Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Baby75 wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is not a cause for alarm but I've woken up with mild bruising around my ankle on the inside, I think no swelling or it is very mild swelling but my foot is quite sore esp arch.

Oh no, just read this..... a chaffing sports bra is probably the least of you worries hope it nothing too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

quickbeam wrote: »
    My week:

Monday - 5 mile easy - 7.87km @ 7:41
    Tuesday - 5 mile easy - 9.08km @ 7:42
    Wednesday - 10 mile easy - 16.57km @ 7:57
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 20 mile LSR - 32.80 @ 8:24
    Sunday - rest

Total = 66.31km

So, my longest long run now done. "Done" but not "ran". My previous longest run was 16 miles so I wanted to beat that at least, and I did. I did about 18 miles (29.25km) before I walked the remaining distance.

What I have categorically learned from this run is that there is no way I'll be able to run the whole marathon, no matter how slow and easy I take it in the early part of the race. My pacing was pretty much spot on for the first 25km-ish of this run. The last 4km were a huge effort, and I could give no more when I stopped to walk.

So, my question now is how to attack the marathon? I was thinking that now I know I can do 18 miles, I could run that, and walk the remaining 8. But (a), I seem to find races harder than training runs so there's no guarantee I'll even make it to 18 miles on the day (the crowds' support is great, but it's nearly hard not run a little faster than you should when you hear them cheering you on, at least that's my experience from the three race-series races), and (b), I'm not sure I'd have the energy to walk another 8 miles, as I know the last 2 miles on Saturday's 20 were tough enough.

My other thought is to run a distance that I'm relatively comfortable with, so say 22km, leaving a nice round 20km, and then alternating between walking 5km and running 5km (twice) to cross the line running at least. This is currently my prefered tactic.

Whichever way I cook it though, my predicted time of 5:40 is now highly unlikely. I calculated my time based on running 18 miles as I did on Saturday and walking 8 miles at the same pace I walked the last 2 on Saturday and I'm coming in at well over the 6 hours now.

There's a multitude of ways for you to approach this - all very valid - so dont be stressing, that just takes energy :)

You may be setting yourself up for an epic yet painful last few miles.
    One possibility of your approach is that your body doesn't respond to being able to run again after walking for 5km - especially towards the end of the marathon.
    Maybe think about walking earlier and more often, but for a smaller amount of time. e.g. Run 10k - walk 1k (1k is a long way and will take a while - you'll be well recovered after 1k) / or do it by time - run 40 mins, walk for 5 and repeat.

You can develop a number of combinations around this, BUT I would encourage you, if you think you need to walk - DONT leave it till you cant run anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Even though it hurt you yesterday you should probably wear the same bra on marathon day since it’s broken in now!! If you wear a different one you’ll prob have the same problem but in new spots!

Skyblue have you no advice on sports bras..... :D:D

My advice.....burn the bra!!! :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got a physio appointment tonight for 7 o clock with Aidan Woods, supposed to be really good. Will let yous know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andy31

Unfortunately I have also been suffering with injury (medial arch) issues!  Going back to physio today - was at a podiatrist last week and he said try the long run this weekend (18m) and see how I get on.  I did and got through it but i think i have strained it slightly further, so I am thinking about resting it almost completely between now and the date of the marathon.  Does anyone know whether at this stage, it's going to have that much of an impact overall on my fitness - I would ahve thought by now most of the hard work is now done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Got a physio appointment tonight for 7 o clock with Aidan Woods, supposed to be really good. Will let yous know how I get on.

all the guys over there are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Morning all, Its been a busy few days for you all with lots of setbacks etc but hope all comes good with the upcoming taper and reduction in mileage.

My week went ok I think. Got the miles in and didn't feel too bad.
    Below is my weeks running. I also did an abs class on Monday and a circuit on Tues.

