Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Due to start my own 20 week programme tonight with a 3m slow run. Very worried about a problem I may have with my knee so the plan may be dead in the water before I get going. Will know more after the next night or two I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm still lurking getting motivation from this thread - doing my 20km+ across the week to get myself ready for 26th June start on HH plan.
    I'm very slow in comparison with the other athletes on this thread so would be delighted to hear also from others whose aim is just to get across the finish line in one piece.

I've completed various 10kms and 1 half marathon in the past so hopefully i can build on this to go the extra distance to achieve my dream of finishing the marathon.

Would be interested to hear where others are fitting in any strength exercises in their plan?
    Also if someone has any recommended links for foam rolling - I'm new to it - and understand I will need to get acquainted with the concept!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

3 easy 5k/3m runs last week and a 10km race (54:12). Happy to get 4 runs in and I'm really starting to enjoy the easy pace, i feel like i could run 6 days a week at that kind of pace (maybe i'm running a bit too easy :confused:). The 10k race was tough but it's done now. No LSR :(

25km/15.5 miles for the week and 1 yoga class.

This week the plan is 3 * 5k/3m (2 easy & 1 tempo) and an LSR of 16km (i did 14 km 2 weeks ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm still lurking getting motivation from this thread - doing my 20km+ across the week to get myself ready for 26th June start on HH plan.
    I'm very slow in comparison with the other athletes on this thread so would be delighted to hear also from others whose aim is just to get across the finish line in one piece.

I've completed various 10kms and 1 half marathon in the past so hopefully i can build on this to go the extra distance to achieve my dream of finishing the marathon.

Would be interested to hear where others are fitting in any strength exercises in their plan?
    Also if someone has any recommended links for foam rolling - I'm new to it - and understand I will need to get acquainted with the concept!
    This is a link for 'Foam Rolling' albeit with Plantar Fasciatis in mind, it's helped me a lot https://dailyhealthpost.com/stretching-technique-relieves-plantar-fasciitis-shin-splints-achilles-pain-and-heel-pain/
    I did a 'Strengthening' class this morning, most people don't run on a Monday :) Hope it will help with my (hitherto weak) core :) It's also an option on Wednesday or Friday, but aim to do at least one per week, on non-running days.

So this week Monday-strengthening-Tuesday Intervals, Wednesday- strength-Thursday-intervals-, Friday 2-3 miles, sunday 12 miles lsr :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    3 easy 5k/3m runs last week and a 10km race (54:12). Happy to get 4 runs in and I'm really starting to enjoy the easy pace, i feel like i could run 6 days a week at that kind of pace (maybe i'm running a bit too easy :confused:). The 10k race was tough but it's done now. No LSR :(

25km/15.5 miles for the week and 1 yoga class.

This week the plan is 3 * 5k/3m (2 easy & 1 tempo) and an LSR of 16km (i did 14 km 2 weeks ago).

Its great to see the regular posters.

This forum has 21,250 views so far!! - But only a smattering of regular posters.

Dont be afraid - ask the questions that you think are silly / post your training / look for support.

Anyway - about this post :)

Congrats on the 10k race - it gives you a great information at the very start of a training program.

Based on a 10k race time of 54.12 and using a simple online calculator we can say:

10k pace=8.43/mile (I'm old, I work in miles :) )
    With proper training, this time indicates a marathon of 4hrs 14 mins.

Marathon pace= 9.42/mile (to hit 4.14)

For a Half Marathon, you should be able to do 2 hours on the nose. (9.13/mile)

For your tempo run this week - these should be done at 9 min/mile (the pace you can hold for a 10mile race).

So, this is your benchmark - as you progress you can see how you have improved.
    As you get faster and used to the more regular and longer runs, your 10k time will drop and your potential Marathon finish time will also drop.

And as for your comment about easy runs - they can never be too easy. Easy is good. Keep the easy days easy and the hard days hard.

• Advertisement

So, rule number 1 - don't compare yourself to other runners - theres always someone faster and slower. Always :)

If I could go back to my 1st Marathon, the advice I would give myself (& I reckon 99% of experienced marathon runners would do the same) is to NOT run for time but run to finish it, savour the experience and enjoy it.

I enjoyed about 15 miles of my 1st marathon and the following 11.2 miles were not enjoyable :rolleyes:
    For the Dublin Marathon, the crowds are fantastic and really spur you on - I think its a marathon to run and enjoy.
    There's plenty more time to do marathons again for a time.

As you have done various 10k's and a HM - you may feel like you do not have the speed of others (which I doubt) , but you can rest assured that you have more endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Its great to see the regular posters.

This forum has 21,250 views so far!! - But only a smattering of regular posters.

