Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Candamir wrote: »

More importantly. Regarding bra-gate. Have you ladies (Edit: or gents) with chaffing issues tried not using body glide under your bra? Might it be that it's causing movement and therefore chaffing where really there should be none if it's well fitting. Having tried several brands, I've always gone back to penny's best (not the very stretch light support one) and it's never moved or chaffed on me.
    Can't believe I'm discussing bras with complete strangers on the internet. There's probably a name for that.

LOL it's all relevant, before we started running yesterday I asked hubby did he put on his compression top to save his nipples! I was thinking I am glad I do not have that problem ouch completely forgetting about the all over chaffing that can happen from sports bra, I had great anti-chaffing cream on, it stopped the marks on my back from my straps getting worse but as for the rest of my cleavage lets just say its all red LOL but not hurting so that is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

peterc14 wrote: »

That seems like a great 22M run. I done 20M @ just below 8.30 at the weekend...it wasn't easy but was not impossible either. I am trying to work out my pacing for the big day and unsure whether to push for 3.30 or have a lower aim of 3.40-3.45.
    You numbers would seem to indicate 3.30 is definately possible - did you race a HM recently? Would just be interested to see how it compares.
    Hi Peter, I did the Dublin half in 1.40 but was coming back from injury and started late so spent the first 7 miles weaving in and out of people, so I don't think that's reflective. My PB for a half is 1.38 (strava timed) that was done in training.

A 3.30 marathon is close to 8.00 pace and I know that that is too fast to sustain for 26miles.

For a first marathon, I'd much prefer to regret leaving 5 or 10 minutes on the course than hitting the wall or just having a miserable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Drkpower, I'm in the exact same predicament as yourself with regards times. Our targets and HM times are all the same too. Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

drkpower wrote: »
    Hi Peter, I did the Dublin half in 1.40 but was coming back from injury and started late so spent the first 7 miles weaving in and out of people, so I don't think that's reflective. My PB for a half is 1.38 (strava timed) that was done in training.

A 3.30 marathon is close to 8.00 pace and I know that that is too fast to sustain for 26miles.

For a first marathon, I'd much prefer to regret leaving 5 or 10 minutes on the course than hitting the wall or just having a miserable time.

This. The first half of DCM will come back to bite you if you go out too fast. I think a 1:38 HM is borderline for a 3:30 marathon anyway, especially on your first when you don't know how you'll be at 22-23 miles. I'd suggest going out at 3:40 pace, maybe even 3:45, and aim to finish strong with a massive smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Finally know whats up with me, I think what annoyed me the most was knowing something was wrong but not knowing what was wrong.

FUMING I didnt go to Aidan earlier, absolutely smashing physio. No messing about and straight to the point. I was skeptical about a half hour appointment but now I understand why. Highly recommended.

So long story short ive an inflamed IT band, IT band syndrome essentially. I definitely regret not including more core work to help strengthen the glutes etc. which could have helped prevent this from happening, but its all a learning curve eh?

He explained that he cant say whether or not itll pop up in the marathon, I told him I still wanna go ahead with doing it and he said that if it does pop up then to walk the rest basically. I said ill just have to forget about my goal time and his reply was "if its your first marathon you shouldnt have a goal time" I thought jesus he must be posting on here is he? :D

Im still going ahead with it, just a lot more stretching and foam rolling, I think i neglected the importance of these two big time. If anyones looking for a decent physio to clear up those final niggles, I honestly cant reccomend Aidan Woods enough. Roll on this taper! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jeez, rollercoaster of pages going as of late, from bbm having to stop, to the comedy of recent pages (plus my Googling wtf is neck balm). Great thread.

