Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've been reading the thread, but not posting, as I've not been running for the last couple of weeks and wasn't sure if I was going to do the training, never mind the marathon. I did a 5 mile run in England two weeks ago and struggled to breathe, it was 25 degrees and humid, but even so, I walked most of it. It was a tough trail run, but I then did a short relay 3 days later, a half mile, and I couldn't even run 200 metres without struggling.

I think it was a combination of hay fever and asthma, so had a GP check last week, my peak flow was low, new inhaler and nasal spray prescribed and waiting for blood results. I did my first run this evening, only did 2.6 miles but felt much, much better, so will carry on now :)

I want to do the Dublin Rock n Roll on 13th August, in the boards plan, that weekend has a 14m LSR, the HH has a 12 m LSR, so it should fit in OK? Or would I be better doing the 10K Rock n Roll and fitting my LSR in on another day during the week?

If you're aiming for this, the half fits in perfectly. I haven't run it before, but as the course profile indicates, it's a tricky one, with a significant net uphill. Don't try an LSR the same week as the 10k, if that's the path you decide to go down....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I'm tentatively dipping my toe into this thread :D I have not fully made up my mind if I will attempt DCM this year but I have signed up to the race series. If I don't run it, I will run/walk hopefully!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k PB parkrun Kilkenny 00.28.04 Oct 16
    8k Streets of Galway 00.48.22 Aug 2016
    10k Loughrea Lake 00.58.24 Sept 16
    5mile Raheny 00.50.45 Jan 17

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    This year has been very busy with work etc so running has taken a back seat since January. I am starting to jog again and build up the miles, I also practice a lot of yoga!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I'm just aiming to finish it

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Currently trying to build up the miles again and fit running back into my lifestyle. Life has gotten quieter in the past couple of weeks so I am aiming at 4 times per week, kicking off with HHN1 on june 26th.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Just to prove to myself that I can! I want to take this opportunity now, I don't want to look back later in life and think "what if" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

Glad to hear training for Clontarf is going well. Fingers crossed you'll have favourable weather conditions on the day too; heat can be a nightmare there, as I know from first hand experience :eek:
    Oh don't tell me that, I don't handle the heat well!! Although I hope there's not heavy rain like some of the showers we've had this week either :)

There is a time window where your body is primed for taking in all this recovery fuel - typically 20-60 mins - heres a good article that goes into it a bit more.
    Thanks a mill for the link - very interesting read, although it does seem like a lot of carbs to take in after a long run :OI'm roughly the same weight as the example they give in the article and would only have been eating around 200 g carbs total on long run days, and that's including pre- and post- workout. Think I need to adjust this now that the miles are increasing.
    There's one thing that I haven't been able to figure out and that is how much I need to refuel after a sorta long run mid-week. This week I did 5 miles easy on Tues, 8 miles easy on Wed and 5 miles easy on Thurs and I can feel the tiredness and need for rest after it. These were all run at around 11 min/mile so the Tues and Thurs runs count as easy runs, but what about the 8 mile run which took me 90 mins? This seems to fall in-between an easy run and a endurance run and can't find any advice on how to refuel for this type of activity. Anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

After chickening out last year and watching my GF do it, this year I have decided to bite the bullit and dive into it.  One year ago I would struggle to run 1km but with training things have improved alot.
    I live in Switzerland so will be training here, great for hills but over the summer its going to get hot.  Last night when doing a run for 70 minutes it was 28/29 degrees.

10k - Zurich Silvesterlauf Dec 2016 - 58:00
    9k  - Zurich Marathon Team Event April 2017 - 49:02

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    At the moment usually 3 days per week (usually around 5-7km hilly runs midweek with a run over 10km on weekends) with sometimes a hike on the weekends or a couple of hours cycle.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I am training with 3 others (all Swiss) who are doing the Dublin Marathon and we collectively are aiming at 4hrs but would not be disappointed if didnt achieve it

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the boards plan and race the Dublin Half Marathon if I can, if not, I will do the Basel Half Marathon which is on the same weekend.

As a sense of achievement as I have been unfit and overweight for most of my adult life and to make myself and family proud I want to complete it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I forgot for a second that you were doing these in kms!

