Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 | 03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam | 05:59:59 |

Target subject to change.

Brilliant! It works!! We can add race numbers after the expo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Brilliant! It works!! We can add race numbers after the expo.

I did wonder how you had your race number already and had a brief panic about where mine was. Then the taper fog lifted and I realised. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

@Baby75, I forgot to mention it in my log update, but if you had asked me how I was feeling during one of my weekend runs I'd have said I'm going to be in pain from mile 2 onwards. Even though I've been injury free and ran DCM last year...

It is the taper madness. Re pacers and starting out, head out conservatively. I went out with the 4:10s last year, thought after 11 miles I could catch up with the 4 hr lads - eh, nope. Then I fell behind the 4:10s (finished 4:17:23). This year I'll out with the 4:10s again, but I'll stick with them until at least mile 20, likely even mile 23. Even if you do go with the 4:40s they might bring you in a minute or two under e.g. last year's 4:10s finished in ~4:08, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

100% confirmed with a dose of Taper Madness! It is only natural that some doubts are going to creep in.....what you are about to do is put yourself into the unknown.....nobody really knows what is going to happen on the day....will you feel a bit off; will the weather gods be against you?

There are so many factors to consider! One thing though that can't be taken away is and I am saying this to all of you....there won't be many better prepared novices toeing the line in 13 days!!

You will do this look at the effort that you have put in over the last few months....we are all rooting for everyone of you.....it will go better for some than others but you will get through it! When the going gets tough think of all the people who would love to be where you are.

Put The 3/4 out of your head remember you were running this on tired legs....taper will allow your legs time to recover and they will be fresh on marathon day.

AMK may answer the pacing better than me....but psychologically it sounds better to go with 4.40 and pull away than go with 4.30 and watch the pacers head off into the distance ( I can speak from experience on this).

I think in general we can all be very tough on ourselves and don't give ourselves enough credit for what we can do.....the day itself is going to be epic!!

Plenty of positivity....you have got this....."Trust the plan".

C

Thank you so much, I was hoping it was normal novice fear creeping in :) I think I will post that all over my house ''trust the plan''

On the pacers and pacing, I know what you mean I felt my heart sink when they passed me at the 3/4 at least I know what not to do from that day and I guess a positive from it is I got through it when I hit the wall and was able to increase the pace over the last 2 or so KM I did not think my legs would have it in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    I assume well I hope as a complete novice what I am experiencing this morning is normal and to be expected! :eek:

But I've woken with lots of doubts, scared I won't be able to do it or worse have a horrible run, I felt so much better after my run yesterday but now doubts have crept in, that maybe I have not done enough that I am only fit enough to run 20km, I am at a loss on how to pace myself for it, I really thought after the Half marathon which besides the messing about at the start line once I got going I really enjoyed and was delighted with my time 2hrs 11 using calculators for predicting your race finish time all give me around 4.34 to 4.37 after the 3/4 marathon I have my doubts I struggled that day.

Do I possible stick with the 4hr 40 pacers and at a certain point move ahead of them but when would be the best time to do that or do I go with the 4.30 but let them go ahead and then reach a point and reel them in or stick behind them all the way keeping them in my sights

or forget all that and see how I go :confused: I am certain this is not my last marathon LOL I will want to do better next year

I am sorry for my slight negativity, I feel like all of a sudden I have run out of time:eek: is this the taper madness so many speak of LOL any advice would be great appreciated
    Baby 75 I hear you and feel your pain. My moods are all over the shop. I go between feeling confident, excited and ready to feeling petrified and completely unprepared. I only ran twice last week, 3m and 5m, and it feels like I haven't run in months and suddenly starting to panic that I could even manage 10 miles never mind 26.2m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I assume well I hope as a complete novice what I am experiencing this morning is normal and to be expected! :eek:

But I've woken with lots of doubts, scared I won't be able to do it or worse have a horrible run, I felt so much better after my run yesterday but now doubts have crept in, that maybe I have not done enough that I am only fit enough to run 20km, I am at a loss on how to pace myself for it, I really thought after the Half marathon which besides the messing about at the start line once I got going I really enjoyed and was delighted with my time 2hrs 11 using calculators for predicting your race finish time all give me around 4.34 to 4.37 after the 3/4 marathon I have my doubts I struggled that day.

Do I possible stick with the 4hr 40 pacers and at a certain point move ahead of them but when would be the best time to do that or do I go with the 4.30 but let them go ahead and then reach a point and reel them in or stick behind them all the way keeping them in my sights

or forget all that and see how I go :confused: I am certain this is not my last marathon LOL I will want to do better next year

I am sorry for my slight negativity, I feel like all of a sudden I have run out of time:eek: is this the taper madness so many speak of LOL any advice would be great appreciated

Great post - you are feeling what 99% of the folks on this forum are feeling - me included.
    We all ask ourselves "Have we done enough"? - go back over your training and you'll find that you have done enough.

The 3/4 marathon may have actually done you a favour - because you now know what 'tough' feels like - and you seen it through.

