Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Lazare wrote: »
    Cool, well I'll hunt you down if I don't get there by 8 :)

I hope to be there before 8.30 and will be wearing my FD top too so give me a shout if u see me!
    FYI some of the gates are closing at 8.30 for Simon run, if you’re traveling by car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great! Hopefully we meet up.

I've just arrived at the Hole in the wall car park.

Gotta get it right first time. Don't want to be shouting 'Hey Brown eyes' at people. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

muddypaws wrote: »
    20 miler done, that's all I have to say on the matter

" " "

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

skyblue46 wrote: »
    :cool:

That was a super run!! Great pace. What time are you aiming for on the day?

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for my A goal - sub 4, but try for a negative split. So a conservative pace starting out and if things feel good I can push on. Yesterday's run was a great confidence boost as it showed me that I was able to push on in a long run. Inspired by your amazing run of im tbh - thanks for that! So feeling good for the big day. But not getting ahead of myself either!

Good luck to everyone doing the last of the looong runs this weekend.

Edit: Really enjoyed the steak last night! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 17 of 20 all but done:
    Mon: 5.23m@8.30. Good to get the weekend gargle out of the system. No more alcohol before d day
    Tues: 6.5m@8.03. Some PMP miles incl a couple of hill runs. Feeling good
    Wed: 4.33m@ 8.01. Unplanned fast pace I think mainly due to the weather and me wanting to get it over with. Couple of niggles so decided to do nothing else before the Long run sat
    Thurs and Fri- rest
    Sat - 17.8m @ 8.19. Started off nice and handy with first half dozen miles at about 8.45 to 8.50. Didn't feel great from the off though. Warm early on and I'd say if I had a HRM it would have been well up. Not sure if it was down to fuel,
    Hydration or sleep ( not slept great this week for various reasons) or maybe just one of them things. Anyways pushed on for the last 8-9 miles at about an avg 8.05 pace. Tired at the end and glad to have it finished
    Sun: (can give you the lotto numbers tonight!!)- I'll just do a 2/3 mile recovery jog

Commence operation taper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

20 miles done - not quite according to plan. Slept badly and in the end got up at 4.30am but couldn't leave too early anyway as a friend was joining me for the last 10km. Started nice and slow and more or less stuck to that pace for 10km. Wore a pace band and could see how far I was behind at each km. Picked it up for the next 10km and gained all my timeback and at 20km I was only 3seconds behind and then I got the same pain as last week but just slowed down to a crawl and kept going. Meant that instead of speeding up for the last 12km I was very slow but I did it. I think it might be from sports beans. I got into trouble last week too and that was my first time using them. Like a stitch but much sharper. After the pain cleared a bit I took another two and it came back worse than ever. So back to just gels from now on. Confidence knocked a bit though as the last 10km was such a struggle. Not sure how I'll do another 10km on the day.

Anyway, it's done and Taper time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Kellygirl wrote: »
    20 miles done - not quite according to plan. Slept badly and in the end got up at 4.30am but couldn't leave too early anyway as a friend was joining me for the last 10km. Started nice and slow and more or less stuck to that pace for 10km. Wore a pace band and could see how far I was behind at each km. Picked it up for the next 10km and gained all my timeback and at 20km I was only 3seconds behind and then I got the same pain as last week but just slowed down to a crawl and kept going. Meant that instead of speeding up for the last 12km I was very slow but I did it. I think it might be from sports beans. I got into trouble last week too and that was my first time using them. Like a stitch but much sharper. After the pain cleared a bit I took another two and it came back worse than ever. So back to just gels from now on. Confidence knocked a bit though as the last 10km was such a struggle. Not sure how I'll do another 10km on the day.

Anyway, it's done and Taper time!!!!