Day Miles Time Pace
    Monday 02-Oct 6.02 57.24 9.32
    Wednesday 04-Oct 10.09 1.37.4 9.41
    Friday 06-Oct 5.11 50.03 9.48
    Saturday 07-Oct 21.02 3.39.31 10.27

Still struggling with pace as all bar LSR were well quicker than PMP with the LSR being maybe 10/15 secs slower than my most ambitious/possibly unrealistic PMP.
    I had planned to try follow some of your leads and do the LSR at about 10:40 for first 15 miles and then 10:10/pmp for last 6. Needless to say it didn't happen. First 15 were faster than planned and then miles 17-18 are 1.5 miles of a constant uphill drag with the wind in your face so not an easy time to pick up the pace. They were infact my slowest miles at about 10:50. I did push on a bit for the last mile and did it in 10 even. By end of run I was tired and wouldn't fancy another 5 miles, but part of it was boredom too. I'd had enough and wanted to be finished, hopefully the crowd and other runners will help with that aspect on the day.

Legs were wrecked after it but only for about half an hour but once I changed and ate I was good again.

So nerves and doubts kicking in big time now, do I go for 4hr30 and possibly blow up or stick with 4hr45 and maybe be left feeling I could have done more? Will try to look at diet for next three weeks, have totally ignored this until now, and take the runs easier and just make it to 29th in one piece. I've become paranoid about minding my body and wondering if every twinge could be a sign of an injury!!

Thanks to everyone on here for keeping me motivated and informed. When you aren't part of a club or run alone its great to have this virtual team to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

My LSR (2nd longest of my plan, longest is next weekend) was 19miles and saw me in Grand Canal Square, the end of Dun Laoghaire's east pier, and doing the Fosters Ave-Orwell Road section of the marathon in reverse. It has made me appreciate how small Dublin is, and how much my fitness has improved when I'm thinking "I've only another 5km to go". 5km would have been a solid run for me at the beginning of this!

The big day's in sight. I can't wait to have this done!

My LSR (2nd longest of my plan, longest is next weekend) was 19miles and saw me in Grand Canal Square, the end of Dun Laoghaire's east pier, and doing the Fosters Ave-Orwell Road section of the marathon in reverse. It has made me appreciate how small Dublin is, and how much my fitness has improved when I'm thinking "I've only another 5km to go". 5km would have been a solid run for me at the beginning of this!

The big day's in sight. I can't wait to have this done!

Well done! Just out of curiosity what plan has you doing your longest run on the second last weekend?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done! Just out of curiosity what plan has you doing your longest run on the second last weekend?

I'm working with a coach who is doing the thinking while I'm neck-down only! In fairness, doing this 2 weeks out was not the original plan, but I broke my ankle a few months ago and had to rejig some dates and revise downwards some anticipated finishing times! I don't think it'd be recommended for most, but it is designed to make sure I take advantage of all the available time to get stronger and recover fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    God no - had all my make up tattoo’d on before the day so i’d look good in all the photos. It’s important to be organized! :D

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    El Caballo wrote: »
    Hey ariana. Sorry to hear about the injury and hopefully you get back on the road soon. I probably should've piped up earlier but I see this so often in logs and threads and rarely get listened to when I say it so have given up the ghost on saying it most of the time(not said it here I think but just years of it In general).

It's a classic novice mistake but easy runs and those paces are there for a reason, this is what training has become through over a 100 years of honing by some of the greatest coaches in history through experience and 100's of thousands of athletes before you guys. it feels unreal to blast out fast runs all the time but with experience comes knowledge that you have to manage that too with discipline and realise when it's time to push and time to hold back. There's an old saying about easy runs which goes that you should be embarrassed running that pace if a friend sees you. The purpose of them is to recover and improve low intensity fitness.

El Cab your advice on this thread has been excellent and appreciated, i've made a lot of notes on the back of your recent posts with regards to starting conservatively and so on. At the moment this current post feels a bit like 'salt in the wound' but that's my issue to deal with and i really hope others do read it and pay heed. I do remember in the early weeks having the mantra on my long runs of 'run slow and then slow it down more' and i think i was pretty good in the early weeks but then somewhere along the way i started concerning myself with other issues - fuel, distance, gear and the mantra got forgotten. I had 1 LSR that stands out at being way to fast for me and my PMP runs until recently were closer to 10m/HM paces. I had been more optimistic i guess when setting my PMP earlier on then and then i got caught in the rut of enjoying getting to stretch the legs a little bit one evening a week... well i'm paying the price now :o
    This is pure gold and with just 3 weeks to go it's a timely reminder. Most of us will feel stronger as the distances we run get shorter in the taper. This isn't the time to bang in fast training runs. Remember in the boards and HH training plans there are no runs faster than PMP.

