Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I was thinking like this about a month ago I felt perfectly ready for the marathon around half marathon time. At least I'm sick now can't get sick again , they should really have marathon in September instead of waiting for flu season.
    You'll be fine.

Cheers man, how you doing? Feeling any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Marathon week!

Best of luck to all the 2017 Novices, WW and his assistants have done a fine job getting you to this stage in the game. Hope all goes to plan for you and make sure to have a few backup plans in the pocket in case it doesn't as hard to call things on your first time out at the distance. Make sure to really savour that last mile in to the finishline, like myself then you'll probably be back for more #DCM2015NoviceWhoRanItAgainIn2016AndRunningAgainThisYear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Lazare wrote: »
    Cheers man, how you doing? Feeling any better?

Feel like crap , heads all blocked throat is in bits can't swallow at all or talk , chesty but not coughing , ears are hurting.

I've decided I'm going to do it though , runners are awfully negative folk come race they people start doubting their goals , doubting their training , revising their times , I'm going to buck that trend , my training has been amazing , my goals are within reach and I'm running 3.16 no matter what state I get to the start line.
    There's a guy running the marathon with cystic fibrosis I can't let a sore throat stop me. I'll probably end up with 10 days full rest before it you don't lose any fitness over 10 days. No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any tips for supporters? My SO is planning on going to the PP as he can walk to there from where he's staying on the navan rd. But he'd like to go into the finish area as well. Any tips for parking? Also with regards to bringing in the kids, what are the crowds like. Too much for a buggy? Or too much walking/hanging around for slightly older kids (4 & 7)? He's hoping to avoid bringing all 3 but he's wondering which ones would be easiest to manage, the toddler in the buggy or the older pair on foot?

I personally think the older pair will get more from the experience and the buzz etc. but it's also easier to leave the older pair, the toddler is more clingy but i can't blame him for being hesitant about managing all 3 especially when my finish time is very very uncertain.

** Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure i am running yet but i'm starting to think about the logistics :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Any tips for supporters? My SO is planning on going to the PP as he can walk to there from where he's staying on the navan rd. But he'd like to go into the finish area as well. Any tips for parking? Also with regards to bringing in the kids, what are the crowds like. Too much for a buggy? Or too much walking/hanging around for slightly older kids (4 & 7)? He's hoping to avoid bringing all 3 but he's wondering which ones would be easiest to manage, the toddler in the buggy or the older pair on foot?

I personally think the older pair will get more from the experience and the buzz etc. but it's also easier to leave the older pair, the toddler is more clingy but i can't blame him for being hesitant about managing all 3 especially when my finish time is very very uncertain.

** Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure i am running yet but i'm starting to think about the logistics :eek:

I went into the finish 2 years ago to see my SO finish. It was manic. I had to walk back streets to try to work my way around to Mount Street. The crowds were 5 deep on the footpaths. I had to go about 800m/ 1k out to get a proper unrestricted view. This was at about the time the 4-5 hour finishers were coming in. It's impossible to try to meet someone at the finish really. Better to arrange a meeting point far from the madding crowd.

The PP is great for viewing everyone go by, he'll have no worries there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

My wife goes to the PP and she goes to Milltown, just where the Luas stop meets the route....big crowds there but you might see them and they'll see you.
    In regards parking, I've prebooked parking in the Stephen's Green car park....works out around 20 quid and you can leave the car all day....about as near as you'll get the start line and pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for that Sean, good to know this as we were debating if herself and kids should come up to Dublin to pick me up after the race. My six year old really want to go to a birthday party instead. Looks like I will be getting the bus in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Not sure if here or where but I saw a suggestion of getting supporters to go to mile 24/25 and it is quieter than the finish line so hopefully they'll see you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

I think I've gone into denial mode now and don't seem to be thinking about things as much as some of the rest of ye. I think its my way of coping, I get stressed dealing with the unknown and this whole thing is one big unknown to me!! I'll be dreading it nearer the time and wondering what I've done this to myself for!

My last week hasn't been great.

Day Date Miles Time Pace
    Tuesday 17-Oct 4.05 39.15 9.41
    Wednesday 18-Oct 4.04 38.37 9.34
    Friday 20-Oct 4.09 40 9.47
    Sunday 22-Oct 8.01 1.20.09 10

Every last run felt hard and I had phantom pains in every part of me!
    I've kind of resigned myself to the fact now that I've messed up all the training and made the apparently worst mistake ever with all my long runs, I no longer call them LSR as they are not slow!!! I'm really wishing I'd trained harder and wiser but no point looking back.

Still I know I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in and shouldn't be negative when some of you have had to pull out at the last minute or are still struggling with injuries.
    So this week its all about the mental aspect. Working on getting that Positive Mental Attitude and accepting that its ok if it doesn't go to plan and believing that I can do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MY 3 Grand Kids, two 7 year olds and one 2 year old in a Buggy were there supporting me last year so logistically no problem with room etc, the whole family were there to help manage with boredom etc but the elder lads loved the atmosphere. I guess single handedly managing all 3 could be tough enough.

