Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

7 DAYS 00 HOURS 16 MINS 15 SECS
    To go. :pac:

You'll be late! Hahahaha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I know. :P Website strangeness.

Beautiful morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You'll be late! Hahahaha

Not with the time going back ;) Or at least I don't think so but the time change is a head wreck :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ariana` wrote: »
    Not with the time going back ;) Or at least I don't think so but the time change is a head wreck :(

Well, someone is on the ball this morning. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's gas, I was curious about that myself, opened that page at 9:20 and was wondering why it said 7 days 40 mins. Well sleuthed ariana.

• Advertisement

Now now, if it was a countdown in hours you'd be right but the reference to days means he'd be late. Just so happens there's a 25 hour day included ;-)

I know. :P Website strangeness.

Beautiful morning here.

Wouldn't it be perfect for next week....without the breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Don't worry it is going to be overcast and 10c next Sunday with no wind....ideal weather....I have requested it for the novices!

Don't worry it is going to be overcast and 10c next Sunday with no wind....ideal weather....I have requested it for the novices!
    You've thought of everything ;)

Could u request a new knee for me and a new foot for Leesider while you're at it :)

And maybe a new knee for Damo? Damo how are you doing?

Noted and requested! Good luck with the 5 miles today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    12366|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    12367|dos29| 03:40:00|
    12368|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    12369|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    12370|choons| 03:29:59|

Hey all, I'm way behind on the thread but looking forward to the big day. Hopefully I have copied the table correctly. See you next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Back from my Italian adventures, we all had a blast, hanging out in the sun, eating pasta, drinking wine and even managed to fit some racing in. I learnt that my fear of heights means it is a really stupid thing to drive over mountains and I love the Swiss engineering that allows rail tunnels to be built through mountains big enough for car transporter trains so that we could make it home because no way could I have driven over the Simplon pass again.

Unfortunately all of the driving has made my Achilles problem worse, as of course it is my right leg, accelerator and brake leg. I did 3 miles yesterday and had to walk half of it, am hoping that with some rest it will be OK for Sunday. I can walk on it no problem so if I get to the start, I will make it to the finish line.

Really sorry to read about the injuries from my fellow novices, the human body can be very frustrating sometimes.

A week to go - eek how did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    Back from my Italian adventures, we all had a blast, hanging out in the sun, eating pasta, drinking wine and even managed to fit some racing in. I learnt that my fear of heights means it is a really stupid thing to drive over mountains and I love the Swiss engineering that allows rail tunnels to be built through mountains big enough for car transporter trains so that we could make it home because no way could I have driven over the Simplon pass again.

Unfortunately all of the driving has made my Achilles problem worse, as of course it is my right leg, accelerator and brake leg. I did 3 miles yesterday and had to walk half of it, am hoping that with some rest it will be OK for Sunday. I can walk on it no problem so if I get to the start, I will make it to the finish line.

Really sorry to read about the injuries from my fellow novices, the human body can be very frustrating sometimes.

A week to go - eek how did that happen?

Welcome back! I'm in no way jealous of the highlighted bit :D

Get as well rested as you can, and fingers crossed we'll see you on the start line, and at the finish!

Welcome back muddypaws!

Speaking of walking it - is there a time cut-off?

I ran my 5m and all was fine. I took it easy but if I get to run MP is going to be easy pace or slower so essentially I just did 5m @ MP :D

I did another cryotherapy bath after. I'm starting to enjoy them strangely enough :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Welcome back muddypaws!

I ran my 5m and all was fine. I took it easy but if I get to run MP is going to be easy pace or slower so essentially I just did 5m @ MP :D

I did another cryotherapy bath after. I'm starting to enjoy them strangely enough :)

7 hours, though I'm not sure from when. If from last wave (9.30) that'd take it up to 4.30pm.

Welcome back muddypaws!

Great news, so glad to read you're still in the game!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    7 hours, though I'm not sure from when. If from last wave (9.30) that'd take it up to 4.30pm.