I'm leaning towards the second of your alternative plans. If wherever you're staying has a gym, even a treadmill :) it might be nice to do an easy bit of cross the morning after the wedding if time allows. Plus you're not having too many consecutive days of inactivitity; as the big day draws closer, this will be important.

Thanks Wubble, I've tried to arrange it so I don't lose my long runs.

Very much appreciate it. Need to make a decision which to follow I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks a mill for the link - very interesting read, although it does seem like a lot of carbs to take in after a long run :OI'm roughly the same weight as the example they give in the article and would only have been eating around 200 g carbs total on long run days, and that's including pre- and post- workout. Think I need to adjust this now that the miles are increasing.
    There's one thing that I haven't been able to figure out and that is how much I need to refuel after a sorta long run mid-week. This week I did 5 miles easy on Tues, 8 miles easy on Wed and 5 miles easy on Thurs and I can feel the tiredness and need for rest after it. These were all run at around 11 min/mile so the Tues and Thurs runs count as easy runs, but what about the 8 mile run which took me 90 mins? This seems to fall in-between an easy run and a endurance run and can't find any advice on how to refuel for this type of activity. Anyone have any advice?

At this stage, you body is in stress with all the additional miles - so eat accordingly to ensure you are adequately fueled.

Do be careful to pay attention to fueling pre-run as well as post run.

Typically (and this is a general statement) for any runs over 60 mins (90'ish in well trained athletes) we need to fuel up for and ensure adequate recovery - so your 90 min run 8 mile run will need you to eat more to prepare for and recover from.

I'll restate the aspect that this is all new for your body, so its stressing and adapting.
    As your body adapts, the demands for fuel will decrease. So do listen to what your body is telling you.

Don't be afraid to eat more as the miles increase (before and after) - if you are feeling tired and sluggish, it could be a sign that you need to fuel better or the pace is too quick or the miles are too long or a combo.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of carbs per kg in relation to miles ran - it'll be a trial and error thing and you'll eventually find your happy place. Stick with it.

As an afterthought - also watch out for hydration - we all need to be drinking more water, this could also be a factor.

** I'm not a nutritionist, so the above is based on my reading and my experience. :) **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

Early training going well. Had been pushing to do a strong PB at Cork Half and knocked 10 mins off the first half marathon I did in Galway last year.

Getting a plan drawn up by a coach at my club and plan on doing a few more halves in the run up to Dublin.

Signed up for Brandon bay Half Marathon this morning. Anyone ever run it? Sounds unique in that its all on sand. Mightn't be one for a PB for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

deisedude wrote: »
    Signed up for Brandon bay Half Marathon this morning. Anyone ever run it? Sounds unique in that its all on sand. Mightn't be one for a PB for that reason

Well done on the 10 min pb. What Galway half did you do? I did Galway Bay half last year as my 1st HM.

Sounds tough. Are you used to running on sand? It may not be a good idea if you're not, you wouldn't want to pick up an injury at this stage :eek: Not that i'm an expert, my opinion is based on minimal experience of doing short runs on the beach on hols, so you may choose to ignore it :D

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on the 10 min pb. What Galway half did you do? I did Galway Bay half last year as my 1st HM.

Sounds tough. Are you used to running on sand? It may not be a good idea if you're not, you wouldn't want to pick up an injury at this stage :eek: Not that i'm an expert, my opinion is based on minimal experience of doing short runs on the beach on hols, so you may choose to ignore it :D

I did Galway Bay. Nice flat course so was perfect event for a 1st HM. Would do it again this year but is 3 weeks too close to Dublin to race a half?

There is a big group going with my club as a day out to Brandon. Will take it handy and just view it as a training run i'd say

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    I did Galway Bay. Nice flat course so was perfect event for a 1st HM. Would do it again this year but is 3 weeks too close to Dublin to race a half?

There is a big group going with my club as a day out to Brandon. Will take it handy and just view it as a training run i'd say

I was wondering the same. For now I have it in my plan to do Clarenbridge HM on Sept 9th as i think the timing will be better for DCM. I did the 10k there last year and it's a lovely course, partially through a forest/wooded area. It's 4 laps (and a bit) of a 5k circuit.

ariana` wrote: »
    I was wondering the same. For now I have it in my plan to do Clarenbridge HM on Sept 9th as i think the timing will be better for DCM. I did the 10k there last year and it's a lovely course, partially through a forest/wooded area. It's 4 laps (and a bit) of a 5k circuit.

