Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    My goal for the week: to increase my runs to 10km. It was a busy week.

:

That's a decent week Quickbeam, love those runs when you fell you can run all day,

The physio you are referring to is a user called Myles Splits but I think he may no longer be here , I'm not sure about that though .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Another Week Over - 20 To Go!!!

We are getting ever closer to Week 1 of the HHN1 and the Boards plans. Thanks again to everyone, both Novices and guest contributors, who has added to the thread. Great to have so much positivity here :D

So how has everyone else been getting on? Post your updates here and I'll pop back later and comment (or if I don't, one of my glamorous assistants will :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Having read every page of the thread I feel like I have to comment.

I've read every post and all along I'm thinking "I'm running less distance than them" or "my 12 minute mile pace is too slow" and I realised other people are probably in a similar position to me thinking the same thing and not posting.

I probably may not ever be able to run a sub 25 minute 5k, i can't even do under 30 minute YET.

But for anyone else reading this now, if your pace is a 15 minute mile or 6 minute miles, we all chafe the same, we all feel the same post long run hunger and we will all feel the same thrill at the starting line on the day.

So dont compare yourself to others on here. You're running against the distance, and yourself. And we will all have many PBs recorded over the next while.

So onwards for upwards for everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

All was going well early this week, I got a tempo run in on Tuesday with easy runs Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. However, on Thursday my right hamstring was quite sore so I had to cut the run short. I've never had pain there before and it came out of nowhere, so I was a bit confused. It didn't feel much better on Friday, but that's my rest day anyway so I was happy to take a rest. It felt a bit better on Saturday but I decided against trying it out, so I took another day off. A bit better again this morning so I went out to see how I got on. Managed to get 8k in but it was relatively slow. The hamstring wasn't as bad as Thursday and there wasn't much pain after the first k or so, but I'm still not 100% happy. I'm sure it'll be grand come tomorrow or Tuesday, and maybe an enforced week of lower mileage isn't the worst thing to happen.

Through not really knowing what to do in order to recover, I ended up doing a half and half mixture of foam rolling and stretching it. I can never get over how many differing opinions you can find on the internet over something that should be standard enough! Some places say never stretch a sore hamstring and that some light foam rolling should be all you do, while others say never foam roll it and just stretch it. I understand that a physio should be where you go for injuries, but I don't want to go to the physio and waste everyone's time for every little niggle.

Finally, I think I've decided on the meno plan. I still haven't had a chance to have a proper look at it and see where I may have problems with the intensity/mileage, but I should be able to complete most of it (though I may just do 20 miles instead of the 22 miles, although at the same time doing a bit more than 20 would be good for the confidence - we'll see how I get on). I plan to run 6 days a week with that plan, with Friday being a day off, but I may drop Tuesday every so often depending on how I feel that week after the long run and the day before the session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

What do others think of the idea of doing another Marathon 3 weeks before ?. I ran 16 miles this morning and feel, maybe , just maybe I need something before Dublin. In truth I'm probably not a 'Novice'...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done on all the runs this week. However you don't seem to specify the gap between your longer runs?

Mon - 10K
    Tue - Walk
    Wed - 10K
    Thur - Walk
    Fri - 5km
    Sat - 5km Parkrun
    Sun - rest

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

In relation to physio, were you trying to find this thread?

Definitely not the post I was thinking of, but certainly useful all the same. Will check them out, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Spirogyra wrote: »
    What do others think of the idea of doing another Marathon 3 weeks before ?. I ran 16 miles this morning and feel, maybe , just maybe I need something before Dublin. In truth I'm probably not a 'Novice'...

No, novice or not, this is not a good decision. It wades very deeply into the unknown of how it will work out, for 99% of people, it would be a complete disaster. Dublin is your target race and there is no need to run a marathon as practice. Your endurance is weak compared to your shorter times as it is which would lead me to 100% guarantee that it would be a nightmare and you would regret it after the DCM.

You are currently running three times a week, your body is not trained enough to recover from 2 efforts like that so close together. If you need something as you say, how about considering adding another run or two midweek to bolster up your training so you are running 4 or 5 times a week. I can not tell how much of a bigger difference that will make when you toe the line at the DCM in October than a marathon 3 weeks before as training. One is potentially disastrous, the other will improve your endurance tremendously. That's what that special something is in training, sustained hard work over months and not one run. Midweek mileage is highly under-rated in marathon training even though it is of huge benefit. One workout doesn't make a race ever and in this case specifically, the risks outweigh rewards by about a million times.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Kmagic I agree with you. (Don't know how to quote posts). I signed up here a few weeks ago and am sometimes a little intimidated too reading everyone else's times progress etc but I think we should still post away and join in. I have seen nothing but support on here for everyone and it's probably our own insecurities that make us fear joining in.

As for my runs lately, I got my lsr up to 10miles last weekend and felt good even worrying I was going to fast for an lsr, really felt yeah I can actually do this marathon thing. Stuck with the 10 miles again this week as didnt want to push to hard too soon and had an awful run, was way slower and thought id never get there had me really doubting myself. I suppose we will all have bad days even this early on.