Dont be afraid - ask the questions that you think are silly / post your training / look for support.

Anyway - about this post :)

Congrats on the 10k race - it gives you a great information at the very start of a training program.

Based on a 10k race time of 54.12 and using a simple online calculator we can say:

10k pace=8.43/mile (I'm old, I work in miles :) )
    With proper training, this time indicates a marathon of 4hrs 14 mins.

Marathon pace= 9.42/mile (to hit 4.14)

For a Half Marathon, you should be able to do 2 hours on the nose. (9.13/mile)

For your tempo run this week - these should be done at 9 min/mile (the pace you can hold for a 10mile race).

So, this is your benchmark - as you progress you can see how you have improved.
    As you get faster and used to the more regular and longer runs, your 10k time will drop and your potential Marathon finish time will also drop.

And as for your comment about easy runs - they can never be too easy. Easy is good. Keep the easy days easy and the hard days hard.

Thanks a million, this is really useful information, it's hard as a novice to know what sort of times to aim for in training runs but this gives me a really great starting point :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks a million, this is really useful information, it's hard as a novice to know what sort of times to aim for in training runs but this gives me a really great starting point :)

I use this calculator : https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Put in a goal time and a current race and it'll spew out a lot of info.
    No need to put in your email address, even though it asks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

So T-2 to the start of the official plans for DCM17 hopefully you are all fairly set on which plan to follow there will of course be some tweaking involved when other commitments get in the way ( I recall a 20 mile LSR on a Thursday after work before going away for a weekend!)

I know lots of you are base building so don't be afraid to share your weekly updates on here with others as you are all going through the same experiences it will be good learning for everyone especially as the weekly miles build up.

If any of your are doing the 5 mile on Saturday don't be afraid to give it a good lash.

I am :) a friend sent me the pacing and I am tempted to run in between the 10 and 9 minute mile and just see how I do! its the first time I am running a race like this Have done a good few 5km really do not want to go out way to fast and struggle at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

Finished out the week with a 10 k run in a PB of 57:41 yesterday :D The plan I'm following for the Clontarf half called for a 10 k race but I just decided to go out by myself and try to push it. Found it hard to keep the same pace over the whole 10 k (especially when running into that wind yesterday) but delighted with the result at the end! Excited to try out a proper 10 k race now.
    Looking forward to the week ahead, where I have planned 5 miles easy Tues, 8 miles pace Wed, 5 miles easy Thurs, 5 miles pace Sat and 11 miles easy Sun. Will be glad when I get to next Sunday afternoon and I am resting with my feet up, as this is the highest mileage week before the Marathon plan itself kicks in. Hopefully it will stand to me in the weeks to come.
    Best of luck to everyone taking part in the Irish Runner 5 mile this Sat. Would love to be racing it myself but it's also my Mum's Birthday so I'll be heading home this weekend instead. Hope it goes well for everyone, the most important thing is to enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I use this calculator : https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Put in a goal time and a current race and it'll spew out a lot of info.
    No need to put in your email address, even though it asks for it.

Love this, thanks for putting up the link!

Hit personal milestone of hitting over 10km at weekend. Fairly decided I'll pick the HH model, with tweaks for weddings etc. Getting nervous starting it proper now but looking forward to the challenge that it is

Well done, I ran my first 11Km delighted with myself good luck starting the training!! feeling a little nervous myself but excited as well :)
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Due to start my own 20 week programme tonight with a 3m slow run. Very worried about a problem I may have with my knee so the plan may be dead in the water before I get going. Will know more after the next night or two I guess.
    Good luck, go get it checked out and get it sorted I hope its easy fixable
    I am going to fit it in on an easy run day or maybe rest day, I go to bootcamp so I normally aim to have my run before hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

All was going well early this week, I got a tempo run in on Tuesday with easy runs Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. However, on Thursday my right hamstring was quite sore so I had to cut the run short. I've never had pain there before and it came out of nowhere, so I was a bit confused. It didn't feel much better on Friday, but that's my rest day anyway so I was happy to take a rest. It felt a bit better on Saturday but I decided against trying it out, so I took another day off. A bit better again this morning so I went out to see how I got on. Managed to get 8k in but it was relatively slow. The hamstring wasn't as bad as Thursday and there wasn't much pain after the first k or so, but I'm still not 100% happy. I'm sure it'll be grand come tomorrow or Tuesday, and maybe an enforced week of lower mileage isn't the worst thing to happen.

