Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their messages - I spent the day feeling sorry for myself yesterday but need to start the recovery plan today. The good news is I think I know what caused it - I was running loops in PP on the paths - quite a long part of it was on an uneven path. I was striking my left foot awkwardly which is also sore in the spot that was taking all the pressure and at the same time putting extra uneven weight on my right leg - I guess my glute took the brunt of it. Tough lesson to learn two weeks before the marathon.
    Anyone know a physio that opens in Dublin on a Sunday???

hopefully, it will come right with some rest, I hope you find a physio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Cramps in bed,cramps during my run. Did just a little over 3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hopefully nothing serious....a day on the couch for you!

Spirogyra wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hopefully nothing serious....a day on the couch for you!

Might look into a 'sports massage' during the week,maybe. Definitely foam rolling. Hopefully in 2 weeks time I'll be fine. But very little and only extremely gentle running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone know if Elverys Fonthill do a selection of belts?

The bumbag thing I have is not really gonna do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

leesider77 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their messages - I spent the day feeling sorry for myself yesterday but need to start the recovery plan today. The good news is I think I know what caused it - I was running loops in PP on the paths - quite a long part of it was on an uneven path. I was striking my left foot awkwardly which is also sore in the spot that was taking all the pressure and at the same time putting extra uneven weight on my right leg - I guess my glute took the brunt of it. Tough lesson to learn two weeks before the marathon.
    Anyone know a physio that opens in Dublin on a Sunday???

On the route you ran there are also some steep little uphill bits. These are best avoided for the next 2 weeks. Everyone should keep their runs pretty flat if all the taper guidelines are to be believed.

Craft IPAs should also be avoided apparently. I'm failing quite badly on that one!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hopefully able to make next Saturday morning but will depend on what time the meet is versus what time the young lads match is.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Hopefully able to make next Saturday morning but will depend on what time the meet is versus what time the young lads match is.

No time arranged yet so throw a time into the hat that suits you. It might be a time that everyone is happy with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Oh I second the plan for a relaxing day on the couch for you
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    No time arranged yet so throw a time into the hat that suits you. It might be a time that everyone is happy with. :)

we are flexible on Saturday as far as I know :) unless one of our lads have a match or something

I got out for my LSR and ran on my own without hubby he gone off cycling 140km around Wicklow the mad loon not an easy paced one either the lads he is with are very competitive and will all be trying to beat each other :confused:

My eldest lad kept me company cycling on his bike, all went well apart from a blister on the side of my foot, I had tape so stopped at halfway point and stuck it on, I took it nice and easy for first half and was a little faster on the way home so I am very happy with how it went feet and legs feel good well just the normal fatigue you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Week 15 Report

The taper begins. Did most of my runs at a nice comfortable pace. No point trying to gain extra fitness now. Just keep the engine running.

Monday - gyming. Front squats. Hoping the strength work pays off by helping power me up those hills.
    Tuesday - 5m easy
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - 6m easy
    Friday - 6m easy
    Saturday - 14.5m LSR. Nice and comfy pace. Did it in a carb depleted mode and without taking any gels. I had some logic for this but seemed just stupid at mile 10.
    Sunday - 3.5m recovery

I've been so lucky so far without any niggles or complaints. Long may it continue. Starting to get paranoid though, first sign of taper madness perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

positron wrote: »
    I will share what I like - may or may not be for you, but these are superb!

NPR "How I Built This" - amazing interviews with enteprenuers, often from very humble beginings, and the struggles they went thru and what got them to where they are. The guy behind Patagonia, the girl who invented Spandex etc. Inspiration stories really.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - this man can paint pictures with his words. His podcasts are infrequent but very looong. He hadn't posted in ages since marathon podcasts on World Wars, but this week I noticed he has posted an episode about Celtic people. Galicians. Being a blow-in from other part of the world, I knew nothing about Galicians/Celts, or their reputation as dangerous etc by the Romans... It's amazing to be honest!

I also listen to a few others, like Irish History Podcast (excellent actually), and for comedy relief & general topics, I have chat shows like Friday night comedy from BBC Radio 4 (topical piss take), Infinite Monkeycage (super nerdy), TED Radio Hour (inspirational, if a bit dramatic), NPR Planet Money, and a couple of other IT/Security related boring-as-hell-but-have-to-know type podcasts too.

I would whole heartedly recommend the first two to everyone I know.

I meant to thank you before positron for the Dan Carlin recommendation. They are brilliant. I finished Blueprint for Armageddon on my LSR yesterday. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Sheep1978 wrote: »

Usually earlier the better for me anyway but I don't have a time for his match yet anyway so can't say a time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Two Weeks To Go!!

Sounds a lot better than "Week 17", does it not?

