Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll put this up here and refresh it from time to time over the next 10 days. 2/3 of us are hoping to meet on Saturday week, the 21st, in the Park for a leisurely 8m shuffle. Pace will be very gentle but if a few come there can always be different paces. It'd be nice to drop into the Tea Room for a coffee too. A last chance to put faces to names before the big day. No time set so open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll put this up here and refresh it from time to time over the next 10 days. 2/3 of us are hoping to meet on Saturday week, the 21st, in the Park for a leisurely 8m shuffle. Pace will be very gentle but if a few come there can always be different paces. It'd be nice to drop into the Tea Room for a coffee too. A last chance to put faces to names before the big day. No time set so open to suggestions.

Baring any family emergencies I'll be there - happy to amble around the park with anyone who wants a slow pace. Or will just meet you speed demons for the coffee afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Baring any family emergencies I'll be there - happy to amble around the park with anyone who wants a slow pace. Or will just meet you speed demons for the coffee afterwards.

I'll stick with you so for the slower pace I should be able to make it

Update on my ankle swelling has gone down and bruising is fading no restriction or pain at all so keeping positive I'll see what physio thinks on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Should we all just shout ‘Wubble Wubble’ every five mins?

ROFL :D

I was thinking of writing my boards username on the race number. And perhaps a small sticker in the back as well, so if any of you run close enough to read it, you could perhaps give me a nod... or a little push perhaps... a little push goes a long way in a marathon.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Baby75 wrote: »

Update on my ankle swelling has gone down and bruising is fading no restriction or pain at all so keeping positive I'll see what physio thinks on Thursday

Great news baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Would be great if loads could make the 21st, will be difficult to meet up on the day. Enjoyed last Sat so much.

C'mon folks, do your best to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s brilliant. You must be so relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Lazare wrote: »
    Would be great if loads could make the 21st, will be difficult to meet up on the day. Enjoyed last Sat so much.

C'mon folks, do your best to make it.

I'll make it. Gutted I missed last week. A few us all have similar goals so be great to meet beforehand and even on race day (if possible) to help drive us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Kellygirl wrote:
    Just playing with this link that I think Ariana posted? Creates pacebands specifically for the particular marathon you are doing and you can choose whether you want even splits, negative splits, elevation included etc. It’s pretty cool. Def worth looking at I think. Just wondering what some of the more experienced runners think of it?

I can't vouch for this one, but I used a similar one last year which adjusted paces for hills etc., negative or positive splits, fast or slow start. It worked really well for me and I'll be using it again this year. I'll post a link tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'll meet for a cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Not been on the thread much the last couple of days but thankfully it looks like there is some positive news on the injury front.

Hopefully Taper madness has not kicked in just yet! Over the next week to 10 days as the legs recover from all the training runs you will slowy be getting back to doing your runs on recovered legs.....this will be a different feeling from the last couple of months. Eat;sleep and hydrate well over this period.

Now is also the time to be thinking about goals for the day....there have been plenty of great posts recently about pacing etc. Last year I went our with an A;B;C goal....it is also a good time to reflect on your first post on the thread and see how far you have all come along since then.

Last year we also had a predicted time table on the thread.....maybe someone with more boards nous than me could set one up if you would like that.

You should all have your gear sorted for the day....have any of you thought about getting your names printed on your running tops? I had mine on my number last year and enjoyed the shout outs from the crowds!.

Keep me posted on the meet up and if there is space for one of Wubbles support crew I will try and get a long for at least some part of the run or the coffee and cake afterwards!

Keep up the positivity for the next couple of weeks you have the hard work done....visualise yourself crossing that finish line and how good you will feel about yourselves!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used one of the altitude chambers/rooms that some of the gyms have now.

I'm now in the Italian alps, some of us take this stuff very seriously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

muddypaws wrote: »

haha well for some!!! I'm doing a session in that new Juntion 6 place tonight with a few friends. Not too sure whats involved - treadmills, bikes, etc. Just heading more out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Has anyone got any advice on when to get a final sports massage? Should we be booking in for next week or the week before marathon?

Baby75 glad your ankle is feeling better!
    Good luck today Ariana, hope you get some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Has anyone got any advice on when to get a final sports massage? Should we be booking in for next week or the week before marathon?

My physio said the Thursday before at the latest. Wednesday or Thurs.

I'm booked in for next Wednesday for a physio session. Couple of niggles so I wanted the week and a half before as I'm often quite tender after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This thread's gone into overdrive the last few days, nearly impossible to keep up to date with everything, from cryotherapy to chafing issues and the Italian Alps :D

Thankfully we haven't lost any more yet :) and fingers crossed for continuing improvements on the physio front.
    Should we all just shout ‘Wubble Wubble’ every five mins?

I think this is an example of the taper madness setting in :pac:
    On more than one occasion, I've got shouts of "COME ON WUBBLE WUBBLE!!!" in mid race. That's exactly as I've typed it btw :D quite a few of the DCM pacers are Boardsies too.

