Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Lazare wrote: »
    Figured out my pace bands finally. Thanks to kellygirl for linking me to www.mymarathonpace.com such a fantastic resource, would deffo recommend spending the €6 on it.

I'm going to wear two of them, one with mile splits and a hybrid one I'm going to make out of two with km pace and 5k splits.

Oh great. Thinking of wearing two as well. I want the km splits and to show the pace as well as what time i’m supposed to be at each km and it only seems to do that in 2km splits as opposed to 1km - if that makes sense :rolleyes:

It’s a fantastic tool though! Well impressed with it. Are you laminating them or what’s your plan? Any time i’ve made a pace band before i’ve just used sellotape on either side but thinking this will be too big for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh great. Thinking of wearing two as well. I want the km splits and to show the pace as well as what time i’m supposed to be at each km and it only seems to do that in 2km splits as opposed to 1km - if that makes sense :rolleyes:

Yeah, the 2km splits thing isn't ideal but it does give you a good idea of where you should be at with your pace. I think you'll need to print a mile split one too as there aren't km markers every km, only at 5km splits, so a 1km split band wouldn't be of much use to you. You could of course work off the km splits on your watch but I think it's a better idea to use the official course markers.
    It’s a fantastic tool though! Well impressed with it. Are you laminating them or what’s your plan? Any time i’ve made a pace band before i’ve just used sellotape on either side but thinking this will be too big for that!

I'm going to test out clear tape tomorrow and staples and see if it's comfortable, if not I'll mess around with it. Maybe pick up some of that waterproof paper, I'm sure it's in Easons.

Yeah, the 2km splits thing isn't ideal but it does give you a good idea of where you should be at with your pace. I think you'll need to print a mile split one too as there aren't km markers every km, only at 5km splits, so a 1km split band wouldn't be of much use to you. You could of course work off the km splits on your watch but I think it's a better idea to use the official course markers.

I'm going to test out clear tape tomorrow and staples and see if it's comfortable, if not I'll mess around with it. Maybe pick up some of that waterproof paper, I'm sure it's in Easons.

Was just going to use my watch. Must have a think. Waterproof paper sounds great. Never seen it. Does it tear easily?

Was just going to use my watch. Must have a think. Waterproof paper sounds great. Never seen it. Does it tear easily?

I'm not sure, going to try pick some up and test it. Also going to test double sided tape instead of staples, if it holds well it will be much handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

The only concern I'd have with a pace band is it might wreck your head, what if your a minute slow you've to tie your lace or have an early pit stop or congestion is really bad ? Your going to be racking your brain trying to recollaborate on the go or worse burning matches trying to get back on pace.

The pacers are a huge help if they are slow first mile they'll gradually pull that pace in, I'm going to trust there expertise sit behind them for 2 hours at least and just listen to something mellow and zone out , My thinking is these guys are bringing me to the start line of a 10k race , ideal world 20 miles headphones out thank the pacers and run a 10k pb :). Reality probably a lot different and I'm trying to catch the pacers at 20miles we will see though , I've made a deal with my mind and body that I'm going to let it hurt don't wanna disappoint it.

• Advertisement

Haha, love that last line.

That site has a band tailored for Dublin, allows for congestion at the start, has the profile fully taken into account. Plus you can totally customise the type of race you want to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant to hear more good news from the injured list!

Hopefully a few more with positive news aswell.

Anyone starter checking the long range weather forecast yet??? Go on admit it someone has!!
    statina wrote: »
    Got the all clear to go back running tomorrow eve and am cleared for marathon day. Have to take the pace very handy. Delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

My plan is pretty much settled on.

Start slower than I think I can manage, trying to stick roughly to 9min30 miles for 6 miles or so. Try to lift it to 9min10 miles for 13-15 miles thereafter, which should be comfortable-ish. The last 6 miles are anyone's guess! My plan is to not focus on time at all then. Run as comfortably as I can when I can. If I have to walk for bits, let myself walk. Just do not stop!

Arrive to Merrion Square. Hug my family. Kiss my pregnant partner's belly. Have a beer. Start every story with "When I did a marathon..."

Anyone starter checking the long range weather forecast yet??? Go on admit it someone has!!

Me!!!

Fairly ideal currently - 10 degrees, dry and no wind being ideal for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Me!!!

and.???? edit: seen you put it up - sorry

I'm not sure, going to try pick some up and test it. Also going to test double sided tape instead of staples, if it holds well it will be much handier.

