Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Ah feck, didn't mean to be boasty. Was just shocked when I saw it.

Haha me too! Great days for some, an excellent day for all who finished. Let's enjoy the results of the group as a whole, we were in it together. :)

Ah I was going either way. Can't wait for it, the first time I can really run it since May.

Are you racing it? Like really giving it everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Jaysis, I overtook 3966 people from 10k to the line. :eek:

Happy with that.

Fantastic! You deserve to be proud of yourself.

skyblue46 wrote: »

They are really short on pacers tomorrow for ours and I like doing pacing but afraid to put my hand up tomorrow in case I find my legs suddenly not behaving!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    They are really short on pacers tomorrow for ours and I like doing pacing but afraid to put my hand up tomorrow in case I find my legs suddenly not behaving!

You might be surprised. I was wrecked on Wednesday and could barely run. Today I stuck the watch under a wristband, decided to run easy by feel and ended up being faster than any training run in weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Gonna run it as hard as I can and see where I'm at. I'm not giving it everything though, if I was I wouldn't have just opened another beer :)

I haven't done a Parkrun since December. Never saw pacers. Is it common now?

You might be surprised. I was wrecked on Wednesday and could barely run. Today I stuck the watch under a wristband, decided to run easy by feel and ended up being faster than any training run in weeks!

The knee is good then?

Griffeen has them once a month, the last Saturday of the month.

Gonna run it as hard as I can and see where I'm at. I'm not giving it everything though, if I was I wouldn't have just opened another beer :)

Had a few myself.....every night this week!!! In work for 3.30 now so I'll say goodnight. Hope everyone enjoys their runs tomorrow

• Advertisement

Griffeen has them once a month, the last Saturday of the month.

First Saturday of every month for ours. I’ll see how I feel in the morning and if they are looking for somebody still I might offer. Then at the same time it might be nice to tear around and see how I do myself!

The knee is good then?

Fingers crossed, FX to the with it folks, it seems to be. Don't think I'm out of the woods yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Fantastic! You deserve to be proud of yourself.

Sorry to interrupt but how do you find out how many people you passed?

See post #5656 ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So here we are...Race Report time. How in the name of God did I get here?

~

Mile 26.2
    Wait..i haven't done it. There's the .2 left to do!! WTF is that finish line doing all the way up there? That's not .2. They've made a mistake. Bring it closer please!! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The noise seems deafening but I still don't look...eyes on the prize! On the line I catch the 3:50 pacers...YESSSSSSS!! Sub 3:50...it must be! I look down at my watch. I don't remember stopping it but I must have using some stored reflex action. 3:47:20.! And then it hits me....

I very much remember this. :D:eek::pac:

Signed up for 2018 yesterday. :cool:

If you go here and look at your results you can see what place you are at when you pass 10km, halfway and so on so you can work out how many people you passed then. http://www.tdleventservices.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Hi All

Just back from a break (physical and mental) - so haven't been online since Monday.

Now if only I had heeded my own advice...............

Sorry to see you had a bad day and WW as Singer said in another log the curse of been a mentor this year seems to have taken a few out.

I think you probably did follow your own advice ,I remember watching an interview with a 2.16 marathon runner and he was talking about failing at the marathon , bonking DNF'ing or whatever and I remember he said he has failed at over 50% of his marathons. I was surprised by this but he explained its much more common as you start pushing your body close to the limit and targeting times like sub 3 etc. for things to go wrong , and when they do go wrong they show up more than someone chasing a 4 hour time. So just consider yourself a pro , you still ran a time 99% of the population would be delighted with.

Echo what clicker says AMK.

Btw, your advice last Saturday about rest being the important thing and not to worry if you're not sleeping could not have been timed better, and could not have been more helpful.

I spoke to so many people who benefited from that one little nugget. Every little bit of prep helps but I know I would not have hit my target had I not been so chilled out the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

First off congratulations to all you Graduates - great performances by all. I'm still catching up on logs and race reports, having had a busy few days since last Sunday.
    If there was one bit of advice I could give right now it would be about recovery. What you all have just done - months of hard training and running your first marathon - is a fantastic achievement. It is one, however, which has taken a physical toll on all your bodies. Do not be in a hurry to get back to hard training and racing. A few recovery runs a week for the next few weeks is more than enough - and build back up the mileage slowly. Don't fret about losing fitness. The marathon will leave your legs heavy and your bodies tired for the next while and it may feel like you've gone backwards. But if you give the recovery time, you'll regain that fitness faster than it took you to get it in the first place. The adaptations you've made during marathon training will still be there. If you push too hard now all you'll do is delay and prolong your recovery and possibly get injured. Relax, bask in the glory of your achievements and just enjoy a few gentle runs for the next while.
    This comes from both advice I have received myself and personal experience. One trap I fell into was going out too hard one day pretty soon after a marathon because I felt ok - but it took me ages to recover from that run and I nearly felt worse the next day than I did after the marathon, because I wasn't fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

This time last week...?

• Advertisement

benwed wrote: »
    This time last week...?