Ya, I have Charleville in my diary for September 17th for the same reason. Flattest half in the country!

Question:  why does everybody still refer to miles when talking about pacing and distance, i just guess most plans etc are either coming from the UK or US

At this stage, you body is in stress with all the additional miles - so eat accordingly to ensure you are adequately fueled.

Do be careful to pay attention to fueling pre-run as well as post run.

Typically (and this is a general statement) for any runs over 60 mins (90'ish in well trained athletes) we need to fuel up for and ensure adequate recovery - so your 90 min run 8 mile run will need you to eat more to prepare for and recover from.

I'll restate the aspect that this is all new for your body, so its stressing and adapting.
    As your body adapts, the demands for fuel will decrease. So do listen to what your body is telling you.

Don't be afraid to eat more as the miles increase (before and after) - if you are feeling tired and sluggish, it could be a sign that you need to fuel better or the pace is too quick or the miles are too long or a combo.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of carbs per kg in relation to miles ran - it'll be a trial and error thing and you'll eventually find your happy place. Stick with it.

As an afterthought - also watch out for hydration - we all need to be drinking more water, this could also be a factor.

** I'm not a nutritionist, so the above is based on my reading and my experience. :) **
    Thanks, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

kilns wrote:
    Question: why does everybody still refer to miles when talking about pacing and distance, i just guess most plans etc are either coming from the UK or US

I train in miles because the marathon is in miles. I know there'll be signs for the larger kilometer markers too, but for me a marathon is 26.2 miles, not 42.2km.

Also 42.2 is a very high number to count to.

kilns wrote: »
    Question:  why does everybody still refer to miles when talking about pacing and distance, i just guess most plans etc are either coming from the UK or US
    I train in miles because the marathon is in miles. I know there'll be signs for the larger kilometer markers too, but for me a marathon is 26.2 miles, not 42.2km.

I'm in kms because i have a 5k and a 10k race on this month but once they're over i'll switch to miles for the same reasons as shortie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm repeating myself here, but anyway - miles may be longer, but there's less of 'em!! :D

:D

Km's go by quicker though thats my reasoning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Early morning in the gym. Unfortunately a necessity for me if I want to be able to run 26.2. It really isn't something I enjoy and I'm counting down the number of sessions I have to do.....

40/44 gym sessions left;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I can't get used to miles at all, so used to thinking in km.

One significant benefit to staying in km for me is the extra splits. I tend to use those km splits to adjust pace rather than regularly checking the watch, so for me having 40+ of them is far superior to only having 25.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Forgive me ....
    I'm sure I saw on this thread* a recommondation for a physio - a sort of unofficial physio for Boards' novices. I've searched the thread and can't find it.
    Would somebody be able to point me to the post in question?

*or maybe it was a different thread in the A/R forum, I couldn't swear that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Lazare wrote:
    One significant benefit to staying in km for me is the extra splits. I tend to use those km splits to adjust pace rather than regularly checking the watch, so for me having 40+ of them is far superior to only having 25.

Mostly I only have 2 speeds: stop and go. I run at whatever pace is comfortable and manageable for the distance I'm planning to cover. My watch does tell me my pace and speed but I don't really change much based on this info. My autopilot decides how fast to go.
    But then I'm a slow runner and not aiming for any fast time.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread and it's ok to do so.

While I have run DCM before back in 2013 as you can see, that's 4 years ago. So I feel I'm back to square 1 when it comes to the marathon and running in general after having twins in 2014. So I would love to join the novice thread as I get back into it and join you all on your journey.

I have completed 5k's, 10k's, a number of half marathons, DCM 2013 and in 2016 ran as most recently as part of a relay team in last years Belfast 24 hour race (running 6 hours in 3x2 hour slots over the 6 hours = approx 55k completed).
    5K 25:39 2013 Malahide Parkrun
    10K 53:01 2013 Race Series
    Half Marathon: 2:02:04 2013 Race Series Half Marathon
    Marathon: 4:21:39 2013 Dublin Marathon
    Belfast 24 hour race: 2016, 6 hours in 3x2 hour slots over the 24 hours, approx 55K completed.

No. Although I'm sure I might as I up the mileage.

