Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is there a way to know your number before the expo? Anything on the acceptance slip? My SO is convinced she knows her number but cannot remember which piece of correspondence it was that gave her the idea.

The numbers are assigned at the expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    I have a confession to make. I've had a tight left calf since Saturday. I'd hoped it'd go away with rest and stretching. After today's 5km/3 mile it seems to be worse. And the foot pain I had when I thought I needed new runners has come back too (I've been only using the new ones since).

It didn't hurt when actually running this morning. But I'm actually having difficulty walking now.

I've made a physio appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I will skip tomorrow's 4 mile (sad as this would be the first run I've missed all plan) until I get feedback from him.

I hoping that I'll still give Sunday a shot but feel there's quite a strong DNF possibly now.

Sorry to read that F , you couldn't have worse timing. Hopefully the physio can work some magic which will allow you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I’ve been pretty much injury free since the FD 10 miler but i’ve always had a niggle in my left knee and ITB. Anyway I went to the physio yesterday for a sports massage, her worked a lot on my bad leg and afterwards my ankle was sore. It felt better this morning and I did my 2 miles with no issues but now it’s at me again. Should I rest it tomorrow or continue with the plan and hopefully run it off. I don’t think it’s a real injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The only change I'll actively be making to my diet is drinking a good bit of water on Saturday and making sure I'm p***ing clear that night before bed.

Careful with that . Clear is a sign of being over hydrated which is not what you want either. A nice straw colour is what you are aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Physio has advised 6-7 miles tomorrow and that's the decider. It's more than is in the plan for any day this week but I've had a lot of extra rest in the past 2.5 weeks so it shouldn't be in issue from a tapering/rest/recovery perspective. So there it is, by bed-time tomorrow night i know which side of the road i'll be on come Sunday :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice and easy Ariana. fingers crossed for you anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Physio has advised 6-7 miles tomorrow and that's the decider. It's more than is in the plan for any day this week but I've had a lot of extra rest in the past 2.5 weeks so it shouldn't be in issue from a tapering/rest/recovery perspective. So there it is, by bed-time tomorrow night i know which side of the road i'll be on come Sunday :eek:

Oh God, you’ll be analyzing every little twinge! I’ll be sending all positive thoughts your way and hopefully you’ll have good news for us afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sending best wishes to Clicker;Ariana and BrownEyes.Hopefully some good news from all 3 of you.

Is there a loop that takes in passing your house BrownEyes? Take it nice and easy and if you are feeling anything just can the run.

I see the question on the number has been answered aswell.

Expo time is nearly upon you; it was a smash and grab affair for me last year. In and out first thing on the Saturday morning followed by a couple of easy miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Is there a way to know your number before the expo? Anything on the acceptance slip? My SO is convinced she knows her number but cannot remember which piece of correspondence it was that gave her the idea.

I may be wrong, but I remember last year they were really quick when I picked my number up. I thought then that they scanned my acceptance form and linked that to a number there and then rather than rooting through a file of numbers.
    Of course I could have dreamt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sending best wishes to Clicker;Ariana and BrownEyes.Hopefully some good news from all 3 of you.

Is there a loop that takes in passing your house BrownEyes? Take it nice and easy and if you are feeling anything just can the run.

Expo time is nearly upon you; it was a smash and grab affair for me last year. In and out first thing on the Saturday morning followed by a couple of easy miles.

I'm planning to be there when the doors open on Friday. I see lots of people planning to get in and out quickly. Can an hour or so walking around do much harm? I kinda feel the expo is part of the whole experience but I'd give the browsing a miss if the advice is to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Thanks, I’ll do this and see how I go. Think I’m being extra cautious because marathon is so close. Physio said I was in good shape for Sunday but I wasn’t expecting to have pain after I saw him!

I'm planning to be there when the doors open on Friday. I see lots of people planning to get in and out quickly. Can an hour or so walking around do much harm? I kinda feel the expo is part of the whole experience but I'd give the browsing a miss if the advice is to do so.