You may have walked a bit - you may have thought about quitting - but you seen it through. You are tougher than you know - ScotinDublin put it very well in his post.

So - when things get tough out there - and they will - remember the feeling from the 3/4, that was hard and you toughed it out (without the '000s of cheering supporters) and remember crossing the line - and remember your family waiting for you at the finish line - proud as punch of You.

Regarding pacing - Have an A, B & C goal for different times.
    There is nothing worse than seeing a pace group go by you or leave you for dust (happened to me) - so plan for that - what are you going to do when that pace group leaves you - how do you cope with the mind games that comes with that.
    If you have a plan for it - and if the pacers go by you - well thats OK - you've planned for it - Smile and move onto Goal B.

I agree to go with the 4:40's and try to stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

@Baby75, I forgot to mention it in my log update, but if you had asked me how I was feeling during one of my weekend runs I'd have said I'm going to be in pain from mile 2 onwards. Even though I've been injury free and ran DCM last year...

It is the taper madness. Re pacers and starting out, head out conservatively. I went out with the 4:10s last year, thought after 11 miles I could catch up with the 4 hr lads - eh, nope. Then I fell behind the 4:10s (finished 4:17:23). This year I'll out with the 4:10s again, but I'll stick with them until at least mile 20, likely even mile 23. Even if you do go with the 4:40s they might bring you in a minute or two under e.g. last year's 4:10s finished in ~4:08, iirc.
    Sorry black oil..the 4:10 pacers last year came in at 4:09:39; 4:09:39 and 4:09:4 which is perfect job..if they came in at 4:08 last year they would not be pacing this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just switching on the laptop here. I’ll see can I make a copy of that paceband and see what you think of the paces. I’ve it set up for 4:25 currently and the paces look very reasonable to me in it. Do you want to send me your email address?
    ariana` wrote: »
    Baby 75 I hear you and feel your pain. My moods are all over the shop. I go between feeling confident, excited and ready to feeling petrified and completely unprepared. I only ran twice last week, 3m and 5m, and it feels like I haven't run in months and suddenly starting to panic that I could even manage 10 miles never mind 26.2m.

Ariana, you have done all the work and your body will feel tired now anyway but just use this time for recovery and you’ll be great on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |

A goal = get to start line
    B goal = 03:59:59
    C goal = finish in 1(ish) piece.

(Nice one skyblue!)

12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |

Goal A) Run more then 3 miles without my knee seizing up :)
    Goal B) Enjoy the whole thing without worrying about an injury!
    Goal C) Run it sub 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |

Goal A) Get to the finish line.
    Goal B) 5 hours.
    Goal C) 4h 30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I can't seem to do the table on my phone but next time I'm on the laptop I'll do it. Thanks skyblue for setting it up. I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks now!!

Ariana I'm glad I'm not alone but hang in there

Auldmanking thanks so much, I felt a little foolish posting but I'm so glad I did now, it's a relief to know its normal to have these doubts and the little bit of unknown plays on your mind when you know you will be running more than you ever have in training makes me really think about pacing on the day.
    I'll work on my plan A,B,C and backup plan
    I feel better now and taking on board that legs will be fresh and rested on the day so it will feel a little easier.

It's taking me ages to reply our electricity is out so I'm on my phone . I hope everyone is keeping safe today loads of damage and trees down where I live.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just switching on the laptop here. I’ll see can I make a copy of that paceband and see what you think of the paces. I’ve it set up for 4:25 currently and the paces look very reasonable to me in it. Do you want to send me your email address?

Ariana, you have done all the work and your body will feel tired now anyway but just use this time for recovery and you’ll be great on the day.

Yes please I'll try pm it to you my internet on my phone keeps hoping in and out so it make take a while lol

ariana` wrote: »
    I can't seem to do the table on my phone but next time I'm on the laptop I'll do it. Thanks skyblue for setting it up. I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks now!!

Neither can I on my phone it will be tomorrow before I can I think with power out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hiya. I'll be pacing 4:40 along with younganne from these parts too and another very experienced Anne. Two Annes for the price of one :D You won't know the best time until on the day but we will be checking in with everyone to see where you're at / how you're feeling on the day and we'll be happy to advise along the way when the best time to push on is.

Definitely start with us as the first half can catch people out. The Phoenix Park doesn't seem like it is taking as much out of you as it can be, and the descent after it can cause issues later too if you hit it too fast. Conservative and comfortable would be your best approach.

Probably somewhere around Fosters Ave / UCD would be the ideal time to take off and bank a couple of minutes if you have it in you. That's 4.5 miles out. But if you're feeling great before then you could push on a bit earlier. Either way we'll look after you really well and have a bit of craic along the way.

Don't worry at all about the 3/4. As AMK said it showed you that you can tough it out. It's come at the peak of training and tiredness. The taper will have you a lot more energised for the big day and there is NOTHING like the support the crowd on the DCM route brings. The wall of sound at Castleknock will raise hairs on your neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

conti wrote: »
    I don't use the soft gel packets myself but to give you any idea of the size, there are 2 water-proof zipped storage areas. One side easily fits my phone which is quite large (Pixel XL), and in the right my keys and two 37ml silicone containers (pictured).