I've just recently started back regularly running on a consistent basis. About 4 weeks in. At present running 5 times a week. Low mileage to start out with e.g. this week was 4 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles (to be done over the weekend). I'm by no means fast, I never have been, but I can usually complete whatever distance I set my mind to.

I'd love to beat my time from 2013. However as I have not been running regularly in a long time, as I was pregnant had twins in 2014, in reality just completing it will be my goal. I loved the marathon in 2013 as I put no pressure on myself to achieve a time goal so as a result I enjoyed it. I would be slightly afraid that if I become married to a goal this time around that if I did not achieve it, it could feel like failure when in reality finishing it after a consistent training cycle would be a great achievement.

Trying to do x 5 per week. My own plan, which is a mix of Hal Higdon and my previous marathon training plan. Just mixing it around to try fit in around my life now.

To be honest I have just been trying to get myself back together both physically and mentally since having the kids. It has taken me time to realise that for me, life changed a lot adding two little kids into the mix. While my husband is brilliant and kept on his major running and has encouraged me to do the same, however for me I found exercise and indeed trying to make time for myself took a back seat.

I did complete two half marathons and the 24 hour race since having the babies, however when doing those races I did no consistent training and really just completed the races themselves. So it's time to get back in shape and to try get the consistency back. That's what my main goal is. That and just seeing if I can do it again and get back to the fitness I had before having the kids.

Looking forward to joining you all on this journey.

sillymoo wrote: »
    I'm tentatively dipping my toe into this thread :D I have not fully made up my mind if I will attempt DCM this year but I have signed up to the race series. If I don't run it, I will run/walk hopefully!

5k PB parkrun Kilkenny 00.28.04 Oct 16
    8k Streets of Galway 00.48.22 Aug 2016
    10k Loughrea Lake 00.58.24 Sept 16
    5mile Raheny 00.50.45 Jan 17

No

This year has been very busy with work etc so running has taken a back seat since January. I am starting to jog again and build up the miles, I also practice a lot of yoga!

I'm just aiming to finish it

Currently trying to build up the miles again and fit running back into my lifestyle. Life has gotten quieter in the past couple of weeks so I am aiming at 4 times per week, kicking off with HHN1 on june 26th.

Just to prove to myself that I can! I want to take this opportunity now, I don't want to look back later in life and think "what if" :o

Hi sillymoo,

Welcome to the thread! The Race Series events can be great practice in the build up to the main event. More experience of running in races with big numbers, and they're intended to be structured in such a way that the gap between each is suitable for marathon preparation. Although I see the Raheny 5 on your list; another race that always brings out huge numbers, and one I try to get to each year.

In relation to the plans, I would consider HHN1 to be more suitable for you than the Boards plan. Both will get you across the line, but HH is a little bit easier, and doesn't have any sessions in it. You have the chance to go for it this year, so take the chance. I'm confident that you'll be successful :) Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

After chickening out last year and watching my GF do it, this year I have decided to bite the bullit and dive into it.  One year ago I would struggle to run 1km but with training things have improved alot.
    I live in Switzerland so will be training here, great for hills but over the summer its going to get hot.  Last night when doing a run for 70 minutes it was 28/29 degrees.

10k - Zurich Silvesterlauf Dec 2016 - 58:00
    9k  - Zurich Marathon Team Event April 2017 - 49:02

No

At the moment usually 3 days per week (usually around 5-7km hilly runs midweek with a run over 10km on weekends) with sometimes a hike on the weekends or a couple of hours cycle.

I am training with 3 others (all Swiss) who are doing the Dublin Marathon and we collectively are aiming at 4hrs but would not be disappointed if didnt achieve it

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the boards plan and race the Dublin Half Marathon if I can, if not, I will do the Basel Half Marathon which is on the same weekend.

As a sense of achievement as I have been unfit and overweight for most of my adult life and to make myself and family proud I want to complete it

Hi kilns,

Welcome to the thread! I'm open to correction here, but I believe you might be the first Swiss-based DCM Novice :)

Hilly runs are great for marathon training in general. You'll probably find that there are a lot less hills percentage wise in Dublin than most places you run in Switzerland. Good choice on the Boards plan, and having three others with you with similar targets should give you an advantage too.

I'm actually planning to go to the 3 Country Marathon in early October with my job. It looks great, although it's too close to DCM to race anything.

