Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

More of a drag than hilly Ariana this is why we keep on saying to take it easy for the first part of the marathon as it can come back to haunt you.

You won't even feel the drag up to Castleknock and the crowds are epic at the Myos turn.....definitly one of the best parts of the course.

ariana` wrote: »
    Who the f*** ever said Dublin was a reasonably flat marathon :eek::rolleyes::confused: I'm sh*tting myself now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

ariana` wrote: »
    Who the f*** ever said Dublin was a reasonably flat marathon :eek::rolleyes::confused: I'm sh*tting myself now :o

What AMK said. Plus.... after the Phoenix park you don't go back down to zero elevation, so the rest of the climbs are less than 100ft - less than half the climb in the PP - and much more spread out than that profile strip would suggest. Be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Baby75 wrote: »
    Damo 2k9 How are you today :)
    Foot still sore, I'd go out and run on it right now if I thought I wouldn't be given out to by you lot! :D all joking aside, I'm absolutely dying to run but I know it's be stupid to do it. After Skyblue mentioned a stress fracture I'm nearly certain that's what it is. One of the lads girlfriends is a nurse and she said it sounds exactly like that, especially since I'm a runner. Hopefully I'm feeling alright by sat/Sunday and can do the LSR. I can live with the sore knee afterwards and have emailed the physio to try get an appointment ASAP.

Like others this time has given me loads of time to think about goals etc. Im sticking with either the 3:50 or 4:00 pacers and push on after 20 if I can. My next marathon (if I get to do one) will be the one where I really go for it time wise. I'm gonna TRY enjoy this one and see what it holds, if anything it's a learning curve but I'll have raised money for a charity that means a lot to me. Oh and I'll have got a fancy new running top!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

In relation to the 3/4 Marathon, apparently the distance works out at 19.65 miles. A short warmup will comfortably take you over the 20 :D Best of luck!
    :)
    I personally wouldn't be chasing missed miles at this stage. Your most important run now is the 3/4 so just continue with the plan and make sure you're in great form for that.
    The 3/4 is 19.6 (ish) miles. If you feel the need to make it up to the round 20 then yes, do a nice easy 800m warmup.

And great news on the niggle.
    its still good after todays run FX it won't bother me again!
    The main aim of your week is doing the 3/4 marathon - which is 19.6m - we'll let you 'round up' to 20 ;) - if you want to do a 1m warm up and a 1m cool down - do it as slow as you can - but just doing the 19.6 is good enough.

I'd definitely run on Saturday - it'll mimic what you might do on Marathon week - just a few miles as a leg loosener, with a few strides.
    Maybe a few miles today and a rest on Friday.

I'm also doing the 3/4 - you'll notice me as my running singlet will match my runners - both very bright green :) - if you see me come over and say hello.
    I will keep an eye out for you :) I must check strava again so I know your name or what is the agreed greeting for boards members LOL

Thank you all for your epic advice as usual :) and great that you all agree on the 3/4 ;) I am looking forward to it now.

I'm back from my run and all is still good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Route-Profile-2015.jpg

You'll note the constant reference to the 1st 7 miles from me. :eek:

Hehe - the worst 2 hills barely even register on there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Friend of mine wrote this pretty epic review of the course a couple of years back.

The course has changed slightly but still some great info.

I keep meaning to say to him he should do cycling tours of the course for a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I had a decent 16k run out there this evening. Took a slightly different route, narrow nettle-lined country roads and plenty of hills - loads of stop and start and worrying about cars not seeing me (stupidly wore black and no high-viz, sun was beaming down when I left the house, didn't think this thru too well). I was also focusing on running more fluently - meaning, without lifting the knee too high in front, and focusing to fall forward and push away etc (have been watching too many videos on youtube and this is one thing that stood out for me from watching all good runners, that all the action is under or behind their hips). This was actually rather nice - less jerky and yes my legs are sore in different areas now but I didn't run out of breath - at all.

