Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Just thought I'd share Singer's excellent map from last year detailing the amended course finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Really sorry to read that leesider, it's a bit of a drastic way to be allowed in the novices thread again next year ;) seriously though, really gutted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Really sorry to read that leesider, the training is tough on the body but it will stand to you in whatever direction you choose to take with your running once you have recovered , the best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Sorry to hear that Leesider......there will be other marathons. Get yourself sorted and structure a plan to get you back.

Stick around and support everyone you have been part of this journey and your support will help the other novices.....who by this time next week will be graduates!

Oh don't worry you won't get rid of me yet. I'd never miss out on a good party ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

So sorry you're out G. Hard to make that decision but it seems to be the right one. Hope it heals soon and there will be more marathons for you.

Thanks WW! I definitely have unfinished business. It may not be Dublin as in hind sight sep/oct is a stressful time every year at work so not ideal to combine with marathon training. But who knows where I'll be in 12 months....

You promised me some PBs when I signed up and I will never forget the euphoria of smashing my PB in the fingal 10km and even though I didn't race the half, I still got a PB and felt like I was flying ( for me!) down those hills.

( a tear may have been shed in the writing of this post ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

leesider77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm definitely out now. Pulled up at 6.5km with a severe pain in my right hip/glute again. So it's this and not my foot that has finally finished me. The pain goes from zero to stopping me in my tracks in the space of one minute. So no way I can line up. Im upset of course but happier to find out now than to start and have to pull out on the day.

Good luck to everyone this week. I really hope that I will the one and only that doesn't make it to the start line.

Thanks for all the advice along the way. It's been a blast!!!

Gutted for you Leesider. It's a tough call to make. You will be back and back stronger no doubt about it though I know that is little consolation now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Just posted this elsewhere thought it may come in handy for folks here also
    Best of luck to everyone competing in DCM next week. For anyone nervous or unsure about this week and how to approach it here is some of the advice I give my athletes;

1. Sleep - Just like an exam don't cram, try get an extra hour or two a night. The most important night sleep is the Friday rather than saturday, Try to ensure that the body is not trying to catch up on sleep going into Saturday (for a number of reasons but one big one is nerves may hinder a decent sleep that night which is okay if the body is well rested in the mean time) Remember also that clocks go back so no harm getting used to waking up an hour later this week just to get the body right

2. Food - Don't do anything new or crazy. Stick to what you know. I would advise generally to stick to red meats earlier in the week and come Wednesday/ Thursday aim to have more chicken and fish just to take pressure off your intestines (can take up to 48 hrs to fully digest red meat which is energy that can be used better elsewhere). If you want to Carb load change the ratio's of you meal rather than horsing in extra calories, many people make the mistake of gorging rather than carb loading.

3. Hydration - Drink water frequently throughout the week, this will help nurtient's get to area's they need to help recovery which is main role of taper

4. Dress rehearsal - Aim to do one short run this week going through your whole pre race ritual (same meal's same wake up time even same race gear) This can reduce chances of race day nerves causing you to go out like crazy and suffering from going out too fast

5. You should feel like you are straining at the leash at half way so don't go out too hard. It's a 20 mile warm up to a 10k race ;)

6. Look back through your training log and remind yourself of the training you have put in. We tend to forget those one or two missed sessions easier than the 95% we hit so no harm reminding ourselves of the work put in.

Enjoy it. I raced my first proper Marathon this time last year and for any of you who have not done it before the support around the streets of Dublin is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Thanks WW! I definitely have unfinished business. It may not be Dublin as in hind sight sep/oct is a stressful time every year at work so not ideal to combine with marathon training. But who knows where I'll be in 12 months....

You promised me some PBs when I signed up and I will never forget the euphoria of smashing my PB in the fingal 10km and even though I didn't race the half, I still got a PB and felt like I was flying ( for me!) down those hills.

( a tear may have been shed in the writing of this post ;-))

I am so sorry Leesider but love your positive outluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Gutted for you Leesider, it's really tough for you right now, but what's still there is the colossal improvement you've made to your fitness over the last 17 weeks.

Horrible that you are forced to miss this one but you have set yourself up so so well to tackle the first available marathon that pops up once you're healed. And we'll be screaming you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just posted this elsewhere thought it may come in handy for folks here also

:D

• Advertisement

:D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nearly there folks - just dont do anything stupid in the coming 6 days.

In the immortal words of a guy who posts on Boards and is a 2:3x marathoner (albeit an injured one.....)

DFIU
    Dont F*ck it Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just thought I'd share Singer's excellent map from last year detailing the amended course finish line.

That is brilliant :D

Nearly there folks - just dont do anything stupid in the coming 6 days.

In the immortal words of a guy who posts on Boards and is a 2:3x marathoner (albeit an injured one.....)

DFIU
    Dont F*ck it Up.

