Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Just figuring out my travel arrangements. A 7:15am Luas from Red Cow p&r should get me to start area with a good bit of time to spare right?

Sorted my way up, getting a bus with a few others leaving very early 6am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

6 easy slow miles this evening-that's me doneski.

Loads of people out running tonight, wondering if everyone is getting a last little bit in before Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Lazare wrote: »
    Just figuring out my travel arrangements. A 7:15am Luas from Red Cow p&r should get me to start area with a good bit of time to spare right?

Should be grand with that one C. Hop off at Abbey and you can jog across for your warmup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Should be grand with that one C. Hop off at Abbey and you can jog across for your warmup.

Speaking of warmup ... what is recommended on the morning? I’m starting so slow anyway, is that enough as a warm up? I presume we’ll be standing in our waves for ages.

Just thought I'd throw in an extract from the very first post on the thread. To my mind, it's still valid nearly six months later.

Be realistic. A marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge - hopefully you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. You won't have a pace car in front of you to block out the wind, or have water bottles handed to you, a la Kipchoge and co. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative. The marathon has so many variables that can impact on your time.
    Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop your run.

Most of you have set yourselves targets for Sunday, which is great, and I hope you all reach them. But racing a marathon isn't easy, regardless of how many you end up running. It's going to hurt on Sunday. It hurts elites (and experienced non-elites!) too. We can only help you prepare for the challenge as best we can. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough earlier in proceedings :)

Unfortunately I can't really say definitively how you know when to go to Plan B/C/other. This will be my third marathon, and even between these and lots of other shorter races, I'm still far from being the perfect judge of such situations. People have different pain thresholds etc, and some of you are more intent on just enjoying this one. I suppose you have to know your own body, and listen to it!

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Speaking of warmup ... what is recommended on the morning? I’m starting so slow anyway, is that enough as a warm up? I presume we’ll be standing in our waves for ages.

You'll be standing waiting for quite a while. Last year I think I was in my warmup area around 8 o'clock, for a 9:10 start. Lots of people came in much later than this however.

Regarding the warmup, there's a couple of articles here regarding stretching etc beforehand....

http://www.marathon-training-guides.com/warm-up.html

http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/how-to-warm-up-for-a-marathon_90380

Alternatively, if you're just intent on finishing, many reckon the slow and very crowded starting miles will be sufficient.

Omeceron wrote: »
    My physio has given me all the clear on my foot pain. He told me to drop 1 run this week.

So its not the broken metatarsal I thought it was. Beginning to think I probably don't have pneumonia either.

Great news Omeceron! Sorry I forgot about you when listing those in casualty yesterday :D Fingers crossed for Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone stuck for accommodation?

I'll be cancelling a booking for a 4-bed dorm room in Avalon House hostel tomorrow. Sat and Sun night. PM if interested and I can let you know when I'm cancelling and it should become available to snap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You'll be standing waiting for quite a while. Last year I think I was in my warmup area around 8 o'clock, for a 9:10 start. Lots of people came in much later than this however.

Regarding the warmup, there's a couple of articles here regarding stretching etc beforehand....

http://www.marathon-training-guides.com/warm-up.html

http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/how-to-warm-up-for-a-marathon_90380

Alternatively, if you're just intent on finishing, many reckon the slow and very crowded starting miles will be sufficient.

Thanks for that. Stretches it is!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What would be a reasonable / expected amount of weight to gain in the last week of taper, as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    What would be a reasonable / expected amount of weight to gain in the last week of taper, as a matter of interest?

They reckon 2-4lbs is to be expected. It's a combination of less running and that as glycogen is stored in the muscles it causes water retention. All perfectly natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

quickbeam wrote: »

To add to SkyBlues reply, the extra weight gained is all beneficial. It's our body repairing muscle tissue and storing glycogen. We need this for Sunday.

Personally I am going nowhere near a scale this week. Focus has to be Sunday. The scale will just mess with my head. There are more ways to measure health......such as being fit enough to run a marathon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've been weighing myself weekly for two years now and I'm not going to stop this week. But knowing what's acceptable will mean a better attitude to whatever this week's (tomorrow morning's) result will show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

+ 1 to staying away from the scales this week and also the scales in general.

The most important thing this week is to eat and hydrate well plus make sure you get a few extra hours sleep during the week if you can.

You are preparing your bodies for the exertions of Sunday. At this stage you should also have your prep work done for Sunday...logistics; what you are going to wear on the run etc....you should so have your pacing strategy nailed down.

A few more easy runs and you are there. Don't forget to add your race number to the table so us supporters can track you!

This is one for those of you based "down the country" or overseas, and who aren't staying with family or friends the night before.

Something jumped out at me from one of the recent articles linked on the thread, in relation to your meal the night(s) before. It often gets overlooked, but if you're in this situation, better to make a few phone calls or send a few emails regarding reservations now, rather than walking the streets trying to find somewhere with a spare table. Avoid the hassle if you can.

