Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Good luck to all the first timers on Sunday! I was in your shoes this time last year, one of the boards novices with the hard work all done and about to do my first marathon, and all I can say is that it is worth it, it really is.

As somebody who wasn't much of a runner before deciding to do something stupid like a marathon, coming from that perspective I thought I would jot down a few random thoughts and advice that might be useful to somebody, somewhere. :)

In no particular order:
    - Get into the expo early, or park away from it and walk in, its just an arse of a place to get into and out of.

- Same on the day itself, get in as early as you can. Last year I was stood outside the house waiting on a taxi that hadn't shown up wondering what the hell I was going to do, and then when I got in realised I had to walk a godawful distance around all the closed roads to get to the bag drop. It all worked out but who needs that stress, get in early and relax.

- I suppose you already know about buying cheap Pennys gear to wear pre-race and ditch before the start? Do it, it works, its a good idea.

- There were massive queues for the toilets pre-race last year, when waiting in the holding pens everybody will want to use the portaloos. But I would suggest waiting, when the earlier waves go you will filter into the pens vacated by those earlier waves and towards the start line, you will pass loads of loo's sitting empty and you will still have a good 5/10 minutes time to make use of them. So don't stress the big queues 20 minutes before the race, sit tight and grab one just before you start.

- Stick to your pace! My proudest achievement last year is that I held my pace from start to finish, I stuck to my plan, and come the last few km I am damn glad I did so! Be disciplined!

- By the way, those little pace bands you can nab at the expo are surprisingly useful. I had a garmin and thought I wouldn't need them, but they are a really good way of checking at a glance where you are compared to your goals!

- Ditch the headphones! Thats coming from an avowed headphone user, I always, always run listening to music, but honestly, they didn't help me last year and come the end when the struggles started they just became a nuisance.

- All my training last year was using the Choc Blok chewy gels, and I was happy enough with them in the main. I do wish though that I had something different for around mile 20, I started to get sick of the gels and struggled to keep taking them, I found that I really wanted something more substantial like a nutty bar or something like that. Think savoury instead of sugary. I couldn't face any more gels or any sugary drink like Lucozade, I really wish I could have had a protein bar and some water with a zero tab in it! So if you can, maybe give yourself that option...

- One thing I found was that there wasn't much water to be had along the last 5km, I would have killed for a bottle at that point but had to make do. Its worth bearing in mind, keep a bottle from earlier if you can.

- High five the little kids, it gives you power.

- The post race pint is a better idea in theory than in execution. ;) The post race cod and chips on the other hand...

- When stretching after you finish the Dublin City Marathon I recommend pulling your right hand over your left shoulder and giving yourself a big pat on the back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had no issues getting a bottle though....sip small amounts and often seems to be good advice....if you are feeling thirsty you are already starting to dehydrate

I spent a week camping in the Grand Canyon, by boat, a few years ago. Drinking water was sourced from the river, filtered - no one got sick. The guide said that one of the first signs of dehydration is irritability. This has stuck with me ever since. Whilst running you're not going to snap at your sibling/partner/housemate (unless you're running with them!), it's worth keeping eye on your mental state before the thirst kicks in. I've done a few cycling trips where water intake was important too...no headaches, thankfully.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    One of the best pieces of advice I took on board from last years thread was not to think of it as a 26.2 mile run but to break it down into three parts: 10M, 10M, and 10k.distances you are comfortable running . Ideally the first 10 miles will let you settle into you run and should feel comfortable , The second 10 will be tougher but once done you have broken the back of the distance and theres only 10 k left a distance you have ran numerous times in you training.

There's a link that goes with this. I can visualise it from last year. I've spent about 15 minutes searching last year's thread and nop's posts, but alas can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Was in bed at 10:30 with the alarm set for 6am.

Am now in the children's A&E with my toddler who fell out of her bed. She was hysterical with pain holding her neck and had a small nosebleed so i took no chances and brought her here.

Everything's fine now thankfully, fully checked over and tests done, and she's no longer in any pain. Keeping her in for another hour or so to monitor.