• Advertisement

henrietta wrote: »
    I think I've gone into denial mode now and don't seem to be thinking about things as much as some of the rest of ye. I think its my way of coping, I get stressed dealing with the unknown and this whole thing is one big unknown to me!! I'll be dreading it nearer the time and wondering what I've done this to myself for!

My last week hasn't been great.

Day Date Miles Time Pace
    Tuesday 17-Oct 4.05 39.15 9.41
    Wednesday 18-Oct 4.04 38.37 9.34
    Friday 20-Oct 4.09 40 9.47
    Sunday 22-Oct 8.01 1.20.09 10

Every last run felt hard and I had phantom pains in every part of me!
    I've kind of resigned myself to the fact now that I've messed up all the training and made the apparently worst mistake ever with all my long runs, I no longer call them LSR as they are not slow!!! I'm really wishing I'd trained harder and wiser but no point looking back.

Still I know I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in and shouldn't be negative when some of you have had to pull out at the last minute or are still struggling with injuries.
    So this week its all about the mental aspect. Working on getting that Positive Mental Attitude and accepting that its ok if it doesn't go to plan and believing that I can do it!!

You can do it!! Just pick a sensible pace and you'll be fine. As has been pointed out we'll be better prepared than most novices at the start line. Maybe you ran your long runs too fast but at least you were able to! We'll all get this done :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I went into the finish 2 years ago to see my SO finish. It was manic. I had to walk back streets to try to work my way around to Mount Street. The crowds were 5 deep on the footpaths. I had to go about 800m/ 1k out to get a proper unrestricted view. This was at about the time the 4-5 hour finishers were coming in. It's impossible to try to meet someone at the finish really. Better to arrange a meeting point far from the madding crowd.

The PP is great for viewing everyone go by, he'll have no worries there.

I should mention it was raining so all the big golf brollies that spectators used probably made it seem more congested.

The Muppet wrote: »
    MY 3 Grand Kids, two 7 year olds and one 2 year old in a Buggy were there supporting me last year so logistically no problem with room etc, the whole family were there to help manage with boredom etc but the elder lads loved the atmosphere. I guess single handedly managing all 3 could be tough enough.

Yeah i think it's the entertaining part that he's worried about and the toileting logistics, the 4 year old tends to announce at the very last minute that he's "bursting" :rolleyes: Anyhow, i'll show him the responses on here and see if we can work out something.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Week 16 Report

Monday - gym - some light circuits
    Tuesday - 4m easy
    Wednesday - gym - core work
    Thursday - 5m easy
    Friday - 4m pace. Good to stretch the legs a bit
    Saturday - 8m LSR. Great to meet some boardsies. Miles flew by chatting and the coffee and scone afterwards went down a treat
    Sunday - 3m easy

So close now. Excitement and nerves kicking in now. Just want to get to the start line now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I cycle to and from work, about 10k each way. Should I be doing this this week, or should I get the train towards the end of the week? I reckon I'd be fine to continue doing it and just do less running (obviously), but then I think I'd rather under-do the exercise this week than over-do it.

I stopped my cycle commute during my taper last year and got on the bus - the bus which I fully blame on the headcold I had on the days leading up to DCM :mad:

Stay on the saddle!

I've just read about 6 random articles on marathons on the internet, such as this one and they all have the same message... and it's the same message that's been beaten into us here too so nobody can say we haven't been told :cool: it's summed up nicely in the last paragraph of the article linked:
    Because if there is one lesson for first time marathon runners, it is don’t start too fast. If you have trained properly and rested up, you will be full of energy. You need to start at a speed that feels easy. And then slow a bit more . Because the old marathon saying – that 20 miles is only half way – isn’t far off the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

See there have been methods to our madness!

I've just read about 6 random articles on marathons on the internet, such as this one and they all have the same message... and it's the same message that's been beaten into us here too so nobody can say we haven't been told :cool: it's summed up nicely in the last paragraph of the article linked:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I first ran a Marathon 4 and a half years ago. I was a real 'novice' then, was without a club and had not done a single 'squat' or 'lunge' I had come to running in my 30's without anything 'before'. The goal then was just to 'finish' and I did in 4 hours 23 minutes. It was huge ,felt like a massive personal triumph. But as I trained entirely alone, there wasn't really anyone to share the moment with :( . Two years later I had joined a club and ran another Marathon in 3'59,felt like the top of mountain at the time. There was also a few people with whom to at least a little bit 'share the moment with'.

