Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

ariana` wrote: »
    Now I'm petrified!!! Where is the Garda Station in relation to the church, is there a rank there?
    :(
    It's just a couple of hundred metres further on towards town. There is no rank but i just flagged one down there as they are always heading for town-- in the Navan Road,you would get one easily from the church also.The annoying part of booking one is i wasted 30 mins waiting for it to come and you are neither here nor there when it doesn't arrive on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Usually pasta & chicken with some sauce but would be nice to have some new recipes BTW I’m still making your scrambled eggs you recommended months ago.... definitely the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever made so thank you!

You should probably just stick with what's worked for you until now. Glad your enjoying the scrambled eggs!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Chicken, pesto, sundried tomatoes and pasta....gorgeous!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Yes delish I do this a lot.

Or just pasta, pesto and spinach. I add peppers/mushrooms too if I have them.

Red pesto with pasta, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese is lovely too.

Good ideas. I’d gotten lazy lately just doing the same thing every week. I love red pesto too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

hawkwing wrote: »
    It's just a couple of hundred metres further on towards town. There is no rank but i just flagged one down there as they are always heading for town-- in the Navan Road,you would get one easily from the church also.The annoying part of booking one is i wasted 30 mins waiting for it to come and you are neither here nor there when it doesn't arrive on time.

Could also try booking on the MyTaxi app, ive used it before for early morning airport and worked a treat! I f*cking hate ringing a taxi office early in the morning, sorry to any taxi drivers on here haha.

Baby75 wrote: »
    You poor thing, my sister got married in April and I normally eat very healthy but it was a weekend affair and food did not agree with me, I was in agony, spent 4 days not being able to do anything when I went to the doctor he said it was an inflamed gallbladder I had to take and still have to take the tablets he gave me if it flares up again! So I hope the medication works and you have no more issues you have to watch the fat in your diet that flares mine up

Does it flare up much? I’m wondering how long it will take to get under control. I still feel it daily. The running seems to aggravate it which obviously is worrying me for Dublin. Going to take medication before I run tomorrow to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The bag is pretty decent alright. Think the programme/magazine is in it, or else it's a case of picking one up at the expo. Expo wasn't too busy, but I went on the Friday.

On race day I got into the city just after 7 (car, then taxi from Whitehall church). Kinda fun sitting in the back of a taxi when it's still pretty dark and knowing the challenge you're about to take on as a first timer. Alone in your thoughts, excited and a bit nervous - am I hanging around too much, when should I drop the bag, will there be more portaloos? Ah look, it's no long after 8 and it's a grand day altogether, hey, better get into the lane for my wave. It'll be fine!

McGrattans wasn't manic when I got there (maybe 1:45 or 2pm), picked up a bit later.

Alright folks, have a good weekend.

https://twitter.com/Highland_Cows/status/916733154546933762

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ok I know I'm going against the grain here but I've barely thought about the logistics of the morning yet......even if it will be the longest distance I have ever attempted to run!! The first hint of panic came when I saw a time of 7.20 mentioned, a time at which I figured I would lie down for a short sleep after breakfast.

I had very little intention of adding 90 mins of standing about, taking in the atmosphere or sipping coffee to the hours which I will be on my feet running. My plan is to head in, drop the bag and move to my wave as late as possible.

So my question for those out there who have done this before is how much time, maximum, I need to get from Grafton Street to standing ready to go with a few minutes to spare?

On race day I got into the city just after 7

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Does it flare up much? I’m wondering how long it will take to get under control. I still feel it daily. The running seems to aggravate it which obviously is worrying me for Dublin. Going to take medication before I run tomorrow to see what happens.

It doesn't as long as I am careful and avoid fatty foods and junk food I can have a little but once off not an everyday thing, it took a few days to settle I had to take buscopan for a few days and it helped a lot, now if it starts I take it and its gone within an hour ( it flared up Friday evening after I had a tiny bit of cream) hubby birthday so had to have a little :D how are you now if your in any discomfort take the medication now unless your doctor has told you to take it another way, in that case, ignore me and follow his instructions.

