Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

ariana` wrote: »
    I'd much rather be a kid at Christmas right now :pac:

I'm really not feeling the love for these last few days. I'm feeling very deflated and apathetic right now. I can't even explain the feeling. I should be over-joyed that i'm actually getting to run but i feel like all the good has been sucked out of it with the roller-coaster ride in the past few weeks. I feel unfit and sore (everywhere now - i tried to scratched my back last night and pulled something in my shoulder :( i mean seriously) I know this may be tmi but i'm keep spontaneously bursting into tears and i can't even explain what is wrong. My OH is fed up of me but trying, god bless him, to be supportive. I've spent the last 3 nights twisting & turning in bed and now i just feel wrecked and hopeless :(

And then i think of Leesider who isn't even getting to start and i feel guilty, i need to snap out of it :o

after all your ups and downs the last few weeks, you'll feel even more elated at the start (and finish) line on Sunday knowing what you've put yourself through to get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I know this may be tmi but i'm keep spontaneously bursting into tears and i can't even explain what is wrong. My OH is fed up of me but trying, god bless him, to be supportive. I've spent the last 3 nights twisting & turning in bed and now i just feel wrecked and hopeless :(

Your going to need a box of tissues at mile 26 on Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Your going to need a box of tissues at mile 26 on Sunday !

Oh stop I'm in tears again just thinking about crossing the line. If i get that far god i'll need a truck load of tissues :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Taper madness ariana? It is a real thing, and sounds as though you're in the middle of it. You've put in so much work, your body is probably reacting to the come down of not running so much these last few weeks. Possibly tmi but a few women I've been speaking to have mad hormonal stuff going on all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Is 3m very easy (i.e. parkrun) on Sat morning ok.? Only an extra mile and planning doing it barely above walking pace with my son

I'd say so. If it's your local parkrun, sure there aren't even any hills in that one, apart from that little hump you go over on the short lap :D Once the young lad doesn't start getting competitive that is!

• Advertisement

Once the young lad doesn't start getting competitive that is!
    I'll have to put him in his place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd say so. If it's your local parkrun, sure there aren't even any hills in that one, apart from that little hump you go over on the short lap :D Once the young lad doesn't start getting competitive that is!

On a similar note would doing a super easy 2m shuffle on both Friday and Saturday be a problem? I'd normally favour doing one or the other but think I'll lose my few remaining marbles if I don't get out each day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Couldn't find a pace band that I could fill in with my personal pref for each mile online, so made my own.
    Ended up getting carried away with formulas and now this gives split for each mile, and average pace so far at each mile, based on what pace is set.
    Might be of use to someone else. Just change the "Pace" box for each mile and it should do the rest.
    Then copy the data into a word doc table and adjust to suit! I've included my own possible versions.

Marathon Pace Band.xlsx

ARC Pace Band.docx

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

A Novices premonition:
    Well it's finally arrived, it's DCM day! Right I am up, breakfast sorted and out the door at stupid o'clock to get my Tram/Train/Car/Lift to the City Centre.
    Wow....the atmosphere in the city is electric....everyone is wearing Asics runners are buzzing around like bees.....I'd better follow the swarm that is heading towards Stephen's Green direction.
    Jaysus, these people all look very fit, I hope I have done enough training, no....no self doubts, I have done enough, stay positive, I can do this!

Right, I am finally at the start line of the DCM, this is actually happening, I am going to run the marathon today...little old me.....who would have believed that.....God I am dying for a pee (yes another one, stupid Lucozade:rolleyes:).

The National Anthem starts..........lump in my throat....tears in my eyes.......this is amazing......especially as I am originally from Honduras :eek:

And we are off......Holy Jebus, I am actually running in the marathon.....this is great......why are those people booting off down the quays like lunatics.....maybe I should speed up too and stay with them .......oh wait......they have now ground to halt and have their hands over their heads and are wrecked already....stick to the plan!

Wait a minute, we are in the Phoenix park already.....I am flying......this is the best day of my life.......look at the crowds at the Castleknock gates, this is MENTAL.....the support is amazing.