And with all that, I almost nearly matched my Frank Duffy time without trying. Okay, it's a slow time, but that's my best time. :D Yeah I don't know, training must be working... Or its the full moon (did anyone else notice how majestic the moon is tonight)? Perhaps there's a bit of warewolf in me.. well, that will explain the hair anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Haha, have a different picture of you now in my head.

Moon is awesome tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

200 feet of a climb over 5-6miles, not so bad - while you are fresh - after the race you'll be recalling that stretch as flat - its only if you run it too hard that you'll notice it.

I can vouch for this haha looking back definitely overcooked first half without it feeling particularly tough.

My advice is to be straining at the leash right up until castleknock at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The course change of the last couple of years has taken out the worst of the Chesterfield climb, too: from the gate up to the first roundabout. From bitter experience I can vouch for Testosterscone's post. No extraneous effort to be expended before Myo's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think my head is going to explode! I've given it a lot of thought and have now narrowed it down to 134 different pacing strategies! These range from going flat out from the start at one end of the spectrum to walking as far as the gates of Castleknock College before I start running at the other! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think my head is going to explode! I've given it a lot of thought and have now narrowed it down to 134 different pacing strategies! These range from going flat out from the start at one end of the spectrum to walking as far as the gates of Castleknock College before I start running at the other! Haha

I'm currently on an average of two changes of plan per hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

And we still have the 3 weeks of taper to go crazy in!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Haha! I can start doing more maths tonight and add more strategies for you if you like! Still have to plan my pacing strategy for my run tomorrow - Slow down is the first goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Someone on here mentioned to have a Plan A,B and C with regards to a finish time in the day. I was thinking about this on my run yesterday

Plan A: 3.49
    Plan B: 3.59
    Plan C: Finish the marathon if it means crawling over the finish line!

From what I have seen, it looks pretty crowded around the pacers, so I will hang back from the 3.50 pacers for the first half (keep them in sight),catch up with them in the second half and if there is anything left in the legs at about 23 miles,push on a bit.

Ha it all sounds so straightforward!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Never mind the pacing strategies, I've multiple strategies just for getting in in the day which may or may not depend on whether there's a rail strike or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

thunderdog wrote: »
    Someone on here mentioned to have a Plan A,B and C with regards to a finish time in the day. I was thinking about this on my run yesterday

From what I have seen, it looks pretty crowded around the pacers, so I will hang back from the 3.50 pacers for the first half (keep them in sight),catch up with them in the second half and if there is anything left in the legs at about 23 miles,push on a bit.

I've approached other targets with a similar strategy:

Goal 1: If everything goes perfectly - 4hrs. Has me delighted.
    Goal 2: If everything goes as expected - 4hr 15ish. Has me very happy.
    Goal 3: Minimum reasonable expectations - 4hr 30. Has me content.

Outside of that, unless something has gone horribly wrong, I will be a little disappointed with my performance. Still thrilled to finish it, but y'know yerself...

Push on a bit after 23 miles. A statement very few here probably ever expected to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I'm currently on an average of two changes of plan per hour!!
    Candamir wrote: »
    And we still have the 3 weeks of taper to go crazy in!! :):)

Not just me then eh :D
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Never mind the pacing strategies, I've multiple strategies just for getting in in the day which may or may not depend on whether there's a rail strike or not!

Gosh i haven't even started on the logistics of getting in yet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Lazare wrote: »
    Friend of mine wrote this pretty epic review of the course a couple of years back.

The course has changed slightly but still some great info.

I keep meaning to say to him he should do cycling tours of the course for a fee.

You move in good circles so!!
    He's an amazing runner.

A while back, we used to have a pretty active Boards thread on a number of topics - one of those was a thread where we could ask questions of certain runners. Your buddy obliged and gave a fantastic account of himself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057380201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Does one 'warm'up' beforehand? A few static stretches and very gentle jogging?.

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Does one 'warm'up' beforehand? A few static stretches and very gentle jogging?.

Do you mean for races or training runs?

I do dynamic stretches before, static stretches after.

For training runs my first km is usually a bit of a warm up as i start quite slow and ease into the pace.

