Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

At what stage do you move to singlet and short shorts think I'll have to buy some after this race, they probably make some kinda difference to swing of arms and legs

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm not one for winging it so decided to drive the course this evening to check out these hills for myself.
    The good news: its not a solid uphill as I imagined. The first half is mostly hillyalright but there are a few up and downs so there is a bit respite.
    IMO There are 4 trickier parts:
    1) a drag through Lusk village
    2) a drag on the skerries road around mile 4
    3) a steep hill before you turn off the skerries/onto palmerstown road around mile 5
    4) the worst part is between mile 6 and 7 as you approach the man'o war pub
    After that you have a nice downhill to recharge your legs.
    I think I'll struggle to keep with my pacers on some of those hills but know where I need to prepare myself for now. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm not one for winging it so decided to drive the course this evening to check out these hills for myself.
    The good news: its not a solid uphill as I imagined. The first half is mostly hillyalright but there are a few up and downs so there is a bit respite.
    IMO There are 4 trickier parts:
    1) a drag through Lusk village
    2) a drag on the skerries road around mile 4
    3) a steep hill before you turn off the skerries/onto palmerstown road around mile 5
    4) the worst part is between mile 6 and 7 as you approach the man'o war pub
    After that you have a nice downhill to recharge your legs.
    I think I'll struggle to keep with my pacers on some of those hills but know where I need to prepare myself for now. Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks for this, I'll keep an eye out for a girl in the same clothes as me tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

At what stage do you move to singlet and short shorts think I'll have to buy some after this race, they probably make some kinda difference to swing of arms and legs

I started wearing proper racing gear after a mate informed me immediately after a race that I would have run faster if I was wearing a singlet :)

I wouldn't bother this side of the marathon, give them a go after - and maybe look into getting a pair of racing flats too!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Sent you a PM browneyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, really appreciate it.

Re. Fueling, ill have some eggs, brown toast and turkey bacon for breakfast. Banana while im waiting to start, and a isogel around the 6 mile mark. Was contemplating having one at mile 5 and another mile 10 but will see in the morning. Legs feeling really good today so im buzzing to get going in the morning.

Singer wrote: »
    I started wearing proper racing gear after a mate informed me immediately after a race that I would have run faster if I was wearing a singlet :)

I wouldn't bother this side of the marathon, give them a go after - and maybe look into getting a pair of racing flats too!

When I turn up to parkrun anyone in proper racing gear I stand behind and let them go ahead , if I get proper racing gear I'll become that guy others look at thinking he's a proper runner! Think i need to earn my stripes a bit longer at least learn my min miles and other tech speak :)

Racing flats do sound interesting , I haven't tried many brands of runners and afraid to move from the ones i like so recently bought 2 more pairs so have 6 pairs of the same runners but there probably not great for speed.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Re. Fueling, ill have some eggs, brown toast and turkey bacon for breakfast. Banana while im waiting to start, and a isogel around the 6 mile mark. Was contemplating having one at mile 5 and another mile 10 but will see in the morning. Legs feeling really good today so im buzzing to get going in the morning.

My fueling is not great went the pub for dinner with wife and kids had a curry and 2 Guinness , cake and tea to wash it down. I'm not going to eat now till race is over just a pint of water before I leave the house. That seems like a lot of fuel , I'm considering bringing one gel but may be overkill for a half marathon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Good luck tomorrow for everyone running. For most this will be your biggest rehearsal for DCM so it's a good time to practice your race-day routine and strategy.
    • If you haven't done it already GET YOUR KIT READY NOW!
    • Have the same breakfast you plan for DCM
    • Don't drink litres of water before the race. Have a drink,but you should be nicely hydrated from your perfect day-to-day routine anyway :D
    • If you plan to follow a pacer on the day then at least start tomorrow in a pacing group. Really, if nothing else it will give you a feeling of running in the middle of a packed crowd.
    • Practice taking your gels etc. in a race environment. If you're planning a gel every 30 minutes on the day then do this tomorrow. I know from experience you can react differently when pushing it a bit in a race and it's better to find out now.
    • Remember the course profile. It's built for a negative split so don't throw everything into the first 6 miles. The pacer will run even splits, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to stick to them every step. Don't panic if they pull away from you up the larger inclines. Chances are you can reel them back in, slowly and evenly of course, in the last 6 miles.
    • Stick to your own plan. Don't get sucked into following someone that's going a bit faster, especially at the start when your pace will feel easy.
    • Make sure your watch is picking up a signal 10-15 minutes before the start. No point panicking at 9:29
    • Enjoy it!