But you know it's funny how what felt like 'my greatest run' at the time has been continuously superceded time after time, at marathon or other (mostly) other distances. Dublin this year will be Marathon number 3 and I now have a lot of experience . It's hopefully my opportunity to do even better, to do 'my greatest run', until the next one :)

I write this just to say that it's amazing how one can become an 'established' . 'regular' member of the running community, from nothing in my 30's. Also as a 'Social Minority', I've found runners to be 'amongst the best people' I've met :)

Saw the doc he said throats infection and laryngitis, antibiotics and rest (not easy with a 4 & 7 year old ) , says I can run but go easy as you can risk collapsing if you push too hard and your bodies already fighting infection.
    Wishing everyone good health this week avoid buses and kids !

Saw the doc he said throats infection and laryngitis, antibiotics and rest (not easy with a 4 & 7 year old ) , says I can run but go easy as you can risk collapsing if you push too hard and your bodies already fighting infection.

Jesus good luck with that one! If anyone can run 3:16 even with laryngitis I'd back you and your ballsy attitude. Recover as best you can during the week.

• Advertisement

Oh no take care of yourself! Will you revise your target time? Please exercise common sense anyhow (that's the mamy in me speaking;)) !!!

Damn kids, my 2 yr old has given me a head cold too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Don't know if either of you saw this?

https://www.facebook.com/stannesparkrun/

This guy had a lucky escape indeed. Some man for getting up the next morning and carrying out his RD duties. He (christeb) used to be fairly active in these parts. The guy to his left in the photo, in the yellow and green singlet is RayCun, a former DCM Novices mentor.
    Jaysus, I hadn't seen that. My local parkrun too!
    I cycle in over a similar distance and spoke to a physio about it at the weekend - he actively encouraged it. Said it was an ideal low impact way to keep the legs moving. Very low injury risk with regard to muscle damage but probably best to take it handy on the bike to avoid incidents.

My issue this week is that i'm travelling tomorrow early until friday night so the 3 and 4 mile runs to keep loose will have to be on a treadmill which I do not like. Might have to give em a skip.

Not long now....
    I commute by bike all year round 15km each way , I dropped the bike commute when I upped the training just to give the body a break , I am rarely ever sick but started to notice a chorus of coughs and sniffles on the bus the last couple of weeks. I'm in bits now so something to consider , the train is probably not as bad as the bus , i'm really looking forward to saying goodbye to public transport and getting back on the bike next week.
    jameshayes wrote: »
    I stopped my cycle commute during my taper last year and got on the bus - the bus which I fully blame on the headcold I had on the days leading up to DCM :mad:

Stay on the saddle!

Cheers, I'll be staying on the bike so.

Hope you get better clicker, you deserve a good go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

My physio has given me all the clear on my foot pain. He told me to drop 1 run this week.

So its not the broken metatarsal I thought it was. Beginning to think I probably don't have pneumonia either.

Oh no take care of yourself! Will you revise your target time? Please exercise common sense anyhow (that's the mamy in me speaking;)) !!!

Damn kids, my 2 yr old has given me a head cold too :(

I'll see how it goes I don't want to give myself an easy "out" there will be a time for all of us is the marathon where we will think this is getting tough now I can just drop back and do my b/c/d goal.

I like picking an ambitious time , I could pick 3:30 and enjoy the day but I want to brush up against the wall , I want to push past the pain , I want to know I've given the absolute most my body could give on the day. If I can only manage 3:30 that's great but I don't want to run a 3:30 when I could of ran a 3:15 and when someone asks me what's my marathon time I say , well 3:30 but I could ....... blah blah blah coulda shoulda woulda. Might never get another chance to run a marathon. Obviously I don't want to bonk at 20 miles either so it's about picking a realistic time but not sandbagging it totally.

I'm just drinking loads of fluids , tea , soup and water. A headcold is all you need now Ariana hopefully you make it you've been through a lot in this training block.

Omeceron wrote: »
    My physio has given me all the clear on my foot pain. He told me to drop 1 run this week.

So its not the broken metatarsal I thought it was. Beginning to think I probably don't have pneumonia either.

Great news . I have to say a few days off running and all niggles have cleared if recommend nearly taking the week off.

Omeceron wrote: »

That really did make me laugh out loud!! :pac: And there was me thinking my imaginary hay fever was serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Wishing you a speedy recovery FX it all clears by the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Picked up my Marathon Tshirt a nice bright canary yellow :D it is a new version of one I have worn before :) So have my gear nearly ready now just to pick up number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Baby75 wrote: »
    Picked up my Marathon Tshirt a nice bright canary yellow :D it is a new version of one I have worn before :) So have my gear nearly ready now just to pick up number :)

Ready to go here too. Finally decided what runners I’m wearing. I’ve been alternating between two different pairs, Saucony and Brooks and couldn’t decide. Brooks are newer and more cushioning and did all my long runs in them but Saucony lighter and a better fit. Never got blisters from them. I put the Brooks back on tonight and decision made - Saucony it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just figuring out my travel arrangements. A 7:15am Luas from Red Cow p&r should get me to start area with a good bit of time to spare right?

Advertisement