Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Sounds good. Dying to get out for Saturday's run now!! That sounds like a great run you did!

I'd suggest you try something like I did....1st third at LSR pace, next third at easy pace, final third at PMP or whatever you think you can do. Finishing a long run strongly is a great confidence booster and will help you to believe in the idea of going out steady on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Leesider and I will be coming in together that morning anyway and will be carrying phones so can try and find each other that way even if we just have a loose idea of where and when.

I'm dying to find out more logistics about the day such as whether it's best to leave stuff in the bag drop area or with somebody who'll be near the finish line. I'm assuming it's going to be crazy at thefiniah line and will want a jacket fast!!!!

I'd use the bag drop if I were you. It's much faster than trying to find someone after the race and the are very efficient. It won't actually be that crazy at the finish line and there tends to be a good flow of runners down through the whole finish area. The finish area is large enough and goes right he way around Merrion Square - it's nothing like the tiny little pen they have in Cork! The only people allowed in the finish area/bag drop etc are runners and volunteers/officials. You'll have to pass the bag drop on the way out anyway. Where it does get crazy is at the exit - there'll be crowds of people there waiting for runners to come out and it can be hard to meet people sometimes. You'll get your long sleeve top just after you finish so you could throw that on you for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Singer wrote: »
    I previously wrote a very detailed guide to how to really finish the marathon and get to McGrattans: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97345081

A pre-marathon meet-up would be difficult - everybody will be mad nervous and milling about surrounded by a zillion other runners, and most likely needing to attend to important things like finding somewhere to pee. A post-race pint (or 5) is far more likely to succeed. I brought a sign two years ago to attract random boards folks and could be convinced to bring another, as I'll just be spectating this year.

I tried to meet up with someone in 2015 before hand and must have ended up walking about a mile and half and getting all stressed out looking for them - and then never met them. So not worth it. It can get very crowded too - I remember it being packed with runners going down past the portaloos towards the start and we were reduced to a shuffle.
    If there's a few of ye novices running the same time why don't ye just meet up in the start pen by the pacer? But be prepared that ye may just not be able to meet each other.

I tried to meet up with someone in 2015 before hand and must have ended up walking about a mile and half and getting all stressed out looking for them - and then never met them. So not worth it. It can get very crowded too - I remember it being packed with runners going down past the portaloos towards the start and we were reduced to a shuffle.
    If there's a few of ye novices running the same time why don't ye just meet up in the start pen by the pacer? But be prepared that ye may just not be able to meet each other.

Yep, I'd agree. If you really want to meet someone arrange for it to be somewhere remote like Hueston or O Connell Street and then walk/ drive/ taxi up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Kellygirl I think we should run together and possibly browneyes too? We're all in the 4:20-4:30 bracket. Kellygirl I am following replies to your post with interest but as a complete novice I have no advice I'm afraid. I fluctuate between thinking I can run 4:20 & 4:30 myself but I will definitely go with a pacer as I can't seem to pace myself at all. I did an PMP run tonight and ran my 2nd fastest km ever I think (rolls eyes to heaven).

Can you count me in also, I am aiming for the same time :)

• Advertisement

I have some reading to catch up on :)

I'm just finished my first run of the week, a very late one but we waited on a friend it was nice having another person to chat with esp as we run at the same pace and hubby is faster :) legs feel good even though the weekends LSR was hard work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I was buzzing after it! Made the route tougher than DCM and gathered good info. If you take it easy for the first 6/7 miles which are gradually uphill to the highest point of the course in Castleknock you then have 3 miles of steep downhill where you can pick up time while conserving energy. That just leaves 16 miles and if you pace it right you'll still be fresh.

That sounds great. I like the recovery part!!
    I'd suggest you try something like I did....1st third at LSR pace, next third at easy pace, final third at PMP or whatever you think you can do. Finishing a long run strongly is a great confidence booster and will help you to believe in the idea of going out steady on the day.

