Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks as always to my dedicated and ever helpful collaborators. Your advice and tips are greatly appreciated :)

Plans for next week as follows (no more double figure LSRs :eek:)

HHN1: Rest + 4M easy + 6M easy + 3M easy + rest + 8M LSR + cross

Boards: (Rest/cross/3M rec) + 3M easy + 4M easy + (4M PMP w/6 x 100m strides) + (rest/cross/3M rec) + 8M LSR + (rest/cross/3M rec)

Best of luck! I'll leave you with this

Right - main message tomorrow - "dont take unnecessary risks" :)

The next 2 weeks are about making it to the start line and not been too sluggish.
    Its important to keep the same training cycle this week, just do less mileage.

DO NOT think you an take the week off - that's the wrong thing to do.

Do take your easy runs very easy, no point pushing it.

This week is about recovering the body, healing the various tears that each muscle has - protein and sleep are big helpers for this.
    If you want to aid this recovery - eat more chicken & eggs, eat when you want - weight gain is normal during a taper, especially for a novice.

Don't too anything too taxing this week coming, just follow the plan - I know its still 2 weeks away, but damage can be done.

I find it useful to write down where you've come from at the start of the training plan and look at where you are now.
    Focus on the gains over the whole plan rather than the last few weeks.

Here's another few wise words for you from a very experienced coach.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/dont-taper-peak/

If anyone wants any specific advice, feel free to send me a private message on Boards - And I mean that, don't feel in any way intimidated or 'fear that your bothering me' or whatever.
    I was in your shoes.
    My 1st marathon was 4:05 (or 3:65 in my eyes :) ). I was a Novice once - and I still fear marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

5m done tonight. Easy pace but slightly quicker than Fridays 3m. Really enjoyed it :) Knee was ok :) Feel my confidence returning :)

Just wondering though obviously I didn't do this weekend's 14 miler. I am thinking of doing 10m on Wednesday? I know we're not supposed to chase miles but I feel I need the confidence boost right now of getting to 10 miles. Next weekend there is 8m in the plan so I could cut that to 6m if needs be but I'd love to get a 10m in. Wise or not???

PS. I need the confidence boost that my knee will hold up, it's not that I'm worried about the training.

ariana` wrote: »
    5m done tonight. Easy pace but slightly quicker than Fridays 3m. Really enjoyed it :) Knee was ok :) Feel my confidence returning :)

Just wondering though obviously I didn't do this weekend's 14 miler. I am thinking of doing 10m on Wednesday? I know we're not supposed to chase miles but I feel I need the confidence boost right now of getting to 10 miles. Next weekend there is 8m in the plan so I could cut that to 6m if needs be but I'd love to get a 10m in. Wise or not???

I think its wise, but ONLY if you do it slow'ish.

From a physiological standpoint, there's not too much to be gained from anything longer than that, but Wednesday might work out ok.

Maybe also consider doing 8-9 miles and then doing 10x20second strides with a full minute in between each stride.
    Strides are a runners secret weapon - few do it - but they fire the fast twitch fibres when the slow twitch are 'tired'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Right - main message tomorrow - "dont take unnecessary risks" :)

The next 2 weeks are about making it to the start line and not been too sluggish.
    Its important to keep the same training cycle this week, just do less mileage.

DO NOT think you an take the week off - that's the wrong thing to do.

Do take your easy runs very easy, no point pushing it.

This week is about recovering the body, healing the various tears that each muscle has - protein and sleep are big helpers for this.
    If you want to aid this recovery - eat more chicken & eggs, eat when you want - weight gain is normal during a taper, especially for a novice.

Don't too anything too taxing this week coming, just follow the plan - I know its still 2 weeks away, but damage can be done.

I find it useful to write down where you've come from at the start of the training plan and look at where you are now.
    Focus on the gains over the whole plan rather than the last few weeks.