I'm confident that you and your crew will push yourselves along to complete and make you and your family proud. Thanks for signing up, and best of luck!

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread and it's ok to do so.

While I have run DCM before back in 2013 as you can see, that's 4 years ago. So I feel I'm back to square 1 when it comes to the marathon and running in general after having twins in 2014. So I would love to join the novice thread as I get back into it and join you all on your journey.

I have completed 5k's, 10k's, a number of half marathons, DCM 2013 and in 2016 ran as most recently as part of a relay team in last years Belfast 24 hour race (running 6 hours in 3x2 hour slots over the 6 hours = approx 55k completed).
    5K 25:39 2013 Malahide Parkrun
    10K 53:01 2013 Race Series
    Half Marathon: 2:02:04 2013 Race Series Half Marathon
    Marathon: 4:21:39 2013 Dublin Marathon
    Belfast 24 hour race: 2016, 6 hours in 3x2 hour slots over the 24 hours, approx 55K completed.

No. Although I'm sure I might as I up the mileage.

I've just recently started back regularly running on a consistent basis. About 4 weeks in. At present running 5 times a week. Low mileage to start out with e.g. this week was 4 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles (to be done over the weekend). I'm by no means fast, I never have been, but I can usually complete whatever distance I set my mind to.

I'd love to beat my time from 2013. However as I have not been running regularly in a long time, as I was pregnant had twins in 2014, in reality just completing it will be my goal. I loved the marathon in 2013 as I put no pressure on myself to achieve a time goal so as a result I enjoyed it. I would be slightly afraid that if I become married to a goal this time around that if I did not achieve it, it could feel like failure when in reality finishing it after a consistent training cycle would be a great achievement.

Trying to do x 5 per week. My own plan, which is a mix of Hal Higdon and my previous marathon training plan. Just mixing it around to try fit in around my life now.

To be honest I have just been trying to get myself back together both physically and mentally since having the kids. It has taken me time to realise that for me, life changed a lot adding two little kids into the mix. While my husband is brilliant and kept on his major running and has encouraged me to do the same, however for me I found exercise and indeed trying to make time for myself took a back seat.

I did complete two half marathons and the 24 hour race since having the babies, however when doing those races I did no consistent training and really just completed the races themselves. So it's time to get back in shape and to try get the consistency back. That's what my main goal is. That and just seeing if I can do it again and get back to the fitness I had before having the kids.

Looking forward to joining you all on this journey.

Hi excitementcity,

You are more than welcome to join us!

There's some very impressive times in there, and even since the twins came along, a lot of work under your belt. I'm laughing reading the bits about the 24 hour race (my emphasis). Way beyond me, now and for the foreseeable future :D (I haven't raced longer than a marathon) What was your training like in the build up to that?

I like the idea of not being stuck on getting a particular time, especially if you're only getting back into the swing of things. But you've plenty of running experience already, and this should stand to you as you progress. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Just while I'm here, my own quick two cents on the miles vs. kms debate...

I don't discriminate at all in this regard, and you are all more than welcome to use either or both as you wish :D

I remember the Paris Marathon having signs in both miles and kms. Great for me, especially after my race started to unravel; another marker reached!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I remember the Paris Marathon having signs in both miles and kms. Great for me, especially after my race started to unravel; another marker reached!

DCM has markers in miles and every 5kms.

I think the 3/4 marathon also had markers every mile and km, I remember the little boosts along the way :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My goal for the week: to increase my runs to 10km. It was a busy week.

Runs:
    11.50km @ 7:26 pace (approx 10.4km of actual running)
    This was on Monday, and it started out mildly drizzly, but by the 3rd kilometre, I got absolutely drenched and did, briefly, consider giving up, but then, as already mentioned, I figured I was as wet as I could be, there was no harm in continuing for the rest as I knew I'd be mad at myself if I had given up, and it still beat running in hot sun. Run was very slow, but very probably down to the extra weight I carried due to being soaked through. I did feel that at that pace I could very nearly have gone all day though, which I guess is a good sign.

11.56km @ 7:16 pace (approx 10.4km of actual running)
    Ideal conditions, nice run, faster pace, but probably couldn't have kept up the same pace for too much longer.

6.39km @ 6:59 pace (approx 5.3km of actual running)
    Happy to get a fast run in ("fast" being relative to me) after having found the shorter runs had become slower for me as my distances increased.

