Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

2nd physio session of the week done. Not quite as brutal as Wednesday but still fairly intense. Plan is to try a very slow 3m run this evening or tomorrow morning and text him afterwards, if it goes ok then i'm good to try 5m on Sunday/Monday and well we didn't discuss the plan for if it doesn't go ok so fingers crossed (i'd cross my toes too but that might effect my gait :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I have a question regarding the cheering zones. My folks are coming up for the weekend as a get away for the bank holiday. My grandmother isn't very mobile and I was just wondering would there be seating in the cheering zones or would there be somewhere good she could sit and take in the race? Thanks! Just don't want to be worrying about her on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    2nd physio session of the week done. Not quite as brutal as Wednesday but still fairly intense. Plan is to try a very slow 3m run this evening or tomorrow morning and text him afterwards, if it goes ok then i'm good to try 5m on Sunday/Monday and well we didn't discuss the plan for if it doesn't go ok so fingers crossed (i'd cross my toes too but that might effect my gait :pac: )

Oh good luck with your run, I am a bit tender today after my session yesterday I am a bit nervous about missing this week mid weeks runs but hopefully It all goes well for tomorrow run and I can do a nice short run Sunday and back on plan for Tuesday onwards

On getting to up to Dublin I have no clue lol hubby is cycling :eek: so I might get up on the Saturday and stay with my sister she lives in town and I can hop on a bus or dart (if they are running)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Yes, i've just been looking up the bus timetables and i've come to the same conclusion. Taxi it is, i guess it's a case of whether it'd be wisest i'd book one in advance or just try to grab one on the side of the road :confused:

If I were you I’d book one at least then you can plan your morning better instead of stressing about whether you’ll get one on the road and if it will get you in on time.
    I was thinking of getting into town around 8, bag drop is only about 5min walk from grafton st

Great that you’re allowed to run again, hope the 3m goes well. Is it still sore when you’re walking?

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Oh good luck with your run, I am a bit tender today after my session yesterday I am a bit nervous about missing this week mid weeks runs but hopefully It all goes well for tomorrow run and I can do a nice short run Sunday and back on plan for Tuesday onwards

On getting to up to Dublin I have no clue lol hubby is cycling :eek: so I might get up on the Saturday and stay with my sister she lives in town and I can hop on a bus or dart (if they are running)

I haven't run since last Saturday :eek: And i definitely won't be doing 14m this weekend, i'll be doing 3m :eek::eek: But i'm not even worrying about those runs (or trying not to at least :rolleyes:). Right now my greater concern is to be able run in 2 weeks time :o You will be fine. Better to take now and rest if it's needed.

I would check the bus/dart out in advance, the bus route i'm staying on the earlist buses on the Sunday seem to 9am so they are useless.
    If I were you I’d book one at least then you can plan your morning better instead of stressing about whether you’ll get one on the road and if it will get you in on time.
    I was thinking of getting into town around 8, bag drop is only about 5min walk from grafton st

Thanks, yes i think i should book one & aim for 8am as well. I'm sure i'll need a last minute toilet stop as well. Is Grafton St the best place then to ask to be dropped off? I'm sure there'll be plenty of sign-posts around or maybe it'll be a case of follow the hoards of runners :pac:

I have a question regarding the cheering zones. My folks are coming up for the weekend as a get away for the bank holiday. My grandmother isn't very mobile and I was just wondering would there be seating in the cheering zones or would there be somewhere good she could sit and take in the race? Thanks! Just don't want to be worrying about her on the day.

I don’t think there’s seats at cheering zones but I could be wrong. There are benches along Chesterfield Ave in Phoenix Park though, could be an option??

Great that you’re allowed to run again, hope the 3m goes well. Is it still sore when you’re walking?

Not so much, it is stiff when i get up after sitting for long periods and there is the mildest niggle occasionally but for the most part i'd say no. It's been a gradual improvement all week - Saturday i could barely walk, Sunday walking with a very obvious limp, Monday & Tuesday walking with a less obvious limp, Wednesday the limp was more or less gone but still a bit of pain occasionally, Thursday less pain more of a niggle... So it's getting there definitely.

I'm nervous about running and excited too, it's been a long week with a lot of worrying and swinging moods/emotions :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Got my new runners! Shop said old ones wouuld still do for the marathon so I now have two options. I know the old ones won't last much beyond the marathon anyway so I'd be getting new ones anyway. Will break in the new ones in the coming weeks and if they feel broken in enough I'll use them, otherwise I'll return to the old ones which have had a nice long rest.