Good idea. Just been looking at that link feelrace.com that somebody posted the other day and it breaks the marathon up into thirds like you are doing there.
    I'd use the bag drop if I were you. It's much faster than trying to find someone after the race and the are very efficient. It won't actually be that crazy at the finish line and there tends to be a good flow of runners down through the whole finish area. The finish area is large enough and goes right he way around Merrion Square - it's nothing like the tiny little pen they have in Cork! The only people allowed in the finish area/bag drop etc are runners and volunteers/officials. You'll have to pass the bag drop on the way out anyway. Where it does get crazy is at the exit - there'll be crowds of people there waiting for runners to come out and it can be hard to meet people sometimes. You'll get your long sleeve top just after you finish so you could throw that on you for starters.

Thanks for that. Been wondering about that and makes life easier knowing.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Can you count me in also, I am aiming for the same time :)

Of course. I think the idea of meeting near pacers is good too. Are people getting their names on tops? Will help to find each other too.

Good idea. Just been looking at that link feelrace.com that somebody posted the other day and it breaks the marathon up into thirds like you are doing there.

Have a look at my run on Strava if you have figured out who I am. I can honestly say it was the most important run of the 15 weeks for me.

Have a look at my run on Strava if you have figured out who I am. I can honestly say it was the most important run of the 15 weeks for me.

I just figured out Baby75 but I haven't got anybody else figured out. Can you pm me or else follow me on Strava actually and I might cop it. I'd love to see the run.

I just figured out Baby75 but I haven't got anybody else figured out. Can you pm me or else follow me on Strava actually and I might cop it. I'd love to see the run.

I'm Sean O H, already following you :)

• Advertisement

I'm Sean O H, already following you :)

Doh!! Just looked at it! What a run. That is incredible. Would be an amazing way to do DCM.

Doh!! Just looked at it! What a run. That is incredible. Would be an amazing way to do DCM.

As I said its now my plan. I wouldn't have the confidence to try it with the fast bit first, I'd blow up!! Save energy until half way is my plan... It might not work but hey ho I'll enjoy trying to negative split it.

As I said its now my plan. I wouldn't have the confidence to try it with the fast bit first, I'd blow up!! Save energy until half way is my plan... It might not work but hey ho I'll enjoy trying to negative split it.

Yes me too. That ten mile race where I did it with a negative split was an incredible feeling. I passed 30-40 people and loved every minute of it. Getting the pen and paper out tomorrow night to work out paces for Saturday after all this advice!

Yes me too. That ten mile race where I did it with a negative split was an incredible feeling. I passed 30-40 people and loved every minute of it. Getting the pen and paper out tomorrow night to work out paces for Saturday after all this advice!

Great stuff... Off to bed now. Only finished work at 22.30 but have to run in the morning. Hope Saturday goes well....I'll be watching!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Some great camaraderie in the last few post.....this completely sums up what this thread is about!

Some of the folks I trained with last year had a meeting point at one of the hotels in Merrion Square and we headed to the starting pens together even though we had a range of different times......was also a handy spot for one of the many loo breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

That is some run! Massive confidence boost for you for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

that's a great run. 23m too!!!!!! I just followed you there on strava to keep tabs:P

I'll probably struggle for Sat's meet up now (unless it 6-6.30am). Will have to do my LSR on Friday evening due to the kids busy social lives on Saturdays!!!!

That is some run! Massive confidence boost for you for DCM.

Yesterday just highlighted the fragility of the whole experience though. I went for a run in Marlay Park and as I was jogging out of the car park, chatting to herself, I didn't notice a newly laid kerb in the new car park.....bang! I got my hands out to slightly break the fall if not lessen the embarrassment! Result is thankfully just a slightly sprained wrist.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I'll probably struggle for Sat's meet up now (unless it 6-6.30am). Will have to do my LSR on Friday evening due to the kids busy social lives on Saturdays!!!!

I'll have to be early myself, but not that early! The youngest lad has a Gaa match at 12 just outside Trim. It will probably be an 8am start for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭positron

Yesterday just highlighted the fragility of the whole experience though. I went for a run in Marlay Park and as I was jogging out of the car park, chatting to herself, I didn't notice a newly laid kerb in the new car park.....bang! I got my hands out to slightly break the fall if not lessen the embarrassment! Result is thankfully just a slightly sprained wrist.

Ouch. Glad it's nothing serious!