Through not really knowing what to do in order to recover, I ended up doing a half and half mixture of foam rolling and stretching it. I can never get over how many differing opinions you can find on the internet over something that should be standard enough! Some places say never stretch a sore hamstring and that some light foam rolling should be all you do, while others say never foam roll it and just stretch it. I understand that a physio should be where you go for injuries, but I don't want to go to the physio and waste everyone's time for every little niggle.

Finally, I think I've decided on the meno plan. I still haven't had a chance to have a proper look at it and see where I may have problems with the intensity/mileage, but I should be able to complete most of it (though I may just do 20 miles instead of the 22 miles, although at the same time doing a bit more than 20 would be good for the confidence - we'll see how I get on). I plan to run 6 days a week with that plan, with Friday being a day off, but I may drop Tuesday every so often depending on how I feel that week after the long run and the day before the session.

I've similar emotions about this. I bought a foam roller around the time of DCM 2016, having never had one before, and although it can be really sore it's worth it for the legs. Keep an eye on it anyway, as you may have to call a physio if it doesn't improve.

Best of luck with the meno plan. You seem to have a fair handle on things overall. Keep us posted :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Yes, have been running on and off for a couple of years. Did the DCM last year and it was my first marathon. Loved it, so am back for more punishment! :)
    5k: 21m
    10k: 48m
    Half: 1h 52m
    Marathon: 4h 17m

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do):
    No

How much training do you currently do ? At the moment, no set training plan. I'd go out for a 5/10k once every 2 weeks or so, just to keep general fitness up. The last run I did was Wexford half marathon in April

How many days a week can you train? I should be able to train 4 days a week.

And what plan do you intend to follow? Last year I followed the Hal Higdon plamn via this boards thread - this year, will follow the Boards plan

Why are you running this marathon? For the most part, I enjoyed the training last year, I did it on my own - my brother may be doing this year with me so that would be great. The atmosphere on the day of the races is amazing, and I couldn't imagine going along to support without running it myself now

Welcome splashthecash! Eerily close to my first marathon time (4:18) while I didn't break 21 minutes for 5k until the summer of 2014.

What was your experience of DCM 2016? I'm looking at your time from that day, and thinking the potential is there to knock a sizeable chunk off that this time around. Some of the sessions in the Boards plan later on are quite tricky, but if you do them well, you'll really feel the benefits. What was your Wexford HM time? Thanks for signing up, and best of luck!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Mon - 10K
    Tue - Walk
    Wed - 10K
    Thur - Walk
    Fri - 5km
    Sat - 5km Parkrun
    Sun - rest

:)

Thanks qb, you're up around 19 miles for the week there, so pretty good overall. Just remember to keep the longer runs very slow, especially with them being so close together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Going out tomorrow morning for an easy 6k, a 45min progression run on Wed then another easy 6k on Thurs with some strides. Ran an 11k LSR yesterday so that should set me up nicely for the IR5 on Saturday.

So looking forward to it. Will only be my third ever race.

Good luck all with the week ahead.

henrietta wrote: »
    Kmagic I agree with you. (Don't know how to quote posts). I signed up here a few weeks ago and am sometimes a little intimidated too reading everyone else's times progress etc but I think we should still post away and join in. I have seen nothing but support on here for everyone and it's probably our own insecurities that make us fear joining in.

As for my runs lately, I got my lsr up to 10miles last weekend and felt good even worrying I was going to fast for an lsr, really felt yeah I can actually do this marathon thing. Stuck with the 10 miles again this week as didnt want to push to hard too soon and had an awful run, was way slower and thought id never get there had me really doubting myself. I suppose we will all have bad days even this early on.

On a good note I did an 8k race on Monday hoping for just under 45 mins and 'flew' home at 43:54! Delighted! Was intimidated at start as usual with everyone in their race t-shirts (from other runs) and looking like they knew what they were doing and me in a vest from Tesco but I held my own and reminded myself we are all on our own race and appearances aren't everything.

How did you feel running the 10 mile? Was your breathing ok, did you feel relaxed?
    That's a great result for your race :) and you're right, don't worry about what other people are wearing, concentrate on your own performance and hopefully all will come good :D

Finished out the week with a 10 k run in a PB of 57:41 yesterday :D The plan I'm following for the Clontarf half called for a 10 k race but I just decided to go out by myself and try to push it. Found it hard to keep the same pace over the whole 10 k (especially when running into that wind yesterday) but delighted with the result at the end! Excited to try out a proper 10 k race now.
    Looking forward to the week ahead, where I have planned 5 miles easy Tues, 8 miles pace Wed, 5 miles easy Thurs, 5 miles pace Sat and 11 miles easy Sun. Will be glad when I get to next Sunday afternoon and I am resting with my feet up, as this is the highest mileage week before the Marathon plan itself kicks in. Hopefully it will stand to me in the weeks to come.
    Best of luck to everyone taking part in the Irish Runner 5 mile this Sat. Would love to be racing it myself but it's also my Mum's Birthday so I'll be heading home this weekend instead. Hope it goes well for everyone, the most important thing is to enjoy it!