Here's another few wise words for you from a very experienced coach.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/dont-taper-peak/

If anyone wants any specific advice, feel free to send me a private message on Boards - And I mean that, don't feel in any way intimidated or 'fear that your bothering me' or whatever.
    I was in your shoes.
    My 1st marathon was 4:05 (or 3:65 in my eyes :) ). I was a Novice once - and I still fear marathons.

Thanks so much. You have been immense for everyone on this thread and I think I speak for all of us in saying this. You have been invaluable to us all. Also to WW, his advice and encouragement have been inspiring particularly knowing he was in our shoes 12 months ago, fought the demons of injury and is here 12 months later still loving his running. Kudos to you both and to all the other experienced runners, too many to mention, who have added value to the thread. I hope I don't offend anyone by not remembering all names but thanks to scotindublin, Testostercone, hotbutteredscones, unthought known, the black oil, the muppet etc

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. You have been immense for everyone on this thread and I think I speak for all of us in saying this. You have been invaluable to us all. Also to WW, his advice and encouragement have been inspiring particularly knowing he was in our shoes 12 months ago, fought the demons of injury and is here 12 months later still loving his running. Kudos to you both and to all the other experienced runners, too many to mention, who have added value to the thread. I hope I don't offend anyone by not remembering all names but thanks to scotindublin, Testostercone, hotbutteredscones, unthought known, the black oil etc

Thanks for that - WW has the hard job - he HAS to post regularly, we just weigh in every now and then.
    I'm in awe of people like WW for what they give to running - a lot of you dont see his Park Run contributions. He's a real running hero.

Thanks so much. You have been immense for everyone on this thread and I think I speak for all of us in saying this. You have been invaluable to us all. Also to WW, his advice and encouragement have been inspiring particularly knowing he was in our shoes 12 months ago, fought the demons of injury and is here 12 months later still loving his running. Kudos to you both and to all the other experienced runners, too many to mention, who have added value to the thread. I hope I don't offend anyone by not remembering all names but thanks to scotindublin, Testostercone, hotbutteredscones, unthought known, the black oil etc
    Here here. Hope we get to raise a glass to this sentiment on the 29th :)

Here here. Hope we get to raise a glass to this sentiment on the 29th :)

Yes - McGrattans - I drink Guinness. By the bucket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great news! Delighted for you.

Yes - McGrattans - I drink Guinness. By the bucket. :D

You'll need a bucket load if you're still there when we finish!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

+1 to this. It's amazing how people give up their time to help strangers. It's 100% appreciated.

I'm liking AMK's thinking. I'm going for 2:119:59 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

+1 To what AMK has said don't be afraid to shoot off a PM to me if you any questions.

It has been great to be a small part of this journey that you have been on.

You have made the sacrifices and put in the hard work almost time for your reward.....I am really looking forward to the epic race reports in 2 weeks!

+1 To what AMK has said don't be afraid to shoot off a PM to me if you any questions.

It has been great to be a small part of this journey that you have been on.

You have made the sacrifices and put in the hard work almost time for your reward.....I am really looking forward to the epic race reports in 2 weeks!

I've read lots of last years reports. It's almost as intimidating as running 26.2 miles to come up with the quality of those reports. Some of them make the hairs stand on the back of your neck.

leesider77 wrote: »
    +1 to this. It's amazing how people give up their time to help strangers. It's 100% appreciated.

I'm really a 75 year old man from Arkansas. Never ran in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks so much. You have been immense for everyone on this thread and I think I speak for all of us in saying this. You have been invaluable to us all. Also to WW, his advice and encouragement have been inspiring particularly knowing he was in our shoes 12 months ago, fought the demons of injury and is here 12 months later still loving his running. Kudos to you both and to all the other experienced runners, too many to mention, who have added value to the thread. I hope I don't offend anyone by not remembering all names but thanks to scotindublin, Testostercone, hotbutteredscones, unthought known, the black oil, the muppet etc

Here, here could not agree more thank you all so much

Ariana delighted your run went so well today fx no more issues for any of us

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm really a 75 year old man from Arkansas. Never ran in my life.

