Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yep I'd be ok with that. Also I'll be going for a LSR on Saturday 7th in the PP, early morning. 18 miles @ 10 min miles approx if you or anyone else wants to join up.

Ah yeah, stick me down provisionally for this. Can't commit with the bambino but I'll definitely do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yep you can put me down provisionally for this too. I will be doing another 2 miles at the end if anybody wants to continue to 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yep I'd be ok with that. Also I'll be going for a LSR on Saturday 7th in the PP, early morning. 18 miles @ 10 min miles approx if you or anyone else wants to join up.

I won't be able to make that one unfortunately. I'll be in college all day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have to do 8 miles in this rain during the morning :eek:

Character building they say :rolleyes:

It could be like this on marathon day they say :eek:

I'd prefer to be tucked up in bed I say :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

The rain this morning reminded me of the corresponding weekend last year, when I took on the 20 mile LSR on the Boards plan. First mile or so was nice and dry (although in close to pitch darkness). Then....WOOOOF!!! pouring rain for the next 3 hours plus and 19 miles. Such a good feeling to finish it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

If I'm doing my LSR that morning I'll meet up. Won't know will closer the time with kids matches and parties etc. The joys of having a wife who works Sat's:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

The rain this morning reminded me of the corresponding weekend last year, when I took on the 20 mile LSR on the Boards plan. First mile or so was nice and dry (although in close to pitch darkness). Then....WOOOOF!!! pouring rain for the next 3 hours plus and 19 miles. Such a good feeling to finish it though.

That was how my 24km run went started in darkness then the rain started lol made it a very long hard run and all the puddle hoping drained my legs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Have to do 8 miles in this rain during the morning :eek:

Character building they say :rolleyes:

It could be like this on marathon day they say :eek:

I'd prefer to be tucked up in bed I say :o

I have similar plans for later today , refreshing is how I look on days like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

We've done fairly well so far (at least here in the east of the country) regarding running in the rain, but we'll be challenged from here on in.

For me theres 3 main thing to running in the rain.

(1) Visibility - make sure you are visible to cars/bikes etc
    (2) Chaffing in the nether regions :)
    (3) After run care - dry clothes in the car etc

Have a read of a few of these - mostly common sense, but may give some tips to others.

https://www.verywell.com/tips-for-running-in-the-rain-2911026

https://www.active.com/running/articles/tips-for-running-in-the-rain/slide-4?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm planning a rain run as well, I love running in the rain, less people about, its just when combined with gales that I object.

• Advertisement

Running in the rain in shorts and a t-shirt is awesome imo. The first few mins can be uncomfortable but once you warm up it's great.

Had a brilliant session earlier in it, I decided after about 100m that I was gonna change it from an 8m easy run into an 8m mp run. Especially since I missed the 9m one from a couple of weeks back.

Did four laps of my local 2m loop, primarily to stay a bit close to the house, but I also thought the monotony would be good brain training.

Loved every second, decided on the last loop that when i hit 12.8 I was gonna push it and kick for a kilometre to mimic a race finish.

Damn that kick felt good, managed 3:50km pace for a bit but levelled off to around 5k pace. Was wacked at the end, but jeez it was an awesome session.

Embrace the rain, dance in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I love Running in the rain and an essential piece of kit for me is a baseball cap.

It keeps the rain out of the eyes and off the face(usually) and you can't feel the rain falling on your head. Plus you feel less wet if the head/hair is not sopping wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Lazare wrote: »
    Running in the rain in shorts and a t-shirt is awesome imo. The first few mins can be uncomfortable but once you warm up it's great.

Had a brilliant session earlier in it, I decided after about 100m that I was gonna change it from an 8m easy run into an 8m mp run. Especially since I missed the 9m one from a couple of weeks back.

Did four laps of my local 2m loop, primarily to stay a bit close to the house, but I also thought the monotony would be good brain training.

Loved every second, decided on the last loop that when i hit 12.8 I was gonna push it and kick for a kilometre to mimic a race finish.

Damn that kick felt good, managed 3:50km pace for a bit but levelled off to around 5k pace. Was wacked at the end, but jeez it was an awesome session.

Embrace the rain, dance in it.

Thats impressive 8miles straight up at marathon pace and having a kick left at the end bodes well for you.

I skipped my morning run to work because it was raining , don't mind the rain so much if my feet were dry but running with soaked feet is horrible. Feel like a wuss now all yous going out.

