Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Has anyone any advise on what to eat after a run, especially the LSRs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I ate a bananna and drank a carton of moo joo after the long runs last year . If i was finishing tge run at home it would be scrambled egg on a bagel. Found that worked well for me. Peanut butter on a bagel is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The Muppet wrote: »
    I ate a bananna and drank a carton of moo joo after the long runs last year . If i was finishing tge run at home it would be scrambled egg on a bagel. Found that worked well for me. Peanut butter on a bagel is good too.

I'm a big fan of chocolate milk if it's going to be a while before getting home. If my long run ends back at my front door then there's no other option but several scrambled eggs and brown toast.

The most important thing to remember is this - thoroughly whisk the raw eggs to introduce air, but when your cooking them use a low heat and fold - never whisk when cooking. That way you'll get light, tasty, velvety scrambled eggs every time. Also wait until they are just about cooked before seasoning - adding salt too early will draw water out of the eggs making them dryer. None of this will help your running, but you won't care because your eggs will taste delicious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Chocolate milk goes down well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

pcuser wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Another new runner here. I started with the C25K back in October, I finished that and moved on to the 5K to 10K app and finished that. I enjoyed running so much I decided to train for a marathon. I was going to run the DCM but I left it late to book and the hotels were quiet expensive. Il also be going on Holidays 2 weeks later so that was not going to work. Instead I have registered for the Dingle Marathon on 02/09/2017 this suits me much better as I live in Kerry. I have to give a shout out to "The Muppet" he has being a great inspiration to me on the C25K thread he has also answered any questions I had.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5K 25:55 03/03/17
    10K 54:30 06/03/17
    10 Mile 1:48:50 01/06/2017 This was Yesterdays LSR

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I following the Hal Higdon novice plan at the moment so the distance varies each week. Im currently on week 5 and this week I ran 24 miles. I dont cross train I usually run an easy 5K for the days marked cross train

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Ideally I would like to finish with a sub 4:30 time, Its not the end of the world if I dont achieve this though. My plan was to run my 1st Marathon for fun and after that I could concentrate on times for the following marathons. When I have finished the training plan I should know a realistic time to finish in.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 7 days a week if needed. At the moment I am training 5 days a week and following Hal Higdons Novice Plan 1

Why are you running this marathon?
    Why not, I really enjoyed training for the 5 and 10K. I felt I could run a lot further after finishing the 10K app and decided to run a marathon. I can also raise money for charity doing something I love.

Welcome aboard pcuser! Looks like you'll be the first 2017 Novice to toe the line. No pressure ;)
    2016 Graduate tailgunner had the honour last year, with a sub-4 in Berlin IIRC.
    +1 to bit in bold (my emphasis) a lot of runners make the mistake of setting their heart on beating a particular time at the first attempt.
    You should be quite a way into HHN1 by now. How has it been going for you so far? Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote: »
    Wahoo PB!! So happy this morning.

Shaved 5 seconds off it.

Started structured training over the past couple of weeks and it's really paid off, haven't been able to come within a minute of that time since November.

Ran an easy 3 miles on Tuesday, a progression run on Wednesday and 4 easy miles on Thursday with 5x strides at the end of it. Decided yesterday to go for it at parkrun this morning.

So happy to see results so quickly.

Belated congrats on the parkrun PB :) great to see improvements already, the difference some structure can make! You don't say here how long your strides are? (e.g. 5 x 100m)

Haven't posted in a while but I have been sticking to my training plan for the Clontarf Half over the past two weeks. This week was fairly high mileage, and could certainly feel it in my legs, especially during the cool down after my run on wed, my legs were like jelly after 5 miles @ pace!! Also think I refuelled better after my lsr today, as I didn't need to have a nap this afternoon like I did last week!!

Overall this week I ran:
    Tues 4.5 m easy
    Wed 1 mile w/u, 5 mile pace, 1 mile c/d
    Thurs 4.5 m easy
    Sat 1 mile w/u, 3 mile pace, 1 mile c/d
    Sun 10 mile easy

Glad to hear training for Clontarf is going well. Fingers crossed you'll have favourable weather conditions on the day too; heat can be a nightmare there, as I know from first hand experience :eek:

Some excellent work being logged here Novices. Although I haven't been able to post here all the time, I'm still hovering somewhere in the ether like the old eye in the sky. Thanks to all the excellent contributors for throwing in some top advice in my absence!

