.

Breakfast and 3 isogels every 30 mins. I'll have a fourth on me just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Amirani wrote: »

It depends on your purpose in running it. If you add miles before or after 1:50 would seem ok, 1:40 for a good hard run, 1:35 at most if racing it flat out and keeping your target of 3:30 realistic.

• Advertisement

Breakfast! Porridge and a bagel spread with peanut butter. Just to get in the habit I'll take a gel at 50mins and 1:10 but that's overkill really I think.

I think tomorrow will tell a lot. Mcmillan gives me something similar too. Anything under 5 hrs though and I will be thrilled. Might start at 4:40hr pace which would be comfortable for me which will leave me 20 mins buffer in case I blow up at mile 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes i'd love that. I will let you all get through tomorrow first, we can chat again about the big day but i'd love to have others to meet beforehand. I don't really know Dublin at all, quite nervous of the whole logistics side of it to be honest. I will have a million questions when it gets closer :o

Sounds like there are a few of us starting with approximately the same time in mind and would certainly be lovely to have some company running too.
    leesider77 wrote: »
    No way we'll leave you hang on your own on D day Ariana. And I like a good post race party as well - I have a partner in crime on here as well who is likeminded so we'll be in good company ;-)

Oh I cannot wait for the after party! :-)

I literally have not done a tap of work today thinking about this HM. Dont even want to think about what state I'll be in for DCM with taper madness!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It depends on your purpose in running it. If you add miles before or after 1:50 would seem ok, 1:40 for a good hard run, 1:35 at most if racing it flat out and keeping your target of 3:30 realistic.

Thanks, this sounds good to me. Think I'll run near 1:40 pacers for the first 10/11 miles anyway and push on from there at the end if feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sounds like there are a few of us starting with approximately the same time in mind and would certainly be lovely to have some company running too.
    Oh I cannot wait for the after party! :-)

That sounds great to me, as my hubby is faster than me and I will send him on :) so it will be nice to have some company and chatting makes the miles pass easier and quicker

leesider77 today is dragging :D I am getting my gear ready for tomorrow and must remember to drink lots of water today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

leesider77 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat too TBH but pretending otherwise so not talking to much about it. Weak left glute and hip which really needs a break from running to fully sort. It leads to (manaegeable) pain in my shin and knee after 10 miles and settles down with rest. Im doing regular physio appointments to keep it in check. This is why Im only doing 3 runs a week and leaving a day in between for recovery. Im expecting discomfort on the day but think it will be manageable.

All the girls seem to be similar and the lads all seem to be race horses if all this talk of 1:30 HM is anything to go by :eek: Bet we drink them under the table though at the after-party :p;):D

All the girls seem to be similar and the lads all seem to be race horses if all this talk of 1:30 HM is anything to go by :eek: Bet we drink them under the table though at the after-party :p;):D

Haha I'll still have a few miles left at 1:30 on the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Handy paceband with your personalised goal time which can be picked up at the expo and printable race map

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/

Ha Ha Ha - that gave me a good giggle ariana. I'll defintely qualify for wave 1 for that event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sounds like a challenge!

Jealous of you all doing the HM tomorrow. I've my 18 mile route planned and will be out doing that while you are all doing the race. Hoping for good weather for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Good luck tomorrow all , might bump into a few of you's I don't live too far so it will be up at 8:30 and run or cycle there .

21km that's a short run these days just smash it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lazare wrote: »
    Hmm, think I'm going to review my target. Went for two miles easy there and decided not to monitor the watch.

Felt like I was running at a tiny bit quicker than LSR pace. Actually ran it at MP average, even allowing for a km uphill into a gust.
    I know you can't learn much from such a short run but I
    think I'm gonna go with the 1:40 pacers and either finish strong or die.

Win or learn.

:o

Mistakenly thought 1:40 was 5min pace, just copped it's 4:45 which was my Fingal pace.

Should I still give it a bash or would I be stone crazy?

Maybe a more realistic target would be 1:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Lad I'm raging. I am in dublin as I am going to a work do tonight but I have forgotten my race number for the half. I'm so annoyed with myself. Anyone know if I can get another one in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow troops! Take advantage of the last race day prep that most of you will have before the big day itself.

Commit to what you are doing whether it be racing or running this as a session and remember to run with a smile on your face....loads would love to be in your position! Stay positive if things are not quite going to plan and enjoy the day.

Looking forward to the race reports.

Come on Wubbles Wonders!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

sillymoo wrote: »
    Lad I'm raging. I am in dublin as I am going to a work do tonight but I have forgotten my race number for the half. I'm so annoyed with myself. Anyone know if I can get another one in the morning?

Is there a running club near where you live? Get on their fb page and see if there's anyone from there still to head up, then get someone to meet them with your no.

Fairly sure you can get another number for a fee. €10 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Lazare wrote: »
    Is there a running club near where you live? Get on their fb page and see if there's anyone from there still to head up, then get someone to meet them with your no.

Fairly sure you can get another number for a fee. €10 I think.

Unfortunately there is nobody at home to get the number and give it to somebody else! Good thinking though. I don't mind paying for my own stupidity. Hopefully replacement number person is easy to find in the morning. Is there a race HQ does anybody know? I'm going to enjoy tonight on the water anyway and try to forget about it until the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I've felt tired all week but after reading the last few pages I've been carried away on the wave of optimism and decided to race this yoke tomorrow and let this training craic know whose boss.

sillymoo wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is nobody at home to get the number and give it to somebody else! Good thinking though. I don't mind paying for my own stupidity. Hopefully replacement number person is easy to find in the morning. Is there a race HQ does anybody know? I'm going to enjoy tonight on the water anyway and try to forget about it until the morning!

Yes there'll be an admin tent in the vicinity all right. Not sure what the policy is regarding missing/replacement numbers.

• Advertisement

Buzzing about this event, even though I won't be racing it.

Still undecided about what strategy to follow. Regardless, I'll be running near at least some of you. Light green singlet with blue trim, probably topped off with sandy coloured cap and shades :cool: Best of luck to all, just remember it's not the main thing :D

Advertisement