Ariana, I have to say this probably doesn't apply to you as in my role of Novices Group Strava Stalker I have noticed you are one of the best at keeping lsr, easy and recovery paces in the ranges they should be for your PMP and it was an area you paid particular attention to.

I appreciate the vote of confidence i really do :) but i'm not sure i deserve it :o AS i said above my MP runs have been a good 20-30 seconds/km faster than they should have been. In my defense i was more optimistic about my finishing time when i set my paces in the early stage. And also in my defense these paces still felt comfortable for the distances we covered but in hindsight, well.... look where i am now :(
    My advice.....burn the bra!!! :-))

:pac::pac::pac:
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Brilliant. Do let us know how you get on.

I'm walking a bit more freely today. Still slight pain in the knee but no noticeable limp. Appointment for Wed.

I'm working with a coach who is doing the thinking while I'm neck-down only! In fairness, doing this 2 weeks out was not the original plan, but I broke my ankle a few months ago and had to rejig some dates and revise downwards some anticipated finishing times! I don't think it'd be recommended for most, but it is designed to make sure I take advantage of all the available time to get stronger and recover fully.

Ah I see. Glad you're over the broken ankle. Best of luck on the day. What's your revised time?

Ah I see. Glad you're over the broken ankle. Best of luck on the day. What's your revised time?

I'm going down the have-3-goals route:

A. If I have a great day, 4hrs.
    B. If I have an average day, 4hrs 15.
    C. If it's just one of those days, 4hrs 30.

Andy31 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have also been suffering with injury (medial arch) issues!  Going back to physio today - was at a podiatrist last week and he said try the long run this weekend (18m) and see how I get on.  I did and got through it but i think i have strained it slightly further, so I am thinking about resting it almost completely between now and the date of the marathon.  Does anyone know whether at this stage, it's going to have that much of an impact overall on my fitness - I would ahve thought by now most of the hard work is now done.

Hi Andy. I'm also interested in the answer to this question :rolleyes: I know there isn't much more fitness to be gained as such but i wonder how much can be lost if i/we don't run again for 3 whole weeks :eek: I'd be hoping that if i can't run i could at least cycle (turbo) or use an elliptical cross training.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well the weekend was real busy for me, usually get out Sunday morning or even the afternoon if I can for my LSR and had planned on doing around 16 miles.

However with lots to do with the family the weekend, it was 7pm when I got a chance to go out. Was very tired going out, nearly thinking of not doing it but I got my gear on and went on my way. However in my rush out the door I forgot my 3 energy gels I had planned on taking. I got to 11 miles, still feeling good to be honest from an energy POV but my knees were killing me. Finished 12 miles, 4 short of my target and went home.

Feeling stiff under my knee joints today and my foot is sore too. After a good month of no niggles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi Andy. I'm also interested in the answer to this question :rolleyes: I know there isn't much more fitness to be gained as such but i wonder how much can be lost if i/we don't run again for 3 whole weeks :eek: I'd be hoping that if i can't run i could at least cycle (turbo) or use an elliptical cross training.

Like a lot of things, the answer it depends on a number of things.

I like the idea of cycling and elliptical training - that's a good way to maintain the gains.

Doing nothing for 3 weeks may make you get to the start line, but you will need to reduce your targets. (I'd advise a few 'test runs' before hand)

I appreciate the vote of confidence i really do :) but i'm not sure i deserve it :o AS i said above my MP runs have been a good 20-30 seconds/km faster than they should have been. In my defense i was more optimistic about my finishing time when i set my paces in the early stage. And also in my defense these paces still felt comfortable for the distances we covered but in hindsight, well.... look where i am

Ariana you have to stop being so hard on yourself. You are far from being the worst 'offender' at something we are all guilty of. I've seen people running 4/5 mile runs @ 7:xx to low 8 minute miles regularly when their HM race paces were in the high 8's. In the overall scheme of things you have trained well. Of course I'll point out that I'm only a novice too so my observations might well be pure and utter tosh!! :pac:

