Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Got my 20 (plus one more after getting a tad lost) miles done this morning. Just in keeping with the theme over the last couple of days, my knee was a bit at me for the last 4 miles or so. Nothing bad enough to stop my run, and whenever I stopped at lights it was back to being OK for the next while.

It's a tiny bit at me now, but hopefully with a bit of stretching and all it'll be ok in the next day or two, and then I'll spend the next 3 weeks stretching and strengthening the relevant areas to try make sure it doesn't happen on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hey all I've loads to catch up on, I'm on my phone on my way home from the 3/4 marathon so happy to have it done , I hit a wall at 19.5 miles I had to walk through it, I thought I was going to be sick ,hubby talked me through it and Neady if your reading your marathon report and what you wrote in your report, you ran your self in to this you can run your self out of it.

It was also great chatting to my fellow novices thanks so much for saying hello

I'll be back later to catch up and report in more detail now I will wobble into kildare village hubby wants to look at runners lol

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

ariana` wrote: »
    Mind yourself, definitely rest x

Browneyes thanks. Had my 2nd ice bath, god it's like a form of torture! Physio had a quick examination of my knee as well. My peroneal tendons from my heel right into my knee are all very tender. It's all stemming from weak glutes. He gave me more Glute activation exercises to do. No running for at least 1 week. No more high mileage. He'll treat me properly on Wednesday but in the meantime he thinks I will make the start line but if I want to make the finish line I will need to rethink my goals as 'pace' rather than distance will cause the joint to lock again. So I may be targeting a 5 hr marathon but it's still a marathon right :)

That’s great news that you’ll make the start and a 5hr marathon is great! You’re very lucky to have a physio that will see you on a Sunday x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Browneyes thanks. Had my 2nd ice bath, god it's like a form of torture! Physio had a quick examination of my knee as well. My peroneal tendons from my heel right into my knee are all very tender. It's all stemming from weak glutes. He gave me more Glute activation exercises to do. No running for at least 1 week. No more high mileage. He'll treat me properly on Wednesday but in the meantime he thinks I will make the start line but if I want to make the finish line I will need to rethink my goals as 'pace' rather than distance will cause the joint to lock again. So I may be targeting a 5 hr marathon but it's still a marathon right :)

That is brilliant news that you will make the day. What a relief.
    thunderdog wrote: »
    Got the 20 in today, took it fairly handy. Easily could have gone on for another 6.....metres!

Wore a gel belt today for the first time. Lower back a bit tender after it. I couldn't really figure out the best way to wear it. Most people with the pouch type ones seem to wear it with the pouch on their back so I did the same. No problem with it during the run which is the main thing!

Hope everyone's 20 milers went to plan

What belt did you use? I have a selection but the High 5 gel belt is great and super light. I also have the Nathan version of the flip belt and haven’t decided which i’ll Use for DCM. Both brilliant.
    positron wrote: »
    Last few pages are proper full on battle mode here, amazing. Best of luck to Ariana and others who are going into taper after truly pushing their limits. Fantastic.

I havent had a decent LSR in three weeks for various reasons. I have only had two 27-28k runs so far and both were before the half marathon. I was looking forward to attempting 30+ this weekend but woke up last night with sore tummy, and wanting to throw up and now I have some body ache etc too. Sounds like LSR (and taper) will have to wait... Fingers crossed.

Get better soon.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Hey all I've loads to catch up on, I'm on my phone on my way home from the 3/4 marathon so happy to have it done , I hit a wall at 19.5 miles I had to wall thought I was going to be sick but I didn't and hubby talked me through it and Neady if your reading your marathon report and what you wrote in your report, you ran your self in to this you can run your self out of it.

