Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 John McClane

Is it possible to change waves on the day, when i registered i was hoping to do sub 4hr, but now after decent training block i have a quicker target time and would like to go with 3.30 pacer but i'm in Wave 2
    is there any issue on the day , either A) asking to move into wave 1 or B) covering my number with a black bag/hoodie and head into wave 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Its funny reading the exchanges - we all have them, at every level.

Imagine what our significant others would think & say - "Hang on, you are running 26.2 miles and you are worrying if your pace should be a few seconds faster/slower per mile"

I think you both know what your goals are -

Ariana - go with 4.20 - make a poster, stick it on your fridge.

KellyGirl - I think you might want to find the standard deviation of the coefficient of x-y and go at that pace for 3.46km before multiplying it by 'y'. :D

No Seriously - pick a plan for the day and stick with it - you dont want to be stressing in the coming 3 weeks about it - because you will stress.
    Pick a time - stick with it - write it down and visualize it.

One of the most difficult things for a novice marathoner is to imagine the feeling of getting lifted by the crowd to the highest point at Castleknock, the crowds at the roundabout in Crumlin, the cheers up Roebuck, and the wall of noise in the home straight - it stays with you and gives you extra.

Stick with a plan - go out sensibly, especially the 1st 7 miles. Pace the hills and inclines a tad slower. Finish strong. Smile along the way.

Have to add a +1 to this. Training is going to plan for most of you all and you have to trust the training.

Stick to the plan you set and don't change it to faster on the day because taper has you feeling rested and the body is good, keep it to pick it up in the last few miles if you are able. If not able then enjoy as you don't want a horrible slog for the last few miles which WILL happen if you go faster than planned at the start even by 5 - 10 seconds.

I know it has been stressed here often but you really need to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy your first marathon as after the first one it usually becomes about time.

My first marathon in 2010 was 4.41 and last year i did 3.49 so lots of time for chasing time dreams....Enjoy it guys and although it will get tough mentally too you will be prepared and can do it!!

I'm pacing 4.40 on the day so would love to know who's targeting that on the day and be able to put names & face together...

There will be lots of doubts creeping in over the next few week and again this is normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Is it possible to change waves on the day, when i registered i was hoping to do sub 4hr, but now after decent training block i have a quicker target time and would like to go with 3.30 pacer but i'm in Wave 2
    is there any issue on the day , either A) asking to move into wave 1 or B) covering my number with a black bag/hoodie and head into wave 1 ?

Glad the training has been going well and the confidence is up!

To answer your question, officially the deadline for changing waves was July 31.

You might try asking at the Expo, but from what I've seen and heard you're unlikely to get a favourable response if trying to move up. On the day, there are stewards checking bibs and whatnot as runners are coming up to the Wave 1 pen - last year I'd a good view of this from the front of Wave 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Your getting fitter and your easy pace is getting faster. You'll gain a lot of fitness, especially during your first marathon training block. If your long run pace @6:30 min/km (10:28 min/mile) is comfortable, then I think (after the taper) that you should have no problem running 9:55min/mile (6:10min/km) on race day. A good strategy might be to go out with the 4:20 pacers and if your feeling good at 15 miles or so, push on a bit. If you find it too hard after a mile then just slow back down to race pace. I just can't help wondering if you have a bit more in you than you think you do - especially after that 18 miler.

:)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    First off I'd say keep doling out the advice. Anyone with experiences is helpful to us novices and the advice is greatly appreciated.

You touch on a great point there about improved fitness. Ironically it introduces the biggest questions. People who worried about finishing a 10k strongly are now running 10 miles at the same pace. We feel fitter, stronger, better and faster. We start to believe we can target optimistic times....BUT....the wall, dying at 16-20 miles, the fear pushes us back, makes us question ourselves and we get in knots trying to plan how to pace the day.

This is the the nuts & bolts of it really isn't it. None of us know what will happen at mile 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and this is the fear!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Exactly! I'll take every bit of advice I can get and appreciate it all.

