Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Morning all. Last 2 miles done this morning here too so it's all over. Went to expo yesterday evening and glad now as it's almost 5 hr round trip driving and was tired enough after it.
    Only have access to phone at home so can't see how to quote other posts.
    Would somebody please be kind enough to update the list with my bib number?
    Thanks😉

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Wish, I'd discovered something like this in 2014 when I ran. I'm all nostalgic now and looking back at my run keeper. I was flying up to half marathon and thinking of a 3.30 marathon. In hindsight I struggled once the long runs went over 15, running too fast I think was the biggest issue. Had a nightmare with the last long run and set out aiming for 3.50 on marathon day. My pace chart is the perfect example of how you can get a bit carried away chasing it in the first half and suffer in the last 5 miles. I was patient for the first mile or two the got a bit panicked about being behind my goal pace and spent a lot of time running in the wind and trying to get back on track. I hit my half way goal exactly on schedule, having claws back the time and was feeling amazing, loved the stretch from Walkinstown to the 20mile mark, lost in knowing that part of the course so well, high fiving all and thinking it was easy. Was running far too fast and so distracted I forgot to take a gel and it all suddenly hit me once I got to Milltown and the legs just went dead. Most of the last five miles was a mantra of don't walk, don't walk, don't walk, and I was so proud that I doesn't. Realised in the last k I was going to be very close to 4 hours and tried so hard to pick up the pace, started to cramp in both calves, finish in sight, just get there, who cares about the time!! Over the line, joy, 4.00.28. I'll always have that unfinished business if I never do another one but the satisfaction and joy at the finish was still immense, definitely shed a few tears.

Anyway I'll be out supporting tomorrow, I'll be just after walkinstown, I'll have jellies and chocolate, probably be sitting in my bike and shouting that it's all down hill from here!!!

Good luck, it's an amazing feeling and still one of my proudest accomplishments in life. The atmosphere is incredible, just try not to chase time in the first half or get distracted because you feel so amazing 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ok this time tomorrow I should be 30km in to it.

Was down with the kids at their GAA this morning and it’s fairly Baltic. What’s everyone wearing?

Shorts and long sleeve top, nipple plasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I don't think I will make it in tomorrow but make sure to enjoy the post marathon pints they will taste like Amber nectar and be well deserved!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Last little 2m jog done...the journey just has one step left! Thanks Craig, that's a brilliant post. The part about looking back on how far we have come is probably something lots of us have neglected to do as we focus forward on the marathon itself.

I'll give ya a shout if I see you...will you be in McGrattans afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ted1 wrote: »

Was down with the kids at their GAA this morning and it’s fairly Baltic. What’s everyone wearing?

Shorts and singlet....hoping that I warm up as I go along! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Catherina McKiernan lead woman at Malahide park run this morning and second overall. Very impressive!

I don't think I will make it in tomorrow but make sure to enjoy the post marathon pints they will taste like Amber nectar and be well deserved!

Ah that's a pity. I was hoping to get the chance to thank you personally for the advice and most of all the support you have given on my/ our journey. It really has been heartwarming to see the backing that people can give to a bunch of random online strangers. Thanks again.

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | Actual Time
    3012| skyblue46 | 03:54:59 |
    xxx | quickbeam | 05:59:59 |
    xxx | candamir | 03:59:59 |
    xxx| kellygirl | 04:29:59 |
    xxx | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 |
    13388 | Positron | 04:29:59 |
    6501| Lazare | 03:58:xx |
    xxx|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    2629| clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 |
    17532| stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx |
    14189| RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx |
    xxx| Yevon | 04:09:59 |
    14503| BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx |
    xxx|statina| 04:55:59|
    xxx|ariana| 04:39:xx|
    xxx|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00|
    19946|henrietta| 04:35:00|
    1073|Sheep1978| 03:29:59|
    xxx|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    xxx|conti| 03:19:59|
    xxx|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    xxx|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|
    xxx|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    xxx|dos29| 03:40:00|
    13386|Omeceron| 04:29:59|
    xxx|nedsgarden| 04:40:00|
    xxx|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    8263|choons| 03:29:59|
    xxx|Halloween Jack| 03:59:59|
    xxx|muddypaws| 05:59:59|
    xxx|ted1| 04:29:58|
    xxx|Amirani| 03:44:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ted1 wrote: »

Shorts, t shirt, under armour shorts to stop chafing down there and two plasters across each nipple!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Can someone update the table with my bib no- 19822. Thanks

Rearing to go, will be three quarters through it tomorrow at this stage (hopefully!). Hoping the calf muscle behaves itself but if it doesnt, feck it, Im determined not to let it take from the day. Going to soak in the atmosphere and the support. Like anything in life, the first time is always the most special!!