At least you know now that sports beans don't work for you, so that's a positive. On the day - well you'll be tapered and rested and you'll have a big block of training behind you. You just went out and ran 20 miles on very little sleep, and stuck it out even when it got tough - if you have the same mentality on race day, you'll finish. And this was probably one of your highest mileage training weeks of the plan too. I try and think of these long runs on tired legs as being more like the last 20 miles of the marathon, not the first 20. You did well.
    FWIW - I have my last 20 miler tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it that much - just feeling pretty tired at the moment. But like yourself, I'm heading into the taper now and usually that freshens me up enough in time for race day.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Last 20 miler done! Thanks to Lazare and Browneyes for the great company on the run. It was a most enjoyable 3 hours plus and fantastic to meet you both. Let the taper begin :-)

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Week 17 of 20 all but done:
    Mon: 5.23m@8.30. Good to get the weekend gargle out of the system. No more alcohol before d day
    Tues: 6.5m@8.03. Some PMP miles incl a couple of hill runs. Feeling good
    Wed: 4.33m@ 8.01. Unplanned fast pace I think mainly due to the weather and me wanting to get it over with. Couple of niggles so decided to do nothing else before the Long run sat
    Thurs and Fri- rest
    Sat - 17.8m @ 8.19. Started off nice and handy with first half dozen miles at about 8.45 to 8.50. Didn't feel great from the off though. Warm early on and I'd say if I had a HRM it would have been well up. Not sure if it was down to fuel,
    Hydration or sleep ( not slept great this week for various reasons) or maybe just one of them things. Anyways pushed on for the last 8-9 miles at about an avg 8.05 pace. Tired at the end and glad to have it finished
    Sun: (can give you the lotto numbers tonight!!)- I'll just do a 2/3 mile recovery jog

Commence operation taper

Well done. I found it very hot this morning too actually. I sweated a lot more than usual. Yay for Operation Taper!
    At least you know now that sports beans don't work for you, so that's a positive. On the day - well you'll be tapered and rested and you'll have a big block of training behind you. You just went out and ran 20 miles on very little sleep, and stuck it out even when it got tough - if you have the same mentality on race day, you'll finish. And this was probably one of your highest mileage training weeks of the plan too. I try and think of these long runs on tired legs as being more like the last 20 miles of the marathon, not the first 20. You did well.
    FWIW - I have my last 20 miler tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it that much - just feeling pretty tired at the moment. But like yourself, I'm heading into the taper now and usually that freshens me up enough in time for race day.
    Good luck.

Thanks HBS. I hope it was the sports beans anyway caused the issue. Won’t use them again anyway. I’m so glad I didn’t slow to a walk today. A few times were real struggles but after a while I came out of it again and was running alright again for a bit. Need to remember that on the day. I like your point about the last 20 miles! My legs were more tired than I realized and I noticed that quickly. Best of luck tomorrow with your run.
    Last 20 miler done! Thanks to Lazare and Browneyes for the great company on the run. It was a most enjoyable 3 hours plus and fantastic to meet you both. Let the taper begin :-)

Well done to the three of you! Cool ye met up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Was glad of the Simon Run being on in the end as it got me out of bed early! Started in the dark and 22 done by 1100,a few FD race shirts knocking about today,hope everyone met their targets :)

Likewise buddy, it was really great running with you both.

Thanks for pushing me on that extra couple of miles, don't know whether I want to thank you right now though for sending me up the Khyber at mile 20, you sadist. :)

I'll thank you long term tho. Great way to finish it in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well that was a disaster :(

Woke early when one of the kids came in to my bed at 6 but it was too dark to run & also I wanted him to go back to sleep beside me before I snook out so waited in bed til 7. Got up then, 2 slices of white bread toast, a glass of water, toilet and off I went. First 10k I took it handy 6:30-6:40 pace feeling grand these flew by. 2nd 10k picked up the pace a little still feeling good. 3rd 10km another pace pick up and then it all went wrong... around 26km I started to get a strange numbing sensation in my right knee..... around 27 km (I'm not sure exactly as I haven't synced the watch yet) it seized completely :( End of story really :( I walked/hobbled another km, attempted to run again about 3 times but it just wasn't happening.... I eventually hitched a lift back to my car, drove straight to my physio, had a quick chat with him and hopped into the cryotherapy bath. He suggested I use it again tomorrow to get down any inflammation and then he will examine it on Monday or Tuesday. I drove home to realise I was locked out. Drove back to town and am now currently hiding in a corner of a hotel in a shabby tracksuit with sweat still dried on my face praying nobody I know sees me and counting my pennies to see if I've enough for a cuppa and I've a 1hr wait for my OH to get back with house keys :( I want to cry. Feel like the marathon dream may be over. I can even walk at the moment, i can't bend the offending knee at all. Sorry for the "poor me" post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

ariana` wrote: »

