Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone else getting a bit nervous reading last years race reports?? It looks like a lot of people really struggled and missed out on their goal times.

(May need to adjust my goal times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a bit nervous reading last years race reports?? It looks like a lot of people really struggled and missed out on their goal times.

Some will not be surprised to hear I have thoughts on this!! :pac:

However I'm running out the door to work. I'll definitely come back to this tonight.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

thunderdog wrote: »

Are you only getting nervous now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

El Caballo wrote: »
    There's only one to find out. Whatever happens on raceday, you guys will learn a ton from it and that will stand to you all hugely going forward. The first time you do anything is a learning experience and you will be much better prepared next time out. I know you guys have trained for months towards this race but try not to see this one as the end, it's a stepping stone.

This i like. Some of us may or may not run other marathons in the future but either way this is still a stepping stone to greater things at any distance, the endurance we have gained, the experience of following a plan which was totally new to some of us, the confidence we've gained from sticking out tough runs... these things will all stand to us, right :)

Are you only getting nervous now?!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Bib No.| ]Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|

I'm nervous about adding this time as i'd be over the moon just to finish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|

Really very undecided on goal at minute so this is an estimate just to get on the table.

I'm nervous about adding this time as i'd be over the moon just to finish it!

That's ok, that's a good goal too and probably a B. or C. goal for most of us. I'm trying not to focus too much on time but if i didn't have a time goal i'd probably take off like a race horse (a not very graceful one :rolleyes:) and then collapse before half-way, my time goal is just to keep me at a more achievable pace. I just want to finish it and I'd love to finish strong and smiling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|

Decision made. Cant go back on it no if its in the table:p

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    That's ok, that's a good goal too and probably a B. or C. goal for most of us. I'm trying not to focus too much on time but if i didn't have a time goal i'd probably take off like a race horse (a not very graceful one :rolleyes:) and then collapse before half-way, my time goal is just to keep me at a more achievable pace. I just want to finish it and I'd love to finish strong and smiling :)

Ya, good idea. I'm going to have to force myself to take it handy for the opening few miles. I tend to literally get carried away by the crowd. Happened to me at the half marathon too and I was wrecked for the last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Something else for ye to consider, if you haven't already. It's probably been mentioned somewhere else already in amongst all the advice regarding pacing strategies and whatnot.

What are you going to wear for the race?

Have you done your LSRs in these clothes?

Reason I ask, there's nothing worse than trying to race in uncomfortable gear, not to mention if it's slowly cutting you to bits over a number of hours. This time around, I've tried wearing the same shorts and socks as I'll be wearing for DCM in the last number of runs. I'll be wearing my club singlet, which I've worn for numerous races, but which I never wear in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Race reports are brilliant thanks Scott for linking the table from last year. I'm sure 2018 novices will look at our table , looking at the table from 2016 I would of liked to know the PB's for other distances to get an idea of what it took to run them times. I wonder should we put in our times for other distances to make it easier for 2018 novices to follow.

Ya, I've been thinking of that Wubble.
    I'm going to be highly unoriginal and wear my half marathon t shirt from this year.
    I wore it for my 20 miles LSR and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Ok so my last week was only OK. I was so looking forward to taper I think I forgot there was still plenty of running to do and 14 miles is still a pretty long run!

Date Miles Time Pace
    Monday 09-Oct 6.35 1.02.11 9.48
    Wednesday 11-Oct 7.08 1.08.34 9.41
    Friday 13-Oct 5.13 49.39 9.41
    Sunday 15-Oct 14.03 2.24.24 10.18

Usually run on Sat but missed it this week as son was sick and in A&E fri night ( he is fine). Had to go Sunday which is usually my lie in and was just not looking forward to it. It was a tough boring 14 miles. Incidentally it was also my Birthday so I felt doubly cheated to be out running at 7.30am instead of a lie on and leisurely breakfast!!

Apart from that all is good. I don't think I have any injury worries so far so I am grateful for that reading what some of the others here are going through.
    And finally with just 2 weeks to go I learned how to use strava without syncing to my watch thanks to some advise from a wise friend! so that's good as I missed looking at the data each week.

doubts really creeping in now as even though I have the miles done my pacing has been all wrong, every last run too fast. Reading last years reports and times is sobering stuff. Still I can see nerves are affecting nearly everyone here so hoping its normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hi guys, I'm another former novice who's just popping in to wish you all well and throw in my 2c!
    As el caballo said (kind of!) your first marathon is just training for your next one! It is hard to know how you're going to do when you haven't done it before. Your training and previous races will give you an idea but it can all change on the day. I was badly trained for my first in 2014, but I took the advice on here and just aimed to cross the line with a smile which has I did (in 4:33). Then I did it again in 2016 in 3:58. The difference was far more miles in my legs and a proper training plan, but also knowing that I could run that far!
    So my advice is to enjoy the day. High five kids, chat to those around you, be greatful to be part of this amazing experience and cross the line with a smile. Then take everything you learnt and start planning for your next!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I was out for a drive on Saturday and I took this Pic......I still get Goosebumps when I see these signs ......and I not even doing the marathon this year! :eek:

This pic was taken just before Myo's pub in Castleknock (just after you come out of the Phoenix Park), where the atmosphere turns electric!

