Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Novices running in the 4:40 group younganne is one of the pacers - don't be shy about identifying yourself as a boardsie to anyone :D if they're not one they won't know what you're talking about and it won't matter!!

Also for those of you in the 4 hour group the legend that was marthastew (well she still is a legend, just doesn't post much anymore!!) and Mr Stew are pacing that. Tell her you're a boards novice.

Also pacing:
    Snailsong 3:40
    FBOT 3:30
    Killerz 3:20
    Meno in there somewhere too either 4:10 or 4:20 I think

It's all getting very exciting now, the weather is looking fandabydoozy you lucky things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Novices running in the 4:40 group younganne is one of the pacers - don't be shy about identifying yourself as a boardsie to anyone :D if they're not one they won't know what you're talking about and it won't matter!!

Also for those of you in the 4 hour group the legend that was marthastew (well she still is a legend, just doesn't post much anymore!!) and Mr Stew are pacing that. Tell her you're a boards novice.

Also pacing:

It's all getting very exciting now, the weather is looking fandabydoozy you lucky things :pac:

And if you see/hear a person shouting and screaming while riding a bike - its Annie Get You Run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

I'll be starting in Wave 4 and wearing a fluoro green/yellow Port Hills Athletics Club singlet (http://www.porthills.org.nz/uniforms/#single/0) if anyone spots me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    'Should' that mean on your back for Crumlin Rd.?

Afraid not, more of a crosswind up Crumlin Rd. Don't worry though, just get yourself tucked in behind a few people, let others take the brunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Might see you in the 4:40 group so :eek:

Anyone else want to be in the cool gang :D

I am dipping my toe in :) but will be taking it easy for the first half so may see you for a few KM anyway

I had the pleasure of meeting youganne at the 3/4 :D if your on a bike how will we know for sure its you LOL just so I can say hello :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    'Should' that mean on your back for Crumlin Rd.?

No matter the supposed wind direction, there is ALWAYS a headwind when running up Crumlin Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    I am dipping my toe in :) but will be taking it easy for the first half so may see you for a few KM anyway

Me too. I'm saying 4:40 to give myself a starting point but to be honest what's the difference between 4:40 and 4:45 or even 4:50 or 4:55? It might be different if i was going for a sub 4 or some other milestone but at the level i'm at they are all just arbitrary times. If i finish it will be a PB and a massive achievement. Just to have survived the training is a massive achievement if you ask me :D. I actually can't believe now as i sit here that I've done runs up to and including 20 miles and did them on my own and not always in favourable conditions either. We are all superstars already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Final training run done, nice easy 2 miles through Belleek wood whilst it was being decorated for a Halloween event, made it more interesting. Rest until 9.30 on Sunday now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Me too. I'm saying 4:40 to give myself a starting point but to be honest what's the difference between 4:40 and 4:45 or even 4:50 or 4:55? It might be different if i was going for a sub 4 or some other milestone but at the level i'm at they are all just arbitrary times. If i finish it will be a PB and a massive achievement. Just to have survived the training is a massive achievement if you ask me :D. I actually can't believe now as i sit here that I've done runs up to and including 20 miles and did them on my own and not always in favourable conditions either. We are all superstars already :)

Could not agree more Ariana :D that is how I feel as well it will be a pb for me as well I fully expect to ball like a baby when I cross the finish line

Its amazing what we all have achieved so far and will go on to achieve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Do people actually cry at the finish? and not from the pain?
    I have often thought I might and then think I hope I don't or I'd be morto?
    So is it acceptable/normal?
    I hope I don't cry at the start too!!

Also is anyone else having trouble with their pace band.
    I have small wrists and bad eyesight! I don't wear my glasses running.
    To get the detail I want on there big enough to see is proving very difficult.
    Its just about readable now standing in the kitchen so zero chance on the move and after 20 miles.
    I think it might be a sleeve by the time I'm finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Might be an idea for people to post what time they plan on going out in, ill be in Wave 3 with the 4hr pacers if anyone would like to meet up and run alongside! I know a few are doing it for the 4:40 pacers too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Somewhere behind the 5 hour pacers for me. I don't expect to be completed in just over 5 hours, but they're the last pacer, so less chance of me getting in the way of faster runners. Behind them and it's anyone's guess who'll be faster and who'll be slower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

henrietta wrote: »
    Do people actually cry at the finish? and not from the pain?
    I have often thought I might and then think I hope I don't or I'd be morto?
    So is it acceptable/normal?
    I hope I don't cry at the start too!!

Also is anyone else having trouble with their pace band.
    I have small wrists and bad eyesight! I don't wear my glasses running.
    To get the detail I want on there big enough to see is proving very difficult.
    Its just about readable now standing in the kitchen so zero chance on the move and after 20 miles.
    I think it might be a sleeve by the time I'm finished!