Woke early when one of the kids came in to my bed at 6 but it was too dark to run & also I wanted him to go back to sleep beside me before I snook out so waited in bed til 7. Got up then, 2 slices of white bread toast, a glass of water, toilet and off I went. First 10k I took it handy 6:30-6:40 pace feeling grand these flew by. 2nd 10k picked up the pace a little still feeling good. 3rd 10km another pace pick up and then it all went wrong... around 26km I started to get a strange numbing sensation in my right knee..... around 27 km (I'm not sure exactly as I haven't synced the watch yet) it seized completely :( End of story really :( I walked/hobbled another km, attempted to run again about 3 times but it just wasn't happening.... I eventually hitched a lift back to my car, drove straight to my physio, had a quick chat with him and hopped into the cryotherapy bath. He suggested I use it again tomorrow to get down any inflammation and then he will examine it on Monday or Tuesday. I drove home to realise I was locked out. Drove back to town and am now currently hiding in a corner of a hotel in a shabby tracksuit with sweat still dried on my face praying nobody I know sees me and counting my pennies to see if I've enough for a cuppa and I've a 1hr wait for my OH to get back with house keys :( I want to cry. Feel like the marathon dream may be over. I can even walk at the moment, i can't bend the offending knee at all. Sorry for the "poor me" post.

Ouch ariana, sounds a lot like my run last week. You done the right thing going straight to the physio, hopefully it's not too bad next week!! At least it's taper time, and any reduction in mileage wouldn't be too big of a hit! Fingers crossed for you, don't count yourself out yet!!

Oh no Ariana. You poor thing. Brilliant you could go straight to physio. He sounds great by the way. Hopefully it's something that can be sorted easily but I can just imagine how you feel. My last run before cork I had to get on a bus and get back to my car. Luckily had €5 on me. I got home and burst into tears. I was going to a personal trainer at the time and he sent me for acupuncture. The problem needed a physio after cork but the acupuncturist was able to fix me up enough to let me run.

Hope you got that cup of tea!

Ah Ariana, that's awful.

Fingers crossed for you, and as Damo says, the reduction in mileage is timed perfectly for you. Don't even feel disheartened if the physio says to stay off it for a week or two, you've done all the hard graft.

Ah Ariana, that's awful.

Fingers crossed for you, and as Damo says, the reduction in mileage is timed perfectly for you. Don't even feel disheartened if the physio says to stay off it for a week or two, you've done all the hard graft.

Yeh exactly, if he says to stay off it for a while then so be it, this is probably the best time to get injured (not seriously of course) if its going to happen!

Lazare, Skyblue and Browneyes fair play for meeting up, sorry I couldnt make it but hopefully put names to faces on the day!!

Ah Ariana, that's awful.

Yes - very good point. If you need to do something for your head I'm sure you can swim or cycle or even walk in a pool but this won't affect your training as you have it all done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I think walking to the bag drop and start will be enough of a warm up for me. Maybe some dynamic stretches depending on available space.
    Thanks,is the bag drop far from the start line? And is it indoors?☺

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Ariana sorry to hear that, hope you are ok. Sending good vibes that the physio is able to sort it out.

20 miles completed today in the Phoenix park. I'm absolutely whacked now. I developed what felt like a cramp but more severe in my right calf at Mile 15. Stretched and massaged it so was able to run (slowly!) the last 5 mile but man what an effort!!!! Having difficulty weightbearing on the right leg now. Here's hoping a bath and Epsom salts will have a miraculous effect. I'll also book an apt with the physio for next week. Praying that it's nothing serious.

