Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

My main reason for the visit (other than lending a chunk of moral support!) is to ask that in previous years there was a spreadsheet floating around for supporters - once a planned pace was entered it extrapolated out projected times for every road / marker / street on the course. does this still exist? was it updated to take into account course changes a few years ago?

Thanks in advance...

We have this one from the 2016 novices, but I can't work out if the first few miles are based on the old course.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZeY0_GQOn9afyfuIYEqMjEgFnAJrbMDeCqFvy_V-V0Q/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

We have this one from the 2016 novices, but I can't work out if the first few miles are based on the old course.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZeY0_GQOn9afyfuIYEqMjEgFnAJrbMDeCqFvy_V-V0Q/edit?usp=sharing

Super, thanks. I'll have a root through it tonight and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

leesider77 wrote: »
    And Don't Forget
    14. Don't do anything tiring. Let the grass grow. Let the kids take out the garbage. Let the dog walk himself.
    15. Don't try anything new. No new foods, drinks, or sports.
    16. Don't cross-train, hike, or bike.
    17. Don't get a sports massage unless it's part of your routine. You may feel bruised a couple days afterward if you're not accustomed to it.
    18. Stay off your feet and catch up on movies, books, and sleep. If you go to the pre-race expo, don't stay long.
    19. Remember: During this final week, you can't under-do. You can only overdo.

Sounds like a normal week for me then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Call me old fashioned but I liked the bit about having sex to take the edge off. The wife disagreed surprisingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

That Google Docs brings back some brilliant memories.....definite twinges of jealousy seeing all of you so close to doing the marathon this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but I liked the bit about having sex to take the edge off. The wife disagreed surprisingly

I completely missed this!!! Had to go back and read the article again. Maybe this will work better for me than cleaning my house ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

That Google Docs brings back some brilliant memories.....definite twinges of jealousy seeing all of you so close to doing the marathon this year!

Absolutely! I still remember the emotion when finishing my first. You guys are in for treat. Your A goal has to be to enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just seen a DCM Tweet.

** Only official DCM bags allowed at bag drop.**

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just seen a DCM Tweet.

** Only official DCM bags allowed at bag drop.**

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/918569065941258241
    Where or when does one get an official DCM bag?

I'm presuming at the expo.?

• Advertisement

I'm presuming at the expo.?

Do we have to buy it then I wonder or is it something we're all given?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »

It's says in the tweet we get them when we pick up our numbers at the expo 😊

Great information as always Auldmanking you are a legend

I forgot to update from physio it went great my ankle / foot issues were caused by a very tight calf pulling on tendons in my feet ( can't remember the thechinal term for it ) so he worked on my calf (ouch ouch ouch) and strapped my ankle and foot to support it all & I'm cleared to run from Saturday for LSR I can cycle or swim tomorrow just to let calf recover from being worked on. But good news and fx it won't become an issue again

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Baby75 wrote: »
    I forgot to update from physio it went great my ankle / foot issues were caused by a very tight calf pulling on tendons in my feet ( can't remember the thechinal term for it ) so he worked on my calf (ouch ouch ouch) and strapped my ankle and foot to support it all & I'm cleared to run from Saturday for LSR I can cycle or swim tomorrow just to let calf recover from being worked on. But good news and fx it won't become an issue again

Brilliant news Baby75, delighted for you. Does this mean you can run DCM as you had planned?

I got my tailwind on Monday so planning to try it out tomorrow, it might be a little close to marathon to try something new but will see how I go, I was hoping I’d have it for last week!

Brilliant news Baby75, delighted for you. Does this mean you can run DCM as you had planned?

I got my tailwind on Monday so planning to try it out tomorrow, it might be a little close to marathon to try something new but will see how I go, I was hoping I’d have it for last week!

Yes thankfully I am still running as planned

The important thing with tailwind is to sip little and often and it keeps you topped up so to speak I've never had any tummy issues with it at all good luck let me know what you think

Great news Baby75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

There was a great quote on The Running Bible Facebook page today.....

There will be days where you think you cannot run a marathon.......but there will be a lifetime knowing you have.

Thought it was very apt at this time.

Baby75 wrote: »

That's great news Baby :)

Anyone starting to think about the logistics of the day yet? I don't know Dublin very well at all so it's on my mind a bit. I'm staying on the Navan Rd. I presume there will be buses running or am i as well off just to get a Taxi in from there? And what sort of time should one be making their way in at?

Anyone starting to think about the logistics of the day yet? I don't know Dublin very well at all so it's on my mind a bit. I'm staying on the Navan Rd. I presume there will be buses running or am i as well off just to get a Taxi in from there? And what sort of time should one be making their way in at?