On a good note I did an 8k race on Monday hoping for just under 45 mins and 'flew' home at 43:54! Delighted! Was intimidated at start as usual with everyone in their race t-shirts (from other runs) and looking like they knew what they were doing and me in a vest from Tesco but I held my own and reminded myself we are all on our own race and appearances aren't everything.

El Caballo wrote: »
    No, novice or not, this is not a good decision. It wades very deeply into the unknown of how it will work out, for 99% of people, it would be a complete disaster. Dublin is your target race and there is no need to run a marathon as practice. Your endurance is weak compared to your shorter times as it is which would lead me to 100% guarantee that it would be a nightmare and you would regret it after the DCM.

You are currently running three times a week, your body is not trained enough to recover from 2 efforts like that so close together. If you need something as you say, how about considering adding another run or two midweek to bolster up your training so you are running 4 or 5 times a week. I can not tell how much of a bigger difference that will make when you toe the line at the DCM in October than a marathon 3 weeks before as training. One is potentially disastrous, the other will improve your endurance tremendously. That's what that special something is in training, sustained hard work over months and not one run. Midweek mileage is highly under-rated in marathon training even though it is of huge benefit. One workout doesn't make a race ever and in this case specifically, the risks outweigh rewards by about a million times.
    Thanks, that make's sense, I was just well...am at 16 miles now when most plans are at 'about 8'. But yes it was just an 'off-the cuff' suggestion.

How do others recover from an lsr ? what does one eat ? does one rest most of the day afterwards if one can ?.

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »

I'm pretty sure one of last year novices ran a second marathon a few weeks after Dublin and I think they bettered their dcm time . Can't remember who though .

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure one of last year novices ran a second marathon a few weeks after Dublin and I think they bettered their dcm time . Can't remember who though .

Think I remember this too...think more sensible might be though, something significant before the DCM, is the Rock and Roll Half in the City Centre? Within easy distance of Heuston if I travelled up that morning ?. That is the purpose of other runs in the 'series' isn't it ? to provide a bridge ? Mini goals ? but I don't live in or near Dublin. Do others here generally do XC as well ? I'd say not as one wouldn't really help the other ? :)

Yeah It would be a risky strategy doing a full as a training run ahead of the main event .

Pretty sure there will be/is a half built into the boards plan usually Dublin but any one around the same time would have the desired effect.

Stick to the plan is someting you will hear a lot of between now and the end of October .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I ran my first 11K today (6.8 miles) It was a hard one as it was all hills I say I will feel this one in the morning! I do think my legs were tired though as I cycled 24k with my hubby yesterday up Hills ( Killeshin in Carlow) some views though so well worth the effort.

I have signed up for the 5 mile run on Sunday in the phoenix park and the Waterford Viking Marathon and going to run the 1/4 distance ( 11km I think)
    but first I am cycling in the Castle to Castle on wednesday

A question on increasing your distance, when you increase by 10% is that on your long run or 10% on your total distance ran in a week:)

great to see so many doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Have most people actually registered for the marathon yet? When would you usually have to do it by?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have most people actually registered for the marathon yet? When would you usually have to do it by?

It's three quarters full already - it'll probably sell out in July. Do it sooner than later, there'll be a mad rush once it starts getting close to selling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Singer wrote: »
    It's three quarters full already - it'll probably sell out in July. Do it sooner than later, there'll be a mad rush once it starts getting close to selling out.

Oh wow didn't realise that, will definitely get signed up asap! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

A friend has asked me to race the Dunshaughlin 10k with him, it's Saturday week, just before the plan starts and I'm running the IR5 next week.

Is it advisable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Haven't seen said friend in a number of years, well before I got into running. Met him at a funeral, I knew he was a runner and knew he was pretty good.

I asked him what his marathon pb was, expecting something like a tight sub3.

2:32!! :eek: Was blown away when he told me, his 5k best is 15:15, he used to post on here. He offered to give me plenty of advice and coaching over the next few months which is great, and asked me to join him and a buddy on some easy runs. His LSR pace is probably my tempo lol, so I dunno.

He offered me one important piece of advice and that's to make absolutely sure you run a negative split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Kmagic wrote: »
    Having read every page of the thread I feel like I have to comment.

I've read every post and all along I'm thinking "I'm running less distance than them" or "my 12 minute mile pace is too slow" and I realised other people are probably in a similar position to me thinking the same thing and not posting.

I probably may not ever be able to run a sub 25 minute 5k, i can't even do under 30 minute YET.

But for anyone else reading this now, if your pace is a 15 minute mile or 6 minute miles, we all chafe the same, we all feel the same post long run hunger and we will all feel the same thrill at the starting line on the day.

So dont compare yourself to others on here. You're running against the distance, and yourself. And we will all have many PBs recorded over the next while.

So onwards for upwards for everyone!!!

Il be chafing in the same wave as you "high five"!

