Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What is it about the day? Why do people who have done a 1:45 half reach halfway in 1:59 and be in trouble by mile 15? This is my big worry. They had done good lsrs of 20 miles but had problems before that distance at paces not appreciably faster. Does nervous energy drain you?

Good question , my own experience from last year, I had ran every run without real issue in training apart from a nightmare in the Fran Duffy but I recovered well from that. I trained for 4.30 pace , 10 :19 miles , I ran the half in 2 .10 quite comfortably so for the day I decided to drop back to 4.40 pacers, 2 X hm plus 20 mins thinking i would do that very comfortably.

I was very comfortable running at that pace up to 16 miles and then all of a sudden I stated to cramp in my legs at that pace , i'd never cramped before on runs nor since , I slowed down and got home just over 5 hrs .

I don't know why it happened, I did forgot to take zero tab so perhaps it was that, I was well fueled and watered.

Reading other reports I have noticed that its fairly common to run into problems around the 16 mile mark .

All that said because of this thread I was well equipped to handle anything that happen on the day and was never in any doubt of finishing . I saw a lot of people a lot younger than me in much worse trouble than I was.

All of you who have followed the plan are in condition to complete the marathon, trust the plan and enjoy the day, it's an amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Too right! This is my first marathon and I am going to relax and enjoy it!

I am easily pleased and don't have high standards but even if I was not - it's just a fact that whatever I do, as long as I finish, it's going to be a brand new PB. And it's also true that it doesn't make any difference to anyone - wife, kids, family or friends if I finish it in 3h or 6h. I am not aiming for Boston/London GFA results, I would still be a proud finisher if I finish it in 7 hours! DCM started six months ago, with hundreds of runs. This 29th is final run, but it's just another run. More of a celebratory fun run really, and there's water, spectators and photos. And a medal at the end, a souvnier for the things I got up to in the Summer of 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Conti and drkpower - what were your other race times if you don't mind me asking.? (10k, 10m, HM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I've done the majority of my training very slowly, usually 10:30/11:00 mins/mile.

My only race in the buildup was the frank Duffy which I covered in 82 mins. The McMillan calculator predicts a 3:51 marathon or thereabouts.

My goal all along was under 4 hrs so my plan is to go round with the 4hr pacers and see how I feel at 19 miles, if I feel good I plan to kick on and empty the tank over the last 10km.

Does that seem more reasonable/prudent than setting out at say 3:49 pace and trying to hold onall the way round?

I suppose there are two conflicting feelings here, I want to make sure I finish, but I don't want to cross the line thinking I could have done more...

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Conti and drkpower - what were your other race times if you don't mind me asking.? (10k, 10m, HM)

Sure, recorded these over the the summer:
    5k – 18:32 Grant Thornton Docklands
    10k – 39:09 SSE Fingal
    10m – 1:06:18 Roscommon
    HM – 1:26:15 SSE Donabate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is it too soon to start with the good luck wishes??!!

No, as long as you don't use theatre lingo to do so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

positron wrote: »
    Too right! This is my first marathon and I am going to relax and enjoy it!

I am easily pleased and don't have high standards but even if I was not - it's just a fact that whatever I do, as long as I finish, it's going to be a brand new PB. And it's also true that it doesn't make any difference to anyone - wife, kids, family or friends if I finish it in 3h or 6h. I am not aiming for Boston/London GFA results, I would still be a proud finisher if I finish it in 7 hours! DCM started six months ago, with hundreds of runs. This 29th is final run, but it's just another run. More of a celebratory fun run really, and there's water, spectators and photos. And a medal at the end, a souvnier for the things I got up to in the Summer of 2017.

Love this post :)

Another one of the many i'll be reminding myself of next week in the final hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I've done the majority of my training very slowly, usually 10:30/11:00 mins/mile.

My only race in the buildup was the frank Duffy which I covered in 82 mins. The McMillan calculator predicts a 3:51 marathon or thereabouts.

