Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for all the good wishes. My SO is taking me for dinner tonight to cheer me up.... I'm craving a good steak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good wishes. My SO is taking me for dinner tonight to cheer me up.... I'm craving a good steak :)

Enjoy it and have a lovely evening out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Sent off a copy of my pace band to my friend who's a really excellent runner, a 2:32 marathoner and a DCM black belt looking for feedback, what he came back with is sage advice for all of us...
    Man just one issue with it.......very specific, mile by mile pacing plans go out the window fairly quickly. For whatever reasons: Weather, heat, cold, wind, your body not feeling well.
    What im saying is, run by feel man.
    Have your pacing plan there as a rough guide, but the mistake a lot of people make when it comes to DCM is they fail to run the course as it unfolds before them. Instead they run according to a pace plan that doesnt really take account of the actual terrain theyre running. Which means blow up city........my advice dude is to aim to be at halfway in 2:01/2:02.
    And in between the start and halfway run the course as it comes to you. Meaning if you get to hill( and theres plenty in the first half) slow right down and jog up it. Forget what it says on your pace band for that mile, just slow down, tap up the hill gently.
    Dont try to compensate for lost time, let it go because in the 2nd half theres lots of declines and fast stretches. And when you get to the 2nd half start to wind up the pace and be more aggressive.
    You'll get your 3:58 that way, trust me. But you need to be very careful in the first half.
    Also the very first mile is crucial. Most go tearing off like its the kentucky derby......take off like its a sunday afternoon jog. Let everyone else go. Which they will. Madness can grip you in the marathon. Your job is to keep your head while all around are losing theirs. Take off slowly and run the course. Then at halfway start to be aggressive. If you do that you'll win the day my friend.

Lazare wrote: »
    Sent off a copy of my pace band to my friend who's a really excellent runner, a 2:32 marathoner and a DCM black belt looking for feedback, what he came back with is sage advice for all of us...

Thanks Lazare. Very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I cant be the only one whos noticed as the runs and mileage have gotten shorter that the appetite has gone through the roof!! I just cant stop eating :( Another note for taper madness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I cant be the only one whos noticed as the runs and mileage have gotten shorter that the appetite has gone through the roof!! I just cant stop eating :( Another note for taper madness.

Mine has!! I'm trying to balance "listening to the body" and eating but also not going mad and not stopping when I should. I never had good appetite control which is what put me overweight to begin with (and led me to running as a way of losing what I'd put on). And the last thing I want is to still be going mad long after the marathon is over and undo all the hard work I've put in over the last two years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    Is this just part of normal taper procedure?

Last week - the first week of taper, the first week after attempting a 20 miler, 4 runs all felt incredibly difficult even though the distance on them dropped. Thought, fair enough, I'm still tired after my 20 miler, probably to be expected.

This week - 8 miles Monday, 6 miles Wednesday, 4 miles today. All of them difficult, but what has me worried, is that the 4 miles today was the hardest of the lot! I started out and it felt like I was on WK 1 Day 1 of my C25K plan again. I really wasn't sure I'd make 1km, never mind 6km+ (I did in the end, but it didn't feel in any way easy).

Normal? Can I still blame being tired after the 20 miler even though that's nearly two weeks ago now?

I feel like I'm losing fitness, and will struggle to make it across the Liffey in 9 days' time!! :(

Pretty Normal I'd say , your body is adjusting to all the training over the summer, It'll be different next week , certainly on the day when you get moving tiredness will be the last thing on your mind.

Go do the stuff that you've sacrificed all summer , catch a movie , binge on a box set, sleep , catch up on the soaps whatever it is you used to do before marathon training took over your life. Rock up on the day and become part of a very small minority of humans who complete a marathon. The fitness to do so is there now, , Boards Novices will amoung the best prepared runners lining up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Made a chocolate cake this evening. For no particular reason. Too early for 'carb loading'? :D

The Muppet wrote: »
    Pretty Normal I'd say , your body is adjusting to all the training over the summer, It'll be different next week , certainly on the day when you get moving tiredness will be the last thing on your mind.

Go do the stuff that you've sacrificed all summer , catch a movie , binge on a box set, sleep , catch up on the soaps whatever it is you used to do before marathon training took over your life. Rock up on the day and become part of a very small minority of humans who complete a marathon. The fitness to do so is there now, , Boards Novices will amoung the best prepared runners lining up on the day.

Thanks T. A relief to know it's not unexpected at this stage of the plan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Lazare wrote: »

I was looking at paces earlier. Definitely very complicated so I had divided it out into 4 sections with an average pace and time targets for 4 splits. Way too complicated otherwise and I think it would wreck your head trying to recalculate enroute when it doesn't go exactly to plan - which of course it won't!

