Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

leesider77 wrote: »
    Ariana - I am so gutted for you :-(

Im borderline myself. Was at the physio today, Can run the 8 miles on Saturday but if I have any pain during or after, Im not allowed to run DCM.
    Im at work now so holding it together for now but am beyond disappointed.

Hopefully Saturday will be ok for you. Hoping for the best possible outcome for both of us now xx

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Oh no Ariana and Leesider, I'm so sorry its not good news for you for now at least.
    I can imagine how upset you must be after all the hard work and anticipation.
    Fingers crossed the next few days rest will bring the necessary improvements.

Even if the worst comes to the worst and you can't run DCM 17 you have a huge amount of base fitness and can have a tilt at another marathon in the future.
    This is what I keep reminding myself of. Leesider the same applies to you. I'm reading up on 5 & 10k plans already, a bit premature but I think having a new goal might help ease the pain of missing the current goal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Really sorry to hear that ariana and leesider. As others have already said, listen to your physio's advice on whether you should attempt DCM this year. There are always other marathons and the last thing you want is to injure yourself further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Sorry to hear ariana and Leeside, it's a mix of emotions this training.

Just finished a painful but brilliant physio session. He said it definitely looks a LOT better then last week so that's good news. Definitely have to reevaluate my time depending on how the next week or so go, and gave me some glute exercises to do along with the usual stretching and foam rolling.

No dry needling as he said he wouldn't try it because I haven't done it already, and it's too close to try anything new if it doesn't agree with me.

He did give me a referral letter to get an MRI done if I wanted that peace of mind that nothing is majorly wrong, I'm unsure of whether to do it because even he said nothing will probably come up, but again it's for my peace of mind. Booked in again for next week to either review the MRI results and/or iron out those last few niggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just in from work to see all these posts. Terrible news Ariana. I really hope there is a happy ending. Leesider it's not all over yet. Hopefully Saturday goes ok and the traffic light turns amber for you.

Damo that's good news. Keep the runs steady this week.

Lazare wrote: »
    Figured out my pace bands finally. Thanks to kellygirl for linking me to www.mymarathonpace.com such a fantastic resource, would deffo recommend spending the €6 on it.

I'm going to wear two of them, one with mile splits and a hybrid one I'm going to make out of two with km pace and 5k splits.

What time pace band did you get? Did you go for conservative start, even effort, negative split?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Think I may be out :(

Attempted an easy 10m this morning. Perfect morning for it. I was in trouble at mile 4. Called it quits at just over 8m. Knee didn't seize up completely like previously but I'm not sure I can run 26.2 miles if I'm in pain from mile 4.

Oh no! Gutted for you. Is there anything that you could wear round your knee like a brace or something that would help? Obviously the physio will know best there anyway. You must be devastated. Will be hoping it all works out. How are you walking on it? Is that an option on the day?

Up to my eyes with six kids all afternoon and just doing a quick catch up before getting my own two off to bed and getting out for a bit. Will catch up properly on all the posts later.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Just finished a painful but brilliant physio session. He said it definitely looks a LOT better then last week so that's good news. Definitely have to reevaluate my time depending on how the next week or so go, and gave me some glute exercises to do along with the usual stretching and foam rolling.

No dry needling as he said he wouldn't try it because I haven't done it already, and it's too close to try anything new if it doesn't agree with me.

He did give me a referral letter to get an MRI done if I wanted that peace of mind that nothing is majorly wrong, I'm unsure of whether to do it because even he said nothing will probably come up, but again it's for my peace of mind. Booked in again for next week to either review the MRI results and/or iron out those last few niggles.

Sounds positive Damo. Might be good on the day to know there is nothing wrong and it's ok to run through a particular pain?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Really sorry to hear that Ariana. I'm gutted for you. Hoping it somehow comes all good for .

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh no! Gutted for you. Is there anything that you could wear round your knee like a brace or something that would help? Obviously the physio will know best there anyway. You must be devastated. Will be hoping it all works out. How are you walking on it? Is that an option on the day?

Up to my eyes with six kids all afternoon and just doing a quick catch up before getting my own two off to bed and getting out for a bit. Will catch up properly on all the posts later.

I'm walking ok, today wasn't anything like 1.5 weeks ago where it seized up completely.Today was more discomfort that turned to pain, I was limping running but I've been fine once I came home and stretched & iced it .

I text physio earlier and he said to keep my chin up there's still 10 days! So obviously he still has some hope. I have decided that IF by some miracle I get to do it I will start at 7 min/km and stay at that until at least 35 km so essentially aim for 4:5x:xx. It'll be the very best I can hope for now at this point in time. No need for pace bands or pace group, I'll just work with my watch and how my body feels... but at this stage it feels like a very big IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'm walking ok, today wasn't anything like 1.5 weeks ago where it seized up completely.Today was more discomfort that turned to pain, I was limping running but I've been fine once I came home and stretched & iced it .

I text physio earlier and he said to keep my chin up there's still 10 days! So obviously he still has some hope. I have decided that IF by some miracle I get to do it I will start at 7 min/km and stay at that until at least 35 km so essentially aim for 4:5x:xx. It'll be the very best I can hope for now at this point in time. No need for pace bands or pace group, I'll just work with my watch and how my body feels... but at this stage it feels like a very big IF.

So sorry ariana! Really hope you can get to do this. The fact that the physio hasn't given up on you yet is a positive, is it not?

leesider77 wrote: »
    Ariana - I am so gutted for you :-(

Im borderline myself. Was at the physio today, Can run the 8 miles on Saturday but if I have any pain during or after, Im not allowed to run DCM.
    Im at work now so holding it together for now but am beyond disappointed.

