Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

leesider77 wrote: »
    Likewise! It was great to put faces to the names. No matter what happens with my injury I'll see you all in Mcgrattans next week.

How are you since Leesider, any improvement?

I'd have love to have met some of you today. Roll on next Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

ariana` wrote: »

Thanks for asking Ariana. I'm sorry to hear your updates. The bruised feeling in my foot is still there. Im not in any great pain or anything. I walked a good bit on it yesterday to see how it felt and was no worse, no better afterwards. I decided to give it one more day before trying to run on it again - for no real reason only that I'm delaying any bad news. For sure if I am lucky enough to line up on the day I'll have no target and will jog/walk around soaking up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hope the 5 miles goes well tomorrow Ariana.

Thanks for asking Ariana. I'm sorry to hear your updates. The bruised feeling in my foot is still there. Im not in any great pain or anything. I walked a good bit on it yesterday to see how it felt and was no worse, no better afterwards. I decided to give it one more day before trying to run on it again - for no real reason only that I'm delaying any bad news. For sure if I am lucky enough to line up on the day I'll have no target and will jog/walk around soaking up the atmosphere.

Leesider I'm glad it's no worse. I hope the run tomorrow goes well. We're in the same boat, in a way I think that IF i get to run then the injury will have been a good thing because I'm definitely not stressing about target times or any of that now, it will be a case of getting around in one piece. It's a waiting game for us both but hopefully we both have a positive report after tomorrow's runs.

Hope the 5 miles goes well tomorrow Ariana.

Thank you. I wonder if I'm fine at 5 should I go to 6 or even a bit beyond 6? There was an 8 on the plan for this weekend anyhow. It won't be an issue if I don't get to 5 pain free but if I did I'd be tempted.... he mentioned another 5-6 on Wednesday but I'd rather tomorrow be longer than Wed from a tapering perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Personally I would go with what the Physio has suggested; not sure what benefits would be gained by doing more tomorrow. When you get through the 5 miles ok tomorrow take the 5-6 on Wednesday nice and easy....I can't see any affects on your taper by doing that.

Thank you. I wonder if I'm fine at 5 should I go to 6 or even a bit beyond 6? There was an 8 on the plan for this weekend anyhow. It won't be an issue if I don't get to 5 pain free but if I did I'd be tempted.... he mentioned another 5-6 on Wednesday but I'd rather tomorrow be longer than Wed from a tapering perspective.

Personally I would go with what the Physio has suggested; not sure what benefits would be gained by doing more tomorrow. When you get through the 5 miles ok tomorrow take the 5-6 on Wednesday nice and easy....I can't see any affects on your taper by doing that.
    Ya you're right. Hopefully get to 5 anyhow that's the 1st step. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Another intense physio session - hams & ITB mostly. I'm taped up now with kinesiology tape. He/we didn't make a call on it today, he said it's 50/50 now but he's less optimistic than he was on Tuesday :cool: Wednesday's run really threw him for six, as it did me :rolleyes:. The plan now is 5m on Sunday, back to him on Tuesday and 6m on Wednesday. If those runs aren't both pain free then I'm out, if they are well then I'll have a chance.

There's an S&C gym next to where I work, he recommended i spend 3 sessions a week in there for the Winter months, and that i'd come out a different runner next February and be in an ideal place to train for a late Spring/Summer marathon or any other distance. So whether i end up a DNS, a DNF or a Finisher i have a post-marathon plan :cool:

I feel like crying now, the strong likelihood of being a DNS is sinking in, maybe i've been in denial to some degree :o

You've done great training, it would be good to know what aspects are weak on your body so you can target them going fwd - a good S&C regime is crucial to long distance runners, especially novice marathoners as they haven't built up the muscle development to fully take on the distance.

Take a lot of credit for your training and also from your inputs here - they've been valuable and you've helped so many with your great attitude.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Are kids allowed in McGrattans next week anyone know.?

Every year I've been in, there's been kids about the place - its a good family atmosphere and never seems to be packed for some reason.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Is this just part of normal taper procedure?

Last week - the first week of taper, the first week after attempting a 20 miler, 4 runs all felt incredibly difficult even though the distance on them dropped. Thought, fair enough, I'm still tired after my 20 miler, probably to be expected.

This week - 8 miles Monday, 6 miles Wednesday, 4 miles today. All of them difficult, but what has me worried, is that the 4 miles today was the hardest of the lot! I started out and it felt like I was on WK 1 Day 1 of my C25K plan again. I really wasn't sure I'd make 1km, never mind 6km+ (I did in the end, but it didn't feel in any way easy).

Normal? Can I still blame being tired after the 20 miler even though that's nearly two weeks ago now?

I feel like I'm losing fitness, and will struggle to make it across the Liffey in 9 days' time!! :(

perfectly normal - its why we call it taper madness.

I have a 4m run on Wednesday - of of these will be at MP - I know now, that this will feel like 5k pace and I'll be wondering how I can hold it for 26.2 miles.
    All totally normal.

