Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

This is one for those of you based "down the country" or overseas, and who aren't staying with family or friends the night before.

Something jumped out at me from one of the recent articles linked on the thread, in relation to your meal the night(s) before. It often gets overlooked, but if you're in this situation, better to make a few phone calls or send a few emails regarding reservations now, rather than walking the streets trying to find somewhere with a spare table. Avoid the hassle if you can.

Of course, you've all done this already, and there's no real need for me to mention it again ;)

Would anyone have a recommendation for me, staying on Dawson st. Driving up on Saturday morning, lunch on the way up, go to expo, check into hotel and then a short jog. We were going to go for pizza after, it'll be just myself and the missus (running marathon also) no smallies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I watched a video of 2016 DCM last night and was gobsmacked at the congestion at the 13.1mile mark. Then I realized it was a drink station. Are all the water or aid stations like that?

Can it be hard to get your bottle of water? Any previous races i’d always take a bottle at every station and carry it to the next. Is it that easy in DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I watched a video of 2016 DCM last night and was gobsmacked at the congestion at the 13.1mile mark. Then I realized it was a drink station. Are all the water or aid stations like that?

Can it be hard to get your bottle of water? Any previous races i’d always take a bottle at every station and carry it to the next. Is it that easy in DCM?

Where did you get the video from? I'm struggling to get my head around how crowded every aspect of this run is going to be? Most of the runs/races I've done have been <200 runners, the most ever was probably 2,000. So 20,000 and in a city that i'm not familiar with and a distance i've never ran before... well lets just say it all seems rather overwhelming when i think about it too much :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

podgec10 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a recommendation for me, staying on Dawson st. Driving up on Saturday morning, lunch on the way up, go to expo, check into hotel and then a short jog. We were going to go for pizza after, it'll be just myself and the missus (running marathon also) no smallies!

If you're looking for a classic pre-marathon meal (i.e. pasta) in the Dawson St. area, Dunne and Crescenzi is just around the corner: http://www.dunneandcrescenzi.com/restaurants/book-a-table.154.html

Carluccio's is a decent upmarketish Italian food chain eatery that's on Dawson St. itself, and Milano's is on the street too.

ariana` wrote: »
    Where did you get the video from? I'm struggling to get my head around how crowded every aspect of this run is going to be? Most of the runs/races I've done have been <200 runners, the most ever was probably 2,000. So 20,000 and in a city that i'm not familiar with and a distance i've never ran before... well lets just say it all seems rather overwhelming when i think about it too much :o

It was a relation of mine that did it and I went looking and found that. I’ll pm you the link. I got a fright watching it. I’m now terrified I’ll trip over somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

That was actually one thing that I hadn't properly factored in last year.

The first water station going up through Stoneybatter was chaotic and it was still really busy at the 1/2 mark I do think they thinned out after that.

Also check the map to see which side of the road the water stations are located at least then you can position yourself on that side. They are also a decent length so don't rush into the first table as there could be a bottle neck.

Had no issues getting a bottle though....sip small amounts and often seems to be good advice....if you are feeling thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

What are the views on the occasional glass of beer or wine early this week? I'm away with work and there's a few unavoidable social events. Obviously I'm not talking about going on all nighters but there'll be wine and beer stuffed into my hands (not a bad complaint admittedly) on a regular basis and I'm of a mind that one or two in moderation wouldn't do any harm.

I'm probably mad but I can resist anything but temptation

That was actually one thing that I hadn't properly factored in last year.

The first water station going up through Stoneybatter was chaotic and it was still really busy at the 1/2 mark I do think they thinned out after that.

Also check the map to see which side of the road the water stations are located at least then you can position yourself on that side. They are also a decent length so don't rush into the first table as there could be a bottle neck.

Had no issues getting a bottle though....sip small amounts and often seems to be good advice....if you are feeling thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate

Thanks for that. I might carry my own small bottle for the first while and skip the first station until I relax and see how things are. I’ve always read to factor it in and never had an issue before so never thought of it until I saw it last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

What are the views on the occasional glass of beer or wine early this week? I'm away with work and there's a few unavoidable social events. Obviously I'm not talking about going on all nighters but there'll be wine and beer stuffed into my hands (not a bad complaint admittedly) on a regular basis and I'm of a mind that one or two in moderation wouldn't do any harm.