Of course, you've all done this already, and there's no real need for me to mention it again ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    They reckon 2-4lbs is to be expected. It's a combination of less running and that as glycogen is stored in the muscles it causes water retention. All perfectly natural.

That is good to know, although this morning I am down in weight, I was fully expecting to see weight go up not down!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Head cold/Flu tips:
    Plenty of Vitamin C, I personally go with Rubex/Beeline drinks etc. and the odd bit of fruit.
    Avoid public transport if at all possible (I use the Luas everyday BTW).
    Avoid large crowds,cinemas,meetings with work colleagues that are snuffling etc ,snotty nose kids (yes, even your own :)) and....
    Wash your hands 17 times a day!

Trust me on this, I got a bad dose of man flu in 2014 and it badly affected my debut DCM. I did it again in 2015 and I was paranoid to bits for the week leading up to the race and sat in traffic with a smile for a week!

If anyone is unlucky enough to be feeling a bit under the weather on DCM day, I would strongly advise that if you are still determined to do it, then revise your time down by 15-20 minutes and just enjoy the whole day out and get around the course. I didn't of course do this in 2014 and paid the price and had a horrible second half to the race .......lesson learned the hard way.

Best of luck......now wash dem hands!! :D

smashiner wrote: »
    Head cold/Flu tips:
    Plenty of Vitamin C, I personally go with Rubex/Beeline drinks etc. and the odd bit of fruit.
    Avoid public transport if at all possible (I use the Luas everyday BTW).
    Avoid large crowds,cinemas,meetings with work colleagues that are snuffling etc ,snotty nose kids (yes, even your own :)) and....
    Wash your hands 17 times a day!

Trust me on this, I got a bad dose of man flu in 2014 and it badly affected my debut DCM. I did it again in 2015 and I was paranoid to bits for the week leading up to the race and sat in traffic with a smile for a week!

If anyone is unlucky enough to be feeling a bit under the weather on DCM day, I would strongly advise that if you are still determined to do it, then revise your time down by 15-20 minutes and just enjoy the whole day out and get around the course. I didn't of course do this in 2014 and paid the price and had a horrible second half to the race .......lesson learned the hard way.

Best of luck......now wash dem hands!! :D

we need masks and biohazard suits to avoid our own kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ready to go here too. Finally decided what runners I’m wearing. I’ve been alternating between two different pairs, Saucony and Brooks and couldn’t decide. Brooks are newer and more cushioning and did all my long runs in them but Saucony lighter and a better fit. Never got blisters from them. I put the Brooks back on tonight and decision made - Saucony it is!

I go between Saucony and Brooks too and my Brooks are also newer but I have decided on the Brooks. I need the cushioning :o

I'll be running the early miles so slow that i don't think i need a warm up. I've always gone with the theory that "the shorter the race, the longer the warm-up" so based on that i think i'll go with no warm-up :cool:
    skyblue46 wrote: »

Should i be worried if i haven't gained anything? I've barely run in the past 2.5 weeks so i expected to gain. I am drinking more this week (partially because i've a head cold so i'm making a lot of ginger & lemon tea) and I'm trying to add in a few more carbs, a slightly larger portion of pasta with dinner for example and at night time where i'd normally have a cuppa tea and a few biccies, i've replaced the few biccies with a slice of toast or half a bagel.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    we need masks and biohazard suits to avoid our own kids :D

Oh stop. My 2 year old has a bad dose and he's never been sick in his life, he keeps wanting to give me sloppy kisses :eek: I have a touch of a head cold since late last week but I'm managing to keep it mild taking lots of vitamin c, echinachea and ginger/lemon tea. Fingers crossed to stays mild or dare i hope for it to clear altogether between now and Sunday.

Just realised i am starting to talk/think as if i'm definitely running :eek: Maybe i need to slow down :confused: i'm not there yet :o Physio again today and another 'test' run planned for tomorrow :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

This is one for those of you based "down the country" or overseas, and who aren't staying with family or friends the night before.

Something jumped out at me from one of the recent articles linked on the thread, in relation to your meal the night(s) before. It often gets overlooked, but if you're in this situation, better to make a few phone calls or send a few emails regarding reservations now, rather than walking the streets trying to find somewhere with a spare table. Avoid the hassle if you can.

Of course, you've all done this already, and there's no real need for me to mention it again ;)

I'm sleeping in my camper van and have my Saturday night meal all planned, more concerned with Sunday morning, I don't have a grill or toaster for my banana on bagel. There are at least 3 marathon runners staying at the campsite I'm in so we may have our own party on Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Only a few days to go. the miles are in legs all that's left is to go run on Sunday . If your training has gone to plan You are all ready physically , Marathon Running is also a mental challenge so you also need to ensure you are ready mentally .