Its been so wonderful been part of this thread. Looking back at my posts shows how far I have come- to think an 8 mile in June felt like climbing Mount Everest!! Thank you to all the posters for your invaluable advise, you dont know how much it is appreciated. Special thank you to Wubble Wubble who answered all my ridiculous questions so nicely and for the great words of wisdom.

Will be in the 4.40 pacers group so shout if you see me :-)

Best of luck to everyone, hope you all reach your goals and have a fantastic day regardless. Hope to see ye in McGrattans after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Just a quick one to say best of luck to everyone tomorrow. It's been said plenty of times already, but you'll never run your first marathon again so ENJOY IT!

These are probably already on the check-lists:

Today:
    • Charge your watch today. Not overnight. Today. You want that watch on your wrist when you wake up tomorrow
    • Bag packed today.
    • Number pinned to top. It HAS to be exactly straight. Not straight? Unpin and try again. Only way to know for sure is to try the top on.
    • Tailwind in straws TODAY (this is for me).
    • Straws in Flipbelt TODAY (again, for me). (Or gels etc.)
    • Kit laid out.
    • Bodyglide/Vaseline etc. out and visible for the morning
    • Tick everything off your list as you get it ready. You have a list right?
    • Have a protein drink for after? Leaving in the fridge overnight? DO NOT tick off the list until you put it in your kit bag.

Tomorrow:
    • Test that you can get a GPS connection as soon as you get into town. Test again in the pen 15 minutes before the start. Do no wait until a minute before the race.
    • As you cross the start line, smile and have a little think about what you've achieved.
    • As you come to a complete standstill 250m later at the turn onto Leeson St, smile again, think again how great it is to be "running" a marathon. DO NOT swerve onto paths to overtake anyone, just take your time and ease into the race.
    • Enjoy it. Don't worry too much about time, just enjoy the whole experience.

19822|statina| 04:55:59|
    xxx|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Went out for a 15 min run , coughing the whole time, legs felt really heavy and not much energy in them at all. Finished with last 100m or so at PMP it felt like a sprint , tomorrow should be interesting if nothing else.
    Good luck all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So excited for you all. Will be there, cheering you all on. You are all winners no matter what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck to everyone tomorrow , I'm a novice supporter so I'm not sure where I'll be but I will be somewhere on the course supporting you all.

ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck tomorrow novices. I've enjoyed this thread and I hope ye all have a great day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck everyone. Well done on all the hard work over the past few months. It's a lot easier to sit on the couch so give yourselves a lot of credit. Remember to run your own race.

Have a great run. Well done too to Wubble and all the other experienced mentors. Great job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Apparently the weather is to be lovely and clear, so hope every one has a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Just popping by to wish you all bundles of luck for tomorrow. When you're standing at that start line, just remember how lucky you are to be there. So many people are not so fortunate to be fit and healthy enough to be able to get to where you are. Take a few moments to appreciate that.
    If the going gets tough at any point, it might help you to repeat some positive words and phrases to yourself like 'I am powerful' 'I am strong' 'I am healthy'. Remind yourself to 'relax'. Don't let any negativity creep in.

DCM is such a special marathon, you're in for the experience of your lives. Just one piece of advice, and that is to not be afraid to adjust your goals on the run. If your planned marathon pace feels too much then try to back off a bit and run by feel at what feels comfortable for a while. Don't obsess with the watch and pace band etc. You'll be able to make up time later in the race if you start feeling better.

To Wubble Wubble and to AMK your very glamorous assistant, well done on the stellar work over the last few months! Another very successful thread this year. It's been fun to follow!

Have an absolute blast tomorrow, all :D

ultrawoman wrote: »
    Just popping by to wish you all bundles of luck for tomorrow. When you're standing at that start line, just remember how lucky you are to be there. So many people are not so fortunate to be fit and healthy enough to be able to get to where you are. Take a few moments to appreciate that.
    If the going gets tough at any point, it might help you to repeat some positive words and phrases to yourself like 'I am powerful' 'I am strong' 'I am healthy'. Remind yourself to 'relax'. Don't let any negativity creep in.