For races i will jog a few km and maybe throw in some strides. Depends on the length of the race really - the shorter the race the longer the warm up. For the marathon i can't imagine doing much/any warm up really besides some dynamic stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Only a 134.......

I know what you mean. I'm starting to obsess over the route. Basically hold back until mile 7. Push on from there until about mile 11 and the next set of hills and drags where I plan to hold back. Then mile 15 assess what shape I'm in and push on till mile 18. Survive the short ascents till mile 21-22. Then empty the tank.

thunderdog wrote: »

The goals above are the same as mine. Sub 4 was the dream goal at the beginning. Based on the half time of 1.43 this predicts a 3.50 time is possible. So plan is to start out at 4hr pmp and up the pace to 3.50 pmp on the downhill sections.

Or it could all go to s**te. But that's my plan. Go for it but enjoy the crowds, high 5 a few people along the way, finish it and be the smuggest man in the world.

The goals above are the same as mine. Sub 4 was the dream goal at the beginning. Based on the half time of 1.43 this predicts a 3.50 time is possible. So plan is to start out at 4hr pmp and up the pace to 3.50 pmp on the downhill sections.

Or it could all go to s**te. But that's my plan. Go for it but enjoy the crowds, high 5 a few people along the way, finish it and be the smuggest man in the world.

That's pretty much my plan too. What wave are you starting in?

That's pretty much my plan too. What wave are you starting in?

Wave 3. Which isn't ideal as I don't think there is a 3.50 Pacer. But that's probably a good thing as it means I can stick just ahead of the 4hr Pacer for the first few miles.

From reading reports and route reviews the key appears to be holding back until the turn in castleknock.

Wave 3. Which isn't ideal as I don't think there is a 3.50 Pacer. But that's probably a good thing as it means I can stick just ahead of the 4hr Pacer for the first few miles.

From reading reports and route reviews the key appears to be holding back until the turn in castleknock.

Yes that's for sure. I'm going in Wave 2 but just going to let the 3:50 pacers go and do a 4hr PMP until Castleknock College. (Its only a few hundred metres after Myos but some people expect the drag to end at Myos and when they turn the corner and see the road still rising it can come as a shock) After that, in a perfect world, the race would unfold as you described in an earlier post. I like the idea that if everything goes to plan I would have the visual stimulus of the 3:50 pacers in view on some of the longer straight stretches near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Do people know how easy/difficult it is to change waves? I'm in wave 4, but would probably be better off lining up in wave 3 (I think!)...

Do people know how easy/difficult it is to change waves? I'm in wave 4, but would probably be better off lining up in wave 3 (I think!)...
    It's hard to move up a wave i believe. The official closing date for changing waves was July 31st. Someone was advised earlier this week to ask kindly at the expo but there are no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I checked in, the last time I was on was halfer marathon. Verry happy with the time (1:48)

The half marathon was poorly run, but I still had a blast esp on the last mile where myself and 2 others pushed eachother to the finish.

Since then Ive done 14.5 mile run and I plan on running at least 18 miles this weekend. From there Ill be winding down to about 12 mile runs for the next 2 weeks, with a few short runs in between.

Hoping to do the DCM in under 4 hours. 3 hours 45 would be fantastic and hopefully I can achieve that but wont be disheartned with an extra half hour on top of that either.

This thread has been a great source of information, inspiration and motivation for me. Thanks everyone and good luck in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Been a while since I checked in, the last time I was on was halfer marathon. Verry happy with the time (1:48)

The half marathon was poorly run, but I still had a blast esp on the last mile where myself and 2 others pushed eachother to the finish.

Since then Ive done 14.5 mile run and I plan on running at least 18 miles this weekend. From there Ill be winding down to about 12 mile runs for the next 2 weeks, with a few short runs in between.

Hoping to do the DCM in under 4 hours. 3 hours 45 would be fantastic and hopefully I can achieve that but wont be disheartned with an extra half hour on top of that either.

This thread has been a great source of information, inspiration and motivation for me. Thanks everyone and good luck in the coming weeks.

Well done on the half. It's good to hear someone staying quite relaxed about pacing, there's enough of us stressing about it :o

Advertisement