Actually 4.30pm is about right if the below is to be believed:

route-timetable-2017-707x1024.jpg

Great news, so glad to read you're still in the game!
    Oh yes I hope so. I'm getting paranoid about every tiny twinge but I'm feeling more hopeful now after that. It's been such a rollercoaster. I don't feel like I'm tapering in the true sense, I'm just following my physios advice now and doing what I can to get better and test the knee within limits. I think a part of me doesn't expect to be lining up so I haven't really invested in this phase of the plan. I have a head cold and I'm not freaking out but now maybe I should be.... HR was definitely higer than normal on that run :eek:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I cant be the only one whos noticed as the runs and mileage have gotten shorter that the appetite has gone through the roof!! I just cant stop eating :( Another note for taper madness.

Rice cake addict here.

Not long back from the supermarket and somewhere in the daze in the middle of an aisle I remembered there's a marathon next week...

The Final Week !!!

And so, we're almost at journey's end. In relation to the training, at any rate :)

What a 17 weeks it's been so far - actually longer, since this thread started in early May, and we had people joining us from the beginning. It seems like a long time ago now!

I was delighted to be part of the DCM Novices meetup in the Phoenix Park yesterday, and at last put some faces to names (although I vaguely remembered Sheep1978 from the Race Series HM). leesider was also kind enough to give up her time and meet us afterwards, although not running herself. Any update, dare I ask?

Hoping that she as well as ariana, muddypaws, statina, Damo, and anyone else who I can't think of as I'm typing, will make it to the start. Whatever happens in the race itself, even getting that far represents a great achievement and reward for all the training you've put yourselves through over the last number of months.

By now you should have decided on race day attire, and hopefully have some idea of what you'll be eating, drinking etc. Be confident, be positive and sleep well! This is going to be a very special experience, and what's more, if all goes to plan, this time next week you will no longer be DCM Novices, but DCM GRADUATES :D

Thanks as always to my collaborators and everyone else who continues to post here :)

Plans for the final week below. Yes, we still have a few "other" runs to do! Same rules apply in relation to pacing - just because the runs are shorter, doesn't mean you should do them faster.

HHN1: Rest + 3M easy + 4M easy + 2M easy + rest + rest + DCM 2017!!!

Boards: (Rest/cross/2M rec) + 2M easy + (1M w/u, 3M PMP, 1M c/d) + 3M easy + rest + 2M easy + DCM 2017!!!

More to follow in the coming days. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

You've thought of everything ;)

Could u request a new knee for me and a new foot for Leesider while you're at it :)

And maybe a new knee for Damo? Damo how are you doing?
    Felt smashing on my short run the day after the physio, it was only short but knee didn't bother whatsoever. Yesterday's run wasn't too bad, the knee was definitely bothering me but not as soon as it did last week! Don't know what it was but I could barely walk last night, whether it's the cold or not I don't know but it was excruciating, grand today. The first run after a physio appointment seems to be the best, wondering if I skip the 2m on Thursday then my first run after physio will be Sunday :D

I've read conflicting reports that an IT Band strap has helped people get through races/marathons with relieving the pain, and some have said they don't work at all. Might get one to give it a try during the week and maybe wear it Sunday

I've come to terms that I will have to stop and walk at some stage(s) and that 4hr is way out the window, but I'm happy that I'll be able to take to the line! Fundraising is going great too, can't believe the support people have shown and at the end of the day this is what it's all about for me, doing what I can to help a cause close to home.

Sounds positive! Great news same again on Wed hopefully
    Welcome back muddypaws!

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Felt smashing on my short run the day after the physio, it was only short but knee didn't bother whatsoever. Yesterday's run wasn't too bad, the knee was definitely bothering me but not as soon as it did last week! Don't know what it was but I could barely walk last night, whether it's the cold or not I don't know but it was excruciating, grand today. The first run after a physio appointment seems to be the best, wondering if I skip the 2m on Thursday then my first run after physio will be Sunday :D

I've read conflicting reports that an IT Band strap has helped people get through races/marathons with relieving the pain, and some have said they don't work at all. Might get one to give it a try during the week and maybe wear it Sunday

I've come to terms that I will have to stop and walk at some stage(s) and that 4hr is way out the window, but I'm happy that I'll be able to take to the line! Fundraising is going great too, can't believe the support people have shown and at the end of the day this is what it's all about for me, doing what I can to help a cause close to home.