21st seems like a popular option for another meet up? Not sure yet if I'll get there myself - maybe just to greet you all before you set off.

muddypaws wrote: »

have fun :)

Thanks all :) I am so relieved it has improved so much so quickly. I have itchy feet to get out running again I really miss it. I am still going to physio to find out what caused it and how to prevent it again, feeling that tightness in my lower calf really affected me on Sunday, I do not want to have that worry for DCM or run and have something happen and be out for months recovering afterwards.

We will deffo make it the 21st looking forward to it

Heading to Physio shortly. Just did 15 mins on the turbo to see how it would feel. Knee was fine so that's good. Hopefully I'll get the go ahead to do a proper session on it later on. Generally it's feeling ok today, still a bit of a niggle but I'm walking freely. Trying to stay positive but starting to think I've niggles everywhere. Even my arms are sore today, like seriously wtf :(

have fun :)

Thanks all :) I am so relieved it has improved so much so quickly. I have itchy feet to get out running again I really miss it. I am still going to physio to find out what caused it and how to prevent it again, feeling that tightness in my lower calf really affected me on Sunday, I do not want to have that worry for DCM or run and have something happen and be out for months recovering afterwards.

We will deffo make it the 21st looking forward to it

Yes I empathise with the itchy feet! My anxiety is bad again too, I was a mess last night and this morning trying to do simple tasks. Running regularly is the only medicine that really works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ariana I'm the exact same. IT Band is still stupidly tight after yesterday's run it's starting to feel like I'll blow up within 3m on the day. Also feels like I've niggles coming up everywhere! Has anyone experienced dry needling? Really interested in it tbh, from reading online it seems like itd really help. I've been in contact with someone from last years thread and they said they had the exact same problem as me and dry needling helped immensely.

Best of luck Ariana

Damo, when I was in Pearse street physio for my knee during the summer, the physio used some dry needling a few times. Don;t know how much affect that particular part of the treatment had - I just know the overall treatment and plan worked well for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck A hopefully get some good news!

ariana` wrote: »
    Heading to Physio shortly. Just did 15 mins on the turbo to see how it would feel. Knee was fine so that's good. Hopefully I'll get the go ahead to do a proper session on it later on. Generally it's feeling ok today, still a bit of a niggle but I'm walking freely. Trying to stay positive but starting to think I've niggles everywhere. Even my arms are sore today, like seriously wtf :(

Yes I empathise with the itchy feet! My anxiety is bad again too, I was a mess last night and this morning trying to do simple tasks. Running regularly is the only medicine that really works.

I understand completely running is so good for the mind as well as the body good luck at physio

I'm another one feeling niggles I think it has to be power for the course as they say, body is tired and with taper we will come back rested and strong

Really really tough physio session but good. He did some dry needling as well. My leg feels dead after it.

I'm back to him again on Fri but for now the running plan is Saturday- 3m, Monday- 5m & Wednesday- 8m. If all that goes ok then I can fall back in with the plan for the last 1.5 weeks. Fingers crossed.

And in the meantime I can cycle or use the elliptical between runs.

For the day itself he recommended adding 10-15 mins to my target time so I had been thinking 4.20-4.30 so I guess now I'll be targeting 4.40 all going well assuming I make it.

Feeling relieved and a bit more confident :)

Really really tough physio session but good. He did some dry needling as well. My leg feels dead after it.

I'm back to him again on Fri but for now the running plan is Saturday- 3m, Monday- 5m & Wednesday- 8m. If all that goes ok then I can fall back in with the plan for the last 1.5 weeks. Fingers crossed.

And in the meantime I can cycle or use the elliptical between runs.

For the day itself he recommended adding 10-15 mins to my target time so I had been thinking 4.20-4.30 so I guess now I'll be targeting 4.40 all going well assuming I make it.

Feeling relieved and a bit more confident :)

Excellent news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Was looking at pace bands there and looking to have a combination of miles and kms on one, doesn't seem possible.

Paces in km and splits in miles. I want to use the mile markers as references but keep my watch in metric.

This possible?

Great stuff Ariana.

Not seen anything like that Lazare

I can't vouch for this one, but I used a similar one last year which adjusted paces for hills etc., negative or positive splits, fast or slow start. It worked really well for me and I'll be using it again this year. I'll post a link tomorrow.

Thanks HBScones. That would be great if you could share.
    Lazare wrote: »
    Was looking at pace bands there and looking to have a combination of miles and kms on one, doesn't seem possible.

Paces in km and splits in miles. I want to use the mile markers as references but keep my watch in metric.

This possible?

I haven’t seen anything Lazare though was checking out a few sites last night and you could make your own based on the info from a couple of them maybe? This one maybe? http://mymarathonpace.com/Pacing_Spreadsheets.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Thanks HBScones. That would be great if you could share.

I haven’t seen anything Lazare though was checking out a few sites last night and you could make your own based on the info from a couple of them maybe? This one maybe? http://mymarathonpace.com/Pacing_Spreadsheets.html

It's the one you just linked Kellygirl - mymarathonpace.com. Last year I wore one with miles splits and also wore the 5k splits.

Advertisement