Regarding logistics - I'm leaning towards driving, as it'll give me the flexibility to arrive and leave when I need. Of course I won't be able to drink afterwards, but I don't really drink anyway so that's no sacrifice. I hope I'll have the muscle power to do the drive home, and I worry about where I'll park to ensure as little a walk to and, especially from, the marathon.

The alternative is public transport, but there's still muscle power considerations for that too, as it might be a bit of a walk to the nearest stop (that's presuming the usual bus route will be changed around because of the marathon) or station. But I don't really fancy sitting sweaty and exhausted on public transport for however long it'll take to get home and would be self conscious thinking of those sharing the vacinity with me too!

As with all the previous races in the series, I'll probably be there far too early anyway (which is another plus for car and minus for public transport), but that's my OCD of feelinig it better to be there and waiting, than not there and stressing about being late and missing it - it worked out well that way for the HM anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Last year they had special rates on parking if you prebooked. Looks like they have the same this year. St Stephens Green could be an option for you.

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

My runner OCD had me in nice and early last year I got dropped down the back of Trinity and just walked down to Merrion Square.....follow the hoardes you won't get lost! I think the LUAS is a popular method as there was loads getting on at Heuston.

I met a crew outside The Davenport and used here as my last pit stop before starting.

It was actually great soaking up the atmosphere before hand.

I was lucky in the fact I had family coming in afterwards so I met them for a couple of pints and made my way home.

One thing that I did that I wouldn't recommend is stopping in the finish chute.....keep those legs moving and get the bananas and Lucozade into you!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Got my new runners! Shop said old ones wouuld still do for the marathon so I now have two options. I know the old ones won't last much beyond the marathon anyway so I'd be getting new ones anyway. Will break in the new ones in the coming weeks and if they feel broken in enough I'll use them, otherwise I'll return to the old ones which have had a nice long rest.

Regarding logistics - I'm leaning towards driving, as it'll give me the flexibility to arrive and leave when I need. Of course I won't be able to drink afterwards, but I don't really drink anyway so that's no sacrifice. I hope I'll have the muscle power to do the drive home, and I worry about where I'll park to ensure as little a walk to and, especially from, the marathon.

The alternative is public transport, but there's still muscle power considerations for that too, as it might be a bit of a walk to the nearest stop (that's presuming the usual bus route will be changed around because of the marathon) or station. But I don't really fancy sitting sweaty and exhausted on public transport for however long it'll take to get home and would be self conscious thinking of those sharing the vacinity with me too!

As with all the previous races in the series, I'll probably be there far too early anyway (which is another plus for car and minus for public transport), but that's my OCD of feelinig it better to be there and waiting, than not there and stressing about being late and missing it - it worked out well that way for the HM anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm just starting to get my head around the logistics of the day. I will need a project plan just to arrange the schedule and locations of my various supporters with high5 drinks, compeeds, snacks  etc - and all in places so that they can get back to the finish line in time again ;-) 
    Just be aware that there are special darts running and also some bus route restrictions due to the road closures - I had to check the Irish rail website to confirm the time of my dart as it wasn't in the regular timetable. 
    Im sure someone has a complete checklist somewhere already - maybe from last year?
    This is what I have thought of so far:
    I have my pennys tracksuit and rain poncho to throw away at start line 
    My fellow corkconian is handling tops and getting names printed on them. I know what gear I am wearing.
    I have my high 5 tablets and gels for the day but need to sort snacks and drinks ( to give to supporters as backup but wont rely on them in case I miss them in the crowds). 
    Ive printed the route maps and estimated times for my supporters. I have the startline and bag drop map printed for me.
    I know how I am travelling in and the time I need to leave the house.
    I know what I will eat the morning of and what I will eat the evening before.
    Anything else big I missed? 
    What I am missing from my plan is where we will be meeting for pints afterwards???? I'll be about an hour later than most of you so it would be very kind if you will have my drink waiting for me...

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm just starting to get my head around the logistics of the day. I will need a project plan just to arrange the schedule and locations of my various supporters with high5 drinks, compeeds, snacks  etc - and all in places so that they can get back to the finish line in time again ;-) 
    Just be aware that there are special darts running and also some bus route restrictions due to the road closures - I had to check the Irish rail website to confirm the time of my dart as it wasn't in the regular timetable. 
    Im sure someone has a complete checklist somewhere already - maybe from last year?
    My fellow corkconian is handling tops and getting names printed on them. I know what gear I am wearing.
    I have my high 5 tablets and gels for the day but need to sort snacks and drinks ( to give to supporters as backup but wont rely on them in case I miss them in the crowds). 
    Ive printed the route maps and estimated times for my supporters. I have the startline and bag drop map printed for me.
    What I am missing from my plan is where we will be meeting for pints afterwards???? I'll be about an hour later than most of you so it would be very kind if you will have my drink waiting for me...