I cried at the end of my first Marathon which was also Dublin in 2014. Just crossed the finish line and put my head on a barrier and started bawling! One of the stewards came over to me to ask me to move along and when he saw the state of me he just backed away slowly saying nothing. He must have thought i was a nutter! I'm male btw and I was 36 at the time.
    In fairness I had a rough couple of years before that and I had run the Marathon for a charity associated with a condition my son has so it was an emotional day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Baby75 wrote: »

I had the pleasure of meeting youganne at the 3/4 :D if your on a bike how will we know for sure its you LOL just so I can say hello :)

The cheek of AMK! am perfectly sane and sedate while supporting!!! (okay, maybe not....). Also Mrs Mac will be out on her bike too as will others. If you're running in the 4.40 group Anne will no doubt point us all out along the way otherwise you can just wonder who everyone is as you pass them by and it'll take your mind of things :p

Hope to see you all in McGrattans afterwards and I can not wait to read all the race reports!!!

AMK have you given them all instructions on how to do their pre race tans.......? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Might be an idea for people to post what time they plan on going out in, ill be in Wave 3 with the 4hr pacers if anyone would like to meet up and run alongside! I know a few are doing it for the 4:40 pacers too

I’m in wave 3 too but i’m going to stay at the back and hopefully stick with the 4.20 pacers. I think they’re at the start of wave 4
    Anyone else thinking of 4.20?

Loved your post Smashiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Enjoy it you lucky Novices. Had managed to keep myself away from this thread this year but got sucked back into checking it this past week or two :rolleyes:.

Spotted someone off for a jog last night (in Edinburgh) wearing a DCM jacket ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yevon wrote: »
    I awoke this morning feeling miraculously about 60% better than Tuesday. Went to the physio early this morning who gave me the go ahead to give it a go on Sunday. Be sensible and if the pain gets very bad, stop.

It's not ideal but if you offered me that prognosis yesterday I'd have taken your hand off!

Buzzing for it now and all thoughts of times and how happy i'd be with certain times have faded. I'm going to be running in the Dublin City Marathon!! :D

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yevon wrote: »
    I awoke this morning feeling miraculously about 60% better than Tuesday. Went to the physio early this morning who gave me the go ahead to give it a go on Sunday. Be sensible and if the pain gets very bad, stop.

It's not ideal but if you offered me that prognosis yesterday I'd have taken your hand off!

Buzzing for it now and all thoughts of times and how happy i'd be with certain times have faded. I'm going to be running in the Dublin City Marathon!! :D

You certainly are! Fair play, delighted for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Also pacing:

Pacing Mule of this parish is also pacing, I think the 4.40 group as well but am open to correction on that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I'm just looking at the elevation profile for the first time on Strava , the first half of this marathon is certainly harder than the second in fact the first 11-12km looks very tough , I'm guessing we won't notice that as we will have a lot of adrenaline and fresh legs. More climbing from 20-22/23km then it looks very attack-able. Looking at Strava splits its becoming clear why people struggle , hitting that first 12km too fast.

I'm thinking back to the excellent link WW posted , if the first 10km is your fastest forget about it your not hitting your potential. I'm going to have to find an appropriate pacing strategy but marathon pace for the first half 12km I think will be too fast .I'm thinking get to 24km fresh and you'll be in great shape to start picking the pace up its a very favourable elevation chart from there (apart from a couple of km around 33km).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Is anyone going out for their last small run tomorrow? My plan had it down for 2 miles today but decided that 2 days off my feet wasnt for me...gonna go out tomorrow evening, taking it nice and slow of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Just finished my last run! 100.44% of planned training miles finished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

choons wrote: »

Well done - what’s your target?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

choons wrote: »

Your planning was meticulous in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Well done - what’s your target?

3:30 based on the Dublin half of 1:38! We shall see what happens :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

If I loose the 3"40 pacers?especially early,do I try to catch them? Hardly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Last run done as per physio's instructions, a quick 4km.

C'mon Sunday! I'm ready for you!!!*

* at least as much as I'll ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

If you lose the pacers early do not panic and try and push things it has the potential to come back and haunt you later. There will be plenty of miles to reel them back in slowly if you are feeling good. At the start of the marathon it is important to get into a rhythm and pace that you are comfortable with; as has been said before the first 7 miles or so are a bit of a drag and going out even 5-10 seconds ahead of goal pace could cost you once you get to the business end of things.

No matter what time you are aiming for the first couple of miles are going to be chaotic and there will be some bottle necks so don't panic and try and push too much or do too much weaving in and out or jumping up on footpaths (image how p*seed off you would be doing something stupid here and it was game over).

Absolutely no harm in the first couple of miles being your slowest on the day!

C

Spirogyra wrote: »
    If I loose the 3"40 pacers?especially early,do I try to catch them? Hardly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant news
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Last run done as per physio's instructions, a quick 4km.

C'mon Sunday! I'm ready for you!!!*

* at least as much as I'll ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Last (half) day in work today so nerves have really kicked in this morning

Advertisement