Ariana, Dublin Bus route 37,38 and 39 (at least) I'm pretty sure all run down the navan road toward town. Check Dublin Bus site for what time they start from.
    Depending on what part of the navan road your on, Ashtown and Broombridge train stations head into Connolly if you want to check Irish rail too for timetables.
    All that said, may be 'safer' from a time point of view for a taxi. I'm personally going to aim to be in town for 7.45/8.00 I think.

I'm not sure of my own plans yet but If it ends up that my wife is dropping me in, your more than welcome to jump in with us. We'll be driving straight down the Navan road if she is. I'll know closer the time

• Advertisement

Ariana, Dublin Bus route 37,38 and 39 (at least) I'm pretty sure all run down the navan road toward town. Check Dublin Bus site for what time they start from.
    Depending on what part of the navan road your on, Ashtown and Broombridge train stations head into Connolly if you want to check Irish rail too for timetables.
    All that said, may be 'safer' from a time point of view for a taxi. I'm personally going to aim to be in town for 7.45/8.00 I think.

I'm not sure of my own plans yet but If it ends up that my wife is dropping me in, your more than welcome to jump in with us. We'll be driving straight down the Navan road if she is. I'll know closer the time

Thanks for the info. I'm staying very near to the church on the Navan Rd and i won't have a car so i don't think the train is an option but i'll look up the buses though as you say a taxi might be the best option though i'd be petrified it wouldn't show up either (i'm a worrier :o)!! If a lift happens to work out without any inconvenience to you then that'd be great too :)

Thanks for the info. I'm staying very near to the church on the Navan Rd and i won't have a car so i don't think the train is an option but i'll look up the buses though as you say a taxi might be the best option though i'd be petrified it wouldn't show up either (i'm a worrier :o)!! If a lift happens to work out without any inconvenience to you then that'd be great too :)

I'll let you know closer the time. You'd grab a passing taxi pretty handy anyway on that part of the Navan Road

I'll let you know closer the time. You'd grab a passing taxi pretty handy anyway on that part of the Navan Road

I guess the trick is to allow plenty of time and to be honest i can't see myself sleeping a wink anyhow so i'd say i'll be raring to go at the crack of dawn :rolleyes: It'll all come together in the end no doubt, these things usually do! I'm just more used to races with 200 runners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Taxi is probably the best bet. 37 doesn't start early enough on a Sunday, and there wouldn't be any trains going through Ashtown/Broombridge in time on Sunday morning either.

Taxi is probably the best bet. 37 doesn't start early enough on a Sunday, and there wouldn't be any trains going through Ashtown/Broombridge in time on Sunday morning either.
    Yes, i've just been looking up the bus timetables and i've come to the same conclusion. Taxi it is, i guess it's a case of whether it'd be wisest i'd book one in advance or just try to grab one on the side of the road :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not my photo but last years bags are in it. You can fit a good bit in there. I did my bag inside a bag

http://dunboyneathleticclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/30033081344_fea27a2530_o.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've been thinking for ages about this but I've absolutely no idea about my logistics yet. And it's starting to stress me out too (not hugely but a little).

RasTa wrote: »
    Not my photo but last years bags are in it. You can fit a good bit in there. I did my bag inside a bag

http://dunboyneathleticclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/30033081344_fea27a2530_o.jpg

Thanks. Looks like a nice bag to have afterwards as well.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I've been thinking for ages about this but I've absolutely no idea about my logistics yet. And it's starting to stress me out too (not hugely but a little).

I'm glad it's not just me but i hope we can both get sorted without too much stress. I find the timing a bit of a worry too. Don't want to be standing around too long in there but need plenty of time too obviously. I really have no idea of the crowds and the level of formality with waves/bag drop etc.. I'd say i'll be in for a shock and probably completely overwhelmed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Normally at the expo, after you enter, there is a stairs to the right and once upstairs, the race numbers/pins are collected along that first stretch. When you get down the far side stairs, you collect your race bag. The race bag normally has a section in the middle where you stick your race number sticker for collection on the day. They are usually stored by number in sections 1000-1999 for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I haven't sorted out how I am getting there on the race day itself, but I am picking up race pack on Friday on the way back from work (rather than Saturday). If you see a guy on motorcycle outfit, messenger/laptop bag and a white helmet wandering around looking lost, that could be me.

I really like the bag, it looks big enough to fit a nice warm hoodie - I can wear a hoodie and drop it into the bag-drop, rather than discarding it at the start line - this is great because I was wondering how I will manage travelling back on public transport without one.

Advertisement