Need some advice- I've done a 16m, 18m and now a 20 mile run. I was considering doing another 20 mile on thur (out of the country at the weekend so won't be able to do anything) as I'm feeling very nervous about been on my feet for so long. Do ye think I should do a 2nd 20 miler or should I just taper now? This is assuming my right calf comes right again

Well done to everyone on their great running, the end is in sight :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the words of encouragement :) I finally made it home and have had a hot shower and feel a bit bether. I'm not so much worried about the next 3 weeks now but I'm really really worried about completing the marathon, I believe the physio will sort me out and get me to the start line but no guarantee it won't happen again at 16, 17, 18... miles. Obviously I have weaknesses that the increase in mileage is highlighted.

statina wrote: »
    Ariana sorry to hear that, hope you are ok. Sending good vibes that the physio is able to sort it out.

20 miles completed today in the Phoenix park. I'm absolutely whacked now. I developed what felt like a cramp but more severe in my right calf at Mile 15. Stretched and massaged it so was able to run (slowly!) the last 5 mile but man what an effort!!!! Having difficulty weightbearing on the right leg now. Here's hoping a bath and Epsom salts will have a miraculous effect. I'll also book an apt with the physio for next week. Praying that it's nothing serious.

Need some advice- I've done a 16m, 18m and now a 20 mile run. I was considering doing another 20 mile on thur (out of the country at the weekend so won't be able to do anything) as I'm feeling very nervous about been on my feet for so long. Do ye think I should do a 2nd 20 miler or should I just taper now? This is assuming my right calf comes right again

Well done to everyone on their great running, the end is in sight :-)

Well done today. Maybe you need to taper now and give your body a rest. There are people that do a 2 week taper but I would think Thursday is very soon to be doing a other 20 miles.
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement :) I finally made it home and have had a hot shower and feel a bit bether. I'm not so much worried about the next 3 weeks now but I'm really really worried about completing the marathon, I believe the physio will sort me out and get me to the start line but no guarantee it won't happen again at 16, 17, 18... miles. Obviously I have weaknesses that the increase in mileage is highlighted.

Hopefully once the physio figures out what it is you’ll get more reassurance that it won’t happen again. It’s the not knowing now is hard. I think every body’s niggles are showing up now to drive us mad for 3 weeks.

My stomach is still very sore so I don’t know what i’ve done to myself or where to start looking for help? Doctor / Physio / Acupunture I mean. Two weeks in a row now and not sure if it’s a coincidence that I got the pain after eating sports beans. Maybe can’t digest them that far into a long run but not sure why my stomach would be sore after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Really sorry to read this I hope the physio can sort it and all works out for you.

Hey Ariana, sorry to read about your troubles today. Hopefully it's something that seems worse than it actually is. Miles 16, 17 and 18 will look after themselves. Try not to be worrying and please God the physio will have good news next week.

Likewise buddy, it was really great running with you both.

Thanks for pushing me on that extra couple of miles, don't know whether I want to thank you right now though for sending me up the Khyber at mile 20, you sadist. :)

I'll thank you long term tho. Great way to finish it in fairness.

Oh I hope you do! That was a nice steady run. Browneyes is a terrific wee runner, her target will be no bother to her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Sorry to hear that Ariana. Even if it's 3 weeks rest now , get yourself to that start line and ease your way round.you deserve it now after all the hard work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Not been on much to catch up have been very busy with real life stuff and still am, hopefully everyone other than ariana is doing well , that sounds wrong but you know what I mean! :) , hope you make start line ariana.

Quick Weekly update - haven't been following a plan that much or arbitrary mileage targets just done what I felt was enough.

Monday Rest
    Tuesday 10 mile easy
    Wednesday 10 mile easy
    Thursday 6 miles with 12 x 400m reps 82-85 range 30 second recovery between
    Friday Rest
    Saturday - up late so just did what I could had to be home and off out for 10, so started 7.15 ran for 2 hours 15 mins then straight into parkrun , had good fun racing a few people at Parkrun came 8th in 19:31 looking forward to smashing my 5k pb in a few weeks.
    Total about 30k
    Sunday - Rest or recovery or maybe even a cycle .