Seriously great post. At then end of the day we will all run 26.2 miles, all different sizes, shapes and speeds. We are in this together :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Yes, have been running on and off for a couple of years. Did the DCM last year and it was my first marathon. Loved it, so am back for more punishment! :)
    5k: 21m
    10k: 48m
    Half: 1h 52m
    Marathon: 4h 17m

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do):
    No

How much training do you currently do ? At the moment, no set training plan. I'd go out for a 5/10k once every 2 weeks or so, just to keep general fitness up. The last run I did was Wexford half marathon in April

How many days a week can you train? I should be able to train 4 days a week.

And what plan do you intend to follow? Last year I followed the Hal Higdon plamn via this boards thread - this year, will follow the Boards plan

Why are you running this marathon? For the most part, I enjoyed the training last year, I did it on my own - my brother may be doing this year with me so that would be great. The atmosphere on the day of the races is amazing, and I couldn't imagine going along to support without running it myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hey all, just wondering if this year's link to the 2017 plan is up yet as the link on the first page still points to 2016...didn't know if I missed a link somewhere in a comment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Lazare wrote: »
    A friend has asked me to race the Dunshaughlin 10k with him, it's Saturday week, just before the plan starts and I'm running the IR5 next week.

Is it advisable?

Yes - it'll give you a good benchmark as to your fitness and if you run subsequent 10k's, you'll get great feedback as to how you are progressing.

You can count a race as a 'Monster session' - just take adequate recovery (very slow runs or rest) for 3 days after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Baby75 wrote: »

A question on increasing your distance, when you increase by 10% is that on your long run or 10% on your total distance ran in a week:)

Top of the class for that question!!

The 10% is 10% of your weekly total miles.

So if you run 30 miles a week - next weeks mileage 'could' be 33.

To make this 33, you can add 3 miles to your long run, if its appropriate, or add 1 mile to 3 runs during the week.
    Just be careful that your long run 'jump in miles' isn't too much. e.g. from 7 to 10 miles is a big jump.

You should also have 'recovery weeks' where the mileage drops and the long run is smaller than the previous week - in these cases its ok to increase the long run by more than 3 miles in the example above. (hopefully I'm not complicating this..........)

The plan you follow should have all this factored in.

Heres a link that I hope confirms what I just said :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Got a 10 mile run in today, and I must admit I'm pretty knackered now! What's the general advice on water intake on the long runs?

I'd sweat a lot more than the average person, and felt thirsty by mile 5. Water was in the car so persevered for the full 10 miles but I was pretty dehydrated by the time I got back to the car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hey all, just wondering if this year's link to the 2017 plan is up yet as the link on the first page still points to 2016...didn't know if I missed a link somewhere in a comment

A while back. Post 153.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Top of the class for that question!!

The 10% is 10% of your weekly total miles.

So if you run 30 miles a week - next weeks mileage 'could' be 33.

To make this 33, you can add 3 miles to your long run, if its appropriate, or add 1 mile to 3 runs during the week.
    Just be careful that your long run 'jump in miles' isn't too much. e.g. from 7 to 10 miles is a big jump.

You should also have 'recovery weeks' where the mileage drops and the long run is smaller than the previous week - in these cases its ok to increase the long run by more than 3 miles in the example above. (hopefully I'm not complicating this..........)

The plan you follow should have all this factored in.

Heres a link that I hope confirms what I just said :rolleyes:
    Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense :)

thunderdog wrote: »
    Got a 10 mile run in today, and I must admit I'm pretty knackered now! What's the general advice on water intake on the long runs?

I'd sweat a lot more than the average person, and felt thirsty by mile 5. Water was in the car so persevered for the full 10 miles but I was pretty dehydrated by the time I got back to the car.

I got small bottles that click onto a belt I wear for my phone, I hate holding one in my hand! but before you set out make sure you're well hydrated and then bring a small bottle with you incase you need it. I know some stash water or do loops past thier house for the LSR as they get longer or bring some change to stop at a shop.

I was lucky today it rained when I was running free drink and kept me cool :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

thunderdog wrote: »

I take a bit with breakfast so that there's something in me before leaving the house. Not that it probably helps a great deal. I also carry a decent sized bottle (with electrolyte) on a belt. I didn't have this starting out with training last year, but bought one as I didn't want to rely too much on water stations during the race, at least not until later on.

iirc, there was discussion before about hydration in terms of what your body needs and how it responds, maybe also re preventing problems, etc. I've been on a few activity holidays (cycling) in recent years. On one, a guide said one of the earliest signs of dehydration is irritability. :pac:;) I drink a fair bit of water on those so as not to be grumpy and keep the effects of the sun at bay. Importantly, don't wait until you're thirsty to have drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

So T-2 to the start of the official plans for DCM17 hopefully you are all fairly set on which plan to follow there will of course be some tweaking involved when other commitments get in the way ( I recall a 20 mile LSR on a Thursday after work before going away for a weekend!)

I know lots of you are base building so don't be afraid to share your weekly updates on here with others as you are all going through the same experiences it will be good learning for everyone especially as the weekly miles build up.

If any of your are doing the 5 mile on Saturday don't be afraid to give it a good lash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Hit personal milestone of hitting over 10km at weekend. Fairly decided I'll pick the HH model, with tweaks for weddings etc. Getting nervous starting it proper now but looking forward to the challenge that it is

Advertisement