If all you're carrying are gels I imagine you'd squeeze a good few in there, at a rough guess maybe 4-6 per side.

https://imgur.com/BJoKO1D
    BJoKO1D

have a look at this. Irish company offering quality gear. http://fluxathletic.com/shop/flux-athletic-double-pocket-belt/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hiya. I'll be pacing 4:40 along with younganne from these parts too and another very experienced Anne. Two Annes for the price of one :D You won't know the best time until on the day but we will be checking in with everyone to see where you're at / how you're feeling on the day and we'll be happy to advise along the way when the best time to push on is.

Definitely start with us as the first half can catch people out. The Phoenix Park doesn't seem like it is taking as much out of you as it can be, and the descent after it can cause issues later too if you hit it too fast. Conservative and comfortable would be your best approach.

Probably somewhere around Fosters Ave / UCD would be the ideal time to take off and bank a couple of minutes if you have it in you. That's 4.5 miles out. But if you're feeling great before then you could push on a bit earlier. Either way we'll look after you really well and have a bit of craic along the way.

Don't worry at all about the 3/4. As AMK said it showed you that you can tough it out. It's come at the peak of training and tiredness. The taper will have you a lot more energised for the big day and there is NOTHING like the support the crowd on the DCM route brings. The wall of sound at Castleknock will raise hairs on your neck!

Ahh - I forgot you and the 2 Annes were pacing 4:40 - great stuff!
    Pacing Mule is another legend from these parts - You are in good hands.

Just get him to smile a bit more.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ahh - I forgot you and the 2 Annes were pacing 4:40 - great stuff!
    Pacing Mule is another legend from these parts - You are in good hands.

Just get him to smile a bit more.........

Hahaha.

He speaks of this....

Wasn't feeling 100% on the day for pacing the 3/4 marathon and was clearly delighted to be there. I promise to be in better form for DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |

Kinda reluctant to put anything into this table tbh. That's what I'm hoping for but I really have no clue. Had more of a (misguided) clue before gaining some respect for the beast. I plan/hope to hit 13.1 in 1:59:59 ish and shave 2 mins off the second half, that's the dream anyway.

I'm also reluctant in case I do better than I predict and it looks like I'm sandbagging. Don't mind doing worse than predicted.

Lazare wrote: »

Kinda reluctant to put anything into this table tbh. That's what I'm hoping for but I really have no clue. Had more of a (misguided) clue before gaining some respect for the beast. I plan/hope to hit 13.1 in 1:59:59 ish and shave 2 mins off the second half, that's the dream anyway.

I'm also reluctant in case I do better than I predict and it looks like I'm sandbagging. Don't mind doing worse than predicted.

You think too much!! Ah I'll be changing my time downwards too. I just put that time in while I was testing if the table worked. As AMK and others have pointed out we all should have A, B and C goals with C in most cases being to safely get around. Probably best to use the target time as an A goal, the time that will be in your head on the start line and which will be the basis of your pacing strategy from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

12345 | skyblue46 |  03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |  05:59:59 |
    12352|Leesider|04:59:59|

Likewise I'm reluctant to put anything down considering I still haven't made it to a physio to check out my injury.
    But I guess I should think positive. My real goal is just to get to the start line with a positive frame of mind at this stage and just finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

There had to be one who would ruin the table ;-)

leesider77 wrote: »
    12352| Leesider | 04:59:59 |

I just saw it's something that has been done for years on the Novice thread.There is no need to fill it in if you're not ready to. It can be done the night before, if at all. There are lots of users of this thread, many are not posting, and as the day gets closer I suppose the table just paints a picture of what everyone is hoping for. I think it's useful as a resource if not to us right now. When I started here I looked back at the 2016 thread and saw how people fared on the day in relation to their target. That was when the **** got real for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Fixed table

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I just saw it's something that has been done for years on the Novice thread.There is no need to fill it in if you're not ready to. It can be done the night before, if at all. There are lots of users of this thread, many are not posting, and as the day gets closer I suppose the table just paints a picture of what everyone is hoping for. I think it's useful as a resource if not to us right now. When I started here I looked back at the 2016 thread and saw how people fared on the day in relation to their target. That was when the **** got real for me!

Must look at that. Interested to know whether people were bang on, faster or slower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |

Nice idea Skyblue hopefully I didn't mess this up.

A little reminder about this. Any lurkers out there feel free to join us. Mentors, resident brains trust and previous years novices most welcome of course.

I'll put this up here and refresh it from time to time over the next 4 days. 5/6 of us are hoping to meet on Saturday next, the 21st, in the Park for a leisurely 8m shuffle. Pace will be very gentle but if a few come there can always be different paces. It'd be nice to drop into the Tea Room for a coffee too. A last chance to put faces to names before the big day. No time set maybe a suggestion.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Must look at that. Interested to know whether people were bang on, faster or slower!

I looked mostly at the 4 hours and a good few missed it. That was when I realised that the day is tougher than I thought :eek:

Advertisement