Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Was going to use them in between gels but definitely not now. I’ll just aim for gels only now I think as terrified to try anything else.

This morning went very well. Took the buscopan last night after your post and this morning again. Got a slight niggle at 15kms and started to worry but it went away. I think I might carry them with me on the day too.

You were between 4:20 and 4:30, weren’t you? I put 4:25 into that findmymarathon paceband thing, starting conservatively - Behind or with the 4:30 pacers, can’t quite remember. Have a look at it. If you are on for it i’d love to do that with somebody on the day.

Mine stopped at 11km in Clonakilty half last year. I nearly had a meltdown. I had a goal of 2:11. Icame in at 2:10:49 without the watch! Still don’t know how!!

That's a great I'm glad your feeling a bit better you'll be grand come Marathon day would jellies work instea maybe I have found them ok no issues at all or Lucozade was ok at the 10 miler not a bad idea to have them with you.I had mine with me on Sunday just in case.

Yes I was between 4.20 to 4.30 and I felt it was doable but after Sunday my confidence is knocked completely. I am wondering if I had of stuck with the 4.30 pacers last week I would have come in with them I should check what time they finished at compared to my time . I'll start with you I'm in wave 4 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Update from this morning.....the marathon signs were being put up outside the club in Chapeizod!!

Come on M Day for the wonders.....

Last LSR that will break 10 miles done. On the couch drinking coffee reading the Irish Runner's marathon edition.

The excitement is really building now. No matter if the race ends up good, bad or ugly, this whole thing will have been one heck of an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Baby75 wrote: »
    That's a great I'm glad your feeling a bit better you'll be grand come Marathon day would jellies work instea maybe I have found them ok no issues at all or Lucozade was ok at the 10 miler not a bad idea to have them with you.I had mine with me on Sunday just in case.

Yes I was between 4.20 to 4.30 and I felt it was doable but after Sunday my confidence is knocked completely. I am wondering if I had of stuck with the 4.30 pacers last week I would have come in with them I should check what time they finished at compared to my time . I'll start with you I'm in wave 4 anyway

I just don’t know if it’s those sports beans in particular or all food. If all going smoothly i’ll take jellies or Jaffa cakes or whatever is on offer on the way round.

Brilliant to start together. I’m going to switch on the laptop tonight If I get time and hopefully set up that paceband so I can send it to you too when done if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've left the final 20 mile LSR late but did it on the 3rd time of asking.
    Between man flu and a wedding, I've had real life getting in the way of my ideal marathon training.
    I'm delighted with my run today. Felt I ran the second 10 mile faster but will confirm once I climb off the couch.
    Bring on the taper now, I'm finally mentally ready for marathon day!

I just don’t know if it’s those sports beans in particular or all food. If all going smoothly i’ll take jellies or Jaffa cakes or whatever is on offer on the way round.

Brilliant to start together. I’m going to switch on the laptop tonight If I get time and hopefully set up that paceband so I can send it to you too when done if you like.

Yes please that would be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Planning only to do about 4 or 5 miles 'lsr' tomorrow. Was very fatigued yesterday, less so today but going to 'take it very easy'. Coffee and scone afterwards in 'my local' (Cafe :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really struggling to look at strava at the minute, it depresses me. But from what I've seen you are all doing brilliant, well done, some great 14 milers today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

ariana` wrote: »
    Really struggling to look at strava at the minute, it depresses me. But from what I've seen you are all doing brilliant, well done, some great 14 milers today :)

Did you get out for your 3m today?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm back on the injured list. Pulled up today after 17km with a sharp pain in the glute in my good leg. All my other pains were niggles. This is the first one that really stopped me in my tracks. Everything was going so well. I didn't have one twinge in any of my usual areas in my other leg. Slowed right down and felt very fresh after 17 km. I just can't catch a break. I'm away next week so no opportunity of a Physio. Guess you can do all the planning in the world but it doesn't matter if your body has other ideas :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm back on the injured list. Pulled up today after 17km with a sharp pain in the glute in my good leg. All my other pains were niggles. This is the first one that really stopped me in my tracks. Everything was going so well. I didn't have one twinge in any of my usual areas in my other leg. Slowed right down and felt very fresh after 17 km. I just can't catch a break. I'm away next week so no opportunity of a Physio. Guess you can do all the planning in the world but it doesn't matter if your body has other ideas :-(

Aw this is terrible news. Please god it loosens itself out. Fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yeah, fingers crossed for you Leesider, rest up for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Last LSR that will break 10 miles done. On the couch drinking coffee reading the Irish Runner's marathon edition.

