Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just realised that it looks a little insensitive posting that right after Damo's post, but we did have a chat on Strava earlier.

He's one of the people I was really hoping would have been there this morn.

I really hope your knee issues are minor and sorted out soon, because you've got it all. The talent and most importantly, the attitude. Positivity, go-getterness and enthusiasm are absolutely vital personality traits for such tough pursuits as endurance running.

Really hoping you get over this blip, because you'll smash this marathon if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Not at all Lazare!! I think I speak for everyone when I say that I don't think there's an ounce of insensitivity or anything of the sort in this thread, if any randomer came in and had a look in here they'd think we all know each other from birth!! The camaraderie throughout here is unbelievable, one of the two reasons that I haven't given up complete hope for this marathon despite the injuries.

Honestly, I don't think anyone could have thought that about your post! I'm crossing that line in 22 days and so is ariana along with the rest of Wubbles Wonders :D (with or without one of my knees ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Not at all Lazare!! I think I speak for everyone when I say that I don't think there's an ounce of insensitivity or anything of the sort in this thread, if any randomer came in and had a look in here they'd think we all know each other from birth!! The camaraderie throughout here is unbelievable, one of the two reasons that I haven't given up complete hope for this marathon despite the injuries.

Honestly, I don't think anyone could have thought that about your post! I'm crossing that line in 22 days and so is ariana along with the rest of Wubbles Wonders :D (with or without one of my knees ;) )

Brought a tear to my eye (ok I am feeling rather close to tears all day today but the other kind if that makes sense)! Fingers Xed you are right. I spoke to my brother in law this evening, he did it last yr and he said "the physio will get you to the start and the crowd will get you to the finish". We can and will do this :)

Kellygirl how are your tummy pains now?

Also sillymoo, we haven't heard from you in a while, I hope you're ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Must be a day for injuries, 20 miles turned into 13. Knee went in Castleknock so instead of going out the chapelizod gate I just continued on in the park to go home, it's not as bad when I run faster on it. Got unbearable at about mile 11 and had to walk the rest of the way home.

Waiting to hear back from one physio about an appointment but got a recommendation from one of the lads in the run hub for a very good one so probably just go to him.

Suppose I'll know the real answer next week, well done to everyone else on the runs today, roll on the taper for ye!

Oh no Damo! What a day for the majority of us! Hope you get sorted.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Kellygirl how are your tummy pains now?

Also sillymoo, we haven't heard from you in a while, I hope you're ok?

Got quite bad and GP reckons it’s my gall bladder. My husband is just home with a prescription and hopefully will help. I thought my DCM dreams were gone up in smoke but hopefully not even though GP won’t say either way. He’ll sort an ultrasound for me.

How’s the knee? Are you icing it tonight?

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh no Damo! What a day for the majority of us! Hope you get sorted.

Got quite bad and GP reckons it’s my gall bladder. My husband is just home with a prescription and hopefully will help. I thought my DCM dreams were gone up in smoke but hopefully not even though GP won’t say either way. He’ll sort an ultrasound for me.

How’s the knee? Are you icing it tonight?

Oh god hope the prescription helps. Jeepers the stress of it all.

Yes I'm icing and I was talking to Physio and doing another ice bath tomorrow morning (he's leaving a key out for me especially - so sound). Still very stiff, walking with a very pronounced limp. We shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Hi everyone. It's been a while :-) Don't know where to start. After my DNF last week I was not in a good place. I was working 60 hr weeks, had 2 sick kids, trying to organize a kids party and then had some impromptu work travel. So fitting in runs was a balancing act and when it didn't work out and I had no other windows I was completely demoralized. For the first time my head was gone. I thought I was the only one and didn't check in for a while but I'm really really sorry to hear that there are others that are going through a tough time - I wish you all a speedy recovery. And to those that are flying it, its fantastic to hear. Only three weeks to go.......

leesider77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. It's been a while :-) Don't know where to start. After my DNF last week I was not in a good place. I was working 60 hr weeks, had 2 sick kids, trying to organize a kids party and then had some impromptu work travel. So fitting in runs was a balancing act and when it didn't work out and I had no other windows I was completely demoralized. For the first time my head was gone. I thought I was the only one and didn't check in for a while but I'm really really sorry to hear that there are others that are going through a tough time - I wish you all a speedy recovery. And to those that are flying it, its fantastic to hear. Only three weeks to go.......