You know you’re training for a marathon when…

You keep a copy of the plan in your diary and on a wall somewhere. You check it before work, to remember what day you're on.
    You obsessively prepare your clothing, porridge, watch, water, gels and bars ahead of time.
    You do your weekend runs early and the urge to nap lurks, but you ignore this. At some point, your body goes - thought you'd get away with this, eh?
    You start thinking, hmm, where did that Summer go?!
    You’re at a family event and the plan is lurking at the back of your mind.
    You’re at a long, long, long meeting (:mad:) and start worrying it’ll never finish, hindering your run.
    You run your longest mileage week, by 11am the next day in work...your mind is conked. You're short on conversation at lunch because you're still knackered.
    You check the thread to see what your mentor is on about now. :pac:
    You glare at your watch when it won’t sync correctly.
    You meet strangers from the internet. :eek:
    You forget half the TV shows you're supposed to be watching. Internetting about running is more important.
    You pass other runners and wonder if you’ll see them in a few weeks.
    You print your acceptance slip, lose it, find it again, lose/find repeat.
    You have a crap day that messes with your head/body, but get support from here.
    It's September and you start thinking about what alarm you’ll need to set in for DCM... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Jeez, rollercoaster of pages going as of late, from bbm having to stop, to the comedy of recent pages (plus my Googling wtf is neck balm). Great thread.

You know you’re training for a marathon when…

You keep a copy of the plan in your diary and on a wall somewhere. You check it before work, to remember what day you're on.
    You obsessively prepare your clothing, porridge, watch, water, gels and bars ahead of time.
    You do your weekend runs early and the urge to nap lurks, but you ignore this. At some point, your body goes - thought you'd get away with this, eh?
    You start thinking, hmm, where did that Summer go?!
    You’re at a family event and the plan is lurking at the back of your mind.
    You’re at a long, long, long meeting (:mad:) and start worrying it’ll never finish, hindering your run.
    You run your longest mileage week, by 11am the next day in work...your mind is conked. You're short on conversation at lunch because you're still knackered.
    You check the thread to see what your mentor is on about now. :pac:
    You glare at your watch when it won’t sync correctly.
    You meet strangers from the internet. :eek:
    You forget half the TV shows you're supposed to be watching. Internetting about running is more important.
    You pass other runners and wonder if you’ll see them in a few weeks.
    You print your acceptance slip, lose it, find it again, lose/find repeat.
    You have a crap day that messes with your head/body, but get support from here.
    It's September and you start thinking about what alarm you’ll need to set in for DCM... :o

What about...You plan how to tell your baby sister that her big 40th birthday party is the night before the marathon so you'll have to give it a miss :eek:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Finally know whats up with me, I think what annoyed me the most was knowing something was wrong but not knowing what was wrong.

FUMING I didnt go to Aidan earlier, absolutely smashing physio. No messing about and straight to the point. I was skeptical about a half hour appointment but now I understand why. Highly recommended.

So long story short ive an inflamed IT band, IT band syndrome essentially. I definitely regret not including more core work to help strengthen the glutes etc. which could have helped prevent this from happening, but its all a learning curve eh?

He explained that he cant say whether or not itll pop up in the marathon, I told him I still wanna go ahead with doing it and he said that if it does pop up then to walk the rest basically. I said ill just have to forget about my goal time and his reply was "if its your first marathon you shouldnt have a goal time" I thought jesus he must be posting on here is he? :D

Im still going ahead with it, just a lot more stretching and foam rolling, I think i neglected the importance of these two big time. If anyones looking for a decent physio to clear up those final niggles, I honestly cant reccomend Aidan Woods enough. Roll on this taper! :D

Ah Damo that's as good news as you could have hoped for. What plan has he for you to return to running?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What about...You plan how to tell your baby sister that her big 40th birthday party is the night before the marathon so you'll have to give it a miss :eek:

You swap your high heels for flat shoes just in case they would cause an injury.

You discuss sport bras with complete strangers on the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I went to Aiden as well this evening, he's brilliant. He diagnosed my problem within 2 minutes- a grade 2 calf tear. It's 50/50 whether I'll make the start line. He told me to avoid running, go on the bike until it's not painful to walk, then when it's ok. to walk, I have to stick to the running plan but walk for the length I'd normally run. He'll see me again next week.

Glad I know what's wrong but sickened. No one to blame but myself. Gonna stick to his plan religiously, complete all the exercises and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

leesider77 wrote: »
    You swap your high heels for flat shoes just in case they would cause an injury.