I had an epsom salts bath last night - helps with leg fatigue - no longer than 15 mins though. (& don't have one the night before a race).

Also bought a long sleeved top for €3 in Pennys - I cut mine down the middle so the bib can be seen (for wave entry etc) and it also makes it easier to take off when the race starts. (also a pair of gloves for €4 :) )

Just have to sort my Gels during the week and I'm good to go.

Cant really believe its just over a week away :eek::eek:

Thand AMK for your kind words. Whatever happens I have no regrets.

This is a good read... I must admit I am someone who would've thought taking a walking break is a sign of not being able for the distance, this throws a new light on it...

https://www.runnersworld.com/racing/why-you-should-take-walk-breaks/slide/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This is a good read... I must admit I am someone who would've thought taking a walking break is a sign of not being able for the distance, this throws a new light on it...

https://www.runnersworld.com/racing/why-you-should-take-walk-breaks/slide/3

Yeah I'd feel the same as you yet the personal trainer I went to for S&C a while back is a major advocate of walk breaks - not that I listened to him of course!! You can see why they would be good every now and then though - I'm thinking even when fumbling with a zero tab trying to put it into a bottle maybe would be a good time to walk.

Leesider I'm glad it's no worse. I hope the run tomorrow goes well. We're in the same boat, in a way I think that IF i get to run then the injury will have been a good thing because I'm definitely not stressing about target times or any of that now, it will be a case of getting around in one piece. It's a waiting game for us both but hopefully we both have a positive report after tomorrow's runs.

Look on the bright side.... we'll be able to come back again and be part of the 2018 novice thread!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I drove the route today. At least, as best I could what with one-way streets and no-right turns - hopefully on The Day I won't have to take the re-routes I did while driving :P I'd studied it already pretty well on Google Street View but seeing it in the flesh was useful as it gave a new perspective. Today, I'm feeling optimistic. Who knows what tomorrow will bring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Lazare wrote: »
    I'd wear the old ones if I were you, assuming it's an option.

I switched back to my old runners. There is 500 miles on them but I feel a lot more comfortable in them.

Left calf is a bit tight but have a sports massage booked for Monday night.

Look on the bright side.... we'll be able to come back again and be part of the 2018 novice thread!

Haha true!! But I think I might feel like I was doing the dirt on WW and all the 2017 gang LOL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Someone posted a really interesting link to DCM stats a week or two ago but I can't remember who or when, anyone got the link?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

El Caballo wrote: »
    Someone posted a really interesting link to DCM stats a week or two ago but I can't remember who or when, anyone got the link?:)

A really great read.

https://medium.com/running-with-data/fast-starts-slow-finishes-dublin-edition-46663817a05f#.8blclkh30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just got an email the 3/4 Marathon is open for registration and early Bird Entry is €29 until the end of this month with free name transfer until 24/09/17

Just in case anyone wants to register :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

[quote8="leesider77;105041689"]Look on the bright side.... we'll be able to come back again and be part of the 2018 novice thread!

Haha true!! But I think I might feel like I was doing the dirt on WW and all the 2017 gang LOL ;)[/quote]

And you'd be right. I'm appalled that that this is even being mentioned, on the day I finally met ye properly for the first time ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

So who is up for a massive group photo on the day?

I know I want a souvenir and reminder of this amazing journey we've all travelled together.

Logistically it would make most sense to do it that afternoon, rather than adding extra pressure pre race.

What y'all think?

• Advertisement

I know I want a souvenir and reminder of this amazing journey we've all travelled together.

Logistically it would make most sense to do it that afternoon, rather than adding extra pressure pre race.

What y'all think?

Great idea :)

Yes definitely!

What y'all think?

Great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Woke up this morning is a world of pain , can't breathe bad cough throats throbbing etc , had a day on the beer hopefully this clears in a few days or clinakiltly be the goal .

Woke up this morning is a world of pain , can't breathe bad cough throats throbbing etc , had a day on the beer hopefully this clears in a few days or clinakiltly be the goal .

Loads of rest and fluids and doc if needed and I hope it clears quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Vitamins, cough bottles, rest and hydration. I'm in the same spot right now, nearly a week and a half of sickness which has turned into a chest infection, feel terrible and getting edgy now, just slept for close to 19 hours:eek:. The most important thing right now is looking after yourself, make sure you are well hydrated, bed early, take on vitamin supplements as your appetite may be suppressed and you need those vitamins to fight the sickness and of course, a cough bottle to clear your throat lungs.

Clicker I've a head cold too but as I'm also injured it seems the least of my worries :(

I'm making tea with fresh ginger and lemon. Always works for me. Also plenty of rest and fluids. Hope you're better very soon x

Oh no to all the the sickness. Medicate to the max and rest as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

You'll be cool man, we're a week out. Forget your midweek session, you've done more than enough anyway, and rest up. You'll kick that by Tue or Wed, then eat well and rest well for the rest of the week.

Turn up Sunday morn and smash it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

7 DAYS 00 HOURS 16 MINS 15 SECS
    To go. :pac:

Advertisement