Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Just finished my 20m LSR. I am therefore officially not only allowed, but expected to go completely crazy :) Brace yer selves for 3 weeks of taper madness here!

Soooo looking forward to a massive steak and a few drinks tonight! I was starting to hallucinate about the steak towards the end of the run :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Candamir wrote: »
    Just finished my 20m LSR. I am therefore officially not only allowed, but expected to go completely crazy :) Brace yer selves for 3 weeks of taper madness here!

Soooo looking forward to a massive steak and a few drinks tonight! I was starting to hallucinate about the steak towards the end of the run :):)

Super and well done on finishing out the last long LSR! Enjoy the steak :D

I'm looking forward to being in the same position in 24 hrs time, bring it on :)

Am i right in thinking the 4:30 pacers will start at the front of Wave 4? So if one was to start at the back of wave 3 they wouldn't be much ahead of the pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on the half. It's good to hear someone staying quite relaxed about pacing, there's enough of us stressing about it :o

Well I just wanna finish it. Ive read if you take your 10 mile time and x 3, you get a good indictor of your estimated mararthon time. So that would be 80 minutes x 3 for me, so Id be happy with that.

While not up to 20 miles in my LSRs, im not too worried.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well I just wanna finish it. Ive read if you take your 10 mile time and x 3, you get a good indictor of your estimated mararthon time. So that would be 80 minutes x 3 for me, so Id be happy with that.

You have a great attitude. I wish i could be more relaxed about it. The funny thing is i'm not stressed about my time but i am stressed about pacing it in such a way that i can finish feeling relatively ok if that makes sense. A friend of mine did it previously, through 30k in 3:05 and finished in 5:00. The last 10k were a living nightmare. And that is my worst fear i guess. Not so much the finishing time of 5hrs which is still a great accomplishment but the style of the finish, the agony of those last kms.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »

Also (HM x 2) + 20 which gives you 3:56 so you are probably bang on going for sub 4. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

You have a great attitude. I wish i could be more relaxed about it. The funny thing is i'm not stressed about my time but i am stressed about pacing it in such a way that i can finish feeling relatively ok if that makes sense. A friend of mine did it previously, through 30k in 3:05 and finished in 5:00. The last 10k were a living nightmare. And that is my worst fear i guess. Not so much the finishing time of 5hrs which is still a great accomplishment but the style of the finish, the agony of those last kms.

Im more relaxed I guess because I did it before. Previously I did around 20-22k runs tops in training, which is just over half. I was nervous I didnt do enough come race day.

But come the race, the athmosphere of the runners, the support from the crowd, and the adreniline running through my veins got me through. I just kept going that day. That was 5 years ago and I havent done a tap since until june this year, but Im looking forward to it and my big Dominos pizza and Hagen Daas afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done. I can’t wait to have mine over tomorrow too. I dream of ice cream for some reason and always promise myself one but never want it then when finished my run!
    Am i right in thinking the 4:30 pacers will start at the front of Wave 4? So if one was to start at the back of wave 3 they wouldn't be much ahead of the pacers?

I’ve been assuming so but would love to know for sure. I wonder how chaotic it’s going to be with them and what time you’ll need to be in the area to get close to them.

That’s exactly how I feel. I do want to finish in under 4:30 but strong and healthy running towards the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

20 miler done, that's all I have to say on the matter

muddypaws wrote: »

Yay - well done. All the hard work is behind you now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff on the 20 milers.....a couple of days to go and the hard work is done for everyone.

For those on the injured list fingers crossed you are on the mend.

Come on Wubbles Wonders only a few weeks to M Day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Do you mean for races or training runs?

I do dynamic stretches before, static stretches after.

Fo
    training runs my first km is usually a bit of a warm up as i start quite slow and ease into the pace.

For races i will jog a few km and maybe throw in some strides. Depends on the length of the race really - the shorter the race the longer the warm up. For the marathon i can't imagine doing much/any warm up really besides some dynamic stretches.
    I had meant on the morning of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

muddypaws wrote: »

Yay just figured out how to put 2 quotes in a post!!! :D

Well done on your last lsrs, I’m very jealous!!!

Anyone ever used a Findmymarathon.com pace band? For $6.99 you can buy a pace band that will give you paces in miles/km based on the profile on the course to bring you in on your target time.

You can also select other options such as 'Conservative Start' or 'Negative Split' etc.... It all sounds very good in theory

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I had meant on the morning of the marathon.
    I think walking to the bag drop and start will be enough of a warm up for me. Maybe some dynamic stretches depending on available space.