You discuss sport bras with complete strangers on the internet....

You look at Flybys on Strava to see how many more Boardsies were nearby as you ran.....when 3 months ago Strava was something for weirdos cyclists and runners :D

He said not to change my plan at this stage as it's already gone into the taper. Gonna keep them very slow to stop aggrevating it and hope I get to the line in one piece. Probably the best outcome I could have wanted S, your right!

He said not to change my plan at this stage as it's already gone into the taper. Gonna keep them very slow to stop aggrevating it and hope I get to the line in one piece. Probably the best outcome I could have wanted S, your right!

Ah well you might have wanted better but considering the problems you had it could have been worse. Keep it sensible and hopefully you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Glad you have answers at least now. Fingers crossed you get through without it popping on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Baby75 wrote: »

I was worried at this point, I was afraid it would go and I would not be able to finish it was at this point the 4hr 30 paces passed us and I say we had about less than half the distance left to do, I realised I had ran too fast at the start and was feeling it, really hit a wall at around 6km left to go! once I got through that I kept going and was even able to speed up at the finish.

My confidence is knocked though how I felt for the last 12 km of today's LSR keeps playing on my mind, knowing on marathon day I have that again ec
    extra to run not sure if I could.

I am worried I have not done enough or my LSR maybe should have been longer, I have totally changed my time goal to 5hrs or more or to just finish now

well done to everyone I hope all niggles go quickly and we are all in flying form come DCM

Sorry for the essay

Nice to meet you and your OH yesterday, N.

Don't forget... this was your first ever 20 mile run, of course it was going to be hard.... but you finished it, so you should give yourself credit and take confidence from that!

And important lesson learned about starting out too fast!!

annapr wrote: »
    Nice to meet you and your OH yesterday, N.

Don't forget... this was your first ever 20 mile run, of course it was going to be hard.... but you finished it, so you should give yourself credit and take confidence from that!

And important lesson learned about starting out too fast!!

Lovely chatting to you as well I was delighted you said hello and so did Ann she was doing well getting her pacing right for DCM

You are right I learnt so much yesterday and so
    Glad it was a training run and not the day it's self

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

leesider77 wrote: »

LOL I was just thinking that today, I now find it acceptable to wear runners with everything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

LOL I was just thinking that today, I now find it acceptable to wear runners with everything!!

Haha, yeah, I'm like a proper townie now wearing trackies and old runners all weekend and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Glad you now know whats wrong Damo and getting to the starting line is still on the cards!

Same here LOL I even stopped wearing my flat ankle boots its runners all the way :D

Damo delighted to hear it is not awful news and your still in the running for DCM all going well :)

statina best of luck getting that calf right for DCM I hope it all goes well

I have an appointment for Thursday evening no running till then :( swelling and more bruising on the outside of my ankle this evening, I am not in pain though, a tiny bit yes but niggly more than anything else, I hope it is just a strain and not a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi everyone! I'm dipping in and out of this thread lately, winter has hit and work is busy busy so I'm not getting running as much as I want :(

Phew what a whirlwind of posts lately! Ariana, damo, kellygirl, leesider positron, baby75, andy31, statina and everyone having niggles etc - hang in there!!!! Sending positive vibes your way :)

I managed to squeeze in a long run last week and a short one, had planned on 14mi LSR but ended up doing 18mi! I am delighted and it's really boosted my confidence. I'm going to try do 20 tomorrow and then taper

I'm not going to get out 4 times per week over the next few weeks, I am not going to beat myself up over it. I've worked hard so hopefully will get there in the end.

statina wrote: »
    I went to Aiden as well this evening, he's brilliant. He diagnosed my problem within 2 minutes- a grade 2 calf tear. It's 50/50 whether I'll make the start line. He told me to avoid running, go on the bike until it's not painful to walk, then when it's ok. to walk, I have to stick to the running plan but walk for the length I'd normally run. He'll see me again next week.

