Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks HBScones. That would be great if you could share.

I haven’t seen anything Lazare though was checking out a few sites last night and you could make your own based on the info from a couple of them maybe? This one maybe? http://mymarathonpace.com/Pacing_Spreadsheets.html
    Excellent thanks, that's what I'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It's the one you just linked Kellygirl - mymarathonpace.com. Last year I wore one with miles splits and also wore the 5k splits.

Love it - just answered my own question so :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. It looked good so glad you are endorsing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Love it - just answered my own question so :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. It looked good so glad you are endorsing it!

I found the best part of was that when I looked at the splits, if the next mile was slower than MP then I knew that a drag/hill was coming up and could get my head right for it. I pretty much stuck to the splits on the pace band (well more or less) and came in within 20 seconds of my goal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Went for a run today. Mid way through my right shoe lace broke (pretty much in half). A bit of a pain trying to finish out the run with a loose runner hanging off my right foot but I was glad the lace broke today and not on race day.

Another potential hazard to add to the list! Check those laces folks ;)

I found the best part of was that when I looked at the splits, if the next mile was slower than MP then I knew that a drag/hill was coming up and could get my head right for it. I pretty much stuck to the splits on the pace band (well more or less) and came in within 20 seconds of my goal time.

I like that idea. I take it you didn't go with pacers so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I like that idea. I take it you didn't go with pacers so?

No. I was tempted to go for 3:20, but knew that it was just beyond my reach. i set up the pace band for 3:22 and ran it in 3:21:45. I ran a few of the downhills a bit faster than planned, and faded a bit over the last 2 miles, but it all worked out in the end. I've gone with pace groups before and I've decided I didn't like running in a big crowd. I prefer to pick my own line to run as much as possible. I also tend to feel a bit crowded in a pace group and then I go ahead of them too early to find myself a bit of space to run in. If I was going to go with a pace group now I'd start a bit behind them and find myself a bit of space to run in, while trying to just keep the balloons/flag in sight.

No. I was tempted to go for 3:20, but knew that it was just beyond my reach. i set up the pace band for 3:22 and ran it in 3:21:45. I ran a few of the downhills a bit faster than planned, and faded a bit over the last 2 miles, but it all worked out in the end. I've gone with pace groups before and I've decided I didn't like running in a big crowd. I prefer to pick my own line to run as much as possible. I also tend to feel a bit crowded in a pace group and then I go ahead of them too early to find myself a bit of space to run in. If I was going to go with a pace group now I'd start a bit behind them and find myself a bit of space to run in, while trying to just keep the balloons/flag in sight.

Toying with that idea actually of starting behind the 4:30 group though i’m Wondering how congested it’s then going to be. No harm for the first 7 miles when I want to extra conservative but after that. I reckon i’ll be probably aiming at coming in at 4:25. When I played with the pace bands last night all those paces are comfortable for me. 4:20 might be too much of a stretch though starting in Wave 4 so could start as close to the front as possible but don’t want to get carried along by a gang going hell for leather either at the start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I got my current shoes in June. By look and feel alone I think I may need new ones, though the mileage on them might say different (I currently have nearly 700km on them with another 60-70km before race day and 42 on race day bringing the total to over 800km.)

Should I get the exact same pair? I know the make and model. Any good place to buy online, cheaply (or at least cheaper than a shop), that will also deliver relatively quickly so I can get a start on breaking them in before The Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    I got my current shoes in June. By look and feel alone I think I may need new ones, though the mileage on them might say different (I currently have nearly 700km on them with another 60-70km before race day and 42 on race day bringing the total to over 800km.)

Should I get the exact same pair? I know the make and model. Any good place to buy online, cheaply (or at least cheaper than a shop), that will also deliver relatively quickly so I can get a start on breaking them in before The Day?

If I remember correctly AMK suggested shoes ideally should have 50-100 miles use by the day. Buying online would make it a bit tight. I've gotten 2 pairs from sportsshoes.com. They deliver in a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah. They'd been looking a bit worse for wear the last couple of weeks, but it was really only today that I started to feel it too and I thought I'd better get some new ones quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Booked another appointment with the physio for next week and im hoping that some dry needling will be tried.

When running the pain is flaring up about 2-3 miles in, no way could I run another 23-24 on the day in that pain. Think ill head for a swim tomorrow instead of the 4miles thats due.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Booked another appointment with the physio for next week and im hoping that some dry needling will be tried.

When running the pain is flaring up about 2-3 miles in, no way could I run another 23-24 on the day in that pain. Think ill head for a swim tomorrow instead of the 4miles thats due.

