Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

My Junior Golf Convermer introduced me to the 6ps

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Still stick by that.....you have that well covered!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    In the words of a legend from Mayfield...fail to prepare, prepare to fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Excellent news Damo, brought a smile to my face.

Can't wait to read that post WW, like browneyes, gonna read that in bed. Very shortly. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Back from the physios. Gave my calf a seeing to and gave me the go ahead for Sunday. Which is good, because today I was in a mood of "feck what the physio says, I'm going to give it a shot anyway". Tomorrow I may be cursing him for not giving me the excuse I want to pull out though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

So I am in Wave 2 but do you think I can stealth my way into the Wave 3 start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So I am in Wave 2 but do you think I can stealth my way into the Wave 3 start?

You can just walk in. Moving up isn’t permitted, moving down is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Last run with my training buddy this evening, 3 miles easy. Ahem, it was quicker than we normally run but we were chatting all the way, so that's easy isn't it? It felt great, proper running, I felt like I could have run much faster, but held back, I have really been doubting myself, with long very slow runs but was buzzing at the end and can't wait to do park runs again. I'm definitely not a long distance runner but hopefully can become a decent 5 and 10km runner - for a woman of my age ;)

Great to see most people coming through the injury worries, I keep checking to see if ariana has posted, fingers and toes (with short nails) all crossed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

quickbeam wrote: »
    Back from the physios. Gave my calf a seeing to and gave me the go ahead for Sunday. Which is good, because today I was in a mood of "feck what the physio says, I'm going to give it a shot anyway". Tomorrow I may be cursing him for not giving me the excuse I want to pull out though :)

Brilliant news. That’s great.

Ariana, hope your news will be the same.

Great post about the route Wubble Wubble! Just skimmed over it and will read it in detail later.

Just back from the Wednesay club session in Donore.....

The medals were being sorted in the marathon office (it is part of our club house) the pace cars are in the car park it is nearly go time!!

One of the lads who is working that water station at the club was saying they have been told that the Lucozade is going to be in cups this year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

QB brilliant news :)

Run was o-k I think. Slight tightness at the back of the offending knee but no pain as such. A lot of niggles in the other leg though (taper madness I hope or else the other leg is compensating :eek:).

HR was thru the roof, average was more than 25 bpm higher than normal for the pace/distance. I guess the head cold? Pace was slower than normal... About 30 seconds/km slower than I've been running my LSRs. My garmin gave me 4 days as recovery time :(

Anyhow I'm lining up in Sunday. At this stage I'd rather be a DNF than a DNS. If nothing else I'll learn more lessons from the experience than I will from sitting at home!!!! So bring it on now :eek:

Lots of good news on the injury list today....brilliant to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

ariana` wrote: »

HR was thru the roof, average was more than 25 bpm higher than normal for the pace/distance. I guess the head cold? Pace was slower than normal... About 30 seconds/km slower than I've been running my LSRs. My garmin gave me 4 days as recovery time :(

Great news , my heart rate has been very high today took it out of interest. It's about 20-30 bpm higher at rest. Its probably sickness related.

Great news , my heart rate has been very high today took it out of interest. It's about 20-30 bpm higher at rest. Its probably sickness related.

Ya prob it. Hope we're both better by Sunday x

Run was o-k I think. Slight tightness at the back of the offending knee but no pain as such. A lot of niggles in the other leg though (taper madness I hope or else the other leg is compensating :eek:).

Anyhow I'm lining up in Sunday. At this stage I'd rather be a DNF than a DNS. If nothing else I'll learn more lessons from the experience than I will from sitting at home!!!! So bring it on now :eek:

Thrilled for you. My run felt all over the place today 8n terms of breathing, pace, heart rate. We’ll be fine on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Wubble Wubble great post I'm going to read that now same as everyone else when I get a chance to chill ☺

Delighted to see great updates for injury's we are nearly there

Just back from the Wednesay club session in Donore.....

The medals were being sorted in the marathon office (it is part of our club house) the pace cars are in the car park it is nearly go time!!