It was also great chatting to my fellow novices thanks so much for saying hello

I'll be back later to catch up and report in more detail now I will wobble in to kildare village hubby wants to look at runners lol

Well done. Was it a good race? Great to have it over with and be looking forward to taper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Asking again for a friend...he did the 3/4 today as his long run...was due to 22 so did a mile out and back today warm up ...it’s his first marathon an did today in 3.29 I think...
    Only problem today was that for some reason he hit the wall at 12 mile mark and it kind of threw him..he is now kind of worried about hitting the wall so early in the full marathon...he just described it as all of his energy draining from his body at once ..he wasn’t going mad pace or anything but definitely had to slow down and get refocused...his food seems ok and brings snacks with him...gels don’t agree with him...
    Anyone any advice on how to prevent this happening so early in the marathon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Ariana, kellygirl, Damo.....hope ye are all better today. The miles are in the bank so hopefully the rest over the taper will see ye back in to condition for this day 3 weeks.

Well done to the folks that did the 3/4 marathon. Looks to be an interesting race. I must have a look at it myself next year.

Week 14 report

Really good week. All my runs were solid. Pacing was strong and consistent and motivation remained high from the half and 20 miler over the 2 weeks previous.

Monday - 5m easy
    Tuesday - 5m paced at pmp
    Wednesday - gym. Mostly upper body stuff
    Thursday - 7m boards session. Really good. 8.30 average was comfortable.
    Friday- gym. Deadlifts and core.
    Saturday - 18m LSR up to howth summit. Hoping that the climbs on the long runs will have built endurance in my legs for the climbs at roebuck on race day.
    Sunday - 4m recovery.

Tapering begins. Only 3 weeks. Nerves beginning to jangle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

That’s great news that you’ll make the start and a 5hr marathon is great! You’re very lucky to have a physio that will see you on a Sunday x
    He said he would leave the key out for me to use the ice bath but he forgot so he popped down to open up for me and while he was there he just had a quick examination, he didn't treat me as such bit it's too soon anyhow with inflammation. He's so good I am lucky. He's more of a gaa man but he ran a marathon himself so he does get it.

Baby well done today. You did brilliant.

KG I must check out those belts. I might need a new one as I'll have tonnes of gels now if I'm going for 5 hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Positron hope you feel better soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

I know I don't post often or reply but jeez I love reading this!

Well done all, it's a great source of motivation and info.

Just do whatever it takes to get the start line between now and the day.

On the day, do whatever it takes to get to the finish line. It won't be the distance but the pace that could catch us so go steady!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ariana, kellygirl, Damo.....hope ye are all better today. The miles are in the bank so hopefully the rest over the taper will see ye back in to condition for this day 3 weeks.

Well done to the folks that did the 3/4 marathon. Looks to be an interesting race. I must have a look at it myself next year.

Week 14 report

Really good week. All my runs were solid. Pacing was strong and consistent and motivation remained high from the half and 20 miler over the 2 weeks previous.

Monday - 5m easy
    Tuesday - 5m paced at pmp
    Wednesday - gym. Mostly upper body stuff
    Thursday - 7m boards session. Really good. 8.30 average was comfortable.
    Friday- gym. Deadlifts and core.
    Saturday - 18m LSR up to howth summit. Hoping that the climbs on the long runs will have built endurance in my legs for the climbs at roebuck on race day.
    Sunday - 4m recovery.

Tapering begins. Only 3 weeks. Nerves beginning to jangle a bit.

Well done on a great week! Mine was very similar except I replaced gym sessions with pint sessions :D So far, so good, touch wood. At this point I nearly feel guilty for having had a trouble free 15 weeks. I just keep getting this horrible feeling that there has to be a curve ball ahead!

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Asking again for a friend...he did the 3/4 today as his long run...was due to 22 so did a mile out and back today warm up ...it’s his first marathon an did today in 3.29 I think...
    Only problem today was that for some reason he hit the wall at 12 mile mark and it kind of threw him..he is now kind of worried about hitting the wall so early in the full marathon...he just described it as all of his energy draining from his body at once ..he wasn’t going mad pace or anything but definitely had to slow down and get refocused...his food seems ok and brings snacks with him...gels don’t agree with him...
    Anyone any advice on how to prevent this happening so early in the marathon...