Hi Damo, I found acupuncture great for pain management before Cork. The lady I went to does a few different Chinese medicine techniques besides acupuncture and all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Have gotten a couple of pairs from startfitness.co.uk

Usually decent prices and quick delivery

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah. They'd been looking a bit worse for wear the last couple of weeks, but it was really only today that I started to feel it too and I thought I'd better get some new ones quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I just went on the turbo.... jeepers give me running any day, I have no love for the bike, my bits are in bits :(

I'd try the dry needling, you've nothing to lose at this stage. Hope it works out for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Keeping everything crossed for good news Damo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    I just went on the turbo.... jeepers give me running any day, I have no love for the bike, my bits are in bits :(

I'd try the dry needling, you've nothing to lose at this stage. Hope it works out for you x

go get some cycling shorts you can get a pair in Halfords for 12 euro and vaseline or any other anti chafing cream I got a gel seat pad for my saddle that helps a lot

if it is any consolation that discomfort goes quickly :)

I got out for spinning and enjoyed it no problem with legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi guys checking in here again, did my last LSR yesterday and unfortunately I learned a hard lesson in pacing. I ran the first 10mi too fast and only realised why, when I turned around there was a really stiff headwind and I struggled +++ :o managed 18mi out of 20mi and didn't have the heart to do the last 2 miles. Just hopped into my car and headed home and into the bath :D

So my longest run going into DCM will be 18mi. Lesson learned??? Don't go out too fast and be mindful of the wind!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

sillymoo wrote: »
    Hi guys checking in here again, did my last LSR yesterday and unfortunately I learned a hard lesson in pacing. I ran the first 10mi too fast and only realised why, when I turned around there was a really stiff headwind and I struggled +++ :o managed 18mi out of 20mi and didn't have the heart to do the last 2 miles. Just hopped into my car and headed home and into the bath :D

So my longest run going into DCM will be 18mi. Lesson learned??? Don't go out too fast and be mindful of the wind!!!!

Don't let it worry you, 18 miles is still a great distance to have under your belt.

If the effort felt easy for the first 10 miles then that's ok. Running by effort you would expect to be faster. On the flip side, you should have been slower running into the wind as your LSR should be about effort, not pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I have been fascinated by your desire to get on a turbo. It is a hateful form of exercise. I raced bikes for several years, and while it is an extremely useful form of exercise (allowing you to really improve in limited time) it is minus craic. A craic vacuum. Time turns to treacle and the will to live evaporates.

Give me outside on a bike. A couple of hours around back roads. A tough steep climb to power over. Tight bends to throw the bike into, testing your skill and your rubber. A long climb to dig in, grin and manage the pain. The view from the top. Sitting on the top tube in a tuck and urging gravity to pull you faster.

Pure joy. I can't wait for the marathon to be over so I can do it more.

I have been fascinated by your desire to get on a turbo. It is a hateful form of exercise. I raced bikes for several years, and while it is an extremely useful form of exercise (allowing you to really improve in limited time) it is minus craic. A craic vacuum. Time turns to treacle and the will to live evaporates.

Give me outside on a bike. A couple of hours around back roads. A tough steep climb to power over. Tight bends to throw the bike into, testing your skill and your rubber. A long climb to dig in, grin and manage the pain. The view from the top. Sitting on the top tube in a tuck and urging gravity to pull you faster.

Oh i would much prefer to get out on a bike too but by the time i get home from work in the evening it is too dark (for me anyhow, i'd be nervous enough in daylight). I hope to get out at the weekend to do a longish spin to mimic (or at least convince myself it mimics) the long run that i won't be doing :rolleyes: I am a complete novice on a bike, i used to cycle to secondary school many moons ago and that is the extent of my cycling experience aside from the occasional green way cycle pulling toddlers in a trailer in more recent years. My OH is a cyclist hence access to a semi-decent road bike and a turbo, i would never personally choose to own such a sadist piece of equipment :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Maybe some rest will help it settle down. All my niggles feel better after rest which is hard as you feel you need to be out running. Really hope that the physio helps.

Had exactly the same experience on my 8 miles this week. Was running happily feeling smug with myself that I could definitely keep going like this for 26 miles (trying to add positive thinking to my runs) and then I turned around and felt like I was being blown backwards!

Great work. Don't worry about the extra 2. I'm not an expert but the more i read the more i realise that 20 is still quite an arbitrary number really, there's no magic too it, the cumulative training you've done over the last number of weeks & months is what will get you through on the day and not that 1 run that tips the scales at 20 miles.