Great news. And brilliant attitude. Everyone will be in pain at some stage I guess it's to know yout limits and the line between normal manageable pain that will have no lasting consequences beyond a few days to pain that could have long term effects. Let us know how the strap goes? I was taped up for today's run, not sure if that's the same? He used kinesiology tape on Friday and it's still on. I'd sat pulling it fff will be fun :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Just a reminder, Tomorrow is Toenail Tuesday Monday, doesn't quite have the same ring to it since they moved the race to Sunday. Anyway, Tomorrow is the perfect day to trim back them toenails before raceday to avoid as many nail problems as possible.

A few tips for this week as well

Sleep: A lot of it. This is your last chance to recover before the big day, use your time wisely and make sure you have plenty of sleep got this week, no looking at boards at midnight;). It's just one week so make sure you night owls are tucked up and in bed early.

Nutrition: Make sure you are eating well and cleanly. This is also not the time to be trying new things like choking down 8 bowls of pasta a day just because you read in runnersworld that it is the ideal marathon prep. Go with what you know and have tried over the last few months, no need to go mad as your body will be storing up fuel from the drop in volume over the last few weeks of the taper. Do not try anything new on the morning of the race.

Hydration: Make sure you are well hydrated in the days leading up to the race, carry a bottle of water with you and drink when thirsty.

Organistion:If you already haven't, now is the time to start organising how you will get to the expo and start line and home. You do not want to be panicking at the last minute trying to figure out what, where and how you are going. Be early and minimise the fuss.

Gear: Make sure everything is packed and ready the night before inc. race number pinned to vest. Tape or bodyglide any spots that have or are potential spots for chafing(nipples, armpits, inner thighs Etc.) Be prepared for any weather conditions for the warm-up(jacket, extra top or bin bag which you are willing to toss away). Personally, I find it better to start in the gear that will be suitable for later in the race. I rather be cold for the first 3 miles than too warm for the last 10 but that's just my preference.

Doubts: You will doubt yourself this week but try to think back to how far you've come over the last few months, You are in a better position now than you ever were before to take on the trials of a marathon. Believe!

And probably most important of all

Have a blast!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Hi everyone. I'm definitely out now. Pulled up at 6.5km with a severe pain in my right hip/glute again. So it's this and not my foot that has finally finished me. The pain goes from zero to stopping me in my tracks in the space of one minute. So no way I can line up. Im upset of course but happier to find out now than to start and have to pull out on the day.

Good luck to everyone this week. I really hope that I will the one and only that doesn't make it to the start line.

Thanks for all the advice along the way. It's been a blast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Sorry to hear that Leesider. Gutted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

So sorry to hear that Leesider, I hope you recovers quick and fully to run another marathon early 2018.

Sorry to hear that Leesider......there will be other marathons. Get yourself sorted and structure a plan to get you back.

Stick around and support everyone you have been part of this journey and your support will help the other novices.....who by this time next week will be graduates!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sorry to hear that leesider. Recover well and you'll come back stronger for your next tilt.

• Advertisement

leesider77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm definitely out now. Pulled up at 6.5km with a severe pain in my right hip/glute again. So it's this and not my foot that has finally finished me. The pain goes from zero to stopping me in my tracks in the space of one minute. So no way I can line up. Im upset of course but happier to find out now than to start and have to pull out on the day.

Good luck to everyone this week. I really hope that I will the one and only that doesn't make it to the start line.

Thanks for all the advice along the way. It's been a blast!!!

So sorry you're out G. Hard to make that decision but it seems to be the right one. Hope it heals soon and there will be more marathons for you.

Advertisement