Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

First off congratulations to all you Graduates - great performances by all. I'm still catching up on logs and race reports, having had a busy few days since last Sunday.
    If there was one bit of advice I could give right now it would be about recovery. What you all have just done - months of hard training and running your first marathon - is a fantastic achievement. It is one, however, which has taken a physical toll on all your bodies. Do not be in a hurry to get back to hard training and racing. A few recovery runs a week for the next few weeks is more than enough - and build back up the mileage slowly. Don't fret about losing fitness. The marathon will leave your legs heavy and your bodies tired for the next while and it may feel like you've gone backwards. But if you give the recovery time, you'll regain that fitness faster than it took you to get it in the first place. The adaptations you've made during marathon training will still be there. If you push too hard now all you'll do is delay and prolong your recovery and possibly get injured. Relax, bask in the glory of your achievements and just enjoy a few gentle runs for the next while.
    This comes from both advice I have received myself and personal experience. One trap I fell into was going out too hard one day pretty soon after a marathon because I felt ok - but it took me ages to recover from that run and I nearly felt worse the next day than I did after the marathon, because I wasn't fully recovered.

Some good advice there.

My own plan for the next couple weeks is to keep the runs short and relatively easy. Few 5ks a week. Also using the time to refocus on strength and conditioning and mobility training in the gym, the former of which took a back seat in the last couple months before DCM. First session back yesterday and felt great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I know this is not DCM related. I'm looking for advice and since this the novice thread hopefully I get some advice here. I'll be starting marathon training from December, aiming for Limerick City Marathon which is on 6th of May. It will be my first marathon. Was looking for training plan, lots of them online. I know the Hal Higdon plans are popular, however not sure which one to choose. I also like the asics plans. Any recommendations? Been running for a year, done 4 half marathons, PB 1:59:12. Would a sub 4 hours be achievable? I'm looking to fully commit to it, and also work on my weight. Thanks a lot.

I think the Boards plan is very good (link in the first post of this thread). I think it incorporates enough long runs that your body is well used to mileage on the day. You can have a time in mind but that will probably change as you go through training so I wouldn’t be too focused on that for now. As the others have said, S&C is good to be doing now and i’d be getting the body used to doing 4 runs a week and have fun doing various races that are on too. That way you’ll find it easy to go through the first stages of the plan and it’s only in the last 2 months it gets heavy really in terms of long runs. Enjoy the training. Keep DCM in mind for next year. I did it as my second marathon and had a ball. I learned loads from my first that really helped for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Un-stickied, it's the beginning of the end!!!! NOOOO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

podgec10 wrote: »

Indecent haste!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Indecent haste!! :eek:

One week after the marathon seems generous to me :)

Time to move on, folks. Plus, it will stay on the front page as long as you keep posting.

However, I would like to invite you to the rest of the forum. Now that you are all hardened battle veterans you are more than able to contribute. Don't be shy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

podgec10 wrote: »

It's the beginning of your next chapter ;).

Have been slowly getting through the race reports, massive well done to everyone, plenty of goals reached, lessons learned and hope everyone is recovering well and still enjoying the post marathon buzz :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

It's so strange running on Saturday was on the barrow track , I ran a lot of my LSR along it and I had to remind myself it was only 5k not more lol

I've loved this journey we all grew so much in such a short time and learnt so much

I've a few friends who want to run DCM next year I will be pointing them to here and next year's DCM novices thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

One week after the marathon seems generous to me :)

Time to move on, folks. Plus, it will stay on the front page as long as you keep posting.

However, I would like to invite you to the rest of the forum. Now that you are all hardened battle veterans you are more than able to contribute. Don't be shy!

How nice :) Bit I still feel so inferior to all the wise ones in these parts :o I don't know if it's sunk in really that I/we are marathon runners. It seems no length since i was tentatively putting my name in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I would recommend starting a training log on here of you haven't already.....great way of tracking your progress and also for stalking the more experienced folks around these parts for an insight into their training regimes.

I would recommend starting a training log on here of you haven't already.....great way of tracking your progress and also for stalking the more experienced folks around these parts for an insight into their training regimes.

I have commenced the stalking already LOL:D and seriously considering starting a log although mine would be a mixture as I love running and adventure races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I'd love to start a log. I'm really excited to start new types of training instead of just easy/LSR and I think a log would help with people able to give advice etc. I'm just a lurker in that sub! :pac:

Both of you should go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I'd love to start a log. I'm really excited to start new types of training instead of just easy/LSR and I think a log would help with people able to give advice etc. I'm just a lurker in that sub! :pac:

Me too. I think I'll go for it after lunch....armed with some facts and figures of course! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Good luck lads looking forward to reading them and following your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

ariana` wrote: »
    How nice :) Bit I still feel so inferior to all the wise ones in these parts :o I don't know if it's sunk in really that I/we are marathon runners. It seems no length since i was tentatively putting my name in :cool:

Haha no wise ones around here just foolish ones who have already made a mistake you are trying to pre empt that's where the knowledge comes from haha.