There is nothing to be gained by worrying about anything outside of your control at this stage like the weather, actually the forecast looks good but this is Ireland be mentally prepared to embrace whatever you have to on the day,

Be clear in your mind about your A B AND C goals and be mentally prepared to go to the next one as soon as possible on the day if you begin to feel your current goal is unachievable.

One of the best pieces of advice I took on board from last years thread was not to think of it as a 26.2 mile run but to break it down into three parts: 10M, 10M, and 10k.distances you are comfortable running . Ideally the first 10 miles will let you settle into you run and should feel comfortable , The second 10 will be tougher but once done you have broken the back of the distance and theres only 10 k left a distance you have ran numerous times in you training.

My own experience last year I broke it down further at 16 miles, I got into bother, I envisaged a 5 k to get me to 20 miles and then sure it was only a 10k or 1 hour This worked for me , I never doubted I'd finish.

Be prepared for some pain, it's very likely its going to hurt at some stage , be prepared for that, acknowledge the pain and then tell it to buzz off , you will be surprised the effect this can have.

Physically if training has gone to plan you are ready, the advice in this thread has been brilliant , Don't go out too fast, if you do you will pay for that later in the day. Heartbreak hill is nothing to worry about , the worst hill on the route is in Chapelizod between mile 9 and 10, take it easy on that one, it can sap your energy.

Keep moving forward at all times if you are able to do so, Take in the atmosphere, its brilliant, Do some high 5 ing but not too much as it uses energy, which you may need later and most of all ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Unless you're a professional runner who knows she has enough energy to run at least 28 miles, do not waste even an ounce of energy by doing a warm up. The marathon is all about energy conservation. Do not waste it by doing a completely useless warm-up routine before the start.

The first few miles will be your warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ariana` wrote: »
    Should i be worried if i haven't gained anything? I've barely run in the past 2.5 weeks so i expected to gain. I am drinking more this week (partially because i've a head cold so i'm making a lot of ginger & lemon tea) and I'm trying to add in a few more carbs, a slightly larger portion of pasta with dinner for example and at night time where i'd normally have a cuppa tea and a few biccies, i've replaced the few biccies with a slice of toast or half a bagel.

That's gas, complaining about NOT gaining weight :)

No need to worry at all. Don't overdo it on the extra carbs - unless you're carbs depleted anything you eat 5 days before the race won't have any effect, you can't carbo-load for a full week. It's much more important to ensure that you're fully hydrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I initially registered for Wave 3 but was late starting training and I'm no longer aiming to finishing within that time. I know it's too late to officially change wave, but is there any issue just starting in Wave 4?

Just want to make sure I don't register a DNS if I don't start with my registered wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Dropping down a wave will not cause you any issues Joe.

Seems like you have a sensible head on your shoulders by dropping back to wave 4.....continue this on the day and get your pacing right at the start and you will get through it.....as we are always saying "it is the pace that will get you not the distance".

Just a general note to everyone don't get spooked in the first couple of miles and it will be manic.

Pace it well and enjoy the day.

C
    J o e wrote: »
    I initially registered for Wave 3 but was late starting training and I'm no longer aiming to finishing within that time. I know it's too late to officially change wave, but is there any issue just starting in Wave 4?

Just want to make sure I don't register a DNS if I don't start with my registered wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Unless you're a professional runner who knows she has enough energy to run at least 28 miles, do not waste even an ounce of energy by doing a warm up. The marathon is all about energy conservation. Do not waste it by doing a completely useless warm-up routine before the start.

The first few miles will be your warm up.

I think this is good advice for most novices... but wouldn't warming the body up before barrelling off at an aggressive MP be a net energy gain for faster folks? Do you warmup before marathons or practice what you preach here? :)

J o e wrote: »

As far as I know, you can move down waves no problem at all the only issues would be trying to move up a wave. you could always pop them an email but I sure someone with more experience will have the correct answer :)

That's gas, complaining about NOT gaining weight :)

No need to worry at all. Don't overdo it on the extra carbs - unless you're carbs depleted anything you eat 5 days before the race won't have any effect, you can't carbo-load for a full week. It's much more important to ensure that you're fully hydrated.

I know a first ever for me. But the previous posts about it being normal/expected to gain during these weeks freaked me, obviously i'm easily freaked :D

ariana` wrote: »
    I know a first ever for me. But the previous posts about it being normal/expected to gain during these weeks freaked me, obviously i'm easily freaked :D

I'm delighted your so positive to starting :) good luck at the physio today and I am also trying to stop a snotty nearly 2 year old slobber me with kisses I am failing :D he does not take no for an answer

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    I'm delighted your so positive to starting :) good luck at the physio today and I am also trying to stop a snotty nearly 2 year old slobber me with kisses I am failing :D he does not take no for an answer

LOL i hear you and at any other time i welcome the slobbery kisses cos i know they get big so fast and want nothing to do with us then :rolleyes:

Advertisement