Re the next 3 weeks I'd strongly advise you take the advice of your physio. He/she is the only person with an intimate knowledge of your injury. Any advice from posters here, no matter how wellmeaning, may only make the issue worse. (Had this posted before I saw AMKs post. It's not meant to disagree with him. I was referring to novices advising each other on serious injury rehab)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

El Cab your advice on this thread has been excellent and appreciated, i've made a lot of notes on the back of your recent posts with regards to starting conservatively and so on. At the moment this current post feels a bit like 'salt in the wound' but that's my issue to deal with and i really hope others do read it and pay heed. I do remember in the early weeks having the mantra on my long runs of 'run slow and then slow it down more' and i think i was pretty good in the early weeks but then somewhere along the way i started concerning myself with other issues - fuel, distance, gear and the mantra got forgotten. I had 1 LSR that stands out at being way to fast for me and my PMP runs until recently were closer to 10m/HM paces. I had been more optimistic i guess when setting my PMP earlier on then and then i got caught in the rut of enjoying getting to stretch the legs a little bit one evening a week... well i'm paying the price now :o

Sorry about that, tact isn't exactly my strong point. I know it stings now but sometimes, salt is exactly what you need to for a wound to heal better. You can't change what happened now so the best thing you can do is learn from it. Again, Hopefully you get back on the road soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    My week:

Monday - 5 mile easy - 7.87km @ 7:41
    Tuesday - 5 mile easy - 9.08km @ 7:42
    Wednesday - 10 mile easy - 16.57km @ 7:57
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 20 mile LSR - 32.80 @ 8:24
    Sunday - rest

Total = 66.31km

So, my longest long run now done. "Done" but not "ran". My previous longest run was 16 miles so I wanted to beat that at least, and I did. I did about 18 miles (29.25km) before I walked the remaining distance.

What I have categorically learned from this run is that there is no way I'll be able to run the whole marathon, no matter how slow and easy I take it in the early part of the race. My pacing was pretty much spot on for the first 25km-ish of this run. The last 4km were a huge effort, and I could give no more when I stopped to walk.

Actually what you have categorically learned from your run is that you were able to run 18 miles a few days after running 10 miles in a week where you have ran 40 Miles nearing the end of a tough training program ie on tired legs.

After taper you will be fresh which is bound to have you good for at least another few miles of running. My advice would not be the norm here but here it is anyway, forget about time, it's not important, less so in your first marathon. Go out and run by feel at a pace you are comfortable with and soak up the atmosphere, enjoy yourself as much as you can while running 26.2 miles and see where that gets you, my thinking is that you will surpass your expectations expressed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I'm not following it but I seen on the official DCM plan they send out via twitter, they have 18/20m for this coming weekend. Would that be right yeah.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I'm not following it but I seen on the official DCM plan they send out via twitter, they have 18/20m for this coming weekend. Would that be right yeah.?

Saw that too. It's the Irish Runner plan they're using - caused a bit of a stir on FB too!

Candamir wrote: »
    Saw that too. It's the Irish Runner plan they're using - caused a bit of a stir on FB too!

A stir? It has the makings of a rebellion! Looks like plenty are intending to go off plan next week. It should be pointed out though that this David Carrie plan has a great record at getting people over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just re watching my video from last year. First one is 10k in and the balloons are the 4hr pacers just to give ye a heads up on the size of the crowds

http://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/marathon/videos?r=10843&e=DM16M&n=Simon+O+Hare&nt_f=04:02:04&ct_f=13:14:08&ct_s2=10:08:27&ct_s3=11:10:07&ct_s4=12:01:29&k=finish&l=EN&gotostream=false

RasTa wrote: »
    Just re watching my video from last year. First one is 10k in and the balloons are the 4hr pacers just to give ye a heads up on the size of the crowds

http://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/marathon/videos?r=10843&e=DM16M&n=Simon+O+Hare&nt_f=04:02:04&ct_f=13:14:08&ct_s2=10:08:27&ct_s3=11:10:07&ct_s4=12:01:29&k=finish&l=EN&gotostream=false

That link wouldn't open for me. The Asics ad did but not the Castleknock clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

On my phone so can't quote.....
    My preferred dcm sports bra is also cutting me to bits at the moment. Was reluctant to change with less than 3 weeks to go now. Body glide isn't working. I'm using about 6 plasters in the worst places which is helping so maybe baby75 this will work for you too.