It would be hard to guess without knowing anything about his training history, the pace he started at relative to training paces, the food, the snacks etc.

Lazare wrote: »
    Yeah, the 8 mile would be a great one to meet up. Time enough to grab a coffee afterwards too.

I'll keep posting closer to the date to see if we can gather up a few more.

He said he would leave the key out for me to use the ice bath but he forgot so he popped down to open up for me and while he was there he just had a quick examination, he didn't treat me as such bit it's too soon anyhow with inflammation. He's so good I am lucky. He's more of a gaa man but he ran a marathon himself so he does get it.

Baby well done today. You did brilliant.

KG I must check out those belts. I might need a new one as I'll have tonnes of gels now if I'm going for 5 hours ;)

Both are great. Really don’t know which I’ll wear on the day - might come down to weather as the Nathan is material though it got soaked one day and still no problem. You’ll get use out of that on any run whereas the high 5 one you’d just use in a race really. It just takes 6 gels and has a pouch then which took my phone and a tissues or whatever else I carried.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Both are great. Really don’t know which I’ll wear on the day - might come down to weather as the Nathan is material though it got soaked one day and still no problem. You’ll get use out of that on any run whereas the high 5 one you’d just use in a race really. It just takes 6 gels and has a pouch then which took my phone and a tissues or whatever else I carried.

Lippy? Eye shadow? Copy of RTE Guide? :p

20 miles done - Like a stitch but much sharper. After the pain cleared a bit I took another two and it came back worse than ever. So back to just gels from now on. Confidence knocked a bit though as the last 10km was such a struggle. Not sure how I'll do another 10km on the day.
    Anyway, it's done and Taper time!!!!

Well done on the 20 miler I hope the tummy is ok good you know what is triggering it
    Well that was a disaster :(
    I cant even walk at the moment, i can't bend the offending knee at all. Sorry for the "poor me" post.

You poor thing, I hope they physio sorts you out and as others have said probably good timing you have time to strengthen and can hopefully get back running or cycle instead if needs be
    Well done. Was it a good race? Great to have it over with and be looking forward to taper now.
    It was a great event, everyone ran it as a training run loads of water, food, toilets and support from fellow runners and it was great meeting to other lovely ladies from here and I know they told me their usernames but I have gone blank now lovely running with them both for a while :D

Which brings me to how my longest run ever went!

I made a big mistake today,
    I changed my watch to miles ( I was thinking it would help me not focus on how much I had left to do) nope!! I was not watching my pace as I am used to running in KM and know what my pace should be in KM

We started out very well, behind the 4hr 30 pacers, it was very congested and we moved up to get out of the way and just ahead of pacers. I was chatting to hubby and looking at my watch I thought I was running slow enough and before we knew it pacers were out of sight behind us. I felt ok so was not worried, I did wonder if it was a little fast and checked my watch but thought we were ok.

at some stage, I met up with one of our novices annapr it was great chatting and running along Hubby pulled away from us and I started to feel my right calf get tight so I slowed down a little, last I seen was annapr flying a long running very well. met with hubby at the water station and carried on and along cam next Anne and we chatted for a little I took your advice and stopped and stretched and actually got hubby to massage the tightness out,

I was worried at this point, I was afraid it would go and I would not be able to finish it was at this point the 4hr 30 paces passed us and I say we had about less than half the distance left to do, I realised I had ran too fast at the start and was feeling it, really hit a wall at around 6km left to go! once I got through that I kept going and was even able to speed up at the finish.

My confidence is knocked though how I felt for the last 12 km of today's LSR keeps playing on my mind, knowing on marathon day I have that again ec
    extra to run not sure if I could.