It doesn't as long as I am careful and avoid fatty foods and junk food I can have a little but once off not an everyday thing, it took a few days to settle I had to take buscopan for a few days and it helped a lot, now if it starts I take it and its gone within an hour ( it flared up Friday evening after I had a tiny bit of cream) hubby birthday so had to have a little :D how are you now if your in any discomfort take the medication now unless your doctor has told you to take it another way, in that case, ignore me and follow his instructions.

Yes it’s the buscopan I have too. I just stopped taking it once the pain subsided during the week. I can feel it now so you are right I should take it and i’ll take before I run in the morning too. I think it was the sports beans aggravated it but i’ve yet to figure out what else.

• Advertisement

Ok I know I'm going against the grain here but I'm not in a tizzy or a flap about something over 2 weeks away.....even if it will be the longest distance I have ever attempted to run!! The first hint of panic came when I saw a time of 7.20 mentioned, a time at which I figured I would lie down for a short sleep after breakfast.

I had very little intention of adding 90 mins of standing about, taking in the atmosphere or sipping coffee to the hours which I will be on my feet running. My plan is to head in, drop the bag and move to my wave as late as possible.

So my question for those out there who have done this before is how much time, maximum, I need to get from Grafton Street to standing ready to go with a few minutes to spare?

You sound nice and relaxed. I’m also wondering what time you need to be in your wave area to get close to the pacers you want to run with etc. I want to be fairly close to the front of Wave 4 if I can.

You sound nice and relaxed. I’m also wondering what time you need to be in your wave area to get close to the pacers you want to run with etc. I want to be fairly close to the front of Wave 4 if I can.

Yeah I'm not bad at all. I suppose it's one of the benefits of being Dublin based. I'm planning to sit at the back of wave 2, don't even mind if I'm last :pac:

Yeah I'm not bad at all. I suppose it's one of the benefits of being Dublin based. I'm planning to sit at the back of wave 2, don't even mind if I'm last :pac:

That certainly helps. Hoping the front of the wave won’t be slightly mad.

That certainly helps. Hoping the front of the wave won’t be slightly mad.

I think the front of every wave is slightly bonkers, probably not the best place to try to start conservatively from.

I think the front of every wave is slightly bonkers, probably not the best place to try to start conservatively from.

Yes and prob evens out a few miles in anyway.

That's what I'm hoping. I figure I will have a bit of space at the back of the wave, that's relative of course. It'll be crowded everywhere I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Ok I know I'm going against the grain here but I've barely thought about the logistics of the morning yet......even if it will be the longest distance I have ever attempted to run!! The first hint of panic came when I saw a time of 7.20 mentioned, a time at which I figured I would lie down for a short sleep after breakfast.

I definitely need a few of the chill pills you are taking ;-)

Yes it’s the buscopan I have too. I just stopped taking it once the pain subsided during the week. I can feel it now so you are right I should take it and i’ll take before I run in the morning too. I think it was the sports beans aggravated it but i’ve yet to figure out what else.

where you going to use the sports beans for the Marathon, good luck on your run today :)

I like that idea, then as it all settles you can pick people off that may have gone out too fast off and enjoy the mental kick it gives you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I like that idea, then as it all settles you can pick people off that may have gone out too fast off and enjoy the mental kick it gives you :)

If you're using this strategy, you won't be picking anyone off until well into Chesterfield Avenue, it's simply too congested before that. The danger is if you're relying on pacers and they disappear into the distance.

There's nothing wrong with this strategy for novices btw, it will keep you disciplined in the first 5-6m so you don't get carried away by the crowds. But you wouldn't want to be the type to hit the panic button if you lose touch with the pacers.

On the other hand, I started my second marathon with a slower pace group than my target, and eased ahead of them on Chesterfield Ave. Was good for the morale to hit the halfway mark 2mins up on their ETA, and still felt good all the way to the finish. Taking it easy for the first 5-6miles played a big part in that imo. A comfortable B goal would have been to stick with the pace group and come home 5-10 outside of A goal..... would've been perfectly happy with that!

leesider77 wrote: »
    I definitely need a few of the chill pills you are taking ;-)

I'm trying to follow the advice of not changing too much. From what I eat on the days before, my breakfast, gels, drinks etc. So it's just another run....which so happens to be 26.2 miles LMAO

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote: »
    If you're using this strategy, you won't be picking anyone off until well into Chesterfield Avenue, it's simply too congested before that. The danger is if you're relying on pacers and they disappear into the distance.