I hope things have settled down for you now. It's definitely not easy to balance everything. But as you say "only three weeks..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Rollercoaster day for 2017 Novices! To those who completed the last pre taper LSRs well done! Special mention to Lazare, BrownEyes79 and skyblue46 for finally putting some faces to usernames ;)
    To ariana, Damo, leesider and others who didn't go so well, hang in there, as you've done so much hard work the last few months, and all is hopefully not lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Well done to all who got their last long long run done today, and spare a thought for the Sunday long runners among us.

I got new shoes during the week which I plan to use on the day itself. I've ran in them twice since I got them, and they've been fine, but my calves are a bit crampy feeling after wearing them. I had planned to wear them on my last long long run tomorrow, but now I'm thinking of wearing my older ones and leaving it another week before going 20k+ on the new shoes? I don't want to get caught 10 miles from home with cramps in my legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done to all who got their last long long run done today, and spare a thought for the Sunday long runners among us.

I got new shoes during the week which I plan to use on the day itself. I've ran in them twice since I got them, and they've been fine, but my calves are a bit crampy feeling after wearing them. I had planned to wear them on my last long long run tomorrow, but now I'm thinking of wearing my older ones and leaving it another week before going 20k+ on the new shoes? I don't want to get caught 10 miles from home with cramps in my legs.

New shoes possibly contributed to my calf exploding this time last year. I plunged them into use in a 10 mile MP session and it took weeks for a strain to recover. Maybe consider slowly breaking the new ones in, even though there’s not much time left.

Good luck to all doing their LSRs today and the 3/4 race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

+1 to this good luck to everyone today;last big LSR or the 3/4.....would be interested on your thoughts on this one if you are doing it.

Have a lot to catch up with the thread by the look of the posts over the last couple of days; I will be on later for a proper catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Howdy folks. I'm doing DCM in a few weeks and have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer for.

I completed a 17m run last week at 9:51 min/mile pace and all but discounted the idea of running a sub 4hr marathon on the day, but yesterday I went out and ran the 20m at 9:23 and felt much better. Do people here think a sub 4 is a feasible target or should I just stick to the paces I've been running at? Should I head out with the 4hr pacer and pull back if needed or would that potentially lead to me walking the last 6 miles?

Best of luck to everyone, hope the long runs went well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Singer wrote: »
    New shoes possibly contributed to my calf exploding this time last year. I plunged them into use in a 10 mile MP session and it took weeks for a strain to recover. Maybe consider slowly breaking the new ones in, even though there’s not much time left.

So I got new shoes yesterday, my old ones are dead essentially and my feet have been very sore the last few weeks. I had the 20 miler planned today, I'm guessing it would be a bad idea in the new shoes then?

If so would I be better postponing the 20m for s few days to break the shoes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Go for the 20m in your old shoes, even if you have to give them CPR.

You don't want to find out 2 miles into a 20 miles run that your shiny new shoes are going to hurt. Better to find out 2 miles into a 3 mile run.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Didn't update for last week but did my second 20 miles. It was tough and had me questioning my pace on the day.

Roll on to this weeks 18 mile and I went out to do skyblue46's 1/3 at LSR, 1/3 at easy and 1/3 at PMP.

My pace was a little erratic for the first 12. Could really feel the fatigue in my legs especially going up hill.

Upped the pace for the final 6. It felt comfortably hard. I was delighted with it and it is a real confidence boost.

Taper time...

Best of luck to everyone today running their own LSRs or running the 3/4 marathon. Hope everything goes to plan for everyone x

I hope you are feeling better today Ariana....jist catching up on the thread and that sounded like a tough day for you yesterday.

Hopefully nothing to serious you have major miles in the legs so get yourself to a position where you can toe the line.

Best of luck to everyone today running their own LSRs or running the 3/4 marathon. Hope everything goes to plan for everyone x

Hope you get some good news this week Damo you have been lashing out some impressive running through this whole training cycle.

Marathon training puts some serious strain on the body and any weaknesses will be found out. For all of that have little niggles hopefully taper time will do you the world of good.

Plenty of miles in the tank to get you through the marathon.

3 weeks to go who would have thought this time would come around so quickly.

Must be a day for injuries, 20 miles turned into 13. Knee went in Castleknock so instead of going out the chapelizod gate I just continued on in the park to go home, it's not as bad when I run faster on it. Got unbearable at about mile 11 and had to walk the rest of the way home.

Waiting to hear back from one physio about an appointment but got a recommendation from one of the lads in the run hub for a very good one so probably just go to him.