OMG you're way ahead of me in planning :eek:

I've been wondering about that last bit too. Do we go straight to McGrattans afterwards - assuming i can find it and will it be wedged? I will likely have a couple of my kids and my other half with as they are hoping to meet me at the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

OMG you're way ahead of me in planning :eek:

I've been wondering about that last bit too. Do we go straight to McGrattans afterwards - assuming i can find it and will it be wedged? I will likely have a couple of my kids and my other half with as they are hoping to meet me at the finish?

Don't stress ariana - I am a special kind of control freak ;-)
    I'm travelling with work again next week so needed to get some things ticked off the list for my sanity.

leesider77 wrote: »

What are you eating the night before?? I could do with some ideas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

What are you eating the night before?? I could do with some ideas!!

What did you eat the night before your long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

leesider77 wrote:
    I'm just starting to get my head around the logistics of the day. I will need a project plan just to arrange the schedule and locations of my various supporters with high5 drinks, compeeds, snacks etc - and all in places so that they can get back to the finish line in time again ;-) Just be aware that there are special darts running and also some bus route restrictions due to the road closures - I had to check the Irish rail website to confirm the time of my dart as it wasn't in the regular timetable. Im sure someone has a complete checklist somewhere already - maybe from last year? This is what I have thought of so far: I have my pennys tracksuit and rain poncho to throw away at start line My fellow corkconian is handling tops and getting names printed on them. I know what gear I am wearing. I have my high 5 tablets and gels for the day but need to sort snacks and drinks ( to give to supporters as backup but wont rely on them in case I miss them in the crowds). Ive printed the route maps and estimated times for my supporters. I have the startline and bag drop map printed for me. I know how I am travelling in and the time I need to leave the house. I know what I will eat the morning of and what I will eat the evening before. Anything else big I missed? What I am missing from my plan is where we will be meeting for pints afterwards???? I'll be about an hour later than most of you so it would be very kind if you will have my drink waiting for me...

Don't forget your race number. Pin it on your top the night before.

What did you eat the night before your long runs?

Usually pasta & chicken with some sauce but would be nice to have some new recipes
    BTW I’m still making your scrambled eggs you recommended months ago.... definitely the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made so thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Had some spare time this avo, so went to the gym and spent about an hour rolling and stretching, have been REALLY tight, pretty much all over for weeks now. Stopped doing gym sessions once the mileage really started to increase as i didn't have the time. Unfortunately i don't have the discipline to do it at home. Also did a few lengths in the pool afterwards and of course some obligatory time in the jacuzzi. Will try and repeat on both of the coming Fridays, hopefully see me a bit looser come game day.

Hope everybody else is feeling good.

Ariana, hang in there, I have everything crossed for you!

Had some spare time this avo, so went to the gym and spent about an hour rolling and stretching, have been REALLY tight, pretty much all over for weeks now. Stopped doing gym sessions once the mileage really started to increase as i didn't have the time. Unfortunately i don't have the discipline to do it at home. Also did a few lengths in the pool afterwards and of course some obligatory time in the jacuzzi. Will try and repeat on both of the coming Fridays, hopefully see me a bit looser come game day.

Hope everybody else is feeling good.

Ariana, hang in there, I have everything crossed for you!

That is my plan for tonight, stretching and foam rolling and exercises for my glutes :)

The weather is not looking great for the weekend, get the long run finished early tomorrow I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Yes, i've just been looking up the bus timetables and i've come to the same conclusion. Taxi it is, i guess it's a case of whether it'd be wisest i'd book one in advance or just try to grab one on the side of the road :confused:
    I booked one in 2014 the night before-- living just down from Cabra Garda station,had it booked for 720,still nothing at 730,rang twice and they said it would be 10 mins and it was the Bank Holiday as if i didn't know!:mad:,nothing still at 750 so went to Navan Road and got one in 5 mins from the Garda station. 720-730 is the ideal time to get one from there and i'll be doing it this year again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi Everyone, just been trying to catch up on everything.

Baby, delighted your injury seems to be sorted. Ariana, it’s sounding positive too. Damo, how are you doing? (Or did I miss that).

Well I figured out what my pains are that have been causing trouble are my runs. Had a scan the other day and seems i’ve got gallstones. I’ll be at the start line anyway and just praying I don’t get into trouble during the run. I’m following a strict diet for the next couple of weeks and hoping I can somehow reduce the pain. I also had medicine and going to try taking it tomorrow before my 14 mile to see can I prevent it happening.