The excitement is really building now. No matter if the race ends up good, bad or ugly, this whole thing will have been one heck of an experience.

Well done. I finally found out where your username comes from. It must be at least 15 years since I read "The Gunslinger".

Very sorry to see this! Just when I was thinking our collective luck was turning. Don't give up on it yet. It may not be as bad as it seems.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think the front of every wave is slightly bonkers, probably not the best place to try to start conservatively from.

Only elites won't have the congestion problem. After less than a quarter of mile you take a sharp right hander, it's nearly impossible to avoid the concertina effect with people going off like maniacs. See also the NCR gate into the Phoenix Park (and from there up to the back of the zoo) in addition to exiting at Castleknock Gate, where for some reason so many people nearly fling themselves in front of other runners :confused:

Lazare wrote: »
    I signed up to volunteer at parkrun on the 28th. I'd highly recommend it, pretty much all the volunteers will be running the marathon so the buzz will be great. It was last year anyway.

Same as. Last year I put on a Grim Reaper costume for a laugh. Even so, I was worried I'd injure myself jumping out in front of people :D

I've left the final 20 mile LSR late but did it on the 3rd time of asking.
    Between man flu and a wedding, I've had real life getting in the way of my ideal marathon training.
    I'm delighted with my run today. Felt I ran the second 10 mile faster but will confirm once I climb off the couch.
    Bring on the taper now, I'm finally mentally ready for marathon day!

Sure did, only 2 weeks out :) I think I saw that one on Strava.

Taper time for you at last, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Same as heebusjeebus, I too ended up doing that really long LSR this morning. I couldn't do it last weekend with a tummy bug, and its unbelievable how a simple bug knocks the wind out of you. I slogged thru todays job, and finally go to experiment with the hi5 gels, the zero tablets in water etc.

So yeah, I am ready for marathon. Or at least I have accepted my current state as 'as ready as I will be' for this marathon attempt at least. For one reason or another I couldn't stick to the plan the whole way, and that clearly shows. I feel comfortable running at 6 min/km for up to a half marathon distance. That's' where current fitness level really is - a half. Trying to stretch it to a marathon distance isn't going to be pretty. Beyond 24k, my pace going to drop to 7 min/km or less, and I will also be walking a bit in the last 10k. That's my experience today. I wasn't of breath of anything, but there was not much left in my legs. My feet especially were really sore. And yeah, that experiment of running 5k with a pair of runners too small some 8 weeks ago - some of my toenails are in bits, and the big toe's nail is threatening to not run DCM with me.

Considering everything, I am "right sizing" my expectation and setting a C goal of 4h 30m finish. (A = 'get to the finish line', B = 'five hours').

Finally, glad to be able to say this "Taper time"!! :D

positron wrote: »
    Same as heebusjeebus, I too ended up doing that really long LSR this morning. I couldn't do it last weekend with a tummy bug, and its unbelievable how a simple bug knocks the wind out of you. I slogged thru todays job, and finally go to experiment with the hi5 gels, the zero tablets in water etc.

So yeah, I am ready for marathon. Or at least I have accepted my current state as 'as ready as I will be' for this marathon attempt at least. For one reason or another I couldn't stick to the plan the whole way, and that clearly shows. I feel comfortable running at 6 min/km for up to a half marathon distance. That's' where current fitness level really is - a half. Trying to stretch it to a marathon distance isn't going to be pretty. Beyond 24k, my pace going to drop to 7 min/km or less, and I will also be walking a bit in the last 10k. That's my experience today. I wasn't of breath of anything, but there was not much left in my legs. My feet especially were really sore. And yeah, that experiment of running 5k with a pair of runners too small some 8 weeks ago - some of my toenails are in bits, and the big toe's nail is threatening to not run DCM with me.

Considering everything, I am "right sizing" my expectation and setting a C goal of 4h 30m finish. (A = 'get to the finish line', B = 'five hours').

Finally, glad to be able to say this "Taper time"!! :D

Hopefully with tapering, good food and hydration you’ll have more in you than you think.