4.97km @ 6:49 pace (all ran)
    Parkrun, back to a slow pace again, but felt like a comfortable enough run.

Two long walks midweek too - 6.3km leisurely and 4.6km brisk and steep.

I bought new runners, including having a gait analysis done (VERY enlightening) - I haven't tried out the new runners yet though.

I also bought a FR35, and used it for the first time at Parkrun, which showed the distance a little under the 5km, whereas previously MapMyRun always had it over at about 5.14km. I wonder which is more accurate.

And now that I've managed to do a 10km, I've been brave enough to sign up for the Fingal 10K, and sure, while I was at it, I signed up for the FD10 and the HM too. I'm still not brave enough to actually sign up for the DCM though. We'll see how the other races go. I'm excited.

I'm thinking the goal for next week is to stop running two long runs as I have been doing. Instead, increase one of them by a kilometre and decrease the other by a kilometre over the next couple of weeks, so that I'm relatively close to the HH plan when the time comes to start it. I also plan to finally deviate from my current routes, and try out some of the routes that Craig suggested, and/or some that I've mapped out myself. The further I go, the less inclined I am to do the same 1km circuit over and over, so it's really time to so that.

Also, anybody on this?? After my gait analysis, I really think I need to get a few things sorted before my distances increase too much:
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Forgive me ....
    I'm sure I saw on this thread* a recommendation for a physio - a sort of unofficial physio for Boards' novices. I've searched the thread and can't find it.
    Would somebody be able to point me to the post in question?

*or maybe it was a different thread in the A/R forum, I couldn't swear that it wasn't.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    My goal for the week: to increase my runs to 10km. It was a busy week.

Runs:
    11.50km @ 7:26 pace (approx 10.4km of actual running)
    This was on Monday, and it started out mildly drizzly, but by the 3rd kilometre, I got absolutely drenched and did, briefly, consider giving up, but then, as already mentioned, I figured I was as wet as I could be, there was no harm in continuing for the rest as I knew I'd be mad at myself if I had given up, and it still beat running in hot sun. Run was very slow, but very probably down to the extra weight I carried due to being soaked through. I did feel that at that pace I could very nearly have gone all day though, which I guess is a good sign.

11.56km @ 7:16 pace (approx 10.4km of actual running)
    Ideal conditions, nice run, faster pace, but probably couldn't have kept up the same pace for too much longer.

6.39km @ 6:59 pace (approx 5.3km of actual running)
    Happy to get a fast run in ("fast" being relative to me) after having found the shorter runs had become slower for me as my distances increased.

4.97km @ 6:49 pace (all ran)
    Parkrun, back to a slow pace again, but felt like a comfortable enough run.

Two long walks midweek too - 6.3km leisurely and 4.6km brisk and steep.

I bought new runners, including having a gait analysis done (VERY enlightening) - I haven't tried out the new runners yet though.

I also bought a FR35, and used it for the first time at Parkrun, which showed the distance a little under the 5km, whereas previously MapMyRun always had it over at about 5.14km. I wonder which is more accurate.

And now that I've managed to do a 10km, I've been brave enough to sign up for the Fingal 10K, and sure, while I was at it, I signed up for the FD10 and the HM too. I'm still not brave enough to actually sign up for the DCM though. We'll see how the other races go. I'm excited.

I'm thinking the goal for next week is to stop running two long runs as I have been doing. Instead, increase one of them by a kilometre and decrease the other by a kilometre over the next couple of weeks, so that I'm relatively close to the HH plan when the time comes to start it. I also plan to finally deviate from my current routes, and try out some of the routes that Craig suggested, and/or some that I've mapped out myself. The further I go, the less inclined I am to do the same 1km circuit over and over, so it's really time to so that.

Also, anybody on this?? After my gait analysis, I really think I need to get a few things sorted before my distances increase too much:

Well done on all the runs this week. However you don't seem to specify the gap between your longer runs?

Overall you seem to be fairly close on the mileage front.

Just a word of warning about signing up for DCM itself? Last year it sold out in early August IIRC. So you will probably have to make a call on it before FD10, if not before Fingal?

In relation to physio, were you trying to find this thread?

I haven't been to any of them, so can't comment.

Advertisement