I've always used tape and just cut it off later on then. Never bothered me. Wore one for my 20 mile lsr and just got a bit damp as not enough tape under the ink. Need to start printing and testing too I think. I'd be a little iffy about staples.

Perfect forecast here for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

drkpower wrote: »
    Bib No.| ]Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|

Hopefully!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Think I may be out :(

Attempted an easy 10m this morning. Perfect morning for it. I was in trouble at mile 4. Called it quits at just over 8m. Knee didn't seize up completely like previously but I'm not sure I can run 26.2 miles if I'm in pain from mile 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Disaster. Are you due back with physio or anything this week.?

Ah no Ariana :(

Nightmare A......Any chance of a Physio visit today?

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Disaster. Are you due back with physio or anything this week.?

I'm booked in for Friday but he said to text him after the run so I just did that. Maybe he'll see me tomorrow.

I just don't know. In one way I think it's mad to run when I'm obviously injured. But in another way maybe it'd be better to start and sure worst case scenario I dnf - how bad? At least I'd have the experience of getting to the start and all the logistics that go with that. Maybe then next time wouldn't be so daunting? And I'd have a chance, however slim, of finishing - which I'd have no chance of sitting at home.

I would listen to the advice from the Physio. Who knows what damage you could do to yourself.

May be a case of listening to the experts.

• Advertisement

I would listen to the advice from the Physio. Who knows what damage you could do to yourself.

May be a case of listening to the experts.

Yeah you're right of course. I'm clutching at straws here in desperation. I'll do as I'm told don't worry, I do want to run again even if it means sticking to shorter distances.

For now he told me ice and rest today and add in gentle foam rolling tomorrow and he'll see me Fri as planned.

So bloody upset here, like seriously I know there's always going to be a % that don't make the start but you never think it'll be you til it happens :(

Even if the worst comes to the worst and you can't run DCM 17 you have a huge amount of base fitness and can have a tilt at another marathon in the future.

Don't stress out until you have had a chance to review with the Physio. Hopefully get some positive news.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah you're right of course. I'm clutching at straws here in desperation. I'll do as I'm told don't worry, I do want to run again even if it means sticking to shorter distances.

For now he told me ice and rest today and add in gentle foam rolling tomorrow and he'll see me Fri as planned.

So bloody upset here, like seriously I know there's always going to be a % that don't make the start but you never think it'll be you til it happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Attempted an easy 10m this morning. Perfect morning for it. I was in trouble at mile 4. Called it quits at just over 8m. Knee didn't seize up completely like previously but I'm not sure I can run 26.2 miles if I'm in pain from mile 4.

Oh no Ariana, I am gutted for you, I hope it all settles, see what physio says on Friday maybe it just needs more rest I hope that is all it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm booked in for Friday but he said to text him after the run so I just did that. Maybe he'll see me tomorrow.

I just don't know. In one way I think it's mad to run when I'm obviously injured. But in another way maybe it'd be better to start and sure worst case scenario I dnf - how bad? At least I'd have the experience of getting to the start and all the logistics that go with that. Maybe then next time wouldn't be so daunting? And I'd have a chance, however slim, of finishing - which I'd have no chance of sitting at home.

Really sorry for you Ariana, See what the physio has to say, the danger of starting when your not right is when do you stop? The last thing you want to do now is make things worse and put yourself out for an extended time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Oh no - very bad news.

Take advice from a professional and listen to it - no point in doing more damage to yourself for the sake of a 'long run' in Dublin.

Same thing happened to me in 2013 - except it was 1 month out not 11 days.

If the physio says 'NO' - then it has to be no. The risks are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Aww ariana, I’ve no advice but I’m so very sorry to hear this. I really hope it not the end for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Ariana - I am so gutted for you :-(

Im borderline myself. Was at the physio today, Can run the 8 miles on Saturday but if I have any pain during or after, Im not allowed to run DCM.
    Im at work now so holding it together for now but am beyond disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Ariana - I am so gutted for you :-(

Im borderline myself. Was at the physio today, Can run the 8 miles on Saturday but if I have any pain during or after, Im not allowed to run DCM.
    Im at work now so holding it together for now but am beyond disappointed.

Oh no, no pressure then eek your nerves will be gone on your run, I will be crossing everything for you as well that it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Really sorry to hear that Ariana. Its gut wrenching when it happens, after all the work. Sending you positive vibes.

Leesider, hope the 8 miler goes ok for you at the weekend, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you, ariana and leesider, there's still 10 days to repair and recover.

Advertisement