Suppose I'll know the real answer next week, well done to everyone else on the runs today, roll on the taper for ye!

• Advertisement

I hope you are feeling better today Ariana....jist catching up on the thread and that sounded like a tough day for you yesterday.

Hopefully nothing to serious you have major miles in the legs so get yourself to a position where you can toe the line.
    Thanks Scot. Still limping today though the knee is def moving a bit better. Heading for another ice bath @ 12oc. At the end of the day it's just a run, I'm blessed to be able run and to have gotten this far in the training, I'm still feeling hopeful but if this one doesn't happen then there'll be other marathons.

There in one post sums up the correct attitude to have! Enjoy ( if that's the right word to use) ice bath.

*why did I not make my user name ascotindublin....would save so much confusion!

Craig (big day for us....I am sure we can find a way of messing things up!)

Thanks Scot. Still limping today though the knee is def moving a bit better. Heading for another ice bath @ 12oc. At the end of the day it's just a run, I'm blessed to be able run and to have gotten this far in the training, I'm still feeling hopeful but if this one doesn't happen then there'll be other marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Just catching up on all the posts from yesterday... what a day!
    I really hope you and Damo get good news from the physio and the knee problems are nothing too serious. As others has said it’s good timing with the taper!
    Let us know how the ice bath went, I don’t think I’d be brave enough for that one :)

Kellygirl, hows the stomach this morning? Sorry to hear you had to cut your lsr sort yesterday x

Skyblue & Lazare, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you both yesterday. Thanks for running with me, it was the most enjoyable lsr I’ve done in the training, it miles flew by!
    Maybe we could organize another meet up for the last lsr?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just catching up on all the posts from yesterday... what a day!
    I really hope you and Damo get good news from the physio and the knee problems are nothing too serious. As others has said it’s good timing with the taper!
    Let us know how the ice bath went, I don’t think I’d be brave enough for that one :)

Kellygirl, hows the stomach this morning? Sorry to hear you had to cut your lsr sort yesterday x

Skyblue & Lazare, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you both yesterday. Thanks for running with me, it was the most enjoyable lsr I’ve done in the training, it miles flew by!
    Maybe we could organize another meet up for the last lsr?

That sounds like a plan! I can't make next Saturday but if we can organise a group for the last 8 mile 'lsr' I'd be all over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yeah, the 8 mile would be a great one to meet up. Time enough to grab a coffee afterwards too.

Kellygirl, hows the stomach this morning? Sorry to hear you had to cut your lsr sort yesterday

Tender and just after eating now and sore again. Hopefully will be ok. Not going to do a recovery run today. hopefully rest will help.

Hope everybody else doing ok.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Tender and just after eating now and sore again. Hopefully will be ok. Not going to do a recovery run today. hopefully rest will help.

Hope everybody else doing ok.

Mind yourself, definitely rest x

Browneyes thanks. Had my 2nd ice bath, god it's like a form of torture! Physio had a quick examination of my knee as well. My peroneal tendons from my heel right into my knee are all very tender. It's all stemming from weak glutes. He gave me more Glute activation exercises to do. No running for at least 1 week. No more high mileage. He'll treat me properly on Wednesday but in the meantime he thinks I will make the start line but if I want to make the finish line I will need to rethink my goals as 'pace' rather than distance will cause the joint to lock again. So I may be targeting a 5 hr marathon but it's still a marathon right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Got the 20 in today, took it fairly handy. Easily could have gone on for another 6.....metres!

Wore a gel belt today for the first time. Lower back a bit tender after it. I couldn't really figure out the best way to wear it. Most people with the pouch type ones seem to wear it with the pouch on their back so I did the same. No problem with it during the run which is the main thing!

Hope everyone's 20 milers went to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Last few pages are proper full on battle mode here, amazing. Best of luck to Ariana and others who are going into taper after truly pushing their limits. Fantastic.

I havent had a decent LSR in three weeks for various reasons. I have only had two 27-28k runs so far and both were before the half marathon. I was looking forward to attempting 30+ this weekend but woke up last night with sore tummy, and wanting to throw up and now I have some body ache etc too. Sounds like LSR (and taper) will have to wait... Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My God - its like an episode of 'Casualty' in here :(

Keep strong folks - 3 weeks to go - Miracles can and well happen for some - for others, remember, its just a run (As a wise lady said previously).

Running 26.2m on an injury can cause longer term damage.
    Make sure you have the physios 'OK' to start.

Advertisement