Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday today. $hit is it really Friday - so its 1 more sleep to 1 more sleep.

4 key things today.

(1) Today is a good day to eat well and often - with no fear of being too bloated tomorrow.

(2) Get a good nights sleep tonight as Saturdays sleep could be 'nerve impacted'.

(3) Keep off your feet as much as possible in the next 2 days. Conserve, conserve, conserve. By all means run a couple of slow miles, but go easy at the expo and dont do any mad shopping sprees to Ikea :)

(4) Get your gear ready today and do an inventory of gels etc - no point feeling caught short on Sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Last (half) day in work today so nerves have really kicked in this morning
    I have no time booked off but i have physio at 1.30 so i'm tempted to skip off after that if the boss will allow, seeing as how he's also running this weekend i think he might :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Friday today. $hit is it really Friday - so its 1 more sleep to 1 more sleep.

4 key things today.

(1) Today is a good day to eat well and often - with no fear of being too bloated tomorrow.

(2) Get a good nights sleep tonight as Saturdays sleep could be 'nerve impacted'.

(3) Keep off your feet as much as possible in the next 2 days. Conserve, conserve, conserve. By all means run a couple of slow miles, but go easy at the expo and dont do any mad shopping sprees to Ikea :)

(4) Get your gear ready today and do an inventory of gels etc - no point feeling caught short on Sat night.

I got a good start on the feeding yesterday and it's definitely made it crystal clear not to overeat tomorrow....if the marathon was on today I'd only be capable of rolling my way around. Bloated doesn't come close to describing it :pac::pac:

PS. Further to an earlier comment....when do you do your pre race tan? :D

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Last (half) day in work today so nerves have really kicked in this morning

I'm off myself too, it gives the head too much time to think. It really makes it feel more like the Final Countdown :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Heading to the Expo at lunchtime. I'll try and be in and out fairly quick. Shopping isn't one of my strengths, even when heading to buy things I want or (think I) need!

• Advertisement

The cheek of AMK!

AMK have you given them all instructions on how to do their pre race tans.......? :D:D:D
    skyblue46 wrote: »

PS. Further to an earlier comment....when do you do your pre race tan? :D

The tan only goes on after the waxing and buffing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to interrupt the very important tanning info :D

but does anyone have a link to where you enter your wave and your target time and you can print a map showing where you are expected to be at certain times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I got a good start on the feeding yesterday and it's definitely made it crystal clear not to overeat tomorrow....if the marathon was on today I'd only be capable of rolling my way around. Bloated doesn't come close to describing it :pac::pac:

Haha , what are you eating?! Haven't eaten much solid foods in last 4 days a couple of smoothies some soup other than that just liquids (i'll be well hydrated if nothing else) . Need to eat today , need to bloat myself up think i'll order everything in the local takeaway later.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt the very important tanning info :D

but does anyone have a link to where you enter your wave and your target time and you can print a map showing where you are expected to be at certain times?

Hi Ariana, this is the 2016 novices sheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZeY0_GQOn9afyfuIYEqMjEgFnAJrbMDeCqFvy_V-V0Q/edit?usp=sharing

Have a look at the Supporters Time Guide tab. Just enter your target pace in B2

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Probably not the best week to be away with work, not getting home till after midnight tonight then expo and kiddie responsibilities all day Saturday.

Got a 6 miler in on Monday and 5 miles on the treadmill on Wednesday. No worries on the eating front given every time you turn around at this conference there is someone offering you grub. Sadly the dinners have been accompanied by more wine than I should have really taken. Still, what's done is done. Haven't had time to get nervous yet but they will probably kick in tomorrow. Can't wait to get going Sunday now.

Just the expo now (where I assume I'll be able to buy my gels) then off we trot

Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement

Haha , what are you eating?! Haven't eaten much solid foods in last 4 days a couple of smoothies some soup other than that just liquids (i'll be well hydrated if nothing else) . Need to eat today , need to bloat myself up think i'll order everything in the local takeaway later.

Pasta, sweet potatoes, yoghurts, granola, bananas, quinoa, sports drinks, bagels, honey, porridge....565g of carbs yesterday! It's my own version of OCD!! :pac:

** Remember to bring your TICKET and ID to the Expo. **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Pasta, sweet potatoes, yoghurts, granola, bananas, quinoa, sports drinks, bagels, honey, porridge....565g of carbs yesterday! It's my own version of OCD!! :pac:

That's impressive ! So you weigh you food first brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is anyone going out for their last small run tomorrow? My plan had it down for 2 miles today but decided that 2 days off my feet wasnt for me...gonna go out tomorrow evening, taking it nice and slow of course!
    Going for one Saturday, 20 minutes to keep loose.

Although I did cycle in today (60km round trip) and will be in the pool during lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Crazy that 18 weeks of training came to an end yesterday. On the phone to one of the lads and I was telling him it's my last training run, that's when it sunk in about Sunday.

Just a nice and easy LSR with a few people on Sunday, no biggie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How mad will it be collecting your race pack at 5:45 today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

henrietta wrote: »
    Do people actually cry at the finish? and not from the pain?
    I have often thought I might and then think I hope I don't or I'd be morto?
    So is it acceptable/normal?
    I hope I don't cry at the start too!!