Absolutely and me too, i couldn't be more grateful to all the contributors on this thread. Everyone has given so willingly of their time and experience. It may sound silly but i feel like i'll have let you all down if i don't go and do it :o
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Great advice as usual :) I plan on running by how I feel and going out with the 4.20 pacers but will let them go on if I think it is too fast

Kellygirl thanks for the good wishes :) I survived and enjoyed my run

I did not run the planned 10 miles but got out for 4.6 I stretched and foam rolled before we left :) no issues and all feels good so far my legs did feel tired and the pace was easy and felt hard but I think that was because of spinning beforehand, I did take a tumble tonight :D I was looking at my watch to check distance the path was uneven and over I went actually I think I will bring my head torch in future LOL all is good though no damage done
    Now fx I wake up with no niggle tomorrow.

Brilliant news.
    Its funny reading the exchanges - we all have them, at every level.

Imagine what our significant others would think & say - "Hang on, you are running 26.2 miles and you are worrying if your pace should be a few seconds faster/slower per mile"

I think you both know what your goals are -

Ariana - go with 4.20 - make a poster, stick it on your fridge.

KellyGirl - I think you might want to find the standard deviation of the coefficient of x-y and go at that pace for 3.46km before multiplying it by 'y'. :D

No Seriously - pick a plan for the day and stick with it - you dont want to be stressing in the coming 3 weeks about it - because you will stress.
    Pick a time - stick with it - write it down and visualize it.

One of the most difficult things for a novice marathoner is to imagine the feeling of getting lifted by the crowd to the highest point at Castleknock, the crowds at the roundabout in Crumlin, the cheers up Roebuck, and the wall of noise in the home straight - it stays with you and gives you extra.

Stick with a plan - go out sensibly, especially the 1st 7 miles. Pace the hills and inclines a tad slower. Finish strong. Smile along the way.

"Finish strong. Smile along the way."

I love this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 John McClane

Glad the training has been going well and the confidence is up!

To answer your question, officially the deadline for changing waves was July 31.

You might try asking at the Expo, but from what I've seen and heard you're unlikely to get a favourable response if trying to move up. On the day, there are stewards checking bibs and whatnot as runners are coming up to the Wave 1 pen - last year I'd a good view of this from the front of Wave 2 ;)

Cheers Wubble Wubble, trying to get up towards the front of Wave 2 might be the best approach so

if it's 9.10am start, any idea how long before you would want to be there to get up towards the front, 30mins ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Yeah - that fear never goes away though. :eek:

And remember, this may be your first marathon, so try and enjoy it. But for a lot of you, it won't be your last so if it all doesn't go to plan on the day - you'll get to have another go. Regardless, you'll have run a marathon!! How many of you thought you'd be saying that this time last year?

Ha, I'll be honest i never thought I'd run a marathon ever. Sure only 2.5 years ago i could barely run for a minute on the first week of the couch to 5k plan. I still remember that daunting long run of 20 minutes at the end of week 5!

This may sound weird but I'm already starting to miss the training. I have really enjoyed the actual process of getting to the start line (fingers crossed). The little bits like doing a 20 mile run back west and lying down afterwards and telling my granny (in a "I'm great" tone of satisfaction) i just ran 20 miles. Her response "is that all?". There will be no big headedness in the RD household.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Damn it ! I came in here for a nose around and now I am nearly in tears LOL. I decided to take this summer off after doing Dublin the last 2 years in a row. A friend told me that Castleknock was going to be unreal the first time around but I couldnt have imagined the buzz that engulfed us when we came out of the park and onto the 10K marker. Talk about feeling like a celeb! That stretch from there, back into the park and out of it again is enough to make me want to go back for sure next year !

Best of luck everyone. You'll smash it.

Ha, I'll be honest i never thought I'd run a marathon ever. Sure only 2.5 years ago i could barely run for a minute on the first week of the couch to 5k plan. I still remember that daunting long run of 20 minutes at the end of week 5!