Quickbeam - I'm like you and have resigned myself to the fact that I may have to walk parts. But any time I walk I find it very hard to get running again so don't want to have extended walking periods. But I do think walking will help in that using different muscles and untensing my running ones regularly will enable me to run longer. So I'm going to walk while taking on drinks and gels for first 20 miles. Then if I'm struggling I think I'll walk for 30 secs every km for last 10km. Having a planned walking break works for me psychologically and I can keep going.

For my confidence , I think I need to do another long run ( 16 miles) this weekend. I know it's off plan but it will still be 15 days to d day. Any reasons why I shouldn't do it?

Finally, I'll probably be running on my own so really want to run with a pacing group. I'm running my long runs at 6:45 min kms which puts me between the 4:40 and 4:50 pacing groups. By now, I really don't think running any slower will help me run longer on the day. I'm thinking of starting at the back of the 4:40 group - they will be running 6:40 min kms. I don't expect to stay the full 26 miles with them and will end up drifting back. This will not demoralize me. And it allows plenty of time for a run walk strategy in last 10 kms so I get home with a 4 on the clock. I know this goes against all advice on banking time etc but does this apply to someone who knows they will be walking at some stage on the day?

leesider77 wrote: »
    Finally, I'll probably be running on my own so really want to run with a pacing group. I'm running my long runs at 6:45 min kms which puts me between the 4:40 and 4:50 pacing groups. By now, I really don't think running any slower will help me run longer on the day. I'm thinking of starting at the back of the 4:40 group - they will be running 6:40 min kms. I don't expect to stay the full 26 miles with them and will end up drifting back. This will not demoralize me. And it allows plenty of time for a run walk strategy in last 10 kms so I get home with a 4 on the clock. I know this goes against all advice on banking time etc but does this apply to someone who knows they will be walking at some stage on the day?

I'll be interested to hear what the experts say. I'd be inclined to think that there is a direct correlation between pace and how long you can sustain an effort for. Believe it. :) You may still have to walk from time to time but probably a lot less than if you ran faster.

Ariana you have to stop being so hard on yourself. You are far from being the worst 'offender' at something we are all guilty of. I've seen people running 4/5 mile runs @ 7:xx to low 8 minute miles regularly when their HM race paces were in the high 8's. In the overall scheme of things you have trained well. Of course I'll point out that I'm only a novice too so my observations might well be pure and utter tosh!! :pac:

:)
    Re the next 3 weeks I'd strongly advise you take the advice of your physio. He/she is the only person with an intimate knowledge of your injury. Any advice from posters here, no matter how wellmeaning, may only make the issue worse. (Had this posted before I saw AMKs post. It's not meant to disagree with him. I was referring to novices advising each other on serious injury rehab)

I will be doing exactly that don't you worry, i may suss out people's opinions on here but i'll be doing as i'm told by the expert :p

El Caballo wrote: »
    Sorry about that, tact isn't exactly my strong point. I know it stings now but sometimes, salt is exactly what you need to for a wound to heal better. You can't change what happened now so the best thing you can do is learn from it. Again, Hopefully you get back on the road soon.

I wasn't digging for an apology honestly, you're right in your posts! My pride is hurting as well as me knee i guess that's all :cool: but yip there's a lesson in it for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That link wouldn't open for me. The Asics ad did but not the Castleknock clip.

Clip should play after the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Oh god! Thanks for sharing. Made me very nervous watching that for some reason, makes it all seen real. Stays very crowded for a long time too.
    Is it too late to chicken out?!!!

• Advertisement

Clip should play after the ad

Must be the iPad...I'll try it on PC. Thanks

Edit: opened on PC. Inspiring and intimidating all at once!! Thanks again

Advertisement