Had a few niggles this week (who doesn't!) .
    As we end the heavy training and enter the taper I feel like I have achieved my goals , the main aim of my marathon training block was to become my fittest possible self in 16 weeks , my resting heart rate has come down from 42 to 38 , I've lost weight probably about a stone , I feel physically and mentally better , I've pb'd at every distance . If any of my injuries flare up and I don't make marathon day so be it , it was always a secondary goal to the training and health benefits , sure I can always run another one or do a 26.2 mile training run on my own for the craic :).

Must be a day for injuries, 20 miles turned into 13. Knee went in Castleknock so instead of going out the chapelizod gate I just continued on in the park to go home, it's not as bad when I run faster on it. Got unbearable at about mile 11 and had to walk the rest of the way home.

Waiting to hear back from one physio about an appointment but got a recommendation from one of the lads in the run hub for a very good one so probably just go to him.

Suppose I'll know the real answer next week, well done to everyone else on the runs today, roll on the taper for ye!

Today's run made this week a great one.

Wasn't a fantastic week up to that, you were all right, it's so difficult to find the time. I started back in work on Tuesday, up to that it was fine, as soon as I dropped the toddler off to playschool I had time to run, but since going back to work it's tough.

I need to get up pretty early to fit it in, and that always depends on whether I get some unbroken sleep. It's not the bambino funny enough, my wife is breastfeeding so she has her in the bed with her, with me sleeping in the spare room. It's the toddler poking me in the face at 3am, 4am, and 5am that's the issue :).

Tuesday called for 5 miles easy but I could only find the time for 3. Had notions of going out for 2 miles when I got home from work but it would have put too much pressure on my alread bedraggled wife. Nope, crack of dawn is the only time.

Wednesday was good, plan called for 1m w/u, 5m pace and 1m c/d. I got up at about 5 past 6 and hit the road just before 6:20. Even then though I needed to cut it a tiny bit short and do 1k w/u and 1k c/d instead. Was really happy with this though all things considered.

Thursday called for 3m rec but my snooze button got all my attention instead. Brought the gear to work with the hope I could get out at lunchtime but no dice.

This morning was something special though. Plan was 18 miles. I met SkyBlue at the Phoeno at 8am. With a nod to AMK's funny post from a couple of months ago I told my wife I was heading out to meet a strange man in the Phoenix park. 'Not the first time I'd say' was her reply.

We set off on a 6m loop with the intention of doing 3x. A bit in I mentioned that the only part of the marathon course I was unfamiliar with was the Phoenix Park/Chapelizod section, so Sean offered to give me the tour. We did one loop so we could rehydrate back at the stashed water. Headed off down towards the NCR gate so we could start our adventure from Manor St.

We fortuitously bumped into Browneyes then after a km or so and she joined us. I see from Strava that we grazed each other a while before, and could have so easily missed each other this time. Our luck was in.

The miles just ticked by. Great conversation and laughs, such sound peeps. I really really enjoyed it.

We ran the route then together all the way back into the park when SkySadistBlue guides us, at mile 20 no less to the bottom of The Kybher.

There were people finishing the Simon run struggling hard going up it and we breezed by them. That took my attention away from the absolute pain I was in.

A fantastic way to finish though, to climb that at Wall time was great for the legs and the mind.

So ended up doing a 20 miler for the second week in a row, and it felt like 10 because of the company.

Browneyes and SkyBlue, thank you both very much for such an enjoyable run.

Ain't the runner's high pretty great?

• Advertisement

Damo so sorry to hear that. Pls god we both can get sorted and back on the rd in time.

Lazare sounds like a brilliant run. Well done to all 3 of you. I'm jealous of ye getting to meet up! And fair play on your weekday runs too. Ita not an easy time for you but the bulk of the work is done now and the countdown is on ;)

Advertisement