It also gives us a bit more of an impression that something very special is actually about to happen :)

Apart from the actual running (some great efforts again this week) I hope tapering life is going well. Certainly there have been some very "interesting" discussions of late, which never had a hope of cropping up in the early weeks of the plans :pac:

Remember the runs in the last two weeks are just as important, so do what you can, and keep an eye on the paces! It's very easy to think "ah it's only 8 miles today" (especially as you've been used to double figure LSRs in the last number of weeks) and go shooting off into the great blue yonder.

Fingers crossed for leesider77, ariana`, Damo2k9 and everyone else in various stages of sickbay. I was in a similar predicament this time last year with ITB issues, and it was more relief in the end I think that I was able to take the start.

Thanks as always to my dedicated and ever helpful collaborators. Your advice and tips are greatly appreciated :)

Plans for next week as follows (no more double figure LSRs :eek:)

HHN1: Rest + 4M easy + 6M easy + 3M easy + rest + 8M LSR + cross

Boards: (Rest/cross/3M rec) + 3M easy + 4M easy + (4M PMP w/6 x 100m strides) + (rest/cross/3M rec) + 8M LSR + (rest/cross/3M rec)

Best of luck! I'll leave you with this

Lazare wrote: »

One crappy unsuitable one in the whole store.

Got new socks though, yay!

Where would I pick up a decent belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I have gone through 3 different belts. Currently using this one which I'm finding the best so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U8MOHNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had my last LSR today, I know it's closer to the big day than most programs would allow but I haven't had a proper long run in weeks due to schedule and sickness.

I took 2 days off and got loads of sleep, yet I struggled for the first 14km, legs felt heavy and my breathing struggled despite taking it easy. My story checked out with my HRM because it was constantly 170+ where it would normally be 145-150. Anyways I battled through and did slightly over 20m, occasionally slowing to walks to drink water and eat banana. I also tried a Lucozade sport which I've never done before but now was the time to try it in case I end up needing one during the marathon.

I'm glad it's taper time and I'm looking forward to easy/shorter runs. Maybe with more time off whatever was slowing me down will disperse.

Incidentally, any other guys finding the SSE HM t-shirt is causing the dreaded nip-chaffing? I get it really bad but not when I wear the Fingal 10km shirt, I would have imagined they were made from same material?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

conti wrote: »
    I have gone through 3 different belts. Currently using this one which I'm finding the best so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U8MOHNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How many gels would that hold? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Two Weeks To Go!!

Best of luck! I'll leave you with this

Yikes thanks for that. I'll be watching that more than once in the next 2 weeks I'd say....I don't know am I more nervous or excited :)

I got a belt in Sports Direct/ Heatons. It's meant to be for a phone but it has room for 8 gels in the bigger pocket and there is also a small pocket for keys. Think it was 10/15 euro. Used it on the last 3 long runs without a problem.

ariana` wrote: »
    How many gels would that hold? Thanks :)

I don't use the soft gel packets myself but to give you any idea of the size, there are 2 water-proof zipped storage areas. One side easily fits my phone which is quite large (Pixel XL), and in the right my keys and two 37ml silicone containers (pictured).

If all you're carrying are gels I imagine you'd squeeze a good few in there, at a rough guess maybe 4-6 per side.

https://imgur.com/BJoKO1D
    BJoKO1D

• Advertisement

So 4hr pacers confirmed to be at the front of wave 3.

That pdf that was stating wave 2 was last year's and has not been updated.

conti wrote: »

Just bought that one, cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion too Sean.

Just bought that one, cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion too Sean.

Looks good. Mine will be discarded when the last gel has been taken probably. I don't think I'll carry my phone and won't have keys with me. A few quid for pints in the pocket of my shorts and I'll be grand :)

Looks good. Mine will be discarded when the last gel has been taken probably. I don't think I'll carry my phone and won't have keys with me. A few quid for pints in the pocket of my shorts and I'll be grand :)

I'll be putting wallet, keys and phone into the bag drop.

Racing with everything I need and nothing I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I used to use a flipbelt . A bit pricy but a great piece of kit . Www.flipbelt.com, there are probably other version of the same product available. Wore it on the day with phone gels etc in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'll have my phone with me I think. How else will I be able to phone a friend at the 18 mile mark to come get me and take me home??????

(Joking*)

* I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have the Nathan version of the flip belt. It is brilliant. Carries loads and doesn’t budge so you don’t notice it. I plan on carrying phone, bank card rather than cash and gels and medication now too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good job we're not running tomorrow, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'm also a Flipbelt fanboy. I used it on my first marathon a couple of years ago to carry my phone (I didn't have a running watch back then), gels etc. and it worked out totally fine.

• Advertisement

Good job we're not running tomorrow, eh?

I'm going for a straight line 5k downwind. Looking to set a 5k PB of under 10 minutes :D

Advertisement