Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ariana` wrote: »
    I was in a Pharmacy at lunchtime and i got chatting to a really lovely staff member and a runner in her 60s training for her 6th Dublin Marathon. Anyhow, she highly recommended a supplement - ZinCuFlex. I just wonder if anyone has tried it? She said to take it for the next few days to help with my knee and then when i'm better to stop taking it again, so it's not a continuous thing. I bought it anyhow, i'll try anything to help at this stage :o

She also advised to eat well and sleep loads for the next 19 (yes 19 :eek:) days! Something we all know to do but it's good to be reminded ;)

She said you may not sleep well the night before or even 2 nights before with nerves but if you've 'minded' yourself for 2-3 weeks before then it won't matter so much :)

Even if they do help, joints respond very slowly to supplements. We're talking months here. Taking supplements now will make exactly 0 difference to how your knees will feel on marathon day.

I'd skip the pills but take the other part of her advice. Sleep well, eat well, drink well (that's water, not booze!)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Lots of great advice again from more experienced people,. Great to see.

Fingers crossed for you Ariana anyway that you get the go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

D3PO wrote: »
    hmm not sure about that tbh. we cant give medial advise on boards, but no supplement will fix what you have.

Knee issues are generally IT Band related and if your physio says its down to weak glutes thats 100% what you have, same as me. Your much better doing your RICE routine and the necessary exercises for the TFL / IT Band

I'm not looking for medical advise. And of course i'm doing all my activation exercises and RICE (including 2 cryotherapy ice baths at the weekend :eek:) and gentle foam rolling etc etc etc I just wondered if anybody had taken them before that's all, I was looking for experiences of them such as "they made me nauseous" and that kind of thing :)

Even if they do help, joints respond very slowly to supplements. We're talking months here. Taking supplements now will make exactly 0 difference to how your knees will feel on marathon day.

I'd skip the pills but take the other part of her advice. Sleep well, eat well, drink well (that's water, not booze!)

Darn and here i am tearing into a bottle of vino with my lunch :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Welcome Thomas - we're privileged to have someone of your caliber looking in on us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just playing with this link that I think Ariana posted? Creates pacebands specifically for the particular marathon you are doing and you can choose whether you want even splits, negative splits, elevation included etc. It’s pretty cool. Def worth looking at I think. Just wondering what some of the more experienced runners think of it?

http://findmymarathon.com/pacebandresult.php?race=Dublin%20Marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just playing with this link that I think Ariana posted? Creates pacebands specifically for the particular marathon you are doing and you can choose whether you want even splits, negative splits, elevation included etc. It’s pretty cool. Def worth looking at I think. Just wondering what some of the more experienced runners think of it?

I seen a few with them at the 3/4 marathon or similar to them, Asics do a free one as well I have to look up the link again

Baby75 wrote: »
    I seen a few with them at the 3/4 marathon or similar to them, Asics do a free one as well I have to look up the link again

This is actually based on the course and slows down going up hills etc which is pretty good. It shows you the pace band as you change finishing times or whether you want a conservative or very conservative start. Technically you could find a way to print it off yourself.

I presum the ASICS one is even splits? Must look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Dcm pacers are wearing these bad boys...
    https://www.compressionprint.com

This is actually based on the course and slows down going up hills etc which is pretty good. It shows you the pace band as you change finishing times or whether you want a conservative or very conservative start. Technically you could find a way to print it off yourself.

I presum the ASICS one is even splits? Must look at that.

It looks good and you can pick a conservative start which I will be taking for sure

Here is the Asics one, https://paceyourrace.asics.com/pace/66

• Advertisement

OOOH they look great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

They are unreal!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    They are unreal!!

We should all get headbands with a slogan on them for DCM :D;) so we can spot each other on the day LOL just an idea

They are very cool. I’m thinking if they are going even splits though that it might be no harm having the splits that other site are giving so I know what I need to do to catch up with them if I decide to start more conservatively. I really want to take it easy for the first 7 miles.
    It looks good and you can pick a conservative start which I will be taking for sure

Here is the Asics one, https://paceyourrace.asics.com/pace/66

Thanks - was just looking for that!

We should all get headbands with a slogan on them for DCM :D;) so we can spot each other on the day LOL just an idea

Or all wear the same tops! :D

Or all wear the same tops! :D

I love that either, but I'm wearing one from my local club for charity the Irish wheelchair association
    a group is cycling up from Carlow running the marathon and then cycling home my hubby is one of them :eek:

I was thinking of cycling back with them, but have come to my senses :D

I love that either, but I'm wearing one from my local club for charity the Irish wheelchair association
    a group is cycling up from Carlow running the marathon and then cycling home my hubby is one of them :eek:

I was thinking of cycling back with them, but have come to my senses :D

:eek::eek:

Wow! Come for a drink or ten with us instead!!

:eek::eek:

Wow! Come for a drink or ten with us instead!!

That is way more appealing LOL

They are very cool. I’m thinking if they are going even splits though that it might be no harm having the splits that other site are giving so I know what I need to do to catch up with them if I decide to start more conservatively. I really want to take it easy for the first 7 miles.