My one bit of advice I can give that I have found is that when people are telling you something is there are very few overall right answers more what worked for them but if you can critically look at why it worked for them. Learn that and you will be able to make huge improvements and tailor the answers to your own journey

These logs sound interesting! I need to look at others and see what to do. I love logging my runs and I know how many kilometers I need to do to reach 1000 miles before the end of the year so a log would be great. I need to look around Boards a bit more I think!!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Me too. I think I'll go for it after lunch....armed with some facts and figures of course! :pac:

I would expect nothing less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Presumably you've all seen your FinisherPix photos by now.

I actually got some as well, nothing after the 9 mile mark though :rolleyes:

Funny part is, when I opened mine up, no sign of me in the first two. That's not unusual in itself. But guess who did pop up?

Lazare :D

I wouldn't mind, we weren't even running near other :pac: and I won't be paying for those either :D

Presumably you've all seen your FinisherPix photos by now.

I actually got some as well, nothing after the 9 mile mark though :rolleyes:

Funny part is, when I opened mine up, no sign of me in the first two. That's not unusual in itself. But guess who did pop up?

Lazare :D

I wouldn't mind, we weren't even running near other :pac: and I won't be paying for those either :D

That’s gas considering the number of people running the race. Mine are quite decent so was delighted with them. Another girl did appear in mine too that had a similar number.

I had none except one at the finish when a photographer took our picture and got me to uncover my number, I never noticed I had my hydration pack strap right through the number, only for I stuck with my hubby I would have none of me LOL but in all of his I have a huge big happy grin on my face :D poor hubby is working hard and it shows on his face

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    I had none except one at the finish when a photographer took our picture and got me to uncover my number, I never noticed I had my hydration pack strap right through the number, only for I stuck with my hubby I would have none of me LOL but in all of his I have a huge big happy grin on my face :D poor hubby is working hard and it shows on his face

They do have loads that you can go through and mark as you on the Finisherpix site - might take some time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mine are atrocious, i definitely won't be purchasing them :pac:

I have a training log, i started it this time last year when i was stalking the DCM 2016 Novices and getting notions myself :pac: I can highly recommend it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Only thing putting me off setting up a training log is that I can't think of a clever title for it. Most of the ones up there already have cool names that I could never compete with :) :P

Went for my first run this morning (after walking Tuesday - Saturday last week, a little further and a little faster each time). It was short, less than 3km, and I felt like I gave it my all - I wanted to see what sort of pace I could manage. It *felt* fast, but worked out only at 6:30 pace. Not even close to what I need to equal my current 5km PB, never mind smash the 30 minutes. But legs, thighs, shins, ankles, knees, heart and lungs all still in working order, so that's a positive! I plan to increase a little each run this week to a total of 3 runs. Then from next week increase again each distance and do four runs, including my first Parkrun back, where hopefully I'll get a PB.

"Quickbeam me to the finish line" sorted!
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Only thing putting me off setting up a training log is that I can't think of a clever title for it. Most of the ones up there already have cool names that I could never compete with :) :P

Went for my first run this morning (after walking Tuesday - Saturday last week, a little further and a little faster each time). It was short, less than 3km, and I felt like I gave it my all - I wanted to see what sort of pace I could manage. It *felt* fast, but worked out only at 6:30 pace. Not even close to what I need to equal my current 5km PB, never mind smash the 30 minutes. But legs, thighs, shins, ankles, knees, heart and lungs all still in working order, so that's a positive! I plan to increase a little each run this week to a total of 3 runs. Then from next week increase again each distance and do four runs, including my first Parkrun back, where hopefully I'll get a PB.

"Quickbeam me to the finish line" sorted!

That is brilliant love it :)

Quickbeam I am thinking of using one of my favourite motivational quotes for mine :) good on you getting out, you will smash that parkrun PB before you know it.

Ariana, I am following yours for a while now :) I have been silently reading others but being brave and saying hello now LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

May start one too - might motivate me to keep up some runs even when back playing football

QB, I had the same thought earlier about what to call one when I had a look at them.

Ariana, I had a look at yours. We ran such a similar marathon that a lot of what you said could have been me talking.

I’ll have to venture to other threads and see where to go next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Baby75 wrote: »
    That is brilliant love it :)

Quickbeam I am thinking of using one of my favourite motivational quotes for mine :) good on you getting out, you will smash that parkrun PB before you know it.

Ariana, I am following yours for a while now :) I have been silently reading others but being brave and saying hello now LOL

Where do you find people’s training logs? Do you have to stalk out people or is there somewhere to find all of them?

Where do you find people’s training logs? Do you have to stalk out people or is there somewhere to find all of them?

Here are the running training logs https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1139

also, these are the training logs for adventure, tri, Duathlon sports enthusiasts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1552

some really excellent ones that you can learn a lot from :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What the hell!

Advertisement