Thats impressive 8miles straight up at marathon pace and having a kick left at the end bodes well for you.

I skipped my morning run to work because it was raining , don't mind the rain so much if my feet were dry but running with soaked feet is horrible. Feel like a wuss now all yous going out.

Ah in fairness, I wouldn't run to work in the rain.

Cheers for the first bit. :)

Well that was a surprise! Got lashed on for 10 minutes and after that nothing much other than a few very light drops. Took advantage of it and turned it into an easy 10 rather than 8. I was a bit warm with the rain jacket on but hey ho, it's another run ticked off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I got on the treadmill and managed to stay on it for 5km. I had planned a 10mile run but was dithering listening to the radio about how bad it was on the roads. Came home for a delivery that was supposed to arrive instead and it never arrived. Now I’m reading your posts wishing I had just gone for it! No other chance until my LSR on Saturday.

Younganne wrote: »
    I love Running in the rain and an essential piece of kit for me is a baseball cap.

It keeps the rain out of the eyes and off the face(usually) and you can't feel the rain falling on your head. Plus you feel less wet if the head/hair is not sopping wet.

Must try this out for the reasons you mention but also as I wear glasses I get visibility problems in the rain. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Younganne wrote: »

I was just going to post the same thing, I don't mind running in the rain once I have my cap on, if my face is dry I don't notice the rest of me being wet! I always wear shorts aswell in the rain, nothing worse than have wet leggings!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I'd also be up for this, hopefully your early morning is the same as my early morning :)
    I mightn't be able to stay with your pace but I don't mind dropping back and letting you guys get on with it!

I'd also be up for this, hopefully your early morning is the same as my early morning :)
    I mightn't be able to stay with your pace but I don't mind dropping back and letting you guys get on with it!

Haha, my early morning is different to most! I've done a couple of 6.30am LSRs. For this I was thinking 9/10 but can be flexible if it suits others. I like to keep the afternoon free. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

earlier the better

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    earlier the better

A man after my own heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Must try this out for the reasons you mention but also as I wear glasses I get visibility problems in the rain. :cool:

What will you do if it’s raining on the day? Do you ever wear contacts?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    What will you do if it’s raining on the day? Do you ever wear contacts?

I'll probably just run into the back of people!! I wore contacts 30 years ago but I can't imagine I'll go back to them. Depends on how heavily it rains. On a recent run I just took the glasses off and carried them.

I'll probably just run into the back of people!! I wore contacts 30 years ago but I can't imagine I'll go back to them. Depends on how heavily it rains. On a recent run I just took the glasses off and carried them.

That is what I do with my glasses hold them in my hand, but on Saturday when running up the hills at the start I stuck them in the side pocket of my husband's backpack :D it was easier than putting it into mine

Baby75 wrote: »
    That is what I do with my glasses hold them in my hand, but on Saturday when running up the hills at the start I stuck them in the side pocket of my husband's backpack :D it was easier than putting it into mine

You wore a backpack in the half? Think that would irritate the bejaysus out of me! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just back from a 7 miler, tried doing it at MP but couldnt get the pace perfect on them. They were all in and around except one very downhill section being the fastest. Rotten day out now feet up for the evening!

You wore a backpack in the half? Think that would irritate the bejaysus out of me! ;-)

yea I have a bladder in it with my water and tailwind, I was very glad I had it on Saturday it felt heavy before we started, was so tempted to leave it behind. I found the first half with all the hills uncomfortable as it made me very hot, the wind in my face was a welcome relief even if it made it a little harder :)

I might change how I carry my water, I waist belt is more appealing at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Not sure if you wear shorts, but I have a pair of Ronhill shorts with a really stretchy zip pocket at the back. When it rains so much I need wipers I can put the glasses in the pocket.
    Or, if it's sunny (it was for DCM last year) I wear these bifocal shades. It's nice to wear shades and be able to read 4 data fields.

• Advertisement

yea I have a bladder in it with my water and tailwind, I was very glad I had it on Saturday it felt heavy before we started, was so tempted to leave it behind. I found the first half with all the hills uncomfortable as it made me very hot, the wind in my face was a welcome relief even if it made it a little harder :)

I might change how I carry my water, I waist belt is more appealing at the minute

I'm not carrying anything on the day. I'm going to trust the water and gel stations. I might carry a gel or two in my shorts pockets but that's it I think. That and depending on the famous generosity of the Dublin spectating public which is legendary apparently :)

Advertisement