Seeing as we're now into June, and the plans proper start in less than three weeks time, you should really have decided which one you want to run with (deliberate pun, it's late in the day :D) and equally, have made a good start in your base building.

There seems to be a bit of interest in the Irish Runner 5 Mile on Saturday week. It takes place before the plans themselves start, but I'll use my local knowledge to give a little course guide nearer the time if people are keen on one. Same applies to Race Series events. More later. Slán go fóill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I would recommend protein shakes (MyProtein + milk). This is my go to drink after runs / cycle etc, and the main benefit (apart from protein.. but that could be just marketing spiel) is that it takes the edge of that 'runger'. I ran out of protein powder there last week and lately I have noticed myself constantly grazing looking for a bite here, couple of grapes, an orange, half a swiss roll etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Immediately after the LSR i always throw some milk, a banana and a scoop of either chocolate protein powder or cacoa powder into the nutribullet. It's delicious and it's my post-lsr treat :)

Then after i stretch & shower i have a proper breakfast such as scrambled egg or toast with lashings of 100% peanut butter yum :D

On a similar topic at what stage should we start fueling on long runs? I did 90 mins on an empty stomach on Saturday and i felt perfectly fine at the end but i vaguely remember reading that after 90 mins the body need fuel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Chocolate milk for me too.
    Also after a LSR I would soak my legs in a cold bath for 10 mins which helped aid recovery from the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Need some advice folks. I've had second thoughts on the plan to go with. I had developed my own but there's a good few here from what I read doing the HH Novice plans.

I've at least 3 wedding between now and October so I've had to amend them to schedule them in

any feedback on these would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    Immediately after the LSR i always throw some milk, a banana and a scoop of either chocolate protein powder or cacoa powder into the nutribullet. It's delicious and it's my post-lsr treat :)

Then after i stretch & shower i have a proper breakfast such as scrambled egg or toast with lashings of 100% peanut butter yum :D

On a similar topic at what stage should we start fueling on long runs? I did 90 mins on an empty stomach on Saturday and i felt perfectly fine at the end but i vaguely remember reading that after 90 mins the body need fuel?

Totally agree with this. Get something quick (shake or protein milk), shower, then a 'proper' breakfast.

There's a lot of focus on protein after a long run, and yes, its very important to repair the damage done to the various muscles & fibers from the constant pounding but Carbs are also required to refill the glycogen stores.

You'll read a lot of recommendations that a 4:1 carb/protein ration is adequate or its a 2:1 ratio - the nutrition debate is ongoing , but what is noted above is perfect. (just bear in mind the tips on making the eggs from HBS in an earlier post :) )

There is a time window where your body is primed for taking in all this recovery fuel - typically 20-60 mins - heres a good article that goes into it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've been reading the thread, but not posting, as I've not been running for the last couple of weeks and wasn't sure if I was going to do the training, never mind the marathon. I did a 5 mile run in England two weeks ago and struggled to breathe, it was 25 degrees and humid, but even so, I walked most of it. It was a tough trail run, but I then did a short relay 3 days later, a half mile, and I couldn't even run 200 metres without struggling.

I think it was a combination of hay fever and asthma, so had a GP check last week, my peak flow was low, new inhaler and nasal spray prescribed and waiting for blood results. I did my first run this evening, only did 2.6 miles but felt much, much better, so will carry on now :)

I want to do the Dublin Rock n Roll on 13th August, in the boards plan, that weekend has a 14m LSR, the HH has a 12 m LSR, so it should fit in OK? Or would I be better doing the 10K Rock n Roll and fitting my LSR in on another day during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

There is a time window where your body is primed for taking in all this recovery fuel - typically 20-60 mins - heres a good article that goes into it a bit more.

Thanks for that, its a really good read

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Belated congrats on the parkrun PB :) great to see improvements already, the difference some structure can make! You don't say here how long your strides are? (e.g. 5 x 100m)

Thank you. They were 5x 100m. SDCC just recently built a brand new 100m footpath about 2 minutes walk from my front door. It couldn't be more perfect, totally flat and just at the perfect position. I finish my runs about 600m or so from my house and walk from there to cool down, so by the time I get to that path I'm cooled down and ready for the strides. It's to link a pedestrian crossing with a bus stop so there's never any pedestrians on it either.