No ZZZZ but no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi everyone, I know this is not DCM related. I'm looking for advice and since this the novice thread hopefully I get some advice here. I'll be starting marathon training from December, aiming for Limerick City Marathon which is on 6th of May. It will be my first marathon. Was looking for training plan, lots of them online. I know the Hal Higdon plans are popular, however not sure which one to choose. I also like the asics plans. Any recommendations? Been running for a year, done 4 half marathons, PB 1:59:12. Would a sub 4 hours be achievable? I'm looking to fully commit to it, and also work on my weight. Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I know this is not DCM related. I'm looking for advice and since this the novice thread hopefully I get some advice here. I'll be starting marathon training from December, aiming for Limerick City Marathon which is on 6th of May. It will be my first marathon. Was looking for training plan, lots of them online. I know the Hal Higdon plans are popular, however not sure which one to choose. I also like the asics plans. Any recommendations? Been running for a year, done 4 half marathons, PB 1:59:12. Would a sub 4 hours be achievable? I'm looking to fully commit to it, and also work on my weight. Thanks a lot.

Best advice to give you is don't start marathon training that soon. People fall into a vicious cycle of block after block building up there aerobic engine without looking at the other elements of what make a runner whole - low injury risk, efficient in there stride and form, good turnover, mental toughness

This does not mean that you can't train to prepare for a marathon in May but just rather focus for a while on things aside from the mileage. Do that and suddenly you will hit your stride (pun very much intended) come Feb and Mar when you really need it in the heavy stages of training.

People tend to get in a habit of lumbering from one Marathon cycle to another which is a huge mental investment (as well as physical) so its nice to focus on other aspects that will help you in the long run. Tackle a few more races across distances for a month or two to keep you honest over the christmas time

The stuff people will advise as key (correctly)

work to 4-6 days a week
    2-3 easy days running
    1-2 sessions (hills, fartlek, intervals, progression runs, tempos)
    A long run (90 min - 2 hrs)

The stuff people overlook which but is just as crucial and will make huge differences;

Strides - After Easy Runs (once or twice a week)
    Stretching and Mobility work (people with the no stretching being backed by science aspect don't tell the full story)
    Strength and Conditioning (maybe once a week)
    Drills (2-3 times a week)
    Plyometrics

The other stuff that can be worked on before the training volume becomes the be all and end all:

Implementing good recovery techniques
    Implementing postitive lifestyles
    Implementing good sleep patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Best advice to give you is don't start marathon training that soon. People fall into a vicious cycle of block after block building up there aerobic engine without looking at the other elements of what make a runner whole - low injury risk, efficient in there stride and form, good turnover, mental toughness

This does not mean that you can't train to prepare for a marathon in May but just rather focus for a while on things aside from the mileage. Do that and suddenly you will hit your stride (pun very much intended) come Feb and Mar when you really need it in the heavy stages of training.

People tend to get in a habit of lumbering from one Marathon cycle to another which is a huge mental investment (as well as physical) so its nice to focus on other aspects that will help you in the long run. Tackle a few more races across distances for a month or two to keep you honest over the christmas time

work to 4-6 days a week
    2-3 easy days running

The stuff people overlook which but is just as crucial and will make huge differences;

Stretching and Mobility work (people with the no stretching being backed by science aspect don't tell the full story)
    Plyometrics

The other stuff that can be worked on before the training volume becomes the be all and end all:

Some excellent advice I am actually looking forward to working on speed and working on my 5k time but want to keep myself half marathon fit and incorporate more strength and conditioning, I 100% agree it is key to preventing injuries when you increase the volume each week in marathon training.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Some excellent advice I am actually looking forward to working on speed and working on my 5k time but want to keep myself half marathon fit and incorporate more strength and conditioning, I 100% agree it is key to preventing injuries when you increase the volume each week in marathon training.

One thing people forget is that 5k is not a speed event it's a strength event (this is why most elite 5k guys are running 60,70,80 plus miles a week and training can look somewhat similar

Here is a good article on building a good plan that will leave you a good strong 5k-HM runner and in turn translate over to solid base for marathon training

https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-the-5k-puzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

work to 4-6 days a week
    2-3 easy days running

Plyometrics

Thanks a lot. So don't start until January? That would give me 4 months.

Regarding my target time, I know I shouldn't focus too much on time since it will be my first but I kind of need some target time. It give me the boost in training.

Welcome. Probably best not to worry about times yet. Boards plan is excellent and well manageable especially if you have done a few half marathons. Are you training at the moment?

Thanks a lot. So don't start until January? That would give me 4 months.

Regarding my target time, I know I shouldn't focus too much on time since it will be my first but I kind of need some target time. It give me the boost in training.

You didn't do Dublin? I think testerscone is of the impression you did and was advising against starting back on a second marathon training block so soon.

Don't start training specifically for marathon but do start training

I posted this as a very simple training plan elsewhere than touches on turnover, intensity and effort with I feel prepares the body better for marathon training than simply just building mileage like alot of the Hal Higdon and C25k type plans focus around, 3 days a week supplemented by easy running

Session|Rep Time|No. of reps|Recovery Time|Effort|
    1|1 minute|6|3 min|Hard (faster than 5k)|
    2|2 minutes|5|2 min| Steady (5-10k)|
    3|3 minutes|4|1 min|Comfortable (10 mile-HM)|

Build 1 rep per week though if you can't complete a session in a week repeat the week

This plan will see you improve week on week for anything form 2-3 months as long it is supplemented with easy runs other days (minimum 2 40 min runs but ideally 2 and a 75-90 minute run.

• Advertisement

You didn't do Dublin? I think testerscone is of the impression you did and was advising against starting back on a second marathon training block so soon.

Whoops sorry correction however the point still stands. Preparing the body for marathon training is something that does get overlooked (kinda has to as most are coming to it usually just prior to a plan.

This advice is what I would give anyone who is 7 months out from a marathon or longer

Advertisement