My goal all along was under 4 hrs so my plan is to go round with the 4hr pacers and see how I feel at 19 miles, if I feel good I plan to kick on and empty the tank over the last 10km.

Does that seem more reasonable/prudent than setting out at say 3:49 pace and trying to hold onall the way round?

I suppose there are two conflicting feelings here, I want to make sure I finish, but I don't want to cross the line thinking I could have done more...

Go with the 4 hour pacers. If you get to the top of Fosters and feel you can give it a go then you have a few miles to push on. A 3:57 like that will feel a hell of a lot better than going out with the 3:50 guys and struggling for the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

conti wrote: »
    Sure, recorded these over the the summer:
    5k – 18:32 Grant Thornton Docklands
    10k – 39:09 SSE Fingal
    10m – 1:06:18 Roscommon
    HM – 1:26:15 SSE Donabate

And mine are (also pre- and over the summer)

5k – 20.59 Parkrun
    10k –  44.59 St Annes' Park race in the park series
    10m – 1:14:34 Battle of clontarf
    HM – 1:40.11 Dublin half - though did half in c. 1.39 in training

Now your turn ;-)

Personally i'd rather cross the line feeling i could have done more... so i know which option i'd go with :)

• Advertisement

Just had Physio. Still tightness in the back of the knee/ITB/Peroneals but not as bad as this day last week. Got the go ahead to do a short easy tonight and then try a 8-10 miler tomorrow. He agreed with my own thinking that i need to do a longish run even if it is mostly for my head at this stage. That will be my last longish run then. Back to him on Friday and then hopefully next Thursday for one last rub down of both legs before the big event :)

Hope all the other injured are doing ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It will be hard to get your times down during a 26.2 miles if you're doing your LSR's at that pace. Go out with the 4hrs and see where you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

drkpower wrote: »
    And mine are (also pre- and over the summer)

5k – 20.59 Parkrun
    10k – 44.59 St Annes' Park race in the park series
    10m – 1:14:34 Battle of clontarf
    HM – 1:40.11 Dublin half - though did half in c. 1.39 in training

Now your turn ;-)

5k - 20.20 docklands 5k
    10k - 41.56 Fingal 10k
    HM - 1.39.07 Donabate

Just wanted to gauge some times off my own when I seen your and Conti's target times were 10 mins either side of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was in a similar position last year. In the end I positioned myself between the 3:50 and 4 hour pacers. That was it wasn't too congested and I didn't feel under any pressure when I had to slow down a couple of times. I knew once the 4 hour pacers didn't pass me I'd be OK! The fear of being caught by the 4 hour pacers was a better incitement for me than the effort of trying to keep up with the 3:50s!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Just have to say I'm loving reading last year's race reports. I can almost predict people's race times by what part of the course they passed the Eiffel Tower guy.

I can't read them, they make me feel sick with nerves. Anybody else?

I remember reading them last year and getting goose bumps. They're the reason i'm here today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    I can't read them, they make me feel sick with nerves. Anybody else?

I remember reading them last year and getting goose bumps. They're the reason i'm here today :)

I've been reading them and they do make you feel nervous and excited and scared and...... Lol

So glad physio went well and good luck on your run tonight enjoy it 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

So at the start of the plan I printed off the spreadsheet of my training plan, and after every single run id tick the box, at the end of the week id fill in the total miles compared to the planned. Felt absolutely great hitting targets, ticking off the runs as they fly by not a bother. Now that the injurys arrived the ticks are dwindling, and so is the mileage compared to the planned :( Kind of gets to ya and puts doubts in your mind whether itll all fall apart on the big day.