Back into the Park again Running down the Upper Glen road.... so handy running down this hill rather than up it........oh wait ......this hill under the motorway is a bit steep.....didn't see that coming........wow, nearly at the halfway point now, I am actually going to do this!

Crumlin road......time to hide behind other people and conserve energy......the crowds at the Cherry Tree roundabout are crazy too.....now on to a nice flat bit of road......this is great!

In to Milltown......getting a bit tougher now, passed 34K now.....I have never run this far in my life......Roebuck Road ......u is going down.....right that bit done it is all downhill from here.......weeeeeee....this is a nice .....what a ramp up the flyover.....not fair....u all said it was downhill from here....:D

Right....have looked at the Garmin 16 times in the past 30 seconds and it shows 38K.....almost there......I have made a pact with my legs that if they hold out for another 20-25 minutes, I will stop running for 2 weeks....my legs just gave me a dirty look and then nodded in agreement...deal made! I am NEVER doing this again...:mad:

Wow, I can heard the noise of the crowd sucking me in......must eat the last few jelly babies to give a sugar kick for the last few miles......

It's there, I can finally see the finish line, 800M away they say....the roar of the crowd is deafening....cheering me....yes including me on......time to floor it.....wait......I have nothing left in the tank to floor ......just keep going remember to smile going over the finish line for the photo's afterward.

Ta dah....I am finished, done, finito, don't care about the damn time .......just had that medal draped over me......I am wrecked but so happy, I AM A MARATHON RUNNER....off to McGrattans to share stories with the other Novices.....a pint or two later, pain has subsided a bit......that was amazing.....I am DEFO doing this again next year......

Best of Luck Novices......stay positive and you will have a blast. ;)
    Smashiner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

dos29 wrote: »
    Couldn't find a pace band that I could fill in with my personal pref for each mile online, so made my own.
    Ended up getting carried away with formulas and now this gives split for each mile, and average pace so far at each mile, based on what pace is set.
    Might be of use to someone else. Just change the "Pace" box for each mile and it should do the rest.
    Then copy the data into a word doc table and adjust to suit! I've included my own possible versions.

Marathon Pace Band.xlsx

ARC Pace Band.docx

On that note mine is in km splits so if anybody wants the template I can email it on. I have it stored in my email so not sure how to share here. No formulae or anything fancy but looks good and sized to print and go straight onto your wrist.

• Advertisement

On the course they have mile markers and 5km markers . Mentally for me now , I'm going to break it up as 8 parkruns (+half a parkrun). I'm just going to try run as many parkruns as I can at about 23:30, this should be easy to calculate and its not going to rain so i'll write on my arm 23.30/47/70.30/94...........and it breaks the race in to what seems like easy chunks , 23:30 a parkrun sounds easy so i've mentally fooled myself already , Me 1 Brain 0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

muddypaws wrote: »
    Taper madness ariana? It is a real thing, and sounds as though you're in the middle of it. You've put in so much work, your body is probably reacting to the come down of not running so much these last few weeks. Possibly tmi but a few women I've been speaking to have mad hormonal stuff going on all of a sudden.

Exercise does help to 'regulate' 'hormones' I think.... So I could believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

skyblue46 wrote: »
    On a similar note would doing a super easy 2m shuffle on both Friday and Saturday be a problem? I'd normally favour doing one or the other but think I'll lose my few remaining marbles if I don't get out each day. :)

If you really need to, it should be ok going super slow. See how you feel after Friday; no need to set your heart on doing both.

Can i ask advice on strategy

I'm entered in Wave 3 as I'd thought 4:30 was doable way back when i entered.

However my current goals are:
    A. 4:39:xx
    B. 4:59:xx
    C. finish the damn thing and i'll be very very happy with that too :cool:

So with regards to strategy, do I

1). Start in Wave 3 and pace myself at 4:40 pace. This might give me 2 options: assuming i start roughly 5/6 minutes ahead of the 4:30 pace group then they should catch me shortly after half-way and maybe then i'd find myself in a position to pick up the pace and stay with the 4:30 group to finish in 4:36:xx. If they don't pass me at the right time or i can't pick up the pace or any other alternative well then i just carry on pacing myself according to how the day is going (B & C options will be kept in mind).