Great work there, the experience of running into the wind should set you up nicely for Clontarf :) good luck with the running this week!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Spotted an ad for chocolate milk on the side of a bus today. Well timed for marathon training season. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi excitementcity,

You are more than welcome to join us!

There's some very impressive times in there, and even since the twins came along, a lot of work under your belt. I'm laughing reading the bits about the 24 hour race (my emphasis). Way beyond me, now and for the foreseeable future :D (I haven't raced longer than a marathon) What was your training like in the build up to that?

I like the idea of not being stuck on getting a particular time, especially if you're only getting back into the swing of things. But you've plenty of running experience already, and this should stand to you as you progress. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Hi Wubble Wubble. Thank you for having me on board. Looking forward to it now. Yeah the 24 hour one was really interesting. It was really because we wanted to do a big challenge to do some fundraising as one of our twins had to undergo heart surgery in Crumlin so we wanted to pay it back. I didn't do any mad training. The way I saw it was it was roughly 3xhalf marathons. So as long as I could complete 10 miles-13 miles in two hours I just thought that's what I need to do...then do that 3 times over! But I did have 4 hours break in between each time to recover so I really didn't do any specific training. You'd be well capable I'm sure! It's all in the mind as they say.

• Advertisement

Another Week Over - 20 To Go!!!

We are getting ever closer to Week 1 of the HHN1 and the Boards plans. Thanks again to everyone, both Novices and guest contributors, who has added to the thread. Great to have so much positivity here :D

So how has everyone else been getting on? Post your updates here and I'll pop back later and comment (or if I don't, one of my glamorous assistants will :D)

So for me last week Mon 4 miles , Tues 3 miles Wed 4 miles (with twins in buggy), Friday 5 miles long run (very tired during this run but still proud of myself to ave 10 min miles) and parkrun sat 3.1 miles 27:40 (this nearly killed me! Sunday and Thurs rest. Today 4 miles. Feeling very tired these days for some reason but once I get running I seem good. Few niggles in my knees and ankles but I think that might be fine. Just my body getting used to it. Really enjoying the running at the moment though.

Irish Runner 5 Mile, Saturday June 17, Phoenix Park

Although this race takes place before our plans start as such, there's generally a fair bit of interest among the Novices, and this year seems no different.

With this in mind, I'll try give you a bit of a guide to the course.

It has changed from previous years, and the race is no longer part of the Race Series, but that shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of it.

Start/Mile 1

As with previous years, due to the numbers there will be wave starts i.e. you won't all be going off together. If you're not sure what wave you should be in, feel free to ask here. Regardless of where you start, it will be very hectic, and you'll find lots of maniacs tearing off. Ignore them, and concentrate on your own race.

The first mile begins with a downhill stretch along Chesterfield towards the Phoenix Monument before turning left onto Odd Lamp Road. As I mentioned, very easy to get caught up in the madness with a downhill start. The route levels off on Odd Lamp Road, and there shouldn't be anything to worry you until you take the sharp left onto the North Road. The profile changes to a slow, slightly uphill drag, and the wind can be against you too.

Mile 2

Shortly after you pass the Hole In The Wall pub, you'll begin the second mile and continue ever so slightly uphill. The route gets very exposed after you pass Ashtown Gate (1.25 miles approx.) as you lose the tree cover before you drop downhill towards the Mountjoy Roundabout. At the roundabout, you'll turn left, and although the first few yards are slightly uphill, you go downhill again towards the 2 mile marker.

Mile 3

Immediately after passing the mile marker, you turn around and go up the other side of Chesterfield Avenue, to the roundabout, where you turn left again, onto Ordnance Survey Road this time. Shortly after halfway, you'll pass the OSI HQ and hopefully you'll still be in good shape. There's a sharp little dip just after you turn right at the crossroads, but it doesn't last long and shouldn't take too much out of you.

Mile 4

If you've judged your race correctly, this is where you'll really start to make up places. There may be a wind in your face as you head along "Oldtown Road" towards Knockmaroon Gate. However, once you turn left and head for the Furry Glen, you're into a superfast downhill for about a quarter of a mile until you reach the pond. It's tempting to really go full tilt here, but you've got to save some energy for the tough climb away from the pond. It starts off easy enough, but gets steadily steeper to the top, and then the sharp turn onto the Upper Glen Road has caught numerous runners out over the years (myself included, more than once!) You're still climbing slightly towards the twisty section through the trees and the end of this mile.