My fueling is not great went the pub for dinner with wife and kids had a curry and 2 Guinness , cake and tea to wash it down. I'm not going to eat now till race is over just a pint of water before I leave the house. That seems like a lot of fuel , I'm considering bringing one gel but may be overkill for a half marathon ?

I had a pint and a chicken stir fry (which was rotten :pac:) and then the water for the rest of the day. I get very hungry on my runs so need to make sure I dont tomorrow haha. No I dont think one gel is overkill for a half at all, but one of the experts on here will be able to inform you better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I do not want to be running behind you after 5 miles! :D

I had a pint and a chicken stir fry (which was rotten :pac:) and then the water for the rest of the day. I get very hungry on my runs so need to make sure I dont tomorrow haha. No I dont think one gel is overkill for a half at all, but one of the experts on here will be able to inform you better.

It's probably a case of different strokes for different folks , if i eat everything you did pre race I wouldn't be able to move when the gun went. I think you have about 19/20 miles worth of glycogen in your muscles at the start so 13 miles should be ok. I just wonder about what effect food would have I vaguely remember reading that taking gels for shorter races is useless because the time it takes your body to process it and use it for energy the race is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I know this is totally last minute - but remember there was a detailed mile-by-mile note on the 10mile in this thread? Is there one for the HM too? Not looking for anyone to find it for me, just let me know if there is one and I'll do the searching myself. Thanks

To anyone reading this in the morning, dont forget to cut the toenails! As disgusting as it is thats the last thing you want hurting you mid race.

To anyone reading now, get to bed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well this wasn't the restful evening I planned....a trip into Jo'Burger in town for a dirty big feed, a drive out to Newbridge House and a lap of the course (which basically confirmed everything that has been said already) and finally down to Navan and back. Now my bloated tummy is instructing me to do a 1:50 tomorrow and my stiff back demanding a 1:55! :(

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I know this is totally last minute - but remember there was a detailed mile-by-mile note on the 10mile in this thread? Is there one for the HM too? Not looking for anyone to find it for me, just let me know if there is one and I'll do the searching myself. Thanks

There isn't one.

You could look at the video guide of the course on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHGv_GoATE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There isn't one.

You could look at the video guide of the course on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHGv_GoATE

Yep, I did that, which was helpful indeed. Thank you. Anyone see a gradient map of the route? I'm pretty sure I did somewhere before, but that could've been a different race

Edit: Found it here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14148549

I got a singlet before the IR5 as it was to be such a hot day. I've worn it each race since. Yes I feel as if I'm not a 'real' runner yet but it's just so comfortable and airy. I couldn't imagine racing in a tee shirt again.

Can't find any pins around the house after me specifically hiding some last week. Should be some there, right??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Can't find any pins around the house after me specifically hiding some last week. Should be some there, right??

Says on booklet with race number that there will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am having a similar issue I cant find my race number belt so will need pins myself

Was a meeting point mentioned I decided on gear going to wear my blue quest t-shirt and either shorts or running bottoms no shorts I'll be with my hubby and a couple of kids till sister arrives to mind them

Good luck to you all and hope I meet some of you tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

A little description of myself too.

Pre bag drop, have beige trackie bottoms on, blue NB shoes, and a black/grey camouflage type rain jacket.

Post bag drop, black singlet and black shorts.

Hope to bump into some of you.

Oh, and no. 1284

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just got parked on the grass behind the playground here. Long queues already. Lucky there's no rain forecast for this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Best of luck everyone. Enjoy the day!

My first half, and first event with medal. Undecided about pace but should be somewhere between 2h and 2h30m.. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Best of luck today everyone, it's days like this that training is all about. Let's do this shizz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck everyone.....trust in the training and enjoy the morning.

You will smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

We are running late coming from Carlow grrr

Where else could we park if we don't make 8.30am

Wubble wubble it's raining here fx I don't bring it with me

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

OMG TRAFFIC..... stuck on m1 dont think I'll make car park, anyone any ideas???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

OMG TRAFFIC..... stuck on m1 dont think I'll make car park, anyone any ideas???

Yup we're stuck coming up the sliproad off the m1. Its bumper to bumper

Advertisement