I am worried I have not done enough or my LSR maybe should have been longer, I have totally changed my time goal to 5hrs or more or to just finish now

well done to everyone I hope all niggles go quickly and we are all in flying form come DCM

Sorry for the essay

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Lippy? Eye shadow? Copy of RTE Guide? :p

God no - had all my make up tattoo’d on before the day so i’d look good in all the photos. It’s important to be organized! :D

It was a great event, everyone ran it as a training run loads of water, food, toilets and support from fellow runners and it was great meeting to other lovely ladies from here and I know they told me their usernames but I have gone blank now lovely running with them both for a while :D

Which brings me to how my longest run ever went!

I made a big mistake today,
    I changed my watch to miles ( I was thinking it would help me not focus on how much I had left to do) nope!! I was not watching my pace as I am used to running in KM and know what my pace should be in KM

We started out very well, behind the 4hr 30 pacers, it was very congested and we moved up to get out of the way and just ahead of pacers. I was chatting to hubby and looking at my watch I thought I was running slow enough and before we knew it pacers were out of sight behind us. I felt ok so was not worried, I did wonder if it was a little fast and checked my watch but thought we were ok.

at some stage, I met up with one of our novices annapr it was great chatting and running along Hubby pulled away from us and I started to feel my right calf get tight so I slowed down a little, last I seen was annapr flying a long running very well. met with hubby at the water station and carried on and along cam next Anne and we chatted for a little I took your advice and stopped and stretched and actually got hubby to massage the tightness out,

I was worried at this point, I was afraid it would go and I would not be able to finish it was at this point the 4hr 30 paces passed us and I say we had about less than half the distance left to do, I realised I had ran too fast at the start and was feeling it, really hit a wall at around 6km left to go! once I got through that I kept going and was even able to speed up at the finish.

My confidence is knocked though how I felt for the last 12 km of today's LSR keeps playing on my mind, knowing on marathon day I have that again ec
    extra to run not sure if I could.

I am worried I have not done enough or my LSR maybe should have been longer, I have totally changed my time goal to 5hrs or more or to just finish now

well done to everyone I hope all niggles go quickly and we are all in flying form come DCM

Sorry for the essay

I bet you have learned loads from today so sounds like it was great. Worth doing it for that alone i’d say.

Firstly you kept going and things got better again so you need to remember that on the day when you go through a bad stage.

Secondly, you were running on tired legs with no taper - and got ahead of the pacers. A post in the last few pages mentioned 10-15 seconds per km or mile at the start can make a big difference later on. You’ll be much fresher on marathon day.

Interesting about you changing to miles. I thought about doing that as I made a paceband for yesterday’s run and obviously would be smaller if miles as opposed to kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

As Kellygirl says Baby, take the lessons from today. Don't be too down about it, that's why you did it, to find this stuff out now.

Not that you need to reevaluate your goal time btw, but your pacing strategy.

Have a look back at discussion around SkyBlue's progression run that he did last week. That's the sort of strat we all need to employ. You got first hand experience today, take that positive from the day.

I bet you have learned loads from today so sounds like it was great. Worth doing it for that alone i’d say.

Firstly you kept going and things got better again so you need to remember that on the day when you go through a bad stage.

Secondly, you were running on tired legs with no taper - and got ahead of the pacers. A post in the last few pages mentioned 10-15 seconds per km or mile at the start can make a big difference later on. You’ll be much fresher on marathon day.

Interesting about you changing to miles. I thought about doing that as I made a paceband for yesterday’s run and obviously would be smaller if miles as opposed to kms.

Thanks so much, a good friend said the same so it is reassuring :)

I am amazed how changing to miles, threw me off so much, in the end, I was watching the KM markers and it was great seeing them get 30 KM it was to late to change my watch back so left it.

Now chaffing anyone any quick cures! unfortunately, I have had a falling out with my sports bra :D after today and the state of me, I used anti-chaffing cream as well!!