I did wonder. The fake strava profile was a great addition. But when I read your Guinness comment I knew you were real ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 18 of 20 for me:
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday am: 5m @ 8.40
    Tuesday pm: 5.36m @ 9.50
    Wednesday: 45 min training in an altitude chamber at a local gym. Not overly sure what benefit, if any, this could be for the marathon but wanted to try it out of curiosity. Was tough but enjoyable - have never sweated so much in my life. Combination of treadmill and exercise bikes. Not sure if I'll do it again this Wednesday, but definitely wont the following week.
    Thurs: rest
    Friday: 14m @ 8.42. Very wet out but was still pretty warm. Actually really enjoyed running in that type of weather. Did 10m @ pace between 8.45 and 9.00, decided to stretch out for a bit and did 2 m @ about 7.55. finished with 2m back at 8.50. Felt fine after and last longish run done.
    Saturday: 'rest'. Went to Liverpool for a match so no running but not really rest.
    Sunday: 4.17m @ 8.32

Overall 28.3m and that altitude session. Two weeks taper now with mainly short runs and rest. Gonna try eat plenty of protein this week if possible

Baby75 wrote: »
    Here, here could not agree more thank you all so much

Ariana delighted your run went so well today f2f no more issues for any of us

We're on the home stretch now thank god so fingers Xed. Damo any progress for you?

I think its wise, but ONLY if you do it slow'ish.

From a physiological standpoint, there's not too much to be gained from anything longer than that, but Wednesday might work out ok.

Maybe also consider doing 8-9 miles and then doing 10x20second strides with a full minute in between each stride.
    Strides are a runners secret weapon - few do it - but they fire the fast twitch fibres when the slow twitch are 'tired'.

Thanks. I will do it slow. To be honest slow/easy suits me cos it's time on my feet and not pace that i am testing at this stage. I just feel i need to test the knee to 10m. If it holds up i will feel more confident toeing the line. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Got my last LSR done on Saturday, 20miles. It was horrible... I suffered from the dreaded nipple rash from about an hour in resulting in thin red streaks for 2 hrs. TWO HOURS. Generally felt uncomfortable too, never really settling into it. However on looking at the run in hindsight, I managed 20miles in a handful of minutes over the 3 hour mark, including a strong 2nd hour. Was slowing towards the end, and didn't have much left, but if I pace myself better, and rely on clothing I know I like rather than the new top I wore on Saturday, I'll be better for it.

Got my last LSR done on Saturday, 20miles. It was horrible... I suffered from the dreaded nipple rash from about an hour in resulting in thin red streaks for 2 hrs. TWO HOURS. Generally felt uncomfortable too, never really settling into it. However on looking at the run in hindsight, I managed 20miles in a handful of minutes over the 3 hour mark, including a strong 2nd hour. Was slowing towards the end, and didn't have much left, but if I pace myself better, and rely on clothing I know I like rather than the new top I wore on Saturday, I'll be better for it.

Ouch !!!! I came home after my run and nearly burnt my sports bra :mad: Time for a new plan for marathon day!!!

I assume well I hope as a complete novice what I am experiencing this morning is normal and to be expected! :eek:

But I've woken with lots of doubts, scared I won't be able to do it or worse have a horrible run, I felt so much better after my run yesterday but now doubts have crept in, that maybe I have not done enough that I am only fit enough to run 20km, I am at a loss on how to pace myself for it, I really thought after the Half marathon which besides the messing about at the start line once I got going I really enjoyed and was delighted with my time 2hrs 11 using calculators for predicting your race finish time all give me around 4.34 to 4.37 after the 3/4 marathon I have my doubts I struggled that day.

Do I possible stick with the 4hr 40 pacers and at a certain point move ahead of them but when would be the best time to do that or do I go with the 4.30 but let them go ahead and then reach a point and reel them in or stick behind them all the way keeping them in my sights

or forget all that and see how I go :confused: I am certain this is not my last marathon LOL I will want to do better next year

I am sorry for my slight negativity, I feel like all of a sudden I have run out of time:eek: is this the taper madness so many speak of LOL any advice would be great appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

We're on the home stretch now thank god so fingers Xed. Damo any progress for you?