Remember Sean Hehir before PB'ing in London a few years back writing the following words on his hand

"Don't be sh!t"

Seemed to work a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Haha, I forgot about last year’s version. Some of my best work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I cycle to and from work, about 10k each way. Should I be doing this this week, or should I get the train towards the end of the week? I reckon I'd be fine to continue doing it and just do less running (obviously), but then I think I'd rather under-do the exercise this week than over-do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Very funny. And actually quite useful for those of us not too familiar with that part of the city! If I make it around the 26.2 the last thing I'll want is to be wasting energy wandering around lost. ( I have no sense of direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I cycle to and from work, about 10k each way. Should I be doing this this week, or should I get the train towards the end of the week? I reckon I'd be fine to continue doing it and just do less running (obviously), but then I think I'd rather under-do the exercise this week than over-do it.

You'll be perfectly fine if you continue to cycle. If you're paranoid maybe take the train on Friday, and if you're REALLY paranoid take the train on Thursday as well.

Just don't crash on your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 19 of 20:

Mon: Rest
    Tues: 6m @ 9.50 - nice and easy
    Wed am: 4.25m @ 8.32
    Wed pm : session in the altitude chamber in the gym
    Thurs: 4.6m @ 8.20 - threw a couple of MP miles in the middle to open the legs up
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 8.35m @ 9.59 - meet up with some of the boards novices. Great to put some faces to the names!!
    Sun: 2.55m @ 8.43 - jog to the shops to loosen the legs

1 week left with as much rest as possible. Nearly there!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Into the final 6 days who would have thought!

This time next week getting up and down the stairs and using the bathroom will be a different experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

You'll be perfectly fine if you continue to cycle. If you're paranoid maybe take the train on Friday, and if you're REALLY paranoid take the train on Thursday as well.

Just don't crash on your bike!

Cheers, I'll try my best not to fall/crash/get hit by a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andy31

This has probably been answered numerous times but what is the advice re taking gels, sugar etc?  I was planning on taking one in the first half, and then topping up every 5 miles from 13/14 miles on.  So about 4 in total.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Taper madness has really set in with me. Planking myself this morning. Worried I'm getting a cold, worried I'm gonna crash my car, worried I'm gonna break my toe, worried I'm gonna slip on a banana. Worried someone else's stupidity is gonna kill the dream.

Wish I could just go to sleep now and wake up Sunday morning.

Andy31 wrote: »
    This has probably been answered numerous times but what is the advice re taking gels, sugar etc?  I was planning on taking one in the first half, and then topping up every 5 miles from 13/14 miles on.  So about 4 in total.....

I'd say follow the advice and stick with whatever system you tested on your long runs late in your training plan. The number of gels should be time related so you need more the longer you are running for. If you aren't taking any sports drinks, jellies or fruit and relying on gels alone it would seem to my untrained eye that 4 isn't enough, nor is one in the first half. It might be dodgy to drastically increase it if you have never tested it.

Edit: it's time dependent so if you are aiming for a 2.30 marathon 4 gels during the race would be enough, if it's 6 hours you'd need more carbs.

Lazare wrote: »
    Taper madness has really set in with me. Planking myself this morning. Worried I'm getting a cold, worried I'm gonna crash my car, worried I'm gonna break my toe, worried I'm gonna slip on a banana. Worried someone else's stupidity is gonna kill the dream.

Ah yeah, you'd try anything to get out of the night feeds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Cheers, I'll try my best not to fall/crash/get hit by a truck.

Don't know if either of you saw this?

https://www.facebook.com/stannesparkrun/

This guy had a lucky escape indeed. Some man for getting up the next morning and carrying out his RD duties. He (christeb) used to be fairly active in these parts. The guy to his left in the photo, in the yellow and green singlet is RayCun, a former DCM Novices mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

I cycle in over a similar distance and spoke to a physio about it at the weekend - he actively encouraged it. Said it was an ideal low impact way to keep the legs moving. Very low injury risk with regard to muscle damage but probably best to take it handy on the bike to avoid incidents.

My issue this week is that i'm travelling tomorrow early until friday night so the 3 and 4 mile runs to keep loose will have to be on a treadmill which I do not like. Might have to give em a skip.

Not long now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I commute by bike all year round 15km each way , I dropped the bike commute when I upped the training just to give the body a break , I am rarely ever sick but started to notice a chorus of coughs and sniffles on the bus the last couple of weeks. I'm in bits now so something to consider , the train is probably not as bad as the bus , i'm really looking forward to saying goodbye to public transport and getting back on the bike next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Lazare wrote: »

I was thinking like this about a month ago I felt perfectly ready for the marathon around half marathon time. At least I'm sick now can't get sick again , they should really have marathon in September instead of waiting for flu season.
    You'll be fine.

Advertisement