This may sound weird but I'm already starting to miss the training. I have really enjoyed the actual process of getting to the start line (fingers crossed). The little bits like doing a 20 mile run back west and lying down afterwards and telling my granny (in a "I'm great" tone of satisfaction) i just ran 20 miles. Her response "is that all?". There will be no big headedness in the RD household.

I hear you. I know i will feel at a loss at the end of this process. It's been a real journey.

I had physio at lunchtime. I hadn't realised how tight my glutes were, feels so much freer now even just walking around.

My Physio suggested i try out the cryotherapy (ice) bath after my long run on Saturday and said if i find it good then he can open it for me (or leave a key accessible) on the 29th as well if i get down at a reasonable hour. Anyone ever use one and how did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Also be prepared in the next few weeks for every little niggle and ache to feel like a major injury, and every little sniffle to feel like to onset of the flu. Taper madness is real! (Although I prefer to call it maranoia)

:D I think its started already, well esp for me with this week not going as I had planned
    Great to hear there were no aches and pains on the run.....hopefully the body is in good shape today! It was a rotten evening to be out!
    As HBS said we are getting close to taper madness time; which during the run in to the marathon last year I found to be a tough time mentally as I found I had more time on my hands to think about the day itself.
    Thanks scotindublin I am not feeling too bad at all legs feel a little tired and some stretching and foam rolling is needed, my glutes are a little tight but I know how to sort that :D, only a tiny mark on my knee from my fall last night as well LOL Thank you for great post on staying positive I think we all will be keeping that in mind now over the next 3 weeks
    ariana` wrote: »
    I hear you. I know i will feel at a loss at the end of this process. It's been a real journey.

I had physio at lunchtime. I hadn't realised how tight my glutes were, feels so much freer now even just walking around.

It will be strange when it is all over, it is great having the support here and amazing advice from everyone I know I said it all ready but I have learnt so much already, That is good you got them sorted now they can be right pain in the ass literally if they start acting up ;)

AuldManKing I keep reminding my self when doubts creep in on how will I keep going when I reach the point were I am in new territory past the 20-mile mark, your description of the support from crowds really helps keep reminding us of that please :)

Damo 2k9 How are you today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

My Physio suggested i try out the cryotherapy (ice) bath after my long run on Saturday and said if i find it good then he can open it for me (or leave a key accessible) on the 29th as well if i get down at a reasonable hour. Anyone ever use one and how did you find it?

Oh Jesus I'd sooner murder a good few pints of Arthurs finest and limp around like a battered up John Wayne for a week after the marathon than jump into an ice bath. I'm a total wuss!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Me again :D

If Wubble Wubble or anyone else who like to advise, please

Thankfully my soleus muscle was just misbehaving and no niggle when walking stretching or poking today!

But I just wanted to know, if I should run yesterdays 10 miles today or is it to close to the weekends 20 miler which I am doing the 3/4 Marathon
    Which brings me to my second question the 3/4 is not 20 miles so do I run the extra beforehand to cover the distance ( I was thinking a very slow jog as a warm-up)

Thank you all ;)

Thankfully my soleus muscle was just misbehaving and no niggle when walking stretching or poking today!

But I just wanted to know, if I should run yesterdays 10 miles today or is it to close to the weekends 20 miler which I am doing the 3/4 Marathon
    Which brings me to my second question the 3/4 is not 20 miles so do I run the extra beforehand to cover the distance ( I was thinking a very slow jog as a warm-up)

Thank you all ;)

I'd say it's fine to go today. Just keep it very easy.

In relation to the 3/4 Marathon, apparently the distance works out at 19.65 miles. A short warmup will comfortably take you over the 20 :D Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Thank you all ;)

I personally wouldn't be chasing missed miles at this stage. Your most important run now is the 3/4 so just continue with the plan and make sure you're in great form for that.
    The 3/4 is 19.6 (ish) miles. If you feel the need to make it up to the round 20 then yes, do a nice easy 800m warmup.

And great news on the niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

And of course I completely contradict your mentor! Luckily I said "personally" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Anyone know where the course overview is (mile by mile or section by section). sure there's something somewhere in the 264 pages but can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thank you all ;)

No - I wouldn't do 10m today.