Really sorry leesider, best of luck on Sunday, fingers crossed for you!

Good news Damo, hopefully more to follow!

For anybody who is interested, regulars, lurkers, posters or not, mentor or mentors disciples a few of us are meeting at the car park of the Hole in the Wall pub for an 8 mile run in and around the Phoenix Park on Saturday morning for an 8am start. We'll then be going for a coffee in the visitors centre at 9.30/ 9.45

Anyone who fancies a run and coffee, a run only or just a coffee afterwards please feel free to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Not sure if this can be blamed on 'taper madness', but nearly tripped over a branch lying on the footpath earlier on - it was under the shadow of the tree, and I really got caught and 100% thought I was a going to faceplant, but luckily the other foot got free and managed to land on it. Slightly sore hamstring for a while but pain disappeared by the time I finished the run.

Also nearly dropped my motorbike last night doing a 360 degree turn, a turn I have taken hundreds of times, but I wasn't looking where I was going and leaned over too much and had to put the right foot down super hard to take stop the fall, which was hurting for another hour or so.. This one is definitely my own doing, unlike tripping over a branch in the night.

Anyone doing their runs in the dark, please do be extra vigilant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Topical top post over at Reddit at the moment:

R0NS4o8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Bib No.| ]Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    12366|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|

I have that in there, but would still be very happy with a decent finish to mid 3:2x.

Would be interested in peoples recent race times as clickerquicklic mentioned to get some perspective. My half at the Dublin half was 1:29 and 10k in Fingal was 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bib No.| ]Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    12366|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|

I have that in there, but would still be very happy with a decent finish to mid 3:2x.

Would be interested in peoples recent race times as clickerquicklic mentioned to get some perspective. My half at the Dublin half was 1:29 and 10k in Fingal was 39.

A few of the lads posted times....it's back a few pages now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Parkrun: 19:38 (I Think?)
    Fingal 10k: 44:55
    Dublin Half: 1:35

All at different times throughout the training cycle!

Hoping for 4hrs on the day, but with the injury itll obviously be revised! Anything will be a pb tho, thats one way of looking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A few of the lads posted times....it's back a few pages now.

Cheers!

Hoping for 4hrs on the day, but with the injury itll obviously be revised! Anything will be a pb tho, thats one way of looking at it!

Fair play, good times! The HM especially looks very good relatively, looks like you've very good endurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should be along to the meet up. Will try to bring this ginger mascot (read - how do we recognise each other), if I remember.

Actually I thought Battery K might only be interested in times from people around the 3:20 mark but if more of us posted some times it might help us figure out where we stand in relation to others and if we're being optimistic or pessimistic with our target times. So me.....

DCM Target 3:50-3:59
    Fingal 10k 46:14
    Dublin Half 1:40:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Pb's all in this training block

Parkrun 18.44
    Fingal 10k 39.50
    Frank Duffy 10mile 67.56
    SSE Half 1.29.06

Target 3.16 looks ambitious compared to others with better times than me. I'll be going with 3.20 pacers until mile 20 and best result be pulling in a few minutes over last 10k

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Actually I thought Battery K might only be interested in times from people around the 3:20 mark but if more of us posted some times it might help us figure out where we stand in relation to others and if we're being optimistic or pessimistic with our target times. So me.....

DCM Target 3:50-3:59
    Fingal 10k 46:14
    Dublin Half 1:40:45

No problem sharing my times but not sure how relevant they are as not from this training cycle as such. I haven't done a half since last December and I would now run the same time in training easily enough if I felt like it. I was sick for my 10 mile race so I did the first 5 miles slowly to see how I'd do and then flew the 2nd 5 miles!

5k Parkrun 26:01 (about 2 months ago)
    10 mile 93 mins
    HM last Dec - 2:10:49

A Goal 4:25
    B Goal 4:29:59
    C Goal - just run the whole thing

What are you all planning on eating the night before the race?

Just been reading the nutrition articles in Irish Runner and want to sit down and plan my week food wise! I’m convinced bad nutrition and eating rubbish hindered me in Cork so not letting that be an excuse this time!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    No problem sharing my times but not sure how relevant they are as not from this training cycle as such. I haven't done a half since last December and I would now run the same time in training easily enough if I felt like it. I was sick for my 10 mile race so I did the first 5 miles slowly to see how I'd do and then flew the 2nd 5 miles!

5k Parkrun 26:01 (about 2 months ago)
    10 mile 93 mins
    HM last Dec - 2:10:49

A Goal 4:25
    B Goal 4:29:59
    C Goal - just run the whole thing

Mime are very similar

5k - 24:35 (May 2017)
    10m - 1:30 (Aug 2017)
    HM - 2:09:25 (Oct 2016)

* Only goal: get to the start and finish lines.

* w/o injury would have prob been very similar to yours KG

• Advertisement

Mime are very similar

5k - 24:35 (May 2017)
    10m - 1:30 (Aug 2017)
    HM - 2:09:25 (Oct 2016)

* Only goal: get to the start and finish lines.

* w/o injury would have prob been very similar to yours KG

Wow - great Parkrun time. 26 mins was a big achievement for me. Stopped doing it then as my LSRs needed to be on Saturday morns. Looking forward to going back to it and aiming for 25 mins though.

You will have to do use DCM as a major learning exercise and do another marathon when not injured.

Advertisement