Anyone ever used a Findmymarathon.com pace band? For $6.99 you can buy a pace band that will give you paces in miles/km based on the profile on the course to bring you in on your target time.

You can also select other options such as 'Conservative Start' or 'Negative Split' etc.... It all sounds very good in theory

That sounds great. I’m just making a pace band for myself for tomorrow to see if it helps me stay slow. Have 32.2km to do. Planning on doing the first 22km slow and the last 10km a bit faster. Hopefully all goes to plan!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That sounds great. I’m just making a pace band for myself for tomorrow to see if it helps me stay slow. Have 32.2km to do. Planning on doing the first 22km slow and the last 10km a bit faster. Hopefully all goes to plan!

What paces are you thinking for tomorrow? I was toying with doing something similar but haven't come up with an exact plan. I was thinking of maybe doing 3 paces - 10/10/12 6:40/6:25/6:10 But not sure if that's too aggressive, it's roughly my LSR/Easy/MP paces.

What paces are you thinking for tomorrow? I was toying with doing something similar but haven't come up with an exact plan. I was thinking of maybe doing 3 paces - 10/10/12 6:40/6:25/6:10 But not sure if that's too aggressive, it's roughly my LSR/Easy/MP paces.

I’m going to go 6:25 for the first 22km and maybe 6:15 or 6:10 for the last 10.2km then. Have my paceband read to sellotape round my wrist in the morning for the first 22km. I meet a friend then so i’ll just go by feel after that.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m going to go 6:25 for the first 22km and maybe 6:15 or 6:10 for the last 10.2km then. Have my paceband read to sellotape round my wrist in the morning for the first 22km. I meet a friend then so i’ll just go by feel after that.

Wow that'll be pretty close to MP so? Maybe I'll do similar. I was worried about doing too much damage. It'll be a real confidence boost. Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

So who's meeting Skyblue tomorrow morn?

I'm about a 90% at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    So who's meeting Skyblue tomorrow morn?

I'm about a 90% at this stage.

That kinda fell apart. Times didn't suit anyone else....

Wow that'll be pretty close to MP so? Maybe I'll do similar. I was worried about doing too much damage. It'll be a real confidence boost. Best of luck x

It’s still going slower than I have been going on all my runs though. My MP maybe should be faster than I plan to do but I only want to do what I’m comfortable doing on the day and not push it. I’d rather be fairly sure I can do it and not push it. Certainly don’t take my advice as the lads here know way more than me. I’m literally just doing what i’m well able for if you get me.

:cool:

That was a super run!! Great pace. What time are you aiming for on the day?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That kinda fell apart. Times didn't suit anyone else....

Are you still heading out yourself?

Are you still heading out yourself?

Oh God yeah. Say a time, 8.00/ 8.30 and I'll be there. Browneyes will be in the vicinity too at about that time.

Oh God yeah. Say a time, 8.00/ 8.30 and I'll be there. Browneyes will be in the vicinity too at about that time.

I'll aim for getting to hole in the wall for 8, but it will depend on how my night goes.

What direction will you be heading and what will you be wearing in case I'm running late? I can join you.

I'll aim for getting to hole in the wall for 8, but it will depend on how my night goes.

What direction will you be heading and what will you be wearing in case I'm running late? I can join you.

Look at Sept 2nd on Strava. I'll be doing a slightly modified version of that with the changes bringing it up to a six mile lap. I'll be doing it 3 times. Anti clockwise.

Black shorts, FD10 shirt....silver hair in the places I have hair! Haha

Look at Sept 2nd on Strava. I'll be doing a slightly modified version of that with the changes bringing it up to a six mile lap. I'll be doing it 3 times. Anti clockwise.

Black shorts, FD10 shirt....silver hair in the places I have hair! Haha

Cool, well I'll hunt you down if I don't get there by 8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Don't forget the Simon Run is in the park tomorrow--route here http://www.dubsimon.ie/Portals/0/Map%20Home%20Run.jpg . I'm hoping to be in it before 730 for 22 and will try and avoid ending up in the middle of it:o

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »
    Don't forget the Simon Run is in the park tomorrow--route here http://www.dubsimon.ie/Portals/0/Map%20Home%20Run.jpg . I'm hoping to be in it before 730 for 22 and will try and avoid ending up in the middle of it:o

Thanks for that!! I stay on grass anyway and only cross that route once or twice. Hopefully it'll be ok. Bloody runners eh!!!

Advertisement