Fun and games, am sitting here watching Peppa in a hospital at almost 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Lazare wrote: »

Am now in the children's A&E with my toddler who fell out of her bed. She was hysterical with pain holding her neck and had a small nosebleed so i took no chances and brought her here.

Everything's fine now thankfully, fully checked over and tests done, and she's no longer in any pain. Keeping her in for another hour or so to monitor.

Oh no. Glad she is ok. Not what you need this week especially. Thank God for Peppa! On all day in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How long before does one generally consume liquid for the final time?don't want to be stuck in a very long queue for the loos. There's plenty of water along the way?Thanks ,S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Oh no hope you are both recovered now and having a nice lie on this morning!

Kellygirl, really hope the tummy settles today, at least you’ve a few more days to go back to the doctor and get some more meds if you need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Lazare wrote:

Glad shes okay, it's scary when kids get hurt and you dont know how bad it is. I can relate with sleepless nights - There was a stage in my life a few years ago where I spend weeks after weeks in childerns ward. When we brought our second gone home from hospital after birth, I had to go straight back in with the first one (tonsillitis), and when I brought her back, I had to go back in with the newborn (jaundice). Even hospital staff couldn't believe it. Glad its behind me, touch wood.

At least you now know how to win muddy puddle championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Met.ie "Sunday will be a dry day in almost all areas, though it will be mostly cloudy. Winds will be very light and variable. It will be cool though"
    Perfect weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wow, not what I was expecting this morning! Hope all's well now.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hoping it’s just something I ate. I did have acupuncture yesterday so wondering if that triggered something. Anyway, will medicate myself and hope for the best. Was just finishing making my pacebands and serious doubt setting in! Funny because I was cool as a breeze until earlier on. Time for taper madness to hit maybe!

Rarely a dull moment in marathon week :D

How does it feel today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

The main thing is that's she's ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Hope everything is ok now Pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lazare glad everything is ok again after your dramatic night. Bad timing but main thing is she is ok. It'd be worse next Saturday night :eek:

Kellygirl, how's your tummy today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How long before does one generally consume liquid for the final time?don't want to be stuck in a very long queue for the loos. There's plenty of water along the way?Thanks ,S

For a small race where I can go to the toilet 2 minutes before the start I stop drinking at least 30 minutes before the start, preferably more.

For something like Dublin where you're penned in for ages I'd stop drinking at least an hour before the start. Obviously make sure to drink enough before that cut off.

Also, I find that the urge to constantly be sipping water as well as feeling the need to go to a toilet in the last hour before the start are both a sign of nerves rather than an actual physical need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks guys, tough night but as you said the main thing is she's alright. Scared the hell out of us tbh.

Gonna have to skip the pace session today, a bit of a pity but I think I'll be grand, will run the easy one tomorrow. Just a little anxious about getting good sleep now. I'll be tucked up at 8 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am so glad she is ok and I hope you can catch up on some sleep! ah peppa pig my daughter loved that as well. I felt sorry for poor daddy pig who ever wrote had daddy issues
    Spirogyra wrote: »

if you read back to bucketybuck post no 5088
    you will get some great tips :)

Thanks bucketybuck for sharing :D

Kellygirl hope the tummy is ok today, mine did the exact same last night during my run :eek:

Got out for the easy 3 miles last night I had to drag myself out I was feeling very tired yesterday and during my run tummy was at me at the start. when we finished I synced my watch to my phone it showed GPS updating then finished but did not show my run, it was gone from my watch but not on my app I actually thought it deleted it, had a little bit of a freak out about it possibly happening on Sunday LOL :D But my run is there this morning showing in the app and on strava :confused: I have a tom tom watch I am going to make sure it is fully charged and updated for Sunday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Cracking morning out there for a run, had to do 3m slightly faster to get home and get ready to go to the physio. On the way now, knee feeling surprisingly good!!

Cannot believe we're only a couple days away, 18 weeks absolutely flew in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Cracking morning out there for a run, had to do 3m slightly faster to get home and get ready to go to the physio. On the way now, knee feeling surprisingly good!!

Cannot believe we're only a couple days away, 18 weeks absolutely flew in!