Downloaded the pace band calculator tonight from mymarathonpace.com. I paid for it after playing with the trial version. Works out about €6. It is brilliant. Highly recommend. Also a map at the end to give to friends and family so they know what time to expect you where etc.

oh no, I hope with some rest it will be ok

• Advertisement

Downloaded the pace band calculator tonight from mymarathonpace.com. I paid for it after playing with the trial version. Works out about €6. It is brilliant. Highly recommend. Also a map at the end to give to friends and family so they know what time to expect you where etc.

I must look that up, I have one done fro Asics that you pick up at the expo

I got out for my first run all week, quite surprised to find my legs felt heavy still but it got better as I ran, it was a slow easy 3 miles and good new no pain normal running niggles :D hoping tomorrow long run goes as well my first solo one think I will get my son to cycle with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Well done. I finally found out where your username comes from. It must be at least 15 years since I read "The Gunslinger".

Such a great saga. I just found out they were making a movie when I registered. Pity the movie was crap.

I must look that up, I have one done fro Asics that you pick up at the expo

I got out for my first run all week, quite surprised to find my legs felt heavy still but it got better as I ran, it was a slow easy 3 miles and good new no pain normal running niggles :D hoping tomorrow long run goes as well my first solo one think I will get my son to cycle with me :)

I should have screenshotted what I did to send you earlier but it was on the laptop and I just switched it off and figured I'd do more tomorrow night. It covers both miles and kms but obviously with 42km it's a lot of detail on the band. Too late to switch to miles though I think. I think 4:25 looks doable as starting way slower than PMP for 4:30.

Good luck tomorrow.

I'll put this up here and refresh it from time to time over the next 10 6 days. 2/3 of us are hoping to meet on Saturday week, the 21st, in the Park for a leisurely 8m shuffle. Pace will be very gentle but if a few come there can always be different paces. It'd be nice to drop into the Tea Room for a coffee too. A last chance to put faces to names before the big day. No time set so open to suggestions.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll put this up here and refresh it from time to time over the next 10 6 days. 2/3 of us are hoping to meet on Saturday week, the 21st, in the Park for a leisurely 8m shuffle. Pace will be very gentle but if a few come there can always be different paces. It'd be nice to drop into the Tea Room for a coffee too. A last chance to put faces to names before the big day. No time set so open to suggestions.

We are planning to get up for that :)

We are planning to get up for that :)

That's great! I think Browneyes, Lazare, RolandDeschain and myself will be there anyway. WW said he might be able to meet for coffee and Craig might make an appearance. Quickbeam should be there for a cuppa. Leesider was planning to be there but we'll have to wait and see how her injury is.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

430609.png

Missed out on LSR on Friday due knee niggle - planning on getting it in tomorrow - earlier the better by the looks of things! Also reconsidering my (mostly coastal) running itinerary for early next week:eek:
    Stay safe out there folks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I have done all the runs on the plan thusfar, but within a week, not necessarily in the same order as in the plan - I liked to get the long runs out early in the week when I could.

However, as we're getting closer to The Day, is the run order becoming more important? Should I stick more rigidly to the plan? Specifically asking for next week as the week after I'll be sticking to HH as written.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Thanks everyone for their messages - I spent the day feeling sorry for myself yesterday but need to start the recovery plan today. The good news is I think I know what caused it - I was running loops in PP on the paths - quite a long part of it was on an uneven path. I was striking my left foot awkwardly which is also sore in the spot that was taking all the pressure and at the same time putting extra uneven weight on my right leg - I guess my glute took the brunt of it. Tough lesson to learn two weeks before the marathon.
    Anyone know a physio that opens in Dublin on a Sunday???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Had planned my last 20 miles for today but my calf has been at me on my runs this week so it's with a great deal of annoyance that I'm going to give my LSR a miss today. Gonna rest it up for a few days, do a bit of foam rolling and do the 20 miles later in the week. Ive basically been following the plan as suggested by the Dublin Marathon each week so this is really the first run I've missed. I'm thinking Ive made a sensible decision but cant get it out of my mind that I should be out running. Gets into your head this marathon training. Still though not ideal 2 weeks out to be missing your last planned run.

Hope everyone's running is going well and good luck to everyone in 2 weeks

Advertisement