In terms of getting ready for the day, Leesider’s project management has me well sorted and I’m getting our names on tops next week.

My next job is my pace band. Going to sit and play with the one on mymarathonpace.com over the weekend.

This is quite a good article for the few days before and morning of the marathon. https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-interests/running/article/5-worst-things-to-do-before-a-marathon/

hawkwing wrote: »
    I booked one in 2014 the night before-- living just down from Cabra Garda station,had it booked for 720,still nothing at 730,rang twice and they said it would be 10 mins and it was the Bank Holiday as if i didn't know!:mad:,nothing still at 750 so went to Navan Road and got one in 5 mins from the Garda station. 720-730 is the ideal time to get one from there and i'll be doing it this year again.

Now I'm petrified!!! Where is the Garda Station in relation to the church, is there a rank there?

KG glad you found what the problem is. I hope 9t doesn't flare up again before or on d-day! Long term are they something that will need to be removed or do they pass themselves?

I did my 3m run tonight. Very very slow, recovery pace. Knee was fine thank god but I didn’t enjoy it one bit, I was so nervous. It didn't help that it was dark so I was using the head torch and paranoid about slipping on fallen leaves or something else :(

Usually pasta & chicken with some sauce but would be nice to have some new recipes
    BTW I’m still making your scrambled eggs you recommended months ago.... definitely the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made so thank you! :)

What sauces do you use? Until now I have eaten spaghetti bolognese the night before every long run. I’m off red meat for the next few weeks so I made a random chicken and tomato thing with pasta tonight but besides carbonara I rarely have pasta with anything but mince. Need some ideas here too!

Now I'm petrified!!! Where is the Garda Station in relation to the church, is there a rank there?

KG glad you found what the problem is. I hope 9t doesn't flare up again before or on d-day! Long term are they something that will need to be removed or do they pass themselves?

I did my 3m run tonight. Very very slow, recovery pace. Knee was fine thank god but I didn’t enjoy it one bit, I was so nervous. It didn't help that it was dark so I was using the head torch and paranoid about slipping on fallen leaves or something else :(

That’s brilliant news though that you did the run with no pain issues. So will you do 5 miles next now?

Doctor says some people can live with gallstones but just depends on how much trouble they are causing and some people need to get their gallbladder removed. I’m going to see consultant and he’ll decide. I’ve decided to wait to see him until after DCM and also give me a chance to see how the diet helps and acupuncture too. I’ve that booked for next week.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That’s brilliant news though that you did the run with no pain issues. So will you do 5 miles next now?

Doctor says some people can live with gallstones but just depends on how much trouble they are causing and some people need to get their gallbladder removed. I’m going to see consultant and he’ll decide. I’ve decided to wait to see him until after DCM and also give me a chance to see how the diet helps and acupuncture too. I’ve that booked for next week.

Yes 5m on Sunday is the plan and if thats ok then 8m on Tues or Wed and that will prob be my longest run before d-day :)

I hope the diet and acupuncture help KG and you don't need surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What sauces do you use? Until now I have eaten spaghetti bolognese the night before every long run. I’m off red meat for the next few weeks so I made a random chicken and tomato thing with pasta tonight but besides carbonara I rarely have pasta with anything but mince. Need some ideas here too!

Chicken, pesto, sundried tomatoes and pasta....gorgeous!

skyblue46 wrote: »

Yes delish I do this a lot.

Or just pasta, pesto and spinach. I add peppers/mushrooms too if I have them.

Red pesto with pasta, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

skyblue46 wrote: »

Must give this a try.

My go to chicken-pasta dish is cook the chicken in a wok, pasta normally then dump it into the wok with passata and a few herbs and enjoy with a bit of garlic bread :D

From novice runners to chefs, were jack of all trades!!

• Advertisement

You poor thing, my sister got married in April and I normally eat very healthy but it was a weekend affair and food did not agree with me, I was in agony, spent 4 days not being able to do anything when I went to the doctor he said it was an inflamed gallbladder I had to take and still have to take the tablets he gave me if it flares up again! So I hope the medication works and you have no more issues you have to watch the fat in your diet that flares mine up

Ariana that is great no issues with the knee on your run, your right to use a head torch I fell out on a run last week uneven path and caught my toe and over I went I was ok thankfully, hopefully, you will enjoy your next run and won't be as worried. I am feeling a little worried about my run tomorrow hopefully no issues

Advertisement