Knee seems to start acting up around 2-3 miles in, no matter what pace im holding. I thought the physio was tomorrow but turns out its on wednesday, so will update then!

I'm trying to set up a table where we can post our predicted times and then fill in finishing times after the big day. It has been done on previous years threads. This is new to me but I'll get a handle on it. Anyone who wants to put their name on the table just try it. In order to do so, reply to the last post with the table, remove everything from the post except the table and all the other users info it contains, and add a new line with [number]|[name]|[target-time]|. Or just post your details and I will try to add you to the table. I'm learning as I go along. The | is not to be left out. Brackets are not needed. Patience please, I don't even know if a table will appear when I submit this post!!

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 | 03:59:59 |

Yay!!!! Go me!!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Ouch, i know how that feels!
    What are you planning to wear on the day? You dont want to have the same issue an hour in to the marathon, it will make you lose focus and could put some doubt im your mind.

I personally use BodyGlide, but, a big but, i also wear a UA heatgear compression top. I find bogyglide great, but did sweat it off in the FD10 when i didnt wear the compression top. You can probably work out what the result was.
    I know scotindublin uses tape, but you really wanted to test that out before the big day.

While were talking about chafing......my other tip for those hard to reach places (again, you work it out) is Skin Shield http://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Accessories/Accessories/Ultimate-Performance-Skin-Shield/p/000000000001047186 . Its a roll on so much quicker and easier to apply.

Well done on the 20 miles though. The fact you got through a pretty tough run will stand to you mentally on the day. The taper and the crowd will get you through those extra 6 miles.

Yay!!!! Go me!!!! lol

Big thanks to hillside runner from last years thread for her help. Greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

100% confirmed with a dose of Taper Madness! It is only natural that some doubts are going to creep in.....what you are about to do is put yourself into the unknown.....nobody really knows what is going to happen on the day....will you feel a bit off; will the weather gods be against you?

There are so many factors to consider! One thing though that can't be taken away is and I am saying this to all of you....there won't be many better prepared novices toeing the line in 13 days!!

You will do this look at the effort that you have put in over the last few months....we are all rooting for everyone of you.....it will go better for some than others but you will get through it! When the going gets tough think of all the people who would love to be where you are.

Put The 3/4 out of your head remember you were running this on tired legs....taper will allow your legs time to recover and they will be fresh on marathon day.

AMK may answer the pacing better than me....but psychologically it sounds better to go with 4.40 and pull away than go with 4.30 and watch the pacers head off into the distance ( I can speak from experience on this).

I think in general we can all be very tough on ourselves and don't give ourselves enough credit for what we can do.....the day itself is going to be epic!!

Plenty of positivity....you have got this....."Trust the plan".

C

Baby75 wrote: »
    I assume well I hope as a complete novice what I am experiencing this morning is normal and to be expected! :eek:

But I've woken with lots of doubts, scared I won't be able to do it or worse have a horrible run, I felt so much better after my run yesterday but now doubts have crept in, that maybe I have not done enough that I am only fit enough to run 20km, I am at a loss on how to pace myself for it, I really thought after the Half marathon which besides the messing about at the start line once I got going I really enjoyed and was delighted with my time 2hrs 11 using calculators for predicting your race finish time all give me around 4.34 to 4.37 after the 3/4 marathon I have my doubts I struggled that day.

Do I possible stick with the 4hr 40 pacers and at a certain point move ahead of them but when would be the best time to do that or do I go with the 4.30 but let them go ahead and then reach a point and reel them in or stick behind them all the way keeping them in my sights

or forget all that and see how I go :confused: I am certain this is not my last marathon LOL I will want to do better next year

I am sorry for my slight negativity, I feel like all of a sudden I have run out of time:eek: is this the taper madness so many speak of LOL any advice would be great appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 | 03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam | 05:59:59 |

Target subject to change.

Advertisement