DCM is such a special marathon, you're in for the experience of your lives. Just one piece of advice, and that is to not be afraid to adjust your goals on the run. If your planned marathon pace feels too much then try to back off a bit and run by feel at what feels comfortable for a while. Don't obsess with the watch and pace band etc. You'll be able to make up time later in the race if you start feeling better.

To Wubble Wubble and to AMK your very glamorous assistant, well done on the stellar work over the last few months! Another very successful thread this year. It's been fun to follow!

Have an absolute blast tomorrow, all :D

Thanks for your kind words.

We all seem very quiet today. I'll put it down to particularly meticulous planning and bag packing. Of course our country brethren are probably en route to the big smoke as well :D I'm sure it will be busier here tonight and at 5.30am :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hello Novices,

It’s been a pleasure to read this thread over the last number of months. From ups and downs, niggles, laughs and pains shared in the thread, solid training to general all around novicing. :D

Whether your plan is for tomorrow is somewhere north of 3 hours or 5, enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere. As the sign says, if you hurry, you can still make mass. Chat to your pacer, smile and have fun. Crossing the finish line is something special. :)

Remember, it’s only a marathon. Not shopping on Christmas eve. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Just in case it gets lost in the excitement tomorrow, I want to say thanks to Wubble and everyone else who chipped it. I don't want to start mentioning names as I'll invariably miss a few, but everyone who's posted has been great.

Cheers and good luck to all the novices as well as the novice-helpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Up in the big schmoke now!!

Nice and quick through the expo.

My number is 4801

Best of luck to everyone.

19822|statina| 04:55:59|
    4801|Podgec10| 03:19:xx|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Best of luck to all the novices tomorrow, I know you will do us proud. There will only ever be one first marathon in your life, and this one is it. Savour it, and when it gets tough keep going because the moment you cross the finishing line will be a high you will never forget.

And 6 or 7 months from now one of you will be asked to mentor a new group, and you will he looked upon as one who knows their stuff and has done it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, and thank you so so much to WW, AMK, Craig, Singer and all the other experienced people who gave their time and valuable advice.

Thanks also to my novice comrades, learned so much in this thread the last few months from all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Best of luck to all the novices tomorrow, I know you will do us proud. There will only ever be one first marathon in your life, and this one is it. Savour it, and when it gets tough keep going because the moment you cross the finishing line will be a high you will never forget.

And 6 or 7 months from now one of you will be asked to mentor a new group, and you will he looked upon as one who knows their stuff and has done it all. :)

Dave Brady was at our parkrun this morning. I got a great pic with him, me holding up one finger and him holding up 7. Gave me some great advice. Pointed at his watch and said 'see that, forget about that, go and enjoy yourself'

You were right, he's an absolute gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

DCM Training. Week 17 of 17

My OCD won't let me rest until I post my final training report.

i don't think I experienced full taper madness. Overall I think I was very lucky to reach the last week of training injury free.

Monday - 2m easy. grand little jog at a very easy pace. Did a good bit of stretching afterwards.
    Tuesday - 5m board session. Felt good to open up the legs again after all the easy runs.
    Wednesday - rest. You know that foam roller I bought in week 2 and swore to use regularly and gathered dust in a corner unloved. Finally used it!
    Thursday - 3m easy morning jog.
    Friday - rest. Went to the expo to pick the number. I had a peek around and picked up a few bits and bobs.
    Saturday - a bit of a lie in and then an easy 2m run and that's it. Chilling on the couch for the set of the Day.

I would also like to thank Wubble, Scot, AMK and all the other contributors. Really appreciate the amount of time you guys dedicate to give us advice and help us to get to the starting line.

Now......let's just do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow who have followed this thread - fellow novices, wubble wubble, other mentors, pacers and stalkers alike!!!! We've got this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good luck to all tomorrow. I'm looking forward to following all of you on the tracker. I'll be down around Castleknock as you reach the highest point of the course but not for too long.

Don't worry about the alarm and just enjoy the nights sleep. You will wake well before the alarm goes off anyway and then notice you've another hour to spare.

Advertisement