Or do I
    2). Drop back a wave and join the 4:40 group and stick with them (with a flexible attitude to losing them on hills and reining them in again etc.)

I did pace myself on a HM last year. The first 1/3 the pace felt slow, the middle 1/3 it was comfortable, and the last 1/3 i had to dig a little deeper but i stayed on track aiming for 2:10, finished in 2:09:xx, i was thrilled with my one and only attempt to pace myself over a longer distance.

Whereas I have no real experience of a pace group, so that option would be a complete unknown. My other fear of the pace group option is if the 4:40 pace group pull away i could get very demoralised watching them disappear :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'd much rather be a kid at Christmas right now :pac:

I'm really not feeling the love for these last few days. I'm feeling very deflated and apathetic right now. I can't even explain the feeling. I should be over-joyed that i'm actually getting to run but i feel like all the good has been sucked out of it with the roller-coaster ride in the past few weeks. I feel unfit and sore (everywhere now - i tried to scratched my back last night and pulled something in my shoulder :( i mean seriously) I know this may be tmi but i'm keep spontaneously bursting into tears and i can't even explain what is wrong. My OH is fed up of me but trying, god bless him, to be supportive. I've spent the last 3 nights twisting & turning in bed and now i just feel wrecked and hopeless :(

And then i think of Leesider who isn't even getting to start and i feel guilty, i need to snap out of it :o

Have a look though aceygray's posts from the 2016 novices thread. She suffered a similar injury to you, on a 20 miler iirc, a few weeks before and was doubtful that she'd start. She missed a load of training, lowered her goal when she got the ok to run, then proceeded to smash that goal.
    Don't underestimate the power of running with 20,000 people on Sunday.

Can i ask advice on strategy

I'm entered in Wave 3 as I'd thought 4:30 was doable way back when i entered.

However my current goals are:
    A. 4:39:xx
    B. 4:59:xx
    C. finish the damn thing and i'll be very very happy with that too :cool:

So with regards to strategy, do I

1). Start in Wave 3 and pace myself at 4:40 pace. This might give me 2 options: assuming i start roughly 5/6 minutes ahead of the 4:30 pace group then they should catch me shortly after half-way and maybe then i'd find myself in a position to pick up the pace and stay with the 4:30 group to finish in 4:36:xx. If they don't pass me at the right time or i can't pick up the pace or any other alternative well then i just carry on pacing myself according to how the day is going (B & C options will be kept in mind).

Or do I
    2). Drop back a wave and join the 4:40 group and stick with them (with a flexible attitude to losing them on hills and reining them in again etc.)

I did pace myself on a HM last year. The first 1/3 the pace felt slow, the middle 1/3 it was comfortable, and the last 1/3 i had to dig a little deeper but i stayed on track aiming for 2:10, finished in 2:09:xx, i was thrilled with my one and only attempt to pace myself over a longer distance.

Whereas I have no real experience of a pace group, so that option would be a complete unknown. My other fear of the pace group option is if the 4:40 pace group pull away i could get very demoralised watching them disappear :cool:

I'd recommend dropping back to start with the 4:40 pacers. It might be bad seeing them pull away, but it's worse starting ahead then seeing them pass you out of the blue. I've suffered both options in my 2 marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

yeah - keep it slow - no fitness to be gained, only fatigue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

smashiner wrote: »
    A Novices premonition:
    Well it's finally arrived, it's DCM day! Right I am up, breakfast sorted and out the door at stupid o'clock to get my Tram/Train/Car/Lift to the City Centre.
    Wow....the atmosphere in the city is electric....everyone is wearing Asics runners are buzzing around like bees.....I'd better follow the swarm that is heading towards Stephen's Green direction.
    Jaysus, these people all look very fit, I hope I have done enough training, no....no self doubts, I have done enough, stay positive, I can do this!