I am amazed how changing to miles, threw me off so much, in the end, I was watching the KM markers and it was great seeing them get 30 KM it was to late to change my watch back so left it.

Now chaffing anyone any quick cures! unfortunately, I have had a falling out with my sports bra :D after today and the state of me, I used anti-chaffing cream as well!!

Teatree oil - I have used that and takes the sting away. Usually i’m ok the next day, it’s just the initial shower that stings like hell. What cream did you use? I find Body Glide great. Still miss the odd spot but I coat myself in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Week 16

A very mixed bag to say the least for the 2017 Novices. Some unreal performances on the last LSRs (including the 3/4 Marathon) before the taper begins. We also had the first Novice meetup, with maybe another to follow. Unfortunately some of our most active Novices are now on the treatment table!

I can't predict with any accuracy what may happen with your physio visits. All I can say really is, best of luck, and whatever happens now you've got the hard work done, so try not to worry too much and fingers crossed the breaks will go in your favour.

I'm so proud of the efforts from everyone here the last few months. Who would have predicted we'd be on the brink of running a marathon this year?

Even though we're now in the taper period, it's not as if you're stopping altogether, more winding down gradually. Hence, both plans have the same number of runs, just with less mileage. So eat, sleep and hydrate as well as you can, because the date with destiny is getting ever nearer!

@statina, congrats on your 20 miler, I would take that in a heartbeat, and not be concerned about trying to bag another so near the main event. This is what we mean when we talk about not trying to chase lost miles ;) Same rules apply to anyone else considering similar :D

Thanks again to all my collaborators. It means a lot, especially when I've had a very busy weekend of my own :)

Plans for next week as follows:-

HHN1: Rest + 5M easy + 8M easy + 4M easy + Rest + 12M LSR + cross

Boards: (Rest/cross/3M rec) + 5M easy + 5M easy + 5M easy + (Rest/cross/3M rec) + 14M LSR + (rest/cross/3M rec)

Good luck everyone!

Browneyes, Lazare.... ;)

As Kellygirl says Baby, take the lessons from today. Don't be too down about it, that's why you did it, to find this stuff out now.

Have a look back at discussion around SkyBlue's progression run that he did last week. That's the sort of strat we all need to employ. You got first hand experience today, take that positive from the day.

I will do I will pacing my self better for DCM

Kellygirl it's normally brilliant and works it's a cream for cyclists. Getting in the bath tonight stung all right that's when I noticed it. I'll need a better prevention for DCM

How were the legs today? Did you recover alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    How were the legs today? Did you recover alright?

They felt good today, was a bit hobbly yesterday alright, but all good now thankfully. You were right as rain afterwards which was impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Hey ariana. Sorry to hear about the injury and hopefully you get back on the road soon. I probably should've piped up earlier but I see this so often in logs and threads and rarely get listened to when I say it so have given up the ghost on saying it most of the time(not said it here I think but just years of it In general).

You guys will have to slow up on the training runs. I see so many posts here about runs at marathon pace, close to MP or even faster on long runs and easy runs. A lot of you guys are getting overuse injuries, too many tbh and a lot of that stems from running too hard when you shouldn't be. Pretty much all of you guys are running more mileage than ever before and some considerably more and this does take it's toll for sure but I don't think the mileage is the major contributor here. Running as hard as a lot of you guys do when you are supposed to be running easy is the major factor imo. it doesn't give your muscles a chance to recover properly so they become tighter and overworked, add to this that running faster uses a greater range of motion when something is tight and you get the idea.