I think they built it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

In other news, some evenings are wet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ Some mornings too. I got drownded on Monday's run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

You can only get wet once!
    On a more serious note....the dreaded chaffing in the rain.....I was putting surgical tape on places where I thought I would never need surgical tape on the wetter runs last year!
    quickbeam wrote: »
    ^^ Some mornings too. I got drownded on Monday's run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

You can only get wet once! On a more serious note....the dreaded chaffing in the rain.....I was putting surgical tape on places where I thought I would never need surgical tape on the wetter runs last year!

Vaseline or Bodyglide. There's some places tape won't stick and I ain't shaving to make sure it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's 'chafing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Vaseline or Bodyglide. There's some places tape won't stick and I ain't shaving to make sure it does.

I'm using Century Riding Cream Sportique. I don't ride horses so I must have bought it in some running store.

Last time I trained for the marathon, every week after my LSR I'd discover yet another new patch of chafed skin. By race day I was practically covered head to toe in cream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Early morning in the gym. Unfortunately a necessity for me if I want to be able to run 26.2. It really isn't something I enjoy and I'm counting down the number of sessions I have to do.....

Early morning in the gym. Unfortunately a necessity for me if I want to be able to run 26.2. It really isn't something I enjoy and I'm counting down the number of sessions I have to do.....

Are you strength & conditioning in the gym or treadmill :confused:

If s&c i'd love more details :)

I do a 1.5 hr yoga class every week but not sure if this is the best use of my time in terms of s&c & injury prevention :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I do a 1.5 hr yoga class every week but not sure if this is the best use of my time in terms of s&c & injury prevention :confused:

Howdy, It's strength stuff I got from a physio, mainly involves a lot of squats, lunges and deadlift type exercises with some core work thrown in. A lot of it is targeting my hamstrings as they were weak, but Its specifically tailored for distance running. I was told 3 sessions a week but I only do two, can definitely feel the benefit. Feel free to pm if you want details.

Yoga is great - Pilates may be better, but yoga is certainly a good way of keeping the muscles supple etc.

Adding simple body weight excercises twice a week is good enough.

Howdy, It's strength stuff I got from a physio, mainly involves a lot of squats, lunges and deadlift type exercises with some core work thrown in. A lot of it is targeting my hamstrings as they were weak, but Its specifically tailored for distance running. I was told 3 sessions a week but I only do two, can definitely feel the benefit. Feel free to pm if you want details.

Thanks HJ. Its my core and glutes that need strengthening. I just need to dedicate the time :rolleyes:
    Yoga is great - Pilates may be better, but yoga is certainly a good way of keeping the muscles supple etc.

Adding simple body weight excercises twice a week is good enough.

That links look good. I'll try to incorporate some of those exercises. Would you do them as a session in their own right or would it be ok to do them after say an easy run?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Hi all, I've watched this thread other years and always said that one year I would join it too. I'm jogging ( too slow to call running) a few times a week trying to get myself ready to kick-off the marathon training plan. Will make a decision one way or another in next week. In the meantime could anyone take a picture of the training plans - my firewall at work blocks google docs.

NEVERMIND - I found it a few pages back as an attachment

Thanks HJ. Its my core and glutes that need strengthening. I just need to dedicate the time :rolleyes:

That links look good. I'll try to incorporate some of those exercises. Would you do them as a session in their own right or would it be ok to do them after say an easy run?

After an easy run would be fine.

• Advertisement

Need some advice folks. I've had second thoughts on the plan to go with. I had developed my own but there's a good few here from what I read doing the HH Novice plans.

I've at least 3 wedding between now and October so I've had to amend them to schedule them in

any feedback on these would be great

I forgot for a second that you were doing these in kms!

I'm leaning towards the second of your alternative plans. If wherever you're staying has a gym, even a treadmill :) it might be nice to do an easy bit of cross the morning after the wedding if time allows. Plus you're not having too many consecutive days of inactivitity; as the big day draws closer, this will be important.

Advertisement