The main aim of your week is doing the 3/4 marathon - which is 19.6m - we'll let you 'round up' to 20 ;) - if you want to do a 1m warm up and a 1m cool down - do it as slow as you can - but just doing the 19.6 is good enough.

I'd definitely run on Saturday - it'll mimic what you might do on Marathon week - just a few miles as a leg loosener, with a few strides.
    Maybe a few miles today and a rest on Friday.

I'm also doing the 3/4 - you'll notice me as my running singlet will match my runners - both very bright green :) - if you see me come over and say hello.

I'd say it's fine to go today. Just keep it very easy.

In relation to the 3/4 Marathon, apparently the distance works out at 19.65 miles. A short warmup will comfortably take you over the 20 :D Best of luck!
    No - I wouldn't do 10m today.

:o sorry J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

There is a video of the course on YouTube with commentary which is worth a look.

2-1 against your esteemed leader....there is a mutiny afoot!
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the course overview is (mile by mile or section by section). sure there's something somewhere in the 264 pages but can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh Jesus I'd sooner murder a good few pints of Arthurs finest and limp around like a battered up John Wayne for a week after the marathon than jump into an ice bath. I'm a total wuss!! :o

It's honestly not that bad, although worse for men than women apparently :) My legs felt great afterwards.

muddypaws wrote: »
    It's honestly not that bad, although worse for men than women apparently :) My legs felt great afterwards.

Cool thanks good to know. I'm willing to give it a go anyhow, nothing ventured nothing gained eh!

• Advertisement

As a course guide - this post from 2015 is pure gold and takes a few perspectives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97442876&postcount=6775

As a course guide - this post from 2015 is pure gold and takes a few perspectives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97442876&postcount=6775

This single page view is good to print out and keep. Yaboya is a very experienced runner - think he was on this page a few times too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97315716&postcount=5991

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That guy Shane Finn from Dingle who did 24 marathons in 24 days during the Summer had one every day after his run I’m sure. I think it would be torture but it is supposed to be brilliant.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »

I saw a video of one on Facebook in The Runner’s Support Group. It was really good.

Seems like this will be my last marathon. I’d said it would be unless I got London
    and got the email earlier to say I didn’t get in. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Thanks AMK

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That guy Shane Finn from Dingle who did 24 marathons in 24 days during the Summer had one every day after his run I’m sure. I think it would be torture but it is supposed to be brilliant.

I saw a video of one on Facebook in The Runner’s Support Group. It was really good.

Seems like this will be my last marathon. I’d said it would be unless I got London
    and got the email earlier to say I didn’t get in. Oh well

Hard luck but never say never. You will have done 2 back-to-back in 2017 so possibly a Spring 2018 marathon would be too soon again anyhow. Maybe an Autumn one next year or 2019... I know i couldn't face into the training again for a while after this block, it's a big commitment and there have been sacrifices made.

This single page view is good to print out and keep. Yaboya is a very experienced runner - think he was on this page a few times too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97315716&postcount=5991

3:40 pacer last year IIRC....

Route-Profile-2015.jpg

You'll note the constant reference to the 1st 7 miles from me. :eek:

Route-Profile-2015.jpg

You'll note the constant reference to the 1st 7 miles from me. :eek:

Who the f*** ever said Dublin was a reasonably flat marathon :eek::rolleyes::confused: I'm sh*tting myself now :o

Who the f*** ever said Dublin was a reasonably flat marathon :eek::rolleyes::confused: I'm sh*tting myself now :o

I run in the Phoenix Park every day - you hardly notice the incline going up - but its easy to get carried away as you are fresh.

Plus its in feet - on a narrow scale so it looks worse.
    200 feet of a climb over 5-6miles, not so bad - while you are fresh - after the race you'll be recalling that stretch as flat - its only if you run it too hard that you'll notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I think you are correct J; not sure if he was the pacer who made a pit stop in the park but this caused a good few laughs in the pacing group!

3:40 pacer last year IIRC....

Advertisement