I'm probably mad but I can resist anything but temptation

Personally, I'm avoiding it but I don't think the amounts you're speaking of would do much harm. Alcohol will dehydrate you though, and it's a week where hydration is critical. So if you are, drink some electrolytes too, like zero tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

If it helps, there are 4 waves, each 10 minutes apart - so lets's say all the runners are even split between each wave. Now your running in a race with 5000 runners. This is Dublin, so the roads are fairly wide, meaning there's lots of room to run. However there are still "pinch points" especially during the first 10 miles. The first mile will be very crowded. Relax and don't panic. As everyone finds there own pace you should find some room. The first water station can be very congested - so maybe carry a small bottle with you instead of using this? I also find the water station in the Phoenix park can be busy. Plan ahead - move to the side of the road and even slow down a bit so you can get a drink. When you come out of the Phoenix park it can get quite congested again - especially going around the corner just after the 10k mark. Again, don't panic - just watch your feet and go with the flow. When you go back into the park, the road narrows a bit, but you should still have a bit of room. After you exit the park (Around mile 8 or 9?) things start to spread out a bit more. There will still be lots of runners on the road but you should have plenty of space from now on.

What got to me the first time was the noise - be prepared for very loud support nearly all the way around. Let it lift you, not distract you. Take in the atmosphere and enjoy it. I work with a guy who's run marathons all over Europe (including the likes of London and Berlin) and by his reckoning Dublin is the best one he's done mostly due to the support. Regardless of what happens you'll have great day, that I'm sure of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Singer wrote: »
    I think this is good advice for most novices... but wouldn't warming the body up before barrelling off at an aggressive MP be a net energy gain for faster folks? Do you warmup before marathons or practice what you preach here? :)

I'm not that fast, certainly not when compared to actually fast runners.

When I ran my marathon PB I did not warm up beforehand and then ran the first mile in about 6:25, which was too fast (I averaged about 6:40 by the end) but I still overtook more than half of the runners that had been ahead of me at that point.

So - don't warm up, don't get carried away at the start and DEFINITELY don't run too fast just because the runner beside you is going at some pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm not that fast, certainly not when compared to actually fast runners.

When I ran my marathon PB I did not warm up beforehand and then ran the first mile in about 6:25, which was too fast (I averaged about 6:40 by the end) but I still overtook more than half of the runners that had been ahead of me at that point.

So - don't warm up, don't get carried away at the start and DEFINITELY don't run too fast just because the runner beside you is going at some pace.

This would be my thinking too. Although I will do a few squats - supposedly to activate the glutes, but I think I mostly do it now to just ease the nerves a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Don't worry too much about congestion. The first mile WILL be very congested, nothing you can do about it. Just mind yourself and be careful not to trip up.

After that it's nowhere near as bad as it looks. When watching the marathon at the halfway point it looks incredibly congested on video but in actual reality it's fine, you can run freely at that point.

You are right, water stations are by far the most congested part. Just keep your head on and don't dive for the first table, the stations are always very drawn out. If you happen to be on the wrong side of the road don't cut across everyone else, that's the biggest hazard there is. You can always ask around for some water, people are always happy to share and after an hour or two of running you won't give a damn that someone else already had his/her lips on that bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Lazare wrote: »
    Personally, I'm avoiding it but I don't think the amounts you're speaking of would do much harm. Alcohol will dehydrate you though, and it's a week where hydration is critical. So if you are, drink some electrolytes too, like zero tabs.

And coffee? what are the good thoughts on having coffee this week. I may have had my last until Sunday morning or even after, ok maybe not, tomorrow morning could be the last though. My gels have caffeine in them so is it better to stay off the coffee for a couple of days before for the extra boost?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

And coffee? what are the good thoughts on having coffee this week. I may have had my last until Sunday morning or even after, ok maybe not, tomorrow morning could be the last though. My gels have caffeine in them so is it better to stay off the coffee for a couple of days before for the extra boost?

First the booze, now it's taking my coffee.....what's life without booze and coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Just add a zero tab to your beer :D

First the booze, now it's taking my coffee.....what's life without booze and coffee!

:pac:

I'm not giving up anything maybe i should be :eek:

Chocolate and tea are my vices and without them I definitely wouldn't make the start line cos my OH would probably murder me, aided and abetted by my children and work colleagues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

On water stations, I noticed that at the Frank Duffy 10 mile everyone crowded around the first table but if you passed that one it was clear at the last table.