KG I liked the idea of that pace band that I shared in principle but I think in practise it might be hard work to keep track of the constant changes of pace especially on your own. I think I'd be driven mad by it. Before I got injured I had more or less decided to start with the 4:30 pacers and stick with them til 15m/24 km and then gear up to a pace about 10 seconds faster til around 22m/35km (over 'heart break hill') and then let loose (if possible) for the last 4.xm/7.x km. I had thought maybe with this strategy I could being it in around 4:24. If I get to run I will still use this strategy but add on 20/30 mins so start with maybe the 4:40/4:50 pacers and work from there with the same small gear changes.

Well need a code word as well ;)

• Advertisement

KG I liked the idea of that pace band that I shared in principle but I think in practise it might be hard work to keep track of the constant changes of pace especially on your own. I think I'd be driven mad by it. Before I got injured I had more or less decided to start with the 4:30 pacers and stick with them til 15m/24 km and then gear up to a pace about 10 seconds faster til around km 35 (over 'heart break hill') and then let loose (if possible) for the last 7.x km. I had thought maybe with this strategy I could being it in around 4:24. If I get to run I will still use this strategy but add on 20/30 mins so start with maybe the 4:40/4:50 pacers and work from there with the same small gear changes.

I wore a paceband with even splits last Saturday for the first 22kms. I ran the first 9/10 slower and was just calculating where I was at each km. I was 1minute 50 seconds behind at about 10km and then picked it up and at 20km was only 3 seconds behind. I def found it useful knowing where I needed to be etc and the even splits didn’t bother me even though I wasn’t sticking to them for the first while. It kept me focused too.

Agree with you on the changing pace but then the fact you have the overall time of where you need to be at each km helps that.

Might work if two or more of us wanted to do the exact same time and did it together.

Hopefully your injury will get better and allow you to do what you want on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Has anyone ever used one of the altitude chambers/rooms that some of the gyms have now.

Well need a code word as well ;)

Should we all just shout ‘Wubble Wubble’ every five mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used one of the altitude chambers/rooms that some of the gyms have now.

Ooh who's pulling out all the stops!! :eek:

I wore a paceband with even splits last Saturday for the first 22kms. I ran the first 9/10 slower and was just calculating where I was at each km. I was 1minute 50 seconds behind at about 10km and then picked it up and at 20km was only 3 seconds behind. I def found it useful knowing where I needed to be etc and the even splits didn’t bother me even though I wasn’t sticking to them for the first while. It kept me focused too.

Agree with you on the changing pace but then the fact you have the overall time of where you need to be at each km helps that.

Might work if two or more of us wanted to do the exact same time and did it together.

Hopefully your injury will get better and allow you to do what you want on the day!

I think it would definitely help having 2 (or more) people working together. I find the brain slows down in the depths of long runs. I wore an even splits pace band for a half last yr and I found it brilliant. It was a very flat course though but it kept me on track and I came in bang on the money, I printed it for 2:10 (from the Asics site) and finished in 2:09:25 so I was thrilled.

Even if I'm able to run I've already been told I will need to rethink my time goals as pace rather than time will cause it to happen again. I seriously hope i can at best go 4:50, maybe 4:40 at a push but I'll take the physios advice on it. In a weird way it's a pressure lifted and has forced me to reevaluate my goals for the better. I just hope I can line up (that's the A goal now) or I'll be gutted :(

Oh lol could you imagine!!!!

I think it would definitely help having 2 (or more) people working together. I find the brain slows down in the depths of long runs. I wore an even splits pace band for a half last yr and I found it brilliant. It was a very flat course though but it kept me on track and I came in bang on the money, I printed it for 2:10 (from the Asics site) and finished in 2:09:25 so I was thrilled.

Even if I'm able to run I've already been told I will need to rethink my time goals as pace rather than time will cause it to happen again. I seriously hope i can at best go 4:50, maybe 4:40 at a push but I'll take the physios advice on it. In a weird way it's a pressure lifted and has forced me to reevaluate my goals for the better. I just hope I can line up (that's the A goal now) or I'll be gutted :(

I can imagine. I was gutted at the weekend when things weren’t looking so good here. Think positive for now. Prob best to start at 4:50 and be conservative. Your goal is to finish and you can use it as a learning experience and do another marathon in the future.

Playing with that band i’m thinking of going with a 4:25 time and starting out with the 4:30 pacers - basically using the strategy you mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Haha... not a bad idea, it might clear a bit of space around the pacers for us!!

I can imagine. I was gutted at the weekend when things weren’t looking so good here. Think positive for now. Prob best to start at 4:50 and be conservative. Your goal is to finish and you can use it as a learning experience and do another marathon in the future.

Playing with that band i’m thinking of going with a 4:25 time and starting out with the 4:30 pacers - basically using the strategy you mentioned earlier.

Sounds like a wise plan for you. I have a good feeling for you, I think u may surprise yourself ;)

Yes I want to finish it andI want to run the majority of it at whatever pace I need to to make that a strong possibility. I swore this would be a one time event but now I'm not so sure, I've a feeling I will have unfinished business ;)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a wise plan for you. I have a good feeling for you, I think u may surprise yourself ;)

Yes I want to finish it andI want to run the majority of it at whatever pace I need to to make that a strong possibility. I swore this would be a one time event but now I'm not so sure, I've a feeling I will have unfinished business ;)

I was injured doing Cork and literally limped from the start line. DCM is to improve on everything that went wrong for Cork. I’m going back to HMs after this but def glad i’m getting the chance to do a full marathon injury free. You’ll have to do another I think.

Advertisement