Or I might just go out with the 4 hour pacers on a bunjie cord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No probs . Nerves, doubts etc are all part of it . Trust the plan . It works . ENJOY

Mine has!! I'm trying to balance "listening to the body" and eating but also not going mad and not stopping when I should. I never had good appetite control which is what put me overweight to begin with (and led me to running as a way of losing what I'd put on). And the last thing I want is to still be going mad long after the marathon is over and undo all the hard work I've put in over the last two years. :(
    Candamir wrote: »
    Made a chocolate cake this evening. For no particular reason. Too early for 'carb loading'? :D

Me too - been so good for the whole training program and losing the run of myself now! The weather the last week hasn’t helped as I bought a lot of food easy to cook in one pot if we lost electricity when i’d normally make everything from scratch. Eating way too much rubbish too. Anyway, sitting here doing an online shop and planning healthy meals for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Got the hair cut this afternoon. One thing ticked off the listðŸ˜

I've perfected scrambled eggs this week thanks to Hot Buttered Scones. Was never very successful with them before but now they're delish and my protein consumption has never been as high.

Ahh, the unexpected perks of being on this thread. It's not just about running it seems!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can't make the meet up tomorrow, have to do an airport trip. :) Expo next week. :eek:

I've perfected scrambled eggs this week thanks to Hot Buttered Scones. Was never very successful with them before but now they're delish and my protein consumption has never been as high.

Ahh, the unexpected perks of being on this thread. It's not just about running it seems!

U can't say that and then not share it :pac:

U can't say that and then not share it :pac:

HBS has it somewhere on here previously. But basically:

Whisk well to add lots of air
    Low heat on the hob
    Move it around the pan to stop it sticking but no more whisking
    Take off the heat when almost done and let it finish off in its own heat
    Don't season until the end of cooking

HBS has it somewhere on here previously. But basically:

Whisk well to add lots of air
    Low heat on the hob
    Move it around the pan to stop it sticking but no more whisking
    Take off the heat when almost done and let it finish off in its own heat
    Don't season until the end of cooking

Add dried fenugreek. Thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Bib No.| ]Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    12366|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    12367|dos29| 03:40:00|
    12368|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    12369|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|

Planning to make 6 of the 8 miles tomorrow (working at 12 so have to cut it short). see some of you there :)

Yay, looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Enjoy the meet up this morning I have training in the Phoenix Park @ 1000 so if you see lads doing XC Loops just off the Chesterfield Avenue (most likely well muddy after the rain) I will be one of them!

My week:

Monday - 8 miles - 13.6km @ 7:39 in Ophelia, but 'twas grand as she hadn't hit yet
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 6 miles - 10.88km @ 7:34, freezing!
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 4 miles - 6.48km @ 7:22, as mentioned above, very tough, feeling taper-tired.
    Saturday - 3 miles - Parkrun @ 6:41 - what a difference 24 hours makes! Much faster than any run in three weeks (still relatively slow, for obvious reasons, didn't push for a PB or anything), but felt very easy, very comfortable and very strong even in the wind and rain of Brian. A wee bit of confidence back now.
    Sunday - planned rest

Total for the week - 29.46km

Roll on final week! :eek:!!!!!

Had to have scrambled eggs for breakfast after all this talk yesterday. First Saturday in months that I haven't been up at 6am or earlier for my lsr. Was not going out in a storm Brian. The worst of it was about 7am in Cork. Will do my 8 miles tomorrow night instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Missed the run in phoenix park run this morning as my oh needed the car (incidentally to run with her own running club!). Hope it was an enjoyable run and that the weather held out

Lazare, what’s your plan now based on what your friend said about your paceband? I’m just making mine here. Think i’ll still go with the one from mymarathonpace as Plan A but be prepared to not use it if annoying me. I’m hoping it will keep me in check if nothing else as if I run by feel in the first half I could easily go too fast.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Lazare, what’s your plan now based on what your friend said about your paceband? I’m just making mine here. Think i’ll still go with the one from mymarathonpace as Plan A but be prepared to not use it if annoying me. I’m hoping it will keep me in check if nothing else as if I run by feel in the first half I could easily go too fast.

Pretty much the same as you. I'm going to wear it and use it as a guide but not be a slave to it. Wore it this morning to make sure it was easy to read etc and it worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just a quick word to say thanks to all the Novices who turned up this morning. Lovely relaxed run and very enjoyable treats in the Phoenix Cafe afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just a quick word to say thanks to all the Novices who turned up this morning. Lovely relaxed run and very enjoyable treats in the Phoenix Cafe afterwards.

Lovely morning I really enjoyed it, it was great meeting everyone :) and chatting to you all

Only 1 week to go :)

Fair play to everyone meeting up, raging I missed it but fingers crossed I meet a few of yas next weekend!! Off out in this wind now is the last thing I wanna do after work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Likewise! It was great to put faces to the names. No matter what happens with my injury I'll see you all in Mcgrattans next week.

Advertisement