Also for a wee bit of a giggle a funny video! Tommy Tiernan Declan Moffit glenamaddy Marathon adventure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SPhXdGK6s&feature=share

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I have a confession to make. I've had a tight left calf since Saturday. I'd hoped it'd go away with rest and stretching. After today's 5km/3 mile it seems to be worse. And the foot pain I had when I thought I needed new runners has come back too (I've been only using the new ones since).

It didn't hurt when actually running this morning. But I'm actually having difficulty walking now.

I've made a physio appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I will skip tomorrow's 4 mile (sad as this would be the first run I've missed all plan) until I get feedback from him.

I hoping that I'll still give Sunday a shot but feel there's quite a strong DNF possibly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

quickbeam wrote: »
    I have a confession to make. I've had a tight left calf since Saturday. I'd hoped it'd go away with rest and stretching. After today's 5km/3 mile it seems to be worse. And the foot pain I had when I thought I needed new runners has come back too (I've been only using the new ones since).

It didn't hurt when actually running this morning. But I'm actually having difficulty walking now.

I've made a physio appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I will skip tomorrow's 4 mile (sad as this would be the first run I've missed all plan) until I get feedback from him.

I hoping that I'll still give Sunday a shot but feel there's quite a strong DNF possibly now.

Sorry to read that! Certainly caught me by surprise especially as you've covered all the others. Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck tomorrow with the physio it sounds so similar to my calf issues which first propped up after a long run and I rested it and was able to run the half with no problems at all it did come back to haunt me but Physio sorted it so I am feeling hopeful for you

Glad you got a physio appointment. Hopefully it can be sorted out quickly. I can't believe you haven't missed a single run, wow you've done brilliant, it would really be such a shame now. Rest up now. Sending lots of positive vibes your way x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

+ 1 to staying away from the scales this week and also the scales in general.

The most important thing this week is to eat and hydrate well plus make sure you get a few extra hours sleep during the week if you can.

You are preparing your bodies for the exertions of Sunday. At this stage you should also have your prep work done for Sunday...logistics; what you are going to wear on the run etc....you should so have your pacing strategy nailed down.

A few more easy runs and you are there. Don't forget to add your race number to the table so us supporters can track you!

Is there a way to know your number before the expo? Anything on the acceptance slip? My SO is convinced she knows her number but cannot remember which piece of correspondence it was that gave her the idea.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is there a way to know your number before the expo? Anything on the acceptance slip? My SO is convinced she knows her number but cannot remember which piece of correspondence it was that gave her the idea.

Did you try putting your name into the tracker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I've eaten clean and ran poorly in races and vice versa ,take aways and beers and turning up running a pb the next day is not uncommon , if there is a link between diet and exercise I've not really noticed it , I think coffee is good , a few beers probably no harm but I suppose everything in moderation.

The only change I'll actively be making to my diet is drinking a good bit of water on Saturday and making sure I'm p***ing clear that night before bed. My last meal will be midnight probably a large bowl of oats of some sort as I've trouble running on a full stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Gutted to read this , amazing dedication , hay is in the barn for you I'd rest up now till Sunday give yourself every chance. Fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    12345 | skyblue46 |03:59:59 |
    12346 | quickbeam |05:59:59 |
    12347 | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    12348| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    12349 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    12350 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    12351| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    12352|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    12353 | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    12354 | stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    12355 | RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    12356 | BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    12357|statina| 04:55:59|
    12358|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    12359|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    12360|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    12361|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    12362|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    12363|conti| 03:19:59|
    12364|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    12365|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    12366|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    12367|dos29| 03:40:00|
    12368|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    12369|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    12370|choons| 03:29:59|
    12371|Halloween Jack| 03:59:59

Way behind on thread guys but added for posterity;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Did you try putting your name into the tracker?

I did, but it doesn't bring up a number with it. I keep telling her she's imagining things but if she is right I'll have to have an extra large helping of humble pie along with my pints in McGrattans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I did, but it doesn't bring up a number with it. I keep telling her she's imagining things but if she is right I'll have to have an extra large helping of humble pie along with my pints in McGrattans :pac:

There's a number on the acceptance slip all right. It doesn't come up on my tracker either. It won't correspond to your race number anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I thinks it’s on the confirmation email they send when we first signed up. Just above the link on the email it’s says number in brackets.. think this might be it?

Advertisement