Glad I know what's wrong but sickened. No one to blame but myself. Gonna stick to his plan religiously, complete all the exercises and hope for the best.

He really is brilliant, delighted I went to him and actually got told what was wrong instead of being told nothings wrong by someone else again. I really hope u get sorted in the meantime, as everyones said the hard work is over so fingers crossed u can get to the start line!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

drkpower wrote: »

You are being very sensible...I am trying to weigh up being sensible or push for a faster time! One day I think 3.30 is possible and the next I think no way! As it is a first marathon it is the unknown after mile 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

peterc14 wrote: »
    You are being very sensible...I am trying to weigh up being sensible or push for a faster time! One day I think 3.30 is possible and the next I think no way! As it is a first marathon it is the unknown after mile 20!

one day its possible alright, but i'm thinking that day is DCM 2018....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great news Damo fingers crossed now for you, me and all the injured runners.

Sillymoo that's a brilliant LSR well done :)

Just wondering regarding cross training (assuming i get the go-ahead to use a bike) would i just replace say a 5m easy run with a 1hr steady state on the bike? I'll be using it indoors on the turbo so no hills or wind etc to add any degree of difficulty. I could try to get outdoors for a longer cycle at the weekend to replace the LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    Just wondering regarding cross training (assuming i get the go-ahead to use a bike) would i just replace say a 5m easy run with a 1hr steady state on the bike? I'll be using it indoors on the turbo so no hills or wind etc to add any degree of difficulty. I could try to get outdoors for a longer cycle at the weekend to replace the LSR.

Typically, its a general rule of thumb that it takes 3m of cycling to equate to 1m of running - so a 1:3 ratio.

However - I pulled this from an article from McMillan - it might help you.

This brings up an important concept – how to equate cross training miles to running miles. While there are some really scientific ways to estimate energy expenditure for different activities, I feel the easiest method is simply is to count your time cross training as the same as time running. So, if you do an easy hour of cross training on the elliptical machine, count it the same as an hour of easy running. Is it the same? Of course not but the point is that your body is getting the additional work you want and there is no need splitting hairs. Just get in the extra exercise and call it good.

Typically, its a general rule of thumb that it takes 3m of cycling to equate to 1m of running - so a 1:3 ratio.

However - I pulled this from an article from McMillan - it might help you.

This brings up an important concept – how to equate cross training miles to running miles. While there are some really scientific ways to estimate energy expenditure for different activities, I feel the easiest method is simply is to count your time cross training as the same as time running. So, if you do an easy hour of cross training on the elliptical machine, count it the same as an hour of easy running. Is it the same? Of course not but the point is that your body is getting the additional work you want and there is no need splitting hairs. Just get in the extra exercise and call it good.

Thanks that is exactly what i was looking for. To be honest 1:3 would probably give me a similar result as equating time. I'll do 1 hr for the 5m Easy runs and i'll try to do a 2hr bike ride outdoors at the weekend. Of course this is all assuming i get the go ahead tomorrow, fingers crossed cos i am already cracking up! I briefly logged into Strava last night and it just made me panic (when i stopped crying :o) to see all the runs everyone is clocking up :eek:

I was in a Pharmacy at lunchtime and i got chatting to a really lovely staff member and a runner in her 60s training for her 6th Dublin Marathon. Anyhow, she highly recommended a supplement - ZinCuFlex. I just wonder if anyone has tried it? She said to take it for the next few days to help with my knee and then when i'm better to stop taking it again, so it's not a continuous thing. I bought it anyhow, i'll try anything to help at this stage :o

She also advised to eat well and sleep loads for the next 19 (yes 19 :eek:) days! Something we all know to do but it's good to be reminded ;)

She said you may not sleep well the night before or even 2 nights before with nerves but if you've 'minded' yourself for 2-3 weeks before then it won't matter so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

hmm not sure about that tbh. we cant give medial advise on boards, but no supplement will fix what you have.

Knee issues are generally IT Band related and if your physio says its down to weak glutes thats 100% what you have, same as me. Your much better doing your RICE routine and the necessary exercises for the TFL / IT Band

Advertisement