Its either feeling on top of the world or breaking your heart this marathon training lark, but roll on the 29th!! You bunch of ledgends are the only ones getting me through this, if I mention running once more to herself or the family there will be nobody meeting me at the finish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    You bunch of ledgends are the only ones getting me through this, if I mention running once more to herself or the family there will be nobody meeting me at the finish :pac:

That's the great thing about this thread, you can waffle on about running all you want and people actually listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

drkpower wrote: »
    Week 16 2. Process, process, process: You hear this all the time these days from players/managers and it usually just blurs into the background noise of after match interviews. But i can see how this thought process will be critical on the day. When (not if) the pain really kicks in at DCM, whether its mile 10,15, 20, or 25, i will just mentally go back to this. Fall back into the process that got me through endless 16, 20, and 22 milers; even if that means going slower, just crank back into the process, forget about the goal time, forget about the crowds, forget about the pints after and the enormity of it all, and just go back to basics and grind it out. Go back to the process.

Anyway, hope that helps

I got a great tip from an a club vet(2:19 marathon best) a few years back which I found really helped me through the last few miles. It was to pick a short 2 or 3 mile loop you know from training, break down the race into that loop and visualise it and getting to the end of it. So if the pressure is on at 20 miles, focus on getting to 23 and then the finish. I found it really helpful to be honest as often and I'd presume I'm not alone in this, thoughts can drift towards thinking about what's left as an exaggeratedly large distance in your mind. Always found breaking down what is left and thinking about a familiar route of that distance that I've trained on hugely helpful to keep focused and ward off any discouragement I've felt once the pain starts to set in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Its either feeling on top of the world or breaking your heart this marathon training lark, but roll on the 29th!! You bunch of ledgends are the only ones getting me through this, if I mention running once more to herself or the family there will be nobody meeting me at the finish :pac:

Love it we are all legends :) and similar to you I say my family bar the hubby is over listening to me going on about running :D

Got out for a nice group run, I think I looked at last weeks planned runs and ran 5 miles tonight instead of 4miles oops Got in 30 minutes of strength exercises as well need to concentrate on my weak spots before the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

El Caballo wrote: »
    I got a great tip from an a club vet(2:19 marathon best) a few years back which I found really helped me through the last few miles. It was to pick a short 2 or 3 mile loop you know from training, break down the race into that loop and visualise it and getting to the end of it. So if the pressure is on at 20 miles, focus on getting to 23 and then the finish. I found it really helpful to be honest as often and I'd presume I'm not alone in this, thoughts can drift towards thinking about what's left as an exaggeratedly large distance in your mind. Always found breaking down what is left and thinking about a familiar route of that distance that I've trained on hugely helpful to keep focused and ward off any discouragement I've felt once the pain starts to set in.

Yes - this works.
    I've done many races and I've broken them down into "only 1 lap of the Phoenix Park left" or "2 laps of the acres to go" Or "just a dash down Chesterfield to the finish" - it really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

11 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 11 seconds to go folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Got the all clear to go back running tomorrow eve and am cleared for marathon day. Have to take the pace very handy. Delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Lazare wrote: »
    11 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 11 seconds to go folks.
    Taper madness, TAPER MADNESS!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

statina wrote: »
    Got the all clear to go back running tomorrow eve and am cleared for marathon day. Have to take the pace very handy. Delighted :-)

Excellent, that's great news!

Taper madness, TAPER MADNESS!! ;)

Ha!, I just tweeted that exact thing with a screenshot. Missed the 11 seconds though, fumbled the phone. :)

statina wrote: »

Great stuff statina!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Wow! Just caught up on all of today’s posts in one go here.

Well done to all those who got good runs in and delighted for those injured that got the go ahead to run.

Exciting reading the good luck comments and advice from previous novices! I’ve butterflies now after reading all the advice.

Had a great run this evening and felt like I cleared some cobwebs after being indoors in the storm. Luckily I brought my phone as street lights were out so had to pull it out as use it as a torch. Brought tops in to get our names on them for me and my partner in crime today too. Getting excited now.

Physio tomorrow to iron out any niggles and just enjoying the taper time!!

• Advertisement

Figured out my pace bands finally. Thanks to kellygirl for linking me to www.mymarathonpace.com such a fantastic resource, would deffo recommend spending the €6 on it.

I'm going to wear two of them, one with mile splits and a hybrid one I'm going to make out of two with km pace and 5k splits.

Advertisement