Yes folks, it's official the DCM is actually happening this year...

It's gonna be great......I am so proud of you random strangers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|

Yikes, going to say the same. would be delighted with anything under 3:35 being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi guys, can i just reassure you all that all these doubts are normal, the niggles are normal too, the body is repairing itself during the taper and the sluggish feeling is also normal.

A lot of you are doubting your training but can i just say that if you have followed the plans laid on here for you, then trust the training and START BELIEVING in yourself.

Start visualising yourself crossing the finishing line with a smile on your face and the sense of pure joy in your heart. yes it may get tough out there, but you have all had tough runs and survived. If the going gets tough, slow down get yourself refocused and then continue on. Time is not the goal in the first marathon and for a lot they don't realise this until its over. Soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the experience. You will all be chasing times for long enough.

Regarding pacing, pick your target, get yourself a pace band,(even if you intend going with pacers) Regarding pacing groups they can be very congested and some people like to run behind the big group but remember you have whatever time it takes you to cross the line behind your pacer to utilise at the finish line, so even if you start behind a pacer and stay with them the whole way, once you finish beside or slightly in front then you have that time.

and please don't forget to look up and take in the sights & sounds, watch out for Castleknock, it can actually be overwhelming if you are not prepared for it, but remember these people are out supporting you the runners . Read the signs along the way, there are some classics out there and high five the kids, it really makes for a great experience.

One sign that sticks in my mind is "look lively, there's a graveyard ahead":D

See some of you on the 4.40 party bus and remember to say hello!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Spelt my name wrong replying to a park run email. Taper madness is real. :pac:

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What is it about the day? Why do people who have done a 1:45 half reach halfway in 1:59 and be in trouble by mile 15? This is my big worry. They had done good lsrs of 20 miles but had problems before that distance at paces not appreciably faster. Does nervous energy drain you?

It's really interesting isn't it! I guess we all have bad runs/races and sometimes there's no accounting for it :confused: Nervous energy. Travelling for a marathon, nervous and not sleeping well the night(s) before in a hotel or other strange bed. Out of routine, not eating/drinking as normal the day before due to travel/hotel etc. Spending too long at the Expo. A long morning on the feet getting to the start and hanging around waiting to go. Peaking too early as already mentioned. Over doing it during the taper. Weather conditions on the day and not adjusting for them.

Lets just hope it doesn't happen to any of us on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

By the time you all cross that finish line on the 31st your last thoughts will be if you've hit your target time.

You will just be glad that the bloody thing is over

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

RasTa wrote: »
    By the time you all cross that finish line on the 31st your last thoughts will be if you've hit your target time.

You will just be glad that the bloody thing is over

I really hope nobody takes 2 days to finish :)

I really hope nobody takes 2 days to finish :)
    I better not or i'll miss my son's birthday, i'll never be forgiven :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sandy cap and shades surely J???

Something else for ye to consider, if you haven't already. It's probably been mentioned somewhere else already in amongst all the advice regarding pacing strategies and whatnot.

What are you going to wear for the race?

Have you done your LSRs in these clothes?

Reason I ask, there's nothing worse than trying to race in uncomfortable gear, not to mention if it's slowly cutting you to bits over a number of hours. This time around, I've tried wearing the same shorts and socks as I'll be wearing for DCM in the last number of runs. I'll be wearing my club singlet, which I've worn for numerous races, but which I never wear in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 16

Mon: 3.9m @ 8.18
    Tue: 3.8m @ 8.48
    Wed: 6.3m @ 8.20
    Thu: 3.8m @ 8.18
    Fri/Sat: rest
    Sun: LSR - 14.5 @ 8.21
    TOTAL: 32.5m

All good again this week; LSR was fine and it was a relief to 'only' have to do 14 miles.

While its strictly taper time, 30+ miles a week is hardly shabby so im not that worried about losing fitness. As many have said, rest and recovery is surely more important now. I know that's what my body is telling me anyway. Even though they are short 4m hops, my runs home from work are just feeling that little bit more of an ordeal now so i think the cumulative fatigue is finally starting to bite.

Psychologically, its a bit strange. So so looking forward to the day, yet everytime i even think of it the nervous tension/goosebumps/nausea kicks in and all of the what ifs start to float around my mind. The 'race day dropoff' that has been the topic of discussion for the last few pages is something that has been on my mind for weeks now (after i binge read the race reports from 2016/2017).