I’m hoping for a small walk around anyway. I’m a sucker for those things. I like running in Skins leggings and got them half price at the Cork one. Was thrilled with myself. Will need to stretch the legs after driving up anyway and not planning on a run on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I don't think you'll have any issue browsing the expo on Friday, it's no worse that doing a Parkrun on Saturday. As you said, it's part of the experience.
    Now if you were picking up on Saturday afternoon................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Not at all browse around it will do no harm at all....it was just a personal preference for me. Wasn't planning on picking anything up so it was a case of pick up the number and get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Looking forward to the Expo and picking up a few bits for running after the marathon! Was supposed to be in work till 2 on Saturday, would have been a nightmare getting to the Expo after that, managed to get off at 11 and will head straight there. I'd say it'll be manic

EDIT: Just looked my name up on the DCM tracker and apparently im now part of the Abbey Striders AC? :P

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Expo and picking up a few bits for running after the marathon! Was supposed to be in work till 2 on Saturday, would have been a nightmare getting to the Expo after that, managed to get off at 11 and will head straight there. I'd say it'll be manic

EDIT: Just looked my name up on the DCM tracker and apparently im now part of the Abbey Striders AC? :P

I take it you aren't? Maybe there is two of you with the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Ha I am also now a member of Abbey Striders ac.....I think it hasn't been updated. Race date is 28th according to the app. Doesn't help the paranoia!

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    xxx | skyblue46 | 03:54:59 |
    xxx | quickbeam | 05:59:59 |
    xxx | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    xxx| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    xxx | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    xxx | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    xxx| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    xxx|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    xxx | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    xxx| stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    xxx| RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    xxx| BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    xxx|statina| 04:55:59|
    xxx|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    xxx|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    xxx|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    xxx|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    xxx|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    xxx|conti| 03:19:59|
    xxx|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    xxx|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    xxx|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    xxx|dos29| 03:40:00|
    xxx|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    xxx|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    xxx|choons| 03:29:59|
    xxx|Halloween Jack| 03:59:59

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Is Friday at 6:00 - 6:15 too late to arrive at the expo?

I don't fancy driving back up on Saturday morning.

Omeceron wrote: »
    Is Friday at 6:00 - 6:15 too late to arrive at the expo?

I don't fancy driving back up on Saturday morning.

It closes at 7 so you would be grand for just collecting a number and half an hour or so of browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Is there any picture going of the jacket for this year? Was thinking of buying it myself, would be a nice thing to have I think.

Also, any pictures of the tshirts? I'm not on Facebook so I can't check without it pestering me to sign up every couple of scrolls.

Edit: I just saw there's a new 'shop' tab (I'm pretty sure it's new anyway) on the DCM website, here: https://www.ganzee.ie/product-category/mens/

Would that 'Anthem' jacket be the main one, i.e. the equivalent of the yellow/pink one from last year?

Is there any picture going of the jacket for this year? Was thinking of buying it myself, would be a nice thing to have I think.

Also, any pictures of the tshirts? I'm not on Facebook so I can't check without it pestering me to sign up every couple of scrolls.

I tweeted them last week and they said theyd be posted this week, and asked again today and no reply. Want a jacket and a t shirt myself! Last years were fairly decent.

Edit: I just saw there's a new 'shop' tab (I'm pretty sure it's new anyway) on the DCM website, here: https://www.ganzee.ie/product-category/mens/

Would that 'Anthem' jacket be the main one, i.e. the equivalent of the yellow/pink one from last year?

Was just looking at them myself on the website today. Can you only buy at the expo? I tried to see if you could buy on line but didn’t seem to be able to.

Can u buy the gear afterwards?

I don't think I'd want to buy in advance, if I didn't finish it I'd never want to see the gear again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Was just looking at them myself on the website today. Can you only buy at the expo? I tried to see if you could buy on line but didn’t seem to be able to.

That website is very basic. They haven't even changed the site template content on ABOUT page. I would trust that website with anything.

I don't think I'd want to buy in advance, if I didn't finish it I'd never want to see the gear again :eek:

There was a sale of marathon tops and other bits and bobs last year around Christmas if I recall, it was on Bargain Alerts. Again, it was somewhat strange setup - you had to ring someone to get your order in etc.

Actually yeah just been on the website and can see that they have the gear online and all, like the orange 1/4 zip and the jacket.

True! Stomach kicking off again here today so beginning to panic again that it will give trouble on the day :(

True! Stomach kicking off again here today so beginning to panic again that it will give trouble on the day :(

Oh no. Stress prob doesn't help? Hope you can get in top of it again, you have a few days at least.

Oh no. Stress prob doesn't help? Hope you can get in top of it again, you have a few days at least.

Hoping it’s just something I ate. I did have acupuncture yesterday so wondering if that triggered something. Anyway, will medicate myself and hope for the best. Was just finishing making my pacebands and serious doubt setting in! Funny because I was cool as a breeze until earlier on. Time for taper madness to hit maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hoping it’s just something I ate. I did have acupuncture yesterday so wondering if that triggered something. Anyway, will medicate myself and hope for the best. Was just finishing making my pacebands and serious doubt setting in! Funny because I was cool as a breeze until earlier on. Time for taper madness to hit maybe!

deffo a case of taper madness, hope the tummy settles

Advertisement