On a couple of occasions I was close to tears at the end of a marathon myself but I'll never forget the finish a few years ago as one of the 3:30 pacers.

At the finish a big bloke who had been running with our group all the way came up to us with tears in his eyes, unable to speak with all the emotions, and gave us all a massive big bear hug! Lovely, even if the hug hurt at the time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

ted1 wrote: »
    How mad will it be collecting your race pack at 5:45 today ?

Mad Ted

Busy enough at the Expo this lunchtime, loads of people milling around. Apart from stopping to chat to various people who I bumped into by chance (including Sheep1978 on my way out) the actual number and bag collection was very quick. Didn't bother with any of the other bumph, but on the train heading back, there was a lady with the whole bag full of stuff. The smiles on the stallholders' faces when they saw her coming :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dropping down a wave on the day okay yeah? Was going to run with 3:30 pacer initially but have decided to start out with the 3:50 bunch and see how we go from there.

Did 1:40 in the half so might be going conservative, but I'd rather start slowish and push on if feeling good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

OOOH it's all getting so exciting now and soooo scary!!

I remember covering what to eat coming up to a big event in college so took out my notes today I say loads probably know this already but for those of us that do not, I will share :) it may help make sure all the proper fuel is consumed before the big day eeeek!!!

Carbohydrates before exercise

4 - 24 hours before event

aim to eat 60 to 70% of carbohydrates in each meal and snack ( it should be the majority of each meal and snack)

0-4 hours before:
    • Aim to consume food & drinks that can be
    easily digested
    • Avoid going into a training session/event
    hungry
    • Aim for 1-4g/kg or 0.45-1.81g/lb of CHO

protien before exercise

don't overlook protein before exercise
    Pre-exercise nutrition has several benefits:
    - increases muscle synthesis
    - decreases muscle protein breakdown
    - gradual delivery of nutrients
    - delays onset of hunger

4-24 hours before:
    • Similar to general protein requirements
    Group Elite endurance athletes Protein intake (1.6 g/kg/day) Protein intake (0.72g/lb/day

1-4 hours before:
    ➢ 50g – 110g (2-4 oz)
    ➢ This should be broken down into 2-3 portions
    ➢ Need to find balance between pre-exercise PRO & CHO
    ➢ Avoid protein sources high in fat – take longer to digest

if anyone would like a copy of the entire document let me know and I can email it to you it also gives examples of meals and snacks to help get ideas on what to eat.

hope that helps anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The Muppet wrote: »
    Pacing Mule of this parish is also pacing, I think the 4.40 group as well but am open to correction on that .

I am indeed still on 4:40. Not sure if I'm still in the parish :D

Amirani wrote: »
    Dropping down a wave on the day okay yeah? Was going to run with 3:30 pacer initially but have decided to start out with the 3:50 bunch and see how we go from there.

Did 1:40 in the half so might be going conservative, but I'd rather start slowish and push on if feeling good.

100%. It's going up a wave that the organisers don't like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wow, the Expo was tiring! Huge queue at 11.55am, but quick in once there, and a decent turnaround in getting the number and bag, and then had a quick look around with BrownEyes. Picked up some gels, but otherwise didn't buy. The tiring bit was the drive home. Ready to sleep until Sunday now!! So glad I did it today and not waited until tomorrow. At least I have zero commitments for tomorrow now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Photo archive is worth a look. Bought an official top. Home time. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So, I'm parking in St. Stephen's Green using their DCM special offer. Just checking how to get there now, and I have to go down Cuffe Street, left at Stephen's Green, and left again at York Street. Cuffe Street is part of the marathon route, but the site says it's only closed off from 8.30am, and I plan to be parked by 8am (latest, in truth, it could easily be an hour earlier knowing my tendencies). Is there anything I've missed about the route in that would hinder me getting to the car park? I don't want to be stressing myself out trying to get there.

quickbeam wrote: »
    So, I'm parking in St. Stephen's Green using their DCM special offer. Just checking how to get there now, and I have to go down Cuffe Street, left at Stephen's Green, and left again at York Street. Cuffe Street is part of the marathon route, but the site says it's only closed off from 8.30am, and I plan to be parked by 8am (latest, in truth, it could easily be an hour earlier knowing my tendencies). Is there anything I've missed about the route in that would hinder me getting to the car park? I don't want to be stressing myself out trying to get there.

There are a few sets of traffic lights along the way. Allow 30 seconds per set on average to allow for reds, greens and ambers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

I am indeed still on 4:40. Not sure if I'm still in the parish :D

not sure if u can do 4:40 either

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    3012| skyblue46 | 03:54:59 |
    xxx | quickbeam | 05:59:59 |
    xxx | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    xxx| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    xxx | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    xxx | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    xxx| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    xxx|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    xxx | clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    xxx| stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    xxx| RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    xxx| BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    xxx|statina| 04:55:59|
    xxx|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    xxx|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    xxx|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    xxx|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    xxx|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    xxx|conti| 03:19:59|
    xxx|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    xxx|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    xxx|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    xxx|dos29| 03:40:00|
    xxx|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    xxx|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    xxx|choons| 03:29:59|
    xxx|Halloween Jack| 03:59:59

Don't forget to fill in your race number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

not sure if u can do 4:40 either

Hahaha. I blame the management. :D

Advertisement