Mile 5

Last one now, time to start really pushing if you haven't already. Seeing runners passing the pond far below will tell you just how much you've ascended in a short distance. There's no more hills to climb, and if you're lucky, you'll have the breeze behind you for the final stretch along Furze Road. It's very straight, and you'll be able to see the finish line from nearly half a mile out. Go for it, you might as well :) and if you're passing loads of people here, you won't want that straight to end :D

Anyway, hope this little guide will be of use to some of you. Best of luck to all lining up!

Kmagic wrote: »
    Having read every page of the thread I feel like I have to comment.

I've read every post and all along I'm thinking "I'm running less distance than them" or "my 12 minute mile pace is too slow" and I realised other people are probably in a similar position to me thinking the same thing and not posting.

I probably may not ever be able to run a sub 25 minute 5k, i can't even do under 30 minute YET.

But for anyone else reading this now, if your pace is a 15 minute mile or 6 minute miles, we all chafe the same, we all feel the same post long run hunger and we will all feel the same thrill at the starting line on the day.

So dont compare yourself to others on here. You're running against the distance, and yourself. And we will all have many PBs recorded over the next while.

So onwards for upwards for everyone!!!

I couldn't agree more. I think everyone can totally get in danger of comparing themselves to others and not feeling in the same boat, but the brilliant thing about running and the marathon in general is that the race is truly with yourself and all about improving yourself it really has nothing to do with anyone else.

In my mind anyway it's about committing to something, working hard for an extended period of time and reaping the rewards of crossing the finish line knowing you gave something your all. Especially when you will also have work, family, friends and life to contend with along the way.

Hi Wubble Wubble. Thank you for having me on board. Looking forward to it now. Yeah the 24 hour one was really interesting. It was really because we wanted to do a big challenge to do some fundraising as one of our twins had to undergo heart surgery in Crumlin so we wanted to pay it back. I didn't do any mad training. The way I saw it was it was roughly 3xhalf marathons. So as long as I could complete 10 miles-13 miles in two hours I just thought that's what I need to do...then do that 3 times over! But I did have 4 hours break in between each time to recover so I really didn't do any specific training. You'd be well capable I'm sure! It's all in the mind as they say.

Fair play, you've such a positive attitude towards it. And for a great cause too.
    So for me last week Mon 4 miles , Tues 3 miles Wed 4 miles (with twins in buggy), Friday 5 miles long run (very tired during this run but still proud of myself to ave 10 min miles) and parkrun sat 3.1 miles 27:40 (this nearly killed me! Sunday and Thurs rest. Today 4 miles. Feeling very tired these days for some reason but once I get running I seem good. Few niggles in my knees and ankles but I think that might be fine. Just my body getting used to it. Really enjoying the running at the moment though.

Parkrun I'm not too bad most weeks, although there have been a couple of times where I've been tempted to step off and go home. Sure who would know? ;) Never actually did that, mind you. Running 4 miles with twins in a buggy would nearly kill me, regardless of the pace :D

Fair play, you've such a positive attitude towards it. And for a great cause too.

Parkrun I'm not too bad most weeks, although there have been a couple of times where I've been tempted to step off and go home. Sure who would know? ;) Never actually did that, mind you. Running 4 miles with twins in a buggy would nearly kill me, regardless of the pace :D

Hahah thanks...I could lend you a couple of twins and you could try it out :p

Great race guide Wubble, excellent stuff. Thanks a mill.

This thread is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

quickbeam wrote: »
    And now that I've managed to do a 10km, I've been brave enough to sign up for the Fingal 10K, and sure, while I was at it, I signed up for the FD10 and the HM too. I'm still not brave enough to actually sign up for the DCM though. We'll see how the other races go. I'm excited.

Just a few more clicks on your computer...

Been hunting around trying to find a gym that offers pay as you go. Can't justify paying full or even off peak membership when I'll only be using it once or twice a week.

None seemed to offer it, well Citywest did but they wanted a lump up front. Just discovered a small place that will do it for me, and it's about a ten minute walk from my house. Never even knew it existed. Great stuff.

Now to get advice on core work and strenght training.

Wubble wubble great guide!! so do we pick the wave we go out in! picking the pacers is it sorry if that is a silly question!

Lazare good luck and I will be there as well a good group of us are heading up

• Advertisement

Thats setting you up nicely for the start of the plan. Make sure to take the easy runs easy.
    On your long run on Sunday, take note of how you feel in the last 2 miles - the long runs should be practice for the marathon, with the same breakfasts, same nutrition etc as the mileage builds.

Advertisement