Oh i would much prefer to get out on a bike too but by the time i get home from work in the evening it is too dark (for me anyhow, i'd be nervous enough in daylight). I hope to get out at the weekend to do a longish spin to mimic (or at least convince myself it mimics) the long run that i won't be doing :rolleyes: I am a complete novice on a bike, i used to cycle to secondary school many moons ago and that is the extent of my cycling experience aside from the occasional green way cycle pulling toddlers in a trailer in more recent years. My OH is a cyclist hence access to a semi-decent road bike and a turbo, i would never personally choose to own such a sadist piece of equipment :p

Haha! I understand! For what it's worth, I don't know how experienced your OH is, but getting the bike tweaked for you in terms of position is crucial; if it's wildly too big or too small, it could lead to further injury. Saddle height, fore/aft position and reach should all be easily enough adjusted to suit you, plenty of youtube videos to help on that. If your OH is a different gender to you (I don't want to assume a single thing on the internet...) then it is likely the saddle won't be the most comfortable. Resist the seemingly logical urge to get a gel cover; they're comfortable for around 20 mins, but will deform and pressure things that are not meant to be pressured beyond that, kind of like a bed that's too soft. Get padded shorts and wear them next to your skin.

And then much like the advice for running; slow down, relax and smile.

what the heck is a turbo? I'm not sure I want to know now after Dave's post.

leesider77 wrote: »
    what the heck is a turbo? I'm not sure I want to know now after Dave's post.

The correct answer is that it is a device you can put your bike into that turns it into a stationary trainer. Benefits of it are that you can do very focused interval training without worrying about traffic, weather, etc., and knowing that the bike is in your position, so no risk of injury.

The correct answer is also a very modern form of self inflicted torture for folks who really know how to hate themselves.

Haha! I understand! For what it's worth, I don't know how experienced your OH is, but getting the bike tweaked for you in terms of position is crucial; if it's wildly too big or too small, it could lead to further injury. Saddle height, fore/aft position and reach should all be easily enough adjusted to suit you, plenty of youtube videos to help on that. If your OH is a different gender to you (I don't want to assume a single thing on the internet...) then it is likely the saddle won't be the most comfortable. Resist the seemingly logical urge to get a gel cover; they're comfortable for around 20 mins, but will deform and pressure things that are not meant to be pressured beyond that, kind of like a bed that's too soft. Get padded shorts and wear them next to your skin.

And then much like the advice for running; slow down, relax and smile.

Thanks Dave. He's not an expert as he's only at himself a couple of years but he knows enough to figure out that his bikes are too big for me. One of his crew recently bought a new bike though so he borrowed his old bike for me, he's smaller than my OH so it fits me better and made some adjustments as well. It's still probably not perfect but hopefully it's use will be short term! Yes, i need the padded shorts - i figured that out last night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I feel the same way, hubby and I have a lovely 40km route with a great climb with an even better downhill with a few drags to power up a lovely cycle with great views I do enjoy spinning but it's not the same as being out on the bike.
    In saying that I'm cycling to physio later 😊

I am hoping I get the all clear to run today I'm going to head out this evening for a short run to break in my runners and see how my legs are

Damo how's the knee feeling today and you Ariana how are you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

henrietta wrote: »
    Oh god! Thanks for sharing. Made me very nervous watching that for some reason, makes it all seen real. Stays very crowded for a long time too.
    Is it too late to chicken out?!!!

Yes, yes it is. One of you will be the 2018 mentor. :cool:
    21st seems like a popular option for another meet up? Not sure yet if I'll get there myself - maybe just to greet you all before you set off.

Can probably meet if you can't. Someone needs to check the novices are normal* people. ;)

*Of course they are, being marathon runners. :pac:

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    I feel the same way, hubby and I have a lovely 40km route with a great climb with an even better downhill with a few drags to power up a lovely cycle with great views I do enjoy spinning but it's not the same as being out on the bike.
    In saying that I'm cycling to physio later ��

I am hoping I get the all clear to run today I'm going to head out this evening for a short run to break in my runners and see how my legs are

Damo how's the knee feeling today and you Ariana how are you

Thanks baby. My leg is tender but i expected that as he worked fairly hard on it, i was biting my lip not to cry at times :o But hopefully it will all be worth it. The knee still feels a bit niggly but i'm not limping. Back to him tomorrow. This marathon is costing me a fortune :rolleyes:

Good luck at physio today yourself. Hope you get the all clear. Are you really runners really past they use by date? Just thinking it may not be the best time to break in new ones when you already have a niggle?

Advertisement