Right, I am finally at the start line of the DCM, this is actually happening, I am going to run the marathon today...little old me.....who would have believed that.....God I am dying for a pee (yes another one, stupid Lucozade:rolleyes:).

The National Anthem starts..........lump in my throat....tears in my eyes.......this is amazing......especially as I am originally from Honduras :eek:

And we are off......Holy Jebus, I am actually running in the marathon.....this is great......why are those people booting off down the quays like lunatics.....maybe I should speed up too and stay with them .......oh wait......they have now ground to halt and have their hands over their heads and are wrecked already....stick to the plan!

Wait a minute, we are in the Phoenix park already.....I am flying......this is the best day of my life.......look at the crowds at the Castleknock gates, this is MENTAL.....the support is amazing.

Back into the Park again Running down the Upper Glen road.... so handy running down this hill rather than up it........oh wait ......this hill under the motorway is a bit steep.....didn't see that coming........wow, nearly at the halfway point now, I am actually going to do this!

Crumlin road......time to hide behind other people and conserve energy......the crowds at the Cherry Tree roundabout are crazy too.....now on to a nice flat bit of road......this is great!

In to Milltown......getting a bit tougher now, passed 34K now.....I have never run this far in my life......Roebuck Road ......u is going down.....right that bit done it is all downhill from here.......weeeeeee....this is a nice .....what a ramp up the flyover.....not fair....u all said it was downhill from here....:D

Right....have looked at the Garmin 16 times in the past 30 seconds and it shows 38K.....almost there......I have made a pact with my legs that if they hold out for another 20-25 minutes, I will stop running for 2 weeks....my legs just gave me a dirty look and then nodded in agreement...deal made! I am NEVER doing this again...:mad:

Wow, I can heard the noise of the crowd sucking me in......must eat the last few jelly babies to give a sugar kick for the last few miles......

It's there, I can finally see the finish line, 800M away they say....the roar of the crowd is deafening....cheering me....yes including me on......time to floor it.....wait......I have nothing left in the tank to floor ......just keep going remember to smile going over the finish line for the photo's afterward.

Ta dah....I am finished, done, finito, don't care about the damn time .......just had that medal draped over me......I am wrecked but so happy, I AM A MARATHON RUNNER....off to McGrattans to share stories with the other Novices.....a pint or two later, pain has subsided a bit......that was amazing.....I am DEFO doing this again next year......

Best of Luck Novices......stay positive and you will have a blast. ;)
    Smashiner

Brilliant Smashier I hope I can forget about the miles and not be checking my watch LOL and just enjoy the day
    I'd recommend dropping back to start with the 4:40 pacers. It might be bad seeing them pull away, but it's worse starting ahead then seeing them pass you out of the blue. I've suffered both options in my 2 marathons.

Ariana I have to agree, at the half marathon I watched the 2.30 pacers pull away they went out of sight but slowly but surely they came back in to view and I reeled them in and passed them, it felt great I had 2 hrs 30 in my head to finish but taking the fist 10k handy I felt comfortable pushing on and I managed to come in at 2hrs 11 minutes,
    Now the 3/4 I started at the back of the 4.30 pacers we went in front of them, we lost sight of them but I slowed down and they passed me which felt horrible I was kicking myself.

Also, remember as Wubble wubble pointed out they will be keeping a certain pace so do not worry if the Pacers pull ahead a little esp in drags or inclines in the first 7 miles esp if you pace your self which I know you will, you will have no problem picking it up and reeling them in and passing them if your feeling good

The weather forecast is holding and looking absolutely perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

I am a 2.05 - 2.10 half marathon runner, i am going to try my best and enjoy this occasion. I hope i am being conservative and going with the 4.40 pacer and if i improve later in the course all very well and good.

The overwhelming advice is to take the first marathon handy, and that's what i aim to do, enjoyment is the name of the game.

Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

yeah - keep it slow - no fitness to be gained, only fatigue :)

Mind made up...Saturday only! Sure I'll have enough to entertain my marbles at the expo tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Told you I had that arranged!
    Kellygirl wrote: »

Mind made up...Saturday only! Sure I'll have enough to entertain my marbles at the expo tomorrow :)

I'd love to be able get to the Expo tomorrow and really enjoy it so enjoy it for me also :P I will have to fly in and out on Saturday, 3 kids will be waiting in the car after the long journey up and i don't want to wear myself out so it'll be a dash in and out :cool:

nedsgarden wrote: »
    I am a 2.05 - 2.10 half marathon runner, i am going to try my best and enjoy this occasion. I hope i am being conservative and going with the 4.40 pacer and if i improve later in the course all very well and good.

The overwhelming advice is to take the first marathon handy, and that's what i aim to do, enjoyment is the name of the game.

Best of luck to all.

Might see you in the 4:40 group so :eek:

Anyone else want to be in the cool gang :D

Very bad idea - I done my last MP session on Tuesday - 2 miles at MP and it was a real struggle - this is normal before a big race as your had and body are trying to protect you from whats to come (Central Governor Theory).

So if you do 3m at MP and it goes terrible - is it due to this or other issues? Doing a 2m super slow jog is good enough.

Thanks for this , haven't ran in a week now so would just like one mile at marathon pace as a confidence booster , maybe 1km at marathon pace be a good compromise , either way I just want to get a run in before Sunday.

It's amazing when you start following a plan 7 days without running feels like a lifetime , this used to be the norm for me a year ago just turning up for one Parkrun a week.

Starting behind the 4:30 guys even though my first km according to my pace calculator is slower than 4:40 pace so i’ll be around there for the first 10k or so anyway.

Starting behind the 4:30 guys even though my first km according to my pace calculator is slower than 4:40 pace so i’ll be around there for the first 10k or so anyway.

The more the merrier even if it is just for a few km :D

The wind forecast is pretty good, about 10mph. Looks like it will be against us going up Chesterfield so remember to keep it easy.
    For the nerds (yes, me included):

Beaufort Wind Scale
    0 --- Calm|less than 1 mph (0 m/s)|Smoke rises vertically
    1 --- Light air|1 - 3 mph (0.5-1.5 m/s)|Smoke drifts with air, weather vanes inactive
    2 --- Light breeze|4 - 7 mph (2-3 m/s)|Weather vanes active, wind felt on face, leaves rustle
    3 --- Gentle breeze|8 - 12 mph (3.5-5 m/s)|Leaves & small twigs move, light flags extend
    4 --- Moderate breeze|13 - 18 mph (5.5-8 m/s)|Small branches sway, dust & loose paper blows about
    5 --- Fresh breeze|19 - 24 mph (8.5-10.5 m/s)|Small trees sway, waves break on inland waters
    6 --- Strong breeze|25 - 31 mph (11-13.5 m/s)|Large branches sway, umbrellas difficult to use
    7 --- Moderate gale|32 - 38 mph (14-16.5 m/s)|Whole trees sway, difficult to walk against wind
    8 --- Fresh gale|39 - 46 mph (17-20 m/s)|Twigs broken off trees, walking against wind very difficult
    9 --- Strong gale|47 - 54 mph (20.5-23.5 m/s)|Slight damage to buildings, shingles blown off roof
    10 -- Whole gale|55 - 63 mph (24-27.5 m/s)|Trees uprooted, considerable damage to buildings
    11 -- Storm|64 - 73 mph (28-31.5 m/s)|Widespread damage, very rare occurrence
    12 -- Hurricane| over 73 mph (over 32 m/s)|Violent destruction

The wind forecast is pretty good, about 10mph. Looks like it will be against us going up Chesterfield so remember to keep it easy.

'Should' that mean on your back for Crumlin Rd.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

I probably should be there but couldn't decide between 4.30 and 4.40 so have split the difference and going for 4.35. Ye will probably pass me at some stage. I'll be in a bright pink t shirt and probably looking very sorry for myself!!

Advertisement