There's nothing wrong with this strategy for novices btw, it will keep you disciplined in the first 5-6m so you don't get carried away by the crowds. But you wouldn't want to be the type to hit the panic button if you lose touch with the pacers.

On the other hand, I started my second marathon with a slower pace group than my target, and eased ahead of them on Chesterfield Ave. Was good for the morale to hit the halfway mark 2mins up on their ETA, and still felt good all the way to the finish. Taking it easy for the first 5-6miles played a big part in that imo. A comfortable B goal would have been to stick with the pace group and come home 5-10 outside of A goal..... would've been perfectly happy with that!

I had a time goal of going out with the 4hr 30 pacers I thought that was achievable after the half marathon, but Sunday 20 miles put me in my place and now I just want to start slow and save as much as I can for the second half I just want to enjoy it and be able to finish it

conor_mc wrote: »

No I don't plan to up the pace until Castleknock college at least. Not planning on going with pacers either so no worries if I lose them....unless my watch stops working at which point I will have a meltdown:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭conor_mc

No I don't plan to up the pace until Castleknock college at least. Not planning on going with pacers either so no worries if I lose them....unless my watch stops working at which point I will have a meltdown:-)

:D
    To paraphrase the great Bill Shankly (or was it Bob Paisley?), if your watch packs in and you're not sure what to do, just keep running til the finish line and you can charge it up then!

Good plan btw. Genuinely, run the race by feel as much as you can. You'll feel more relaxed and enjoy it more. High-five the kids!!! That smile from having the craic with a gang of kids is better than any gel, it stops you retreating into your own dark thoughts (like, why the heck am I doing this???!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Update from this morning.....the marathon signs were being put up outside the club in Chapeizod!!

Come on M Day for the wonders.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I signed up to volunteer at parkrun on the 28th. I'd highly recommend it, pretty much all the volunteers will be running the marathon so the buzz will be great. It was last year anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's a good idea. Did it last year and there was a bit of marathon chat from fellow volunteers. I only have to do 15 minutes recovery on the 28th, so volunteering, a short spin and my DCM plan is done.

where you going to use the sports beans for the Marathon, good luck on your run today :)

Was going to use them in between gels but definitely not now. I’ll just aim for gels only now I think as terrified to try anything else.

This morning went very well. Took the buscopan last night after your post and this morning again. Got a slight niggle at 15kms and started to worry but it went away. I think I might carry them with me on the day too.
    I had a time goal of going out with the 4hr 30 pacers I thought that was achievable after the half marathon, but Sunday 20 miles put me in my place and now I just want to start slow and save as much as I can for the second half I just want to enjoy it and be able to finish it

You were between 4:20 and 4:30, weren’t you? I put 4:25 into that findmymarathon paceband thing, starting conservatively - Behind or with the 4:30 pacers, can’t quite remember. Have a look at it. If you are on for it i’d love to do that with somebody on the day.

Mine stopped at 11km in Clonakilty half last year. I nearly had a meltdown. I had a goal of 2:11. Icame in at 2:10:49 without the watch! Still don’t know how!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good news from the run this morning KG! Sounds like a wise move to have the medication with you on the day aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 8 mile easy - 13.51km @ 7:52
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 12 mile LSR - 19.58km @ 8:05
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 5 mile easy - 7.84km @ 7:39
    Saturday - 4 mile easy - 6.14km @ 7:12 + 2km leisurely walk home.
    Sunday - planned rest

A measly (:)) 47km for the week.

I think I'm definitely tired, presumably from the 20 mile the previous week. Every single run this week felt hard, legs felt like lead, and all of them were the slowest on that particular route. The LSR felt particularly hard with a real battle of will to not stop half way.

Started to break in the new runners today. All grand.

I'll be heading in to the expo on Friday afternoon, probably be there around 2/3pm. If anybody expects to be there around then too, then we could maybe meet up and say hi, though I don't plan to be hanging around too long after I've got my gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Bought my 'Marathon socks' in Penney's, just a small piece of preparation :) Have always found 'Penneys' ok for socks :)

Advertisement