It's a classic novice mistake but easy runs and those paces are there for a reason, this is what training has become through over a 100 years of honing by some of the greatest coaches in history through experience and 100's of thousands of athletes before you guys. it feels unreal to blast out fast runs all the time but with experience comes knowledge that you have to manage that too with discipline and realise when it's time to push and time to hold back. There's an old saying about easy runs which goes that you should be embarrassed running that pace if a friend sees you. The purpose of them is to recover and improve low intensity fitness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 5 mile easy - 7.87km @ 7:41
    Tuesday - 5 mile easy - 9.08km @ 7:42
    Wednesday - 10 mile easy - 16.57km @ 7:57
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 20 mile LSR - 32.80 @ 8:24
    Sunday - rest

Total = 66.31km

So, my longest long run now done. "Done" but not "ran". My previous longest run was 16 miles so I wanted to beat that at least, and I did. I did about 18 miles (29.25km) before I walked the remaining distance.

What I have categorically learned from this run is that there is no way I'll be able to run the whole marathon, no matter how slow and easy I take it in the early part of the race. My pacing was pretty much spot on for the first 25km-ish of this run. The last 4km were a huge effort, and I could give no more when I stopped to walk.

So, my question now is how to attack the marathon? I was thinking that now I know I can do 18 miles, I could run that, and walk the remaining 8. But (a), I seem to find races harder than training runs so there's no guarantee I'll even make it to 18 miles on the day (the crowds' support is great, but it's nearly hard not run a little faster than you should when you hear them cheering you on, at least that's my experience from the three race-series races), and (b), I'm not sure I'd have the energy to walk another 8 miles, as I know the last 2 miles on Saturday's 20 were tough enough.

My other thought is to run a distance that I'm relatively comfortable with, so say 22km, leaving a nice round 20km, and then alternating between walking 5km and running 5km (twice) to cross the line running at least. This is currently my prefered tactic.

Whichever way I cook it though, my predicted time of 5:40 is now highly unlikely. I calculated my time based on running 18 miles as I did on Saturday and walking 8 miles at the same pace I walked the last 2 on Saturday and I'm coming in at well over the 6 hours now.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Hey ariana. Sorry to hear about the injury and hopefully you get back on the road soon. I probably should've piped up earlier but I see this so often in logs and threads and rarely get listened to when I say it so have given up the ghost on saying it most of the time(not said it here I think but just years of it In general).

You guys will have to slow up on the training runs. I see so many posts here about runs at marathon pace, close to MP or even faster on long runs and easy runs. A lot of you guys are getting overuse injuries, too many tbh and a lot of that stems from running too hard when you shouldn't be. Pretty much all of you guys are running more mileage than ever before and some considerably more and this does take it's toll for sure but I don't think the mileage is the major contributor here. Running as hard as a lot of you guys do when you are supposed to be running easy is the major factor imo. it doesn't give your muscles a chance to recover properly so they become tighter and overworked, add to this that running faster uses a greater range of motion when something is tight and you get the idea.

It's a classic novice mistake but easy runs and those paces are there for a reason, this is what training has become through over a 100 years of honing by some of the greatest coaches in history through experience and 100's of thousands of athletes before you guys. it feels unreal to blast out fast runs all the time but with experience comes knowledge that you have to manage that too with discipline and realise when it's time to push and time to hold back. There's an old saying about easy runs which goes that you should be embarrassed running that pace if a friend sees you. The purpose of them is to recover and improve low intensity fitness.

This is pure gold and with just 3 weeks to go it's a timely reminder. Most of us will feel stronger as the distances we run get shorter in the taper. This isn't the time to bang in fast training runs. Remember in the boards and HH training plans there are no runs faster than PMP.

Ariana, I have to say this probably doesn't apply to you as in my role of Novices Group Strava Stalker I have noticed you are one of the best at keeping lsr, easy and recovery paces in the ranges they should be for your PMP and it was an area you paid particular attention to.

I'm hoping this is not a cause for alarm but I've woken up with mild bruising around my ankle on the inside, I think no swelling or it is very mild swelling but my foot is quite sore esp arch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Even though it hurt you yesterday you should probably wear the same bra on marathon day since it’s broken in now!! If you wear a different one you’ll prob have the same problem but in new spots!

Skyblue have you no advice on sports bras..... :D:D

Advertisement