I haven't come up with an answer but i agree with most that its 90% psychological and only 10% physical; that being the case, ive been keeping in mind two central themes of a talk i heard from Pat Lam last year (we were lucky enough to get a 'leadership' talk from him in my office): Usually i am uber-cynical about all that management guff, but his explanation was incredibly convincing (to me at least so might be worth summarising):

1. Thought train - thoughts, words, actions, consequences: Basically, a variation on 'think positively' but he expressed in such a way that really hit home. Your thoughts have a direct effect on your words, which have a direct effect on your actions, and ultimately therefore on the consequences. Therefore your thoughts, words and actions have to be aligned with one another and have to be positive. He gave a great example that went like this: his great wish in life is - when he is older - is to be back at home, surrounded by his family, wife, kids, grandkids; that's the consequence he wants more than anything in life - so how do i get there, he asked - it doesn't just happen; he went on to say that like everyone, he occasionally has disagreements/arguments with his wife, everyone does; and from time to time, like everyone, he has negative thoughts towards her because of that; small things, but negative thoughts nonetheless - but he said that if he lets those thoughts in or fester, even the small ones, its more likely to result in him saying something unkind or uncaring to her (words); once that happens, its more likely he will do something unkind or uncaring (actions); and how is that likely to effect the consequence he wants? Negatively, of course.

So everything starts with your thoughts; keep them positive, and your words relating to that thought will be positive (when anyone asks me how the training is going, i always speak positively about it and about my prospects on the day); that i feel has had a direct impact on how i have performed in training. And i hope it will have a positive impact on the ultimate consequence.

Now, I'm no Pat Lam (in many ways!!) and ive probably butchered his message, but what i have found is that my constant internal re-inforcement of the central thought that i have done all the preparation and that i am well capable of finishing DCM in x.xx, has had a direct effect on my words, and on my actions and hopefully will result on the right consequence.

2. Process, process, process: You hear this all the time these days from players/managers and it usually just blurs into the background noise of after match interviews. But i can see how this thought process will be critical on the day. When (not if) the pain really kicks in at DCM, whether its mile 10,15, 20, or 25, i will just mentally go back to this. Fall back into the process that got me through endless 16, 20, and 22 milers; even if that means going slower, just crank back into the process, forget about the goal time, forget about the crowds, forget about the pints after and the enormity of it all, and just go back to basics and grind it out. Go back to the process.

Anyway, hope that helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

12363|conti| 03:19:59|

This will be my first marathon so feel free to laugh at my ambitious entry, now and after the race. I followed a training plan on the MapMyRun app and its prediction based on my training is during the plan is 3:11:27 – which I really don't see happening.

Every time I did a long run over 30km I got the dreaded “What the hell am I doing, thinking I can run a marathon?!” thoughts. I hit the wall few times, had to cut interval training short due to fatigue, missed one or 2 long runs, and for the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing some intermittent posterior tibial tendon pain. I did however make up some kms along the way where I felt I could do comfortably, e.g. running a 16km run when the plan called for a 12km so overall I do fell like I put in good training.

I’m now relying on the taper to bring some strength and endurance that I don’t know I have, even if not, I’m really enjoying the slower / shorter runs.

Given that, my goals are:
    A. 3:19:59
    B. 3:29:59
    C. Finish without injury / nervous breakdown and most of all, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|

A goal: 3.40.00 (or a couple of minutes quicker if i am feeling really good in last few miles)
    B goal: sub 3.50.00
    C goal: if i'm really not feeling it/in trouble, just slow down, finish, enjoy it as best i can and give myself a time to beat next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sandy cap and shades surely J???

I didn't think that headwear and eyewear would be as important :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

smashiner wrote: »
    I was out for a drive on Saturday and I took this Pic......I still get Goosebumps when I see these signs ......and I not even doing the marathon this year! :eek:

This pic was taken just before Myo's pub in Castleknock (just after you come out of the Phoenix Park), where the atmosphere turns electric!

Yes folks, it's official the DCM is actually happening this year...

It's gonna be great......I am so proud of you random strangers :D

Is it too soon to start with the good luck wishes??!! +1 to Smash's post, I get goosebumps seeing those sings too and thinking of you all on the 29th running your first marathon, so exciting! Have been dipping in and out following your progress.

Whatever else happens on the day folks enjoy yourselves, soak up the atmosphere and have the best first marathon you possibly can. You've done the work, try not to worry too much. You've had a ton of good advice from the Auld and the Wubbly (:D) and all that remains is to run 26.2 miles and then go for a well deserved pint! Hopefully see you all in McGrattans afterwards. There's usually a big boards crew in there towards the back bar, don't be afraid to ask 'are you from boards'. If they're not they won't know what you mean and it won't matter!

Wishing you all the very, very best of luck.

Advertisement