One of the lads who is working that water station at the club was saying they have been told that the Lucozade is going to be in cups this year though!

From post on FB:

22815228_10155831315058185_7176903404625092131_n.jpg?oh=01b8001bd3d84a1e2353f9bc93e672b5&oe=5AB0132C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's brilliant news, it would have been so cruel had you not been able to take part.

More brilliant news, indeed! Look forward to hearing all about it :)

Yevon wrote: »
    Think I tore cartilage in my knee while doing hip stretches last night. Physio early tomorrow to confirm but I don't hold much hope. Absolutely gutted.

Wow! Sorry I only saw this after I sent the posts through either side.

Best of luck, hopefully it's just a case of fearing the worst, and you'll be able to line up.

DCM 2017 Course Guide

Just read it. Impressive stuff. Makes me even more excited and even more nervous all at the same time :) :eek:

Just read it. Impressive stuff. Makes me even more excited and even more nervous all at the same time :) :eek:

Just finished reading myself feeling the exact same excited nervous holy crap it's really happening lol

Wubble wubble thank you brilliant post I'll be reading it a few times so it's in my head for the day

• Advertisement

Think I tore cartilage in my knee while doing hip stretches last night. Physio early tomorrow to confirm but I don't hold much hope. Absolutely gutted.

Good luck tomorrow I hope it's not as bad as you expect

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

WW.....great post..... currently busy tattooing that post onto the back of my eyelids so that I got it for Sunday!!! 😂

Starting to feel like a kid at Christmas with the nervous excitement.

Good luck this morn. Let us know how you get on.

Yevon fingers crossed it's not as serious as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm thinking of doing the Parkrun Saturday , haven't run since last Thursday and not well enough to run this week , my plan was to run it at PMP if I can't hold PMP for Parkrun it won't be a good sign , would that be a wise move or too close to marathon to do 3 miles at MP?

Very bad idea - I done my last MP session on Tuesday - 2 miles at MP and it was a real struggle - this is normal before a big race as your had and body are trying to protect you from whats to come (Central Governor Theory).

So if you do 3m at MP and it goes terrible - is it due to this or other issues? Doing a 2m super slow jog is good enough.

Great post J, however you've missed out one climb. Now people, dont get too down about this hill. I was leaving work on Leeson Street today and noticed the massive climb below, from the arrow to the traffic light. It may well be in mile 1, but I recommend taking this one easy.

20171025_161523.jpg

I seen this myself at the weekend and thought the same - the 1st 7 are going to be tough - but we wont know it til later in the race.

Super news - delighted to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Regarding hydration - we're all drinking lots and lots of water this week, so we are diluting our natural salts in our body.

Make sure you have a zero tab, nuun tab, dioralyte or similar each day to ensure you natural salts aren't too diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Is 3m very easy (i.e. parkrun) on Sat morning ok.? Only an extra mile and planning doing it barely above walking pace with my son

WW.....great post..... currently busy tattooing that post onto the back of my eyelids so that I got it for Sunday!!! ��

Starting to feel like a kid at Christmas with the nervous excitement.

I'd much rather be a kid at Christmas right now :pac:

I'm really not feeling the love for these last few days. I'm feeling very deflated and apathetic right now. I can't even explain the feeling. I should be over-joyed that i'm actually getting to run but i feel like all the good has been sucked out of it with the roller-coaster ride in the past few weeks. I feel unfit and sore (everywhere now - i tried to scratched my back last night and pulled something in my shoulder :( i mean seriously) I know this may be tmi but i'm keep spontaneously bursting into tears and i can't even explain what is wrong. My OH is fed up of me but trying, god bless him, to be supportive. I've spent the last 3 nights twisting & turning in bed and now i just feel wrecked and hopeless :(

And then i think of Leesider who isn't even getting to start and i feel guilty, i need to snap out of it :o

• Advertisement

Regarding hydration - we're all drinking lots and lots of water this week, so we are diluting our natural salts in our body.

Make sure you have a zero tab, nuun tab, dioralyte or similar each day to ensure you natural salts aren't too diluted.

I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Advertisement