On an unrelated note, I too went to Marlay Park for a jog yesterday after work - first time in Marlay Park and first time seeing those paths along the pond with those ancient ginormous trees. WOW! What a beautiful beautiful facility!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

hey Skyblue I'm afraid I need to bow out of Saturday. Few things have cropped up so wont be available to run till about 10am now.

Hope you guys have a good session.

D3PO wrote: »
    hey Skyblue I'm afraid I need to bow out of Saturday. Few things have cropped up so wont be available to run till about 10am now.

Hope you guys have a good session.

No worries, it's hard fitting everything in these days. By the sounds of things if there is a meet up it won't be this Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

21 miles run and I'm 'more or less' finished :) Felt relatively ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ok my pmp runs have for the most part been disastrous, they've all been 20 seconds per km (or more) faster than PMP. Partially because I haven't really pinned down pmp. It's looking more and more like MP will be 6:05min/km (4:20 marathon - conditions permitting) so I set out this morning determined to have a good pmp run. I was still slightly in the fast side, average pace 6:00 min/km, but it felt much closer than I've been up to this. I ran a 3m Tempo run last night in place of the recovery run on the plan (having skipped the weekend lsr I didn't feel I needed a rec run) so my legs were a wee bit weary too so I was delighted that the pmp still felt very comfortable. HR was a little higher than I'd have liked but I think I'm still jet lagged having missed Monday night's sleep and last night was a bit hit n miss up with kids etc. So all in all happy with this last 'big' week so far. Planning on my 2nd 20 miler at the weekend and thinking I might try Sean's format for 1/3 @ lsr pace, 1/3 @ easy pace and 1/3 @ MP. I'm a bit nervous, if it goes well it'll be a real confidence boost but if it doesn't there's no chance to repeat it.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm thinking out loud really!

Have a look at this link https://feelrace.com/fr.pl?th=MARCO and maybe see how it fits in with your plan.

whats the general thoughts on the accuracy of this in terms of overall target time.? Based on my Fingal 10km time (41.54) its telling me 3.18 for DCM (which is a no hoper) and based on my HM of 1.39 its telling me 3.29

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    whats the general thoughts on the accuracy of this in terms of overall target time.? Based on my Fingal 10km time (41.54) its telling me 3.18 for DCM (which is a no hoper) and based on my HM of 1.39 its telling me 3.29

It calculates very similar times to McMillan for your 10k and HM times. As with all calculators there's an assumption that you have the required training/endurance to hit the target.
    The gap between your 10k and HM times would point to endurance dropping off over a longer distance so I would think 3:18 would be a problem. You really need to weigh up how comfortable you felt in the HM and how training has gone when deciding if 3:29 is possible.

As an example, my 10k PB (46:04) and HM (1:43:36) both give a very similar target time of 3:38:xx. However, I'll be starting out with a more cautious goal for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Disastrous week this week, 5m yesterday and the supposed to be 10m today and 5m tomorrow but doubt they'll happen. The 20miler is up in the air for the weekend also with the knee and foot acting up. Will see how things progress but this whole marathon could be up in the air at the minute. Will pop back on in the next few days and update, good luck to everyone else with this week!! It's the last tough one so hang in there.

Damo I feel you :( similar issues here

feeling a little anxious woke this morning and right calf lower could be Achilles either, is a bit tender no pain to touch, but I could feel it when walking down the road today for school runs.

So looking like I should not run the 10 miles tonight and I am wondering about tomorrow as well then the long run on the weekend!! :eek:

What do I do reduce distance and run or leave it! or cross train instead

any other week I would not worry too much! I just feel this is a really important one and really do not want to ruin it all now

any advice greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Damo and Baby75 - hope you can both get sorted. Only advice i'd have is to get physio appointments as quick as possible. If was me Baby75 I'd try and run but only you can tell how bad it is. You need to be prepared to stop or give up. I ran with somebody who does ultras once and she said most runners have niggles of some sort that they can run with but it's telling the difference is the hard part. I always notice in pictures of races that people have knee braces and all sorts on and I always wonder how you tell if it's ok to run or not! So I'm not very helpful but maybe see how it goes?

Advertisement