Yay great that the knee has come good!! Did you wear the new strap? How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Wore it last night and didn't feel a single bit of pain although it was only 3m, that's not to say I won't feel it during the 26.2 on Sunday! :D have it with me to see what the physio thinks of it. I know it's going to flare up but if I can make it as far as I can without it happening, I'll be a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rarely a dull moment in marathon week :D

Still no reports of injuries caused by assembling flat pack furniture or catching up on that ever growing list of DIY jobs that have been neglected over the last few months . Either they have very understanding partners or they are winging it until next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

What's the story with cycling to the marathon? Two things I guess, is there an 'official' place to leave the bike? If not I can just leave it in Trinity college I guess. And secondly, is it advisable? I'm only 2/3 miles out from Merrion square and coming from Northside so road closures shouldn't affect me too much. A good warmup, or a bad idea?

Still no reports of injuries caused by assembling flat pack furniture or catching up on that ever growing list of DIY jobs that have been neglected over the last few months . Either they have very understanding partners or they are winging it until next week.

Lifted up all the decking out the back on Sunday (just in time for Halloween). Back was in bits Monday and seemed to move down to my hammers yesterday. Epsom salt bath last night (first time ever) seemed to help a bit. Same tonight and hopefully all good then

We spent most of the week of my first marathon moving house. Far from ideal (purely in relation to marathon prep!) but it had to be done :D
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Lifted up all the decking out the back on Sunday (just in time for Halloween). Back was in bits Monday and seemed to move down to my hammers yesterday. Epsom salt bath last night (first time ever) seemed to help a bit. Same tonight and hopefully all good then

Didn't we talk about not trying anything new in the week of the marathon? :pac: Fingers crossed everything will be grand after tonight.

Probably answered somewhere on the thread already but does anyone know if the water stations are cups or bottles.? Or a mix.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

For a small race where I can go to the toilet 2 minutes before the start I stop drinking at least 30 minutes before the start, preferably more.

For something like Dublin where you're penned in for ages I'd stop drinking at least an hour before the start. Obviously make sure to drink enough before that cut off.

Also, I find that the urge to constantly be sipping water as well as feeling the need to go to a toilet in the last hour before the start are both a sign of nerves rather than an actual physical need.

My mouth does be dry a lot of the time, I'm definitely not suffering with a disorder, drink vast amounts of tea though, really vast amounts (albeit usually quite weak) . Cut it out to very low amounts next few days ? :)

Didn't we talk about not trying anything new in the week of the marathon? :pac: Fingers crossed everything will be grand after tonight.

desperate times and all of that......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

God Lazare that sounds awful, Glad all is OK now and you still have a few nights to catch up on missed sleep so will be fine.

I have a question re traffic on Sunday morning.
    I am travelling up from Athlone with a friend who is also running.
    Normally that hour of a Sunday morning you'd fly into and around Dublin no bother but was just wondering could there be an issue with traffic given the day that's in it. We will be aware of road closures etc but apart from that do the roads tend to be busy?

Thanks.

henrietta wrote: »
    God Lazare that sounds awful, Glad all is OK now and you still have a few nights to catch up on missed sleep so will be fine.

I have a question re traffic on Sunday morning.
    I am travelling up from Athlone with a friend who is also running.
    Normally that hour of a Sunday morning you'd fly into and around Dublin no bother but was just wondering could there be an issue with traffic given the day that's in it. We will be aware of road closures etc but apart from that do the roads tend to be busy?

Thanks.

We travelled in alongside the Grand Canal last year, arriving at Leeson Street bridge around 7:30. Traffic was ok IIRC, there were a good few people coming in and getting parking further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Bottles all the way D.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Probably answered somewhere on the thread already but does anyone know if the water stations are cups or bottles.? Or a mix.?

• Advertisement

What's the story with cycling to the marathon? Two things I guess, is there an 'official' place to leave the bike? If not I can just leave it in Trinity college I guess. And secondly, is it advisable? I'm only 2/3 miles out from Merrion square and coming from Northside so road closures shouldn't affect me too much. A good warmup, or a bad idea?

Don't know the answer to that one I'm afraid. Sure you're not going to get too